Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mulmaster

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fineva Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 02:34:54
The war in Mulmaster that is currently brewing on Facebook and other networks has been accepted tentatively by the WoTC admins and winter fantasy will interrupt it, so no more actions until WoTC takes action.
This is seen as a great RP activity. Indeed it is, and due to the various RP plots it is difficult seeing the Toril "reality" behind it.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fineva Posted - 10 Feb 2023 : 22:38:05
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva

Ah HA! Got it! Link avoided, finally.

The Red War is finished its first stage. Though Rumors have it that Szass Tam was defeated personally for every one such rumor there is one saying he was a clone or some such.
The city of Mulmaster is now being fortified similarly to the Thaymount, with threats that for every Thayan death 3 mulmaster items will perish. Factions are told to submit their rosters for safety as anyone not on a roster will be fair game. (We believe that uh huh)

((OOC; it appears the head DMs -admins- have had a fit of pique, we shall see if they decide to control factions further. Currently this player motivated war was conducted by murder hoboes pushing for fun. Factions lost all in game benefits. The admins may have done this independent of the player decisions, but we shall see))

Partial text of Selfarils last words; "High Blade Selfaril is in a fit of pique with senior members of the Factions. “In your arrogance you assumed that the people of Mulmaster were dupes of Thay. That we, who have controlled the wizards of our city would succumb to the rule of Thay in gratitude for her help with the rifts. You political innocents! With your bumbling and posturing have ruined this city! Long range political plans, a dance for those of subtle intellect, which you seem to lack, lie in ruins. They have abandoned controlling the rifts! That alone could destroy the city eventually, but your declarations have born bitter fruit. Now an army of undead sits on the hills above and the city has no hope of remaining free, even if just in name."

He was obviously holding back, or perhaps the profanity was untranslatable

Mod edit: Let's avoid sharing that link, please. At least some of the content on that site is pirated, and pirated content is explicitly forbidden by the
Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct. We don't need WotC or anyone else coming down on us for that.

Fineva Posted - 02 Sep 2018 : 23:28:20
The Legend:
Fineva received an obsidian steed, generated a nightmare and explored the planes.
Szass Tam demanded names from all factions in Red War and got them.
Many left factions or joined other factions to avoid this.
Mulmaster has seen the beginning of the end for all encompassing factions.

The rules;
All intelligent items and dragon masks removed, trade in for treasure points (24)
Fineva has the mask change into a staff of the magi, gets a level of wizard, that mask DID have hidden power, Ed!
There are no more gold rewards for modules, nor XP.
Advancement points for characters per module and book.

The results above are changes made for Adventure League, the rest of you just carry on.
End report.
-Fineva Alassra Silverhand of Orogoth.

sleyvas Posted - 01 Sep 2018 : 02:59:41
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Dwarvish king, Iorn Ludwakazar"

Do people say these names out loud before they commit them to print? Sheesh ...

-- George Krashos

He was a famed king who was known for having a bear that would entertain his court. The bear was named Fawzae and he was known for his catch phrase "Waka Waka" which always made king Ludwakazar laugh uproariously.

I obviously won't get into the antics of Kaermet the batrachi bard, Myus Paeaggy the orc priestess of sune, and the mongrelman known as Gaownzo known for his infatuations with chickens.
George Krashos Posted - 01 Sep 2018 : 02:41:45
"Dwarvish king, Iorn Ludwakazar"

Do people say these names out loud before they commit them to print? Sheesh ...

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2018 : 17:34:53
I've always felt that Mulmaster wasn't all that far from being under Thayan control, anyway. That's why my spin on the Thayan Civil War has Thay-in-Exile operating out of Mulmaster.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Aug 2018 : 13:15:30
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Selfaril is once again High Blade of Mulmaster after a century of being trapped in a gem.

Derp intensifies.
But which Selfaril? The real one, or?..
quote:

Also, I find it interesting that they give a picture of Dar'lon Ma that is especially white-skinned (totally expected for a Mulan).... but his description says "Tall, dark-skinned, and broad shouldered, Dar’lon Ma . Also, he's described as having the build of a professional wrestler. His picture also LOOKS like he's wearing a wrestler's championship belt.

