Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt novel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CylverSaber Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 13:54:10
Looks like Realms novels are back, and have been licensed to HarperCollins.

"At long last, New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do’Urden.

R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle—an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth’s ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three."

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596&page=1

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book/9780062688583/unti-drizzt-1/
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KraziJoe Posted - 19 Feb 2019 : 16:07:30
Just saw that Timeless is on sale at US Amazon for $2.99 for Kindle edition.
Might be for certain people so Your mileage may vary.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 04 Nov 2018 : 16:12:36
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

This drizzt novel is a bit different. So I asking myself, is it canon? Haven't red it yet, but normally novel stuff is transportet into the FR. Like jarlaxle/luskan and the dragon heist adventure.

Pretty sure it's canon (most FR novels are). It's a continuation of where Hero left off, so it is at least canon with the Drizzt storyline, and deals with plot points started in Homecoming.
Petra_W Posted - 04 Nov 2018 : 15:24:06
This drizzt novel is a bit different. So I asking myself, is it canon? Haven't red it yet, but normally novel stuff is transportet into the FR. Like jarlaxle/luskan and the dragon heist adventure.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Apr 2018 : 03:09:10
I would also question what that one book was, when this analysis was taken as opposed to when the book was published, and how large a span of time this analysis covered.

One of the interesting things about numbers like that is you can make them dance and sing and tell any story you want, just by how you collect and present your data.

If the book in question was long out of print and only being sold by resellers, when this analysis was done, then yeah, one book a day is to be expected. Or if it was the first book and the analysis only covered a period of time after the release of the last book. Or if the analysis was only covering a three-day span in the middle of a non-gift-related holiday week. And so on.
Mirtek Posted - 17 Apr 2018 : 23:51:01
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Plenty of EU conutries don't have a local amazon though, that and bookdepository prices are often cheaper.

But with the six big european sites, amazon is including the smaller countries (e.g. portugal being covered by amazon.es and BeNeLux, Austria, Switzerland being covered by .fr and .de) But that's off topic

Amazon has a huge market share in books, dominating both printed and ebook markets for a reason.

B&N and other chains, the small independent stores, bookdepository, etc. are all way behind Amazon's share. Even all of them put together may not not beat amazon.

But even if we're being generous and saying amazon only has a quarter of the book sales, less than 1 book per day times four still isn't much.
Tanthalas Posted - 17 Apr 2018 : 21:06:55
Plenty of EU conutries don't have a local amazon though, that and bookdepository prices are often cheaper.
Mirtek Posted - 16 Apr 2018 : 22:26:38
quote:

For example, many EU countries stopped being eligible for amazon free delivery, and instead get them from bookdepository.
Or simply use their local amazon.fr/.es/.it/.de/.co.uK/.etc instead of .com
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Apr 2018 : 21:31:47
Maybe they would find more profits if they acutally gave copies for bookstores to stock again. I go into a B&N store and all I see is Drizzt.
Tanthalas Posted - 16 Apr 2018 : 21:03:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
The question is whether the FR novels in particular were actually more profitable, not just novels in general.

For what it's worth someone once tried some analysis of Amazon sales ranks on one of the Brimstone novels and concluded that it sold less than 1 book a day on amazon.

Seems like in the end the only FR novels really selling significant numbers were Drizzt's

Who knows how many units her book sold, but amazon isn't the only place to buy books from. For example, many EU countries stopped being eligible for amazon free delivery, and instead get them from bookdepository.
Mirtek Posted - 14 Apr 2018 : 20:11:21
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

You got to remember though that other sites sell books plus people still buy at actual bookstores. So those books would have sold much better overall than those numbers might indicate.
Even if Amazon only has a 20% share (I'd guess more than that), that's still not that many books (if the analysis was valid in the first place)
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

Erin was selling well enough that they put her books into hardcover if I remember right. That is usually only done if there are enough sale's numbers.
Or it was agreed in advance based on memories of better times for sales of FR novels.

