Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Saving Denier from the Spellplague

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 10:22:01
So I read an interesting question on the 4E Facebook page about a 2e conversion of a cleric of Denier to 4th edition and how to go about doing that, which got me thinking of how the deity might have survived the explosion of Dweomerheart during the Weave's unraveling.

A couple of options come to mind:

1. He foresaw the destruction, however late, and threw what essence he could into a new Metatext. Said Metatext plummeted to Faerūn and is currently around the protected grounds of the Spirit Soaring.

2. The explosion threw him into the multiverse and he and Velsharoon had a battle for survival in which he survived, taking Vels divinity but is bound in some way to a lower level of hell.

3. The explosion of Dweomerheart is greatly exaggerated, where pieces of it remain but are now overrun by a primordial being or its denizens and he's hiding out and doing his best to keep down the fort but needs PC intervention to stay alive.

Mechanically speaking, the options in-game can be easily swapped with the Core deity Ioun (arcane deity about scholars, magic, knowledge, etc) but I'm thinking of incorporating Denier into my own campaign as a deity with vital info about Orcus and his attempts to gain power on the Prime material plane of Faerūn.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bladewind Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 21:52:07
Orcus has several ties to Forgotten Realms; via Narfell and Vaasa and perhaps the MetaText.

In Ancient Narfell he created a longstanding dynasty of cambion princes, and he sponsored Zhenghi the Witchking of Vaasa to lichdom. I prefer Orcus to have no ties to deities, as he has a hatred for everything and wishes to end both undead and the living. He does crave godhood, or at least the power of the death and grave domain.

He also perhaps corrupted a piece of the MetaText to discover the Last Word, the utterance capable of obliterating a deity.
sleyvas Posted - 07 Feb 2018 : 01:43:50
Well, I've made no secret that I'm sending many of the gods that "disappeared" over to Abeir. Essentially, he became aware of what was happening to dweomerheart because of its effects with the runes that line the inner shell of the crystal sphere, and dweomerheart didn't explode. It detached from Toril and attached to Abeir. His actions were what caused the sphere to be a closed sphere during the spellplague, and it was also why he got "sucked" along with dweomerheart to Abeir. While he was in Abeir, he dwelt in Dweomerheart instead of the House of Knowledge, working with Savras to revive the goddess of magic. His clergy were also some of the few who actually made some headway in Abeiran lands, as they appeared there wanting to know the stories of Abeir, scribing them and working to gather as much information as they could glean from these other cultures, while at the same time helping spread the art of the scribe, storyteller, and teaching of magic learned via symbology (including wizardry).
Markustay Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 23:38:05
I've been thinking about making Orcus a Chosen of Gruumsh who started doing his own thing (like how Sammaster left Mystra). I am talking WAY back, toward the Beginning. Like maybe right after the Dawn War came to a close (so, like around the time of the very start of the GHotR). thus, Orcus (we don't know what his original, mortal name was) should have been a Goblyn Archfey.

I don't know if any of that is something you can use with Denier. Oghma's connections to the Seldarine should be obvious - the entire Celtic pantheon should have very close ties to the Elves/Fey. Personally, I love the idea of just leaving him as a Weave ghost/vestige. Perhaps he is the only reason (or one of the only reasons - others may have sacrificed themselves as well) why the world didn't just DIE while the Spellplague was going on and magic unravelled. It took Ao a whole century to reboot the Weave this time (he probably needed a whole new motherboard this time out ), and there could have been him or a cadre of gods holding together what little was left (like an 'emergency weave' thrown up quickly to save things).
Bladewind Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 15:04:52
I'd let the cleric player follow Oghma, but get hints of Oghma's scribe Deneir and his deeper secrets through the tattered remains of the Weave-Metatext.

Orcus truename Tenebrous has already been used afore (Tenebrous is a vestige in itself now), so perhaps Deneir can aid in finding and translating symbols of Orcus (and/or his new truename)?

EDIT: Oh, and Deneir essentially 'lost himself in his work' on the MetaText, which was intended to unlock the secret potential of those that understood it and elevate them to divinity. It was rumored that Leira did meddle with some annotations in it, that could lead to a prophetic day without creativity leading to Oghmas death/disappearance.
Diffan Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 13:46:38
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

The novel Ghost King touched on this. Deneir wrote himself into the Weave by inscribing the symbols of the Metatext into the tattered remains of the Weave.

Perhaps one could use a vestige-like relationship for 4e clerics with Deneir as a weave-ghost bind, with the cleric seeing symbols of the meta text fleetingly describing their surroundings, especially if magic and the weave is being used.

That's a very cool and sound idea! Since I want a more direct relationship between Denier and the player characters, using Vestiges-as-symbols makes it more creative for sure. It's been a long while since I finished The Ghost King but was all of Denier's power put into the Weave-Metatext? As a build up for the PCs, I'd like to link Denier in their aid of discovering an Orcus-run plot to gain a foothold onto Faerūn.
Bladewind Posted - 06 Feb 2018 : 12:10:07
The novel Ghost King touched on this. Deneir wrote himself into the Weave by inscribing the symbols of the Metatext into the tattered remains of the Weave.

Perhaps one could use a vestige-like relationship for 4e clerics with Deneir as a weave-ghost bind, with the cleric seeing symbols of the meta text fleetingly describing their surroundings, especially if magic and the weave is being used.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000