Single-keyword search?

From what I'm reading in that module... it sounds like the real one

Here's from DDEX2-14 The Sword of Selfaril
Adventure Background
The city of Mulmaster can best be described as a city of pessimistic dynamism. There is a strong negative energy about the city despite the industrious, hardworking attitude of its people. Mulmasterites are patient, relentless, exploitative people struggling to live as well as they can within a dog-eat-dog city where corruption is widespread and life is cheap.

Over a century before the present day, the ruler of Mulmaster, High Blade Selfaril Uoumdolphin was deposed by his identical twin brother, Rassendyll. Not having the stomach to outright murder his brother, Rassendyll had Selfaril trapped in a soul gem, which he then had mounted in the hilt of his blade.
Now, against all expectations, the sword has been found. Selfaril has been struggling to escape his magical bondage, and with the help of the characters, he can either reclaim the office of High Blade – or perish as a pretender to the throne. The Fate of Selfaril Uoumdolphin Selfaril Uoumdolphin, the former High Blade of Mulmaster, was betrayed by his twin brother Rassendyll in 1375 DR. With the aid of Fzoul Chembrul, Rassendyll trapped his brother in a soulgem fitted into the pommel of his sword. For the next century, the sword would disappear from history only to wind up in the hands of the Dwarvish king, Iorn Ludwakazar. In the events of DDEX2-4 Mayhem in the Earthspur Mines, the sword--containing the soul of Selfaril Uoumdolphin--was reclaimed.

As to your second question.... sorry TBeholder, you often ask questions so vaguely that I can't make hide nor hair of what you're asking about.... unless you're just saying "yeah, they didn't research"... but for all I know he has Rashemaar blood and Tam has become less focused on having the Mulan race itself ruling.

Still, I like Dar'lon Ma even if its only because he helps accomplish the goal of a "Thayan"/"red wizard" expansion not under Szass Tam's control. They may have to be careful in how they interact with the people of Mulmaster itself.

BTW, I know we're talking 5e rules, but the Cloaks have always seemed to fit the concept of diviner/psionics (so in 3.5e lingo, they'd make great cerebremancers). Given that the people of Jhaamdath relocated many individuals into Impiltur, I could see a faction of these migrating.

I also mentioned in another thread that I love the concept of the Chronicles of the Deryni, and I truly would love the idea that in Impiltur the rulers have some kind of "awakened" psionic talents (including the "paladins"... some of whom might just be psychic warriors or divine minds, or dabblers in both). This could simply be portrayed as just wild talents as well. Perhaps there's even something to the Crown of Narfell (or other Impilturian crowns) and awakening these powers. Given that what a Udoxias did was make certain powers available to an individual, if these crowns had crystals "carved from" a destroyed udoxias... maybe they make additional abilities available to the royal as long as they are within a few miles of the crown, etc...
TBeholder Posted - 31 Aug 2018 : 06:52:14
quote:

Selfaril is once again High Blade of Mulmaster after a century of being trapped in a gem.

Derp intensifies.
But which Selfaril? The real one, or?..
quote:

Also, I find it interesting that they give a picture of Dar'lon Ma that is especially white-skinned (totally expected for a Mulan).... but his description says "Tall, dark-skinned, and broad shouldered, Dar’lon Ma . Also, he's described as having the build of a professional wrestler. His picture also LOOKS like he's wearing a wrestler's championship belt.

Single-keyword search?
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 31 Aug 2018 : 06:32:30
What exactly was the aftermath of the Red War in Mulmaster, or is it an ongoing affair? I can't seem to find any relevant posts online, since most of the threads I searched are from March 2018 or earlier.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Aug 2018 : 14:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

So... catching up... the temple of elemental evil is relocated to Mulmaster in the Realms now?

