Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mythal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ElfBane Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 10:28:39
When I watch the movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.2, The scene where the collected wizards conjure the magic dome over Hogwarts immediately brought to mind a mythal. Now, as the movie shows, the mythal was rather easily brought down, but still it reminded me of creating a mythal. Did anyone else get that impression?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 03 Feb 2018 : 08:29:19
This has probably been addressed in another thread, but it is quite hard to make comparisons between the magic of the world of Harry Potter versus Forgotten Realms (despite the constant attempts by friends of mine to make "who would win in spell duel" scenarios between Dumbledore and Elminster). The two settings are in completely different ball parks. I mean, one has a list of curses you must never use because they are so terrible, and in the other said curses are the norm, cast around willy-nilly by moderately leveled necromancers.

I don't think anything even approaching a Mythal has ever been described in that setting.
The Masked Mage Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 19:43:28
Yeah - it is not a mythal. Its just a larger protective field, exactly what harry/hermione/ron conjure every day for their little tent.
Ayrik Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 19:19:44
Nothing compares against Optimus Prime, lol.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 19:11:36
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

Well, the books do hint Hogwarts got "mystical defences", so I get what you mean! But also; we never learn anything about them. I simply understood the dome as a collectively cast defense spell..

Ditto. A mythal is a major thing, practically a living field of magic, with multiple effects, and that can outlast the grandchildren of its creators. Hogwarts just had a fancy force field.

It's like comparing a regular Model T to Optimus Prime.
Ayrik Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 19:03:52
I also thought of this dome just being some standard defensive spell. Something like wall of force or wall of fire looks awfully damned impressive to people unaccustomed to seeing magic. Something like prismatic sphere looks utterly impervious and indestructible, although to a magic user it does not. Not even considering how illusion and enchantment are often used to create or embellish perceptions and reality.

Otiluke's resilient sphere is a seemingly impressive work of magic. But it certainly ain't no mythal, especially not to eyes practiced in seeing magic.

Imagine someone from the Realms setting (or my grandmother) sitting in front a smartphone connected to the internet. Believing the machine is all-knowing, all-seeing, thinking, feeling, and effectively "alive" ... it instantly "knows" all the answers to all your questions, it's a machine which can do things (complex calculations, perfect information recall, translate languages, illustrate any painting in perfect detail, play complex musical pieces in any instrument, even show "real" things which could otherwise only be imagined) which are all hallmarks not just of intelligence but of high intelligence. This is the same device we recognize as a "dumb terminal", barely more "conscious" than a thermostat, less "intelligent" than a mosquito.
Starshade Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 17:51:01
Well, the books do hint Hogwarts got "mystical defences", so I get what you mean! But also; we never learn anything about them. I simply understood the dome as a collectively cast defense spell..

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000