Remember, they even wanted to leave the series unfinished and she had to fight to get the last novel released at all.
Lamora Posted - 14 Apr 2018 : 19:49:22
You got to remember though that other sites sell books plus people still buy at actual bookstores. So those books would have sold much better overall than those numbers might indicate. Erin was selling well enough that they put her books into hardcover if I remember right. That is usually only done if there are enough sale's numbers.
Mirtek Posted - 14 Apr 2018 : 18:39:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

quote:

The business decisions of WotC are oft unfathomable.

Well, I won't argue with that part. But this part:

quote:

the more profitable business of novels

is no longer accurate, though of course it once was so. Commercially, fifth edition D&D is a mega-success. The sales figures are unprecedented.

Perhaps so, but from what I understand, it costs less to bring a novel to market and thus there was a considerably higher profit margin on novels. But the company had some fundamental opposition to being a company that published novels, so even though it made more money for them, they got out of it.

The question is whether the FR novels in particular were actually more profitable, not just novels in general.

For what it's worth someone once tried some analysis of Amazon sales ranks on one of the Brimstone novels and concluded that it sold less than 1 book a day on amazon.

Seems like in the end the only FR novels really selling significant numbers were Drizzt's
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 21:39:38
quote:

quote:

quote:

is no longer accurate, though of course it once was so. Commercially, fifth edition D&D is a mega-success. The sales figures are unprecedented.

Perhaps so, but from what I understand, it costs less to bring a novel to market and thus there was a considerably higher profit margin on novels. But the company had some fundamental opposition to being a company that published novels, so even though it made more money for them, they got out of it.
John Daker Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 21:28:52
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 20:19:28
quote:

quote:
Except for the fact that WotC still has to agree to it, since they own the characters and the IP.

But no one at WotC ever (publicly) said they didn't want more novels, only that they didn't want to be the ones publishing them. And now they're not the publisher, HarperCollins is. So why would WotC veto a compelling pitch for a novel from an established and talented author?

I can think of two reasons why they might say no:

1) They have stated many times that the slow publishing pace for 5e (three RPG books a year, though maybe four in 2018) is absolutely deliberate. It is a result of their (probably correct) belief that many potential players were turned off by the huge number of supplements for previous editions. They might want to keep new D&D-branded novels to a similarly slow pace, for the same reasons. This might be why it appears that Timeless might be published without any D&D or FR branding on the cover.

2) Like any custodians of a valuable brand, their top priority is "don't damage the brand." It's possible they want to keep the game as PG as possible -- or as PC as possible. And some of the existing Realms novels are neither.

These are both wrongheaded, and I hope they don't represent WotC's actual thinking about the matter. But it's certainly possible.

I'll answer your question with another: Why would WotC decide to get out of the more profitable business of novels to focus exclusively on game material?

John Daker Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 20:05:41
quote:
Except for the fact that WotC still has to agree to it, since they own the characters and the IP.

But no one at WotC ever (publicly) said they didn't want more novels, only that they didn't want to be the ones publishing them. And now they're not the publisher, HarperCollins is. So why would WotC veto a compelling pitch for a novel from an established and talented author?

I can think of two reasons why they might say no:

1) They have stated many times that the slow publishing pace for 5e (three RPG books a year, though maybe four in 2018) is absolutely deliberate. It is a result of their (probably correct) belief that many potential players were turned off by the huge number of supplements for previous editions. They might want to keep new D&D-branded novels to a similarly slow pace, for the same reasons. This might be why it appears that Timeless might be published without any D&D or FR branding on the cover.

2) Like any custodians of a valuable brand, their top priority is "don't damage the brand." It's possible they want to keep the game as PG as possible -- or as PC as possible. And some of the existing Realms novels are neither.

These are both wrongheaded, and I hope they don't represent WotC's actual thinking about the matter. But it's certainly possible.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 18:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

Yeah that interview really makes it sound like it was RAS' initiative to find a new publisher, and that this isn't a new strategy of WotC.

Well, I still hope this leads to more FR books.

Still the door has been opened and Salvatore novels sell the best, but they aren't the only ones that sell well, now that the door has been opened and the method understood, there is no reason other authors can't do what Salvatore did, especially Kemp and Erin M. Evans.