From Princes of the Apocalypse adventure:

The threat of Elemental Evil surfaces in different worlds of the multiverse whenever the force known as the Elder Elemental Eye tests its strength. In its current incarnation, Elemental Evil arises in the Sumber Hills. The scattered towns and isolated homesteads of this frontier now face a dire threat. If the forces of Elemental Evil can’t be defeated before they grow, madness and destruction could spread unchecked through the North.

The presence of Elemental Evil in the Sumber Hills goes back thousands of years, when a sect of renegade drow discovered the extensive caverns beneath the Sumber Hills and claimed it as their territory. These dark elves venerated a terrible god of primordial evil, and they built a shrine to this nameless power. In time, the ancient drow cult faded away (or was wiped out), and the place known as the Temple of the Elder Elemental Eye was forgotten for centuries.

So, in the realms, the temple of elemental evil is located in the north (roughly southwest of the High Forest). But some (admittedly non-canon) adventures being published by the adventurer's league are placing followers of those entities in Mulmaster.
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2018 : 06:17:41
So... catching up... the temple of elemental evil is relocated to Mulmaster in the Realms now?
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 25 Aug 2018 : 02:27:27
What happened to the Beholder Corps?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 15:42:04
He gave up being a Lord of Waterdeep -- or he at least intended to.

Oghma or Milil keeping him around for some reason is an interesting idea... I'm not sure that I'm sold on it, but it's an interesting idea.
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 13:44:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Where in current times are Danilo Thann & Arilyn Moonblade?

Given that it's been 100+ years, and Arilyn was already in her mid-40s, it's rather likely that they've died of old age. Though it is possible that Danilo's magic and trace elven blood has kept him around, I think it unlikely.

Damned if I can remember where, but something's making me think that they hinted at Danilo becoming something more powerful that might aid with this.... however, I may just be thinking of him becoming a masked lord. Given his relationship with Khelben though, I could see him somehow or other gaining the attention of a deity like Oghma or Milil who might want a servitor with both training as a wizard and bard, a good relationship with the chosen of Mystra, being a masked lord of Waterdeep, etc.... Furthermore, given what we know of how clone works NOW... its not outside the realm of possibility that he keeps himself alive by periodically making a younger clone of himself.

Arilyn though, as a half elf, she'd be extremely old, but possibly still around since the PH for 5e says half elves often exceed the age of 180. That being said, if she's with Danilo, the clone option isn't "caster only".... not sure if she'd take it, but....
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 13:44:13
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Given that it's been 100+ years, and Arilyn was already in her mid-40s, it's rather likely that they've died of old age. Though it is possible that Danilo's magic and trace elven blood has kept him around, I think it unlikely.

Damned if I can remember where, but something's making me think that they hinted at Danilo becoming something more powerful that might aid with this.... however, I may just be thinking of him becoming a masked lord. Given his relationship with Khelben though, I could see him somehow or other gaining the attention of a deity like Oghma or Milil who might want a servitor with both training as a wizard and bard, a good relationship with the chosen of Mystra, being a masked lord of Waterdeep, etc.... Furthermore, given what we know of how clone works NOW... its not outside the realm of possibility that he keeps himself alive by periodically making a younger clone of himself.

Arilyn though, as a half elf, she'd be extremely old, but possibly still around since the PH for 5e says half elves often exceed the age of 180. That being said, if she's with Danilo, the clone option isn't "caster only".... not sure if she'd take it, but....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 03:25:58
quote:

Fineva Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 02:11:08
Fineva Posted - 20 Aug 2018 : 11:01:40
Thanks for the ideas Red Wizard Skimper.
Combining them with the Mulmaster situation for examination by other sages.

Are there any more contributors? I could use a direction to fdetermine whether Mystra can combine with Shar (a wiki idea elsewhere)
-Fineva
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 20 Aug 2018 : 09:41:25
quote:

This thread calls into question the above 9th level parts of Mystra's ban http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10527
Following up on this and Acereraks entrance into Chult, just how far is this ban now? Acereraks history is in Greyhawk, Szass Tam is interested in Netherese batteries with pieces of Kyuss inside, the Netherese were great planar travellers.

