Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 23:15:49
New book in May.

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moonbeast Posted - 14 Feb 2018 : 19:03:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always assumed the third syllable rhymed with high, not with hay.

That said, I know that officially, drow rhymes with cow -- but I've always said it so it rhymes with know. I'm such a rebel, in that regard.

Rebellion is fine. Just don't mind me when I say FAY-ROON.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Feb 2018 : 09:11:29
Why can’t Dhaerrow be pronounced De-Row (like cow)?

— George Krashos
CorellonsDevout Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 23:29:43
I have always pronounced "dr-ow", as in rhyming with cow lol, despite it's origins, which, as MT pointed out, is likely pronounced "oh".
Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 23:19:50
I was going to actually prove my point in my above post, but when I researched it, I realized something: 'Drow' comes from 'Trow' which is where we get 'Troll' from, and 'troll' has a long-'o' sound. Thus, it probably should be Trô (but except for when I see videos online, or have gone to conventions, I've never heard anyone in person say it that way). If fact, when I did hear an 'official type' person speak at a con, they actually used both (..."the Droi... or Drow... if you prefer..."). So sometimes we have to ditch 'the rules' and just go with what everyone is using. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there'd be any clear winner here.

If everyone in Menzoberranzan can misprononce their own god's name for over 30 years ('Lloth', as opposed to 'Lolth'), then i suppose we cans ay both versions of the of the name are correct.

In D^D, the word 'Drow' is a debased form of Dhaerrow(sp?), which means 'traitor'. This is why I always thought the 'o' should have a short sound, because its not supposed to based on 'Trow' (even though we know it is).

(And trying to find the right spelling for that made me find the original lore about the Godswar (CBoE), and now I know I am right - the elves WERE created AFTER the Godswar. Since the Eladrin are a Creator race, then they had to have come before that, since the fey and others are mentioned earlier in the lore.)
Irennan Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 21:38:38
quote:

That said, I know that officially, drow rhymes with cow -- but I've always said it so it rhymes with know. I'm such a rebel, in that regard.

I'm the same. I hate the sound of drow rhyming with cow. Drow rhyming with know sounds much more fluid to me, especially when I have to say it in a phrase in my language.
Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 20:40:41
I always said 'SHAD-er-kie'.

But I also say 'Mie-stra' (I was very upset after hearing people speak at Gencon... they were all getting it WRONG! Even Ed!"

And most recently, I found out I've been saying 'fay-run' all wrong (which I should have known, but I was being lazy).

Drow are drow... stop saying 'droe'. Thats wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Just watched a video of Mike Mearls talking about their upcoming Moe's Tome of Foes.

So what else did he have to say about the book? Got a link?

Hopefully we can get this scroll back on topic..

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

However, if you watch his earlier videos on...

Gith

Tiamat

Tieflings

Illithid

Origin of Elves

To get the full picture of what we are about to get.

sleyvas Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 19:55:16
always said KAY not KAI (assuming that KAI is like KIE?)
Brimstone Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 18:53:49
quote:

Just watched a video of Mike Mearls talking about their upcoming Moe's Tome of Foes.

So what else did he have to say about the book? Got a link?

Hopefully we can get this scroll back on topic..
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 15:38:28

Scots Dragon Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 14:45:13
quote:

Mike pronounced it MOR-DEN-KAY-NEN

Me and my fellow D&D players have always pronounced it the (traditionally) Finnish way, although none of us are Finns: MOR-DEN-KAI-NEN

How do you pronounce it? Does anyone know if Gygax or Greenwood ever said the correct way to pronounce his name?

Given that it's derived from Mordecai and Lemminkainen, it ought to be the Finnish way.
moonbeast Posted - 12 Feb 2018 : 11:51:21

Mike pronounced it MOR-DEN-KAY-NEN

Me and my fellow D&D players have always pronounced it the (traditionally) Finnish way, although none of us are Finns: MOR-DEN-KAI-NEN

How do you pronounce it? Does anyone know if Gygax or Greenwood ever said the correct way to pronounce his name?
moonbeast Posted - 10 Feb 2018 : 18:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Half-halflings and double-wookies?

Wouldn't half-halflings be called Quarterlings?

CorellonsDevout Posted - 10 Feb 2018 : 01:12:13
I'll buy it, just for lore updates, if nothing else.
Ayrik Posted - 08 Feb 2018 : 21:34:58
Half-halflings and double-wookies?
sleyvas Posted - 08 Feb 2018 : 12:54:10
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What about the late 2018 Strahd's Guide to Building Better Relationships?

Its guide to hybrids, 'halves', and crossbreeding...

Cool, Hopefully its got rules for half-dragon, half-troll, half-construct, half-vampire, halflings
Markustay Posted - 08 Feb 2018 : 05:51:05
What about the late 2018 Strahd's Guide to Building Better Relationships?

Its guide to hybrids, 'halves', and crossbreeding...
Scots Dragon Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 08:55:35
quote:

quote:

Next WotC book due in late September: Bigby's Big Beefy Beastiary

Is that a cookbook?