Markustay Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 14:54:11
*Meh*

Drizzt is so '2005'

Now its all about super-Drizzit - a four-armed drow half-demon who quadrupel-wields 6' Greatswords (each attuned to a different energy-type).
Gyor Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 14:30:11
quote:

Yeah that interview really makes it sound like it was RAS' initiative to find a new publisher, and that this isn't a new strategy of WotC.

Still the door has been opened and Salvatore novels sell the best, but they aren't the only ones that sell well, now that the door has been opened and the method understood, there is no reason other authors can't do what Salvatore did, especially Kemp and Erin M. Evans.
Tanthalas Posted - 06 Mar 2018 : 22:41:32

Lamora Posted - 06 Mar 2018 : 22:30:14
Hmm... That interview definitely suggests that Salvatore will be the only books we will be receiving in the Realms unless this trilogy sells way more than Harper Collins expects and feels that more Realms books will be worth it.
John Daker Posted - 06 Mar 2018 : 21:46:26
Short video interview with Salvatore about the new series:
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/eccc-2018-r-a-salvatore-goes-behind-the-scenes-on-his-new-drizzt-trilogy
Thoth Posted - 02 Mar 2018 : 15:33:16
Well, honestly any news is good news on the novel front.

I think we are all looking forward to ANY new novels.

I am so so on this one, but I know I'll pick it up like most of you will!

;)

T
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 21:46:28
quote:

While I'm a sucker for happy endings, it's great to see a new Drizzt book is going to be released.

I hope this means that new Realms novels are on the way. I love Drizzt, but we need more stories.

Yay, someone else who likes happy endings lol. I was pretty content with the ending of Hero, and part of my fear of a new trilogy is it the end isn't going to be as happy LOL. But, by the same token, I do have some unanswered questions, and while I think they could be answered in a short story, if it takes a new trilogy to answer them, fine.

I also hope this means more Realms novels to come. So far, it's only Salvatore, but I hope that changes.
Tanthalas Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 19:47:22
While I'm a sucker for happy endings, it's great to see a new Drizzt book is going to be released.

I hope this means that new Realms novels are on the way. I love Drizzt, but we need more stories.

Agree on the cover though, I really dislike it. I miss the covers by Todd Lockwood.

EDIT: Drizzt being traied by Kane seems odd, but I guess it's not completely out of nowhere. So he's like a Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger/Monk now, give him another century or two and he'll have more classes than Elminster.
BountyHunter Posted - 27 Feb 2018 : 22:23:37
Excited to hear that new books are coming. I became reinterested in FR in time to find out the novels were stopping, so I was worried that I had jinxed it or something. #128516;
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 19:30:03
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

For me nothing can beat the german cover of the second book of the 6 part series about drizzt in the underdark (we got 2 translated books for every original from salvatore)

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1190756416i/1949696._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

A drow matriarch on the surface and an elephant xD

Sadly at this time I was too young to read the novels in english. And it was nearly impossible to get books from GB or US.

Wow. I thought the original cover of Tangled Webs, with an olive-skinned Liriel engaging in a spell battle (or perhaps rehearsing for a music video...) with an inexplicably busty illithid was the worst FR cover to date, but this one has it beat, hands down.

"Next up, the breakout video from new artists Liriel & Vestriss, with their debut song, 'Can't Get You Out of My Mind!'"
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 19:24:43
quote:

For me nothing can beat the german cover of the second book of the 6 part series about drizzt in the underdark (we got 2 translated books for every original from salvatore)

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1190756416i/1949696._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

A drow matriarch on the surface and an elephant xD

Sadly at this time I was too young to read the novels in english. And it was nearly impossible to get books from GB or US.

That's reused artwork. It's from the Vale of the Mage module, which was set in Greyhawk.

TSR had a really, really bad tendency to reuse artwork.
Caolin Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 18:07:12
Frankly I think I prefer those campy old school fantasy covers to some of the modern book covers.
CylverSaber Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 16:13:55
I actually bought Tangled Webs when it first came out and did not remember the cover being this bad.

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1312023616l/2173551.jpg

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000