Given the above, how would you create a trap for a red Wizards in the plane So? Remember that they are also in spelljammers and reasonably competent. On the other hand stepping on too many godly toes might have Mystra create a new ban, or just kill them off. This goes for the other types of wizards, but currently the Red are targets.

I think Tam has some idea of stepping into extra planar space to set off epic spells free of the ban. Call it a hunch or perhaps the end encounter of the Red War epic adventure! (It's in print, but rather not give spoilers as its ongoing)

Which Red Wizards?

Inside or outside Thay?

Mystra doesn't kill Red Wizards, other way around maybe.

One doesn't need to use The Silver Weave to cast spells. There is the Shadow Weave and we Red Wizards are working on our own Red Weave.

Arch Zulkir Szass Tam is for all intents the Chosen of Bane, although there is more to this storey, than has been told so far.

You don't have to be in a different plane to use a different weave.
Fineva Posted - 20 Aug 2018 : 04:01:17
This thread calls into question the above 9th level parts of Mystra's ban http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10527
Following up on this and Acereraks entrance into Chult, just how far is this ban now? Acereraks history is in Greyhawk, Szass Tam is interested in Netherese batteries with pieces of Kyuss inside, the Netherese were great planar travellers.

Given the above, how would you create a trap for a red Wizards in the plane So? Remember that they are also in spelljammers and reasonably competent. On the other hand stepping on too many godly toes might have Mystra create a new ban, or just kill them off. This goes for the other types of wizards, but currently the Red are targets.

I think Tam has some idea of stepping into extra planar space to set off epic spells free of the ban. Call it a hunch or perhaps the end encounter of the Red War epic adventure! (It's in print, but rather not give spoilers as its ongoing)
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 19 Aug 2018 : 06:14:09
Some might 'Thay' that the Civil War if that is what you want to call it, is more an expansion of the Thayan borders with a Core Thay under the influence of Bane, more or less and the expansion of Thay outside the traditional borders a resultant of the so called Civil War and a convenient method of populating and influencing the areas around the previously setup Enclaves. Good thing they were their, almost as if it was planned and the others required a 'push' to leave Thay proper and reinforce the Enclaves.
Fineva Posted - 19 Aug 2018 : 01:32:52
Ah HA! Got it!
For news

The Red War is finished its first stage. Though Rumors have it that Szass Tam was defeated personally for every one such rumor there is one saying he was a clone or some such.
The city of Mulmaster is now being fortified similarly to the Thaymount, with threats that for every Thayan death 3 mulmaster items will perish. Factions are told to submit their rosters for safety as anyone not on a roster will be fair game. (We believe that uh huh)

((OOC; it appears the head DMs -admins- have had a fit of pique, we shall see if they decide to control factions further. Currently this player motivated war was conducted by murder hoboes pushing for fun. Factions lost all in game benefits. The admins may have done this independent of the player decisions, but we shall see))

Partial text of Selfarils last words; "High Blade Selfaril is in a fit of pique with senior members of the Factions. “In your arrogance you assumed that the people of Mulmaster were dupes of Thay. That we, who have controlled the wizards of our city would succumb to the rule of Thay in gratitude for her help with the rifts. You political innocents! With your bumbling and posturing have ruined this city! Long range political plans, a dance for those of subtle intellect, which you seem to lack, lie in ruins. They have abandoned controlling the rifts! That alone could destroy the city eventually, but your declarations have born bitter fruit. Now an army of undead sits on the hills above and the city has no hope of remaining free, even if just in name."

He was obviously holding back, or perhaps the profanity was untranslatable

Mod edit: Let's avoid sharing that link, please. At least some of the content on that site is pirated, and pirated content is explicitly forbidden by the
Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct. We don't need WotC or anyone else coming down on us for that.
Markustay Posted - 03 Feb 2018 : 04:52:25
"When Gods start 'scrapbooking', things can go very wrong."
Fineva Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 23:19:57
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So it turns out Kyuss has really been all over FR all along?