A licensed Dungeons & Dragons tie-in to the manga series Delicious in Dungeon, obviously.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 05:41:45
quote:

Is that a cookbook?
moonbeast Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 01:21:47

Markustay Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 01:04:15
I've made my own explanation to the Shadar-Kai elsewhere (even gave them a sub0name: Shader-Kai), connecting Gydion from RL to the Shades, Hope they do something like that.

I also hope - since the seem to be converging the Shadowfell to some degree - they cover the Malaugrym, but something tells me, given the title, they will avoid realms-specific 'monsters' (although, with their new 'universal' approach to D&D, Malaugrym should just be D&D monsters now, not FR, especially given they don't even live in the Realms).

Considering the shapeshifting and where they're going with the elves, they may even plan on combining the Malaugrym with the Shadar-Kai somehow. Maybe the Malaugrym can become the 'Shadar-Kai nobles', or some-such (I don't like it - just trying to second guess what they would do).

quote:

No one has nibbled on the Bolded part yet...
Oh, you mean the song I've been singing since back when I was a heavy-poster on the WotC boards?

ALL fey are shapeshifters - its the nature of the feywild - its 'in flux' (nothing, not even physical matter, is 'stable'). Fey that have been out of the Feywild too long (several generations, with no periodic visits) lose their fey heritage abilities. Its really the only explanation for everything. Nice to know someone was listening to me (I knew they were, after they did that thing with Gruumsh and Corellon). Whats that saying? "The squeaky wheel gets the lore"?

The whole book - excpt maybe the parts about the Bloodwar, has me highly interested. Its all stuff I keep talking about. Can't wait to find out the deal with the Gith and Tiamat.
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Doesn't rattle me - and explains Lythari and winged elves a lot better.
And the sea elves... who just look longingly at the sea and then become... sea elves...
Markustay Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 00:52:06
I hated the title at first, but I've warmed up to it. Mordenkainen was once THE 'D&D Mage', before anyone ever heard of that El-whatsis guy.

And I hate to admit this, but I will be buying this as soon as it comes out - I am both dreading and eagerly anticipating it.

quote:

And the next product after that will be Raistlin's Book of Things Entirely Unconnected to Krynn.
That will be the Darksun campaign guide.

The Dragonlance campaign guide will be entitled, A Warforged guide to someplace he's never been".
Ayrik Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 00:10:15
I personally find the bolded part about elves utterly disinteresting. Utterly disinteresting.

I'm very interested in the snippets about giths and mindflayers, devils and yugoloths and tieflings and the Blood War, planar/cosmological conflicts, new planar races, Shemeska the Marauder, etc. Even if it's post-3E pseudolore.

Not to dismiss all the stuff about elves, drows, shadar-kai, and fey as being unimportant. Just saying that stuff is as unimportant and useless to me as stuff about giths and tieflings and planeslore might be to others.
This tome looks to be a big Volo-style collection of loosely-unrelated things, a little bit of something for everyone.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 22:53:29
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Not only that, but it's not uncommon for fae to be some sort of shapeshifters. So it doesn't surprise me that before "locking in" their current forms, the proto-elves had variable forms.
George Krashos Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 21:18:19
quote:

-- George Krashos
Brimstone Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 21:11:13
Zeromaru X Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 21:02:26
I guess they already did that in an UA. I want to see what changes they did to they idea in the book, though.
moonbeast Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 19:53:30
Tiefling sub races based on their ancestry traced to a specific ArchDevil .... I kinda like that idea
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 16:15:59
Hmm. A couple of those things sound interesting.

And it mentions Greyhawk... So at least there is some connection, however tenuous, to the setting the title implies a connection to.
Brimstone Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 15:03:59
quote:
What we know in no particular order (thanks to various posters below):
130+ pages of monsters
Structurally similar to Volo's Guide to Monsters
"Conflict-themed"
Blood War, Githzerai vs Githyanki, elves vs drow, dwarves vs. duergar, other planar conflicts; also under dark vs planar conflicts such a Gith vs Mindflayers.
Greyhawk is the primary example for the core race lore
At least half the monsters are CR 10 or above
Advice on running high CR monsters
Focus on cosmological conflicts
Gith, mindflayers, drow, elves, elastin, shadar-kai as an elven sub-race, sea elves
Shadar Kai gain Trance, Fey Ancestory, Keen Senses, Elvish, (they had Darkvision already), and a 700 year life span (or more)
Many monsters are Shadowfell-related
Guide to Planes for DMs
Planar subraces
Backgrounds for tieflings
8 tiefling subraces: Zariel, Mephosilies, Belzebub, Feirna/Beliel, Glaysa, Levisitus, Dispater, Mammon
Cultists (abyssal and infernal)
Archedevil and demon cults
Devil society, hierarchy, government, bureaucracy
All common races except humans touched on
Shemeska the Maurader
Leviathan as an Elder Elemental that is Tarrasque level
Playable Mindflayers will never, ever be a thing in D&D
Plenty of random tables for both DMs and players
Clockwork constructs built by gnomes
Gnome invention table
Non-humanoid eldarin
New yugoloths
Elves have so many different forms because they used to be shapeshifters before their fall from being Fey
Brimstone Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 14:56:06
The Tome is going to add the Gith and some other Races...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000