Well dip me in Worg slorg!

Attempting to access that map again... I deleted over a hundred layers I'm pretty sure I was done with... fingers crossed...

The Laboratory was used for pressing. Unlike normal folk that press flowers the Netherese pressed souls, hence General Hazirawn pressed into the sword Hazirawn. This offers great possibilities for those who like to press Chosen, etc.
Markustay Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 22:20:50
So it turns out Kyuss has really been all over FR all along?

Well dip me in Worg slorg!

Attempting to access that map again... I deleted over a hundred layers I'm pretty sure I was done with... fingers crossed...
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 17:36:04
So, yeah, the adventure is something about a pyramid under the ice of the glacier of the white wyrm. It has basically an "aspect" of Kyuss of some sort. The party has to kill it. The story itself is kind of lame. About the only thing interesting I got out of the whole adventure was the info on the two NPC's, which I kind of already had. Also, there is a rather strange reference to the number of Zulkirs of Thay..... stating that there are 12 now.

Zulkir Dar’lon Ma (zul-KEER DAHR-lahn MAY). Male human. One of the 12 Zulkir of Thay. Broadshouldered and oozing charisma, Zulkir Dar’lon Ma is a consummate politician; he uses his command of enchantment magic to ensure that he remains in power and to keep his enemies at bay. While his bright smile serves to mark him as approachable, his sizable frame and passive body language clearly indicates that he is a formidable combatant.

Also, I find it interesting that they give a picture of Dar'lon Ma that is especially white-skinned (totally expected for a Mulan).... but his description says "Tall, dark-skinned, and broad shouldered, Dar’lon Ma . Also, he's described as having the build of a professional wrestler. His picture also LOOKS like he's wearing a wrestler's championship belt. I like the guy from a "this is so weird that I'm smiling" perspective. I'd definitely though recommend him having left Thay and moved here because he wants to get out from under Tam's thumb.

Markustay Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 17:31:01
Well, now I remember why I stopped working on my main mapping project. Every time I open the main map and try to work on it, the whole thing crashes.
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 15:45:07
Hmmm, and as I read this, its definitely tying Dar'lon Ma to Thay and not Escalant. Therefore, I wouldn't have to change my titles. I could have him as a Zulkir of Thay but in negotiations with the "enemy" and leaving Thay to build his own legacy elsewhere (and possibly making liaisons with my tharchs).
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 13:15:43
So, to sum up what I've learned so far about these official changes to Mulmaster

some elemental evil cults burst some "devastation orbs" throughout the city, resulting in these portals I guess to the elemental planes of fire and earth. The city is in ruins for the most part. The Thayans have been the only people to come to the aid of the Mulmasterite people in any significant way (bringing in food, clothing, shelter). Meanwhile, the new Zulkir of Enchantment, Dar'lon Ma, has moved to Mulmaster to be an open face of aid to the people. Dar'lon Ma is apparently a muscular Mulan male (from the picture of him in the Windows to the Past module), but his description is of a personable nature. Rastol Shan is the head of Mulmaster's Cloaks. Selfaril is once again High Blade of Mulmaster after a century of being trapped in a gem.

The Thayans are employing the bodies of the dead to help clean up the city, but they are doing so quietly and discreetly (for instance, their work crews only work after hours so that people don't have to watch, for instance, their dead father animated to move around detritus). However, these Thayans may have ulterior motives, and they may have started uncovering some caches of magic items in their cleanup efforts (cleanup efforts not being watched by other Mulmasterites since they're done at night). Throw into this, apparently some folks have become upset and are worried about the Thayans taking over Mulmaster (particularly the Zhents and Harpers I'd bet, but also the Emerald Enclave for some reason). I'm still reading the window to the past to see how (what I'm going to guess is Kyuss) is involved in things.

Now, onto how would I incorporate the information that I've read so far. I'd already been planning on doing something with three small towns surrounding the northeastern side of Vesperin (Kurth, Blanaer, and King's Reach), and I'd been thinking about the fact that we have several enclaves up in the vast and moonsea regions. One thing I would change is that I would explicitly state that Dar'lon Ma is not a Zulkir loyal to Szass Tam (in fact, other than apparently a player making said assumption when replying from the Thayan Embassy in Mulmaster, I'm not sure that we have anything on Dar'lon Ma's background). I would also state that when everyone believed Lauzoril was dead, Dar'lon Ma took over as "Zulkir of Enchantment" in the city of Escalant to the expatriates of Thay in that city. I would also have Dar'lon Ma become the new Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade with Samas Kul's death over a decade ago. I think most campaigns would readily accept this concept.

Now, my homebrew stuff involves the United Tharchs of Toril. This involves the idea that the cities of the Wizard's Reach are forming their own Tharch right now. It also involves the "discovery" in the last few years that Lauzoril and Lallara Mediocros are not dead. Thus the OLD Zulkir of enchantment (Lauzoril) is returned and someone else has his title. Normally, this would mean the death of the usurper. However, at the SAME TIME in my homebrew, I am also having the Shaar "return" from Abeir, and its got several small cities gathered together as the "Tharch of Peleveran".... and its ALSO got Lauzoril, the Zulkir of Enchantment. This leads the two Lauzoril's to agree to some special conditions regarding themselves as Zulkirs sharing their number of votes. Meanwhile, what to do with Dar'lon Ma (the third Zulkir)? Well, they get together (along with Dmitra Flass, Aulkir of Illusion for the Tharch of Peleveran and Tharchion of Peleveran) and decide that Dar'lon Ma should try to cultivate a new tharch near Mulmaster, including the cities of Blanaer, Kurth, King's Reach, and Maskyr's Eye and the enclaves in Calaunt and Raven's Bluff. If he is able to do so, he could would become its Aulkir of Enchantment, retain his title as Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade (noting that this would only be in lands FOREIGN to the United Tharchs of Toril), and he could also become its Tharchion. This would place the High Blade Selfaril ultimately as his autharch in Mulmaster and could elevate Rastol Shan and the Cloaks into their membership (or at least, that's the theory... the question of whether those people would accept those roles... depends on how its presented... for instance, if it involved taking over say Phlan or Hillsfar or invading Vesperin, they might be ok with the idea of expanding their organization but losing some personal power in the bargain).

If I did want to do this, I might have to change around some of my terminology I'm been using for the United Tharchs. Specifically, I have 8 Zulkirs, but also each tharch has a representative for their school of magic (known as an Aulkir if they are not a Zulkir). This would make Dar'lon Ma no longer a Zulkir, so I'd either have to make the Zulkir/Aulkir naming convention into something like Grand Zulkir/Zulkir (although I'd like another term besides Grand and might make something up... taking ideas on some sound you could put before Zulkir that makes it sound important... Atu-Zulkir... Vykal-Zulkir... Kha-Zulkir).

Anyway, that's my thoughts without actually reading window to the past at all so far... let me see where it goes.
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 12:19:41
quote:

http://dndadventurersleague.org/state-of-mulmaster/

https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/Adventure%20League/S0%20-%20Season-Agnostic/DDAL00-01%20-%20Window%20to%20the%20Past.pdf

Ah, thank you, I knew somewhere I'd just seen something about a pyramid under the ice in the glacier of the white wyrm. I'm going to guess this has something to do with Kyuss, and someone got the idea that "worm" and "wyrm" were the same interpretation. Let me get to skimming.
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2018 : 12:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:

So, as I look into what they're planning (at least in July of 2015 when I look at Sword of Selfaril), it looks like they're trying to turn Mulmaster INTO what I would have called somewhat like the Thay of old (despite the fact that its small in comparison). Basically, they've effectively duplicated what Szass Tam USED to be like in Rastol Shan, the head of Mulmaster's spy group known as the cloaks. The big difference that I see is that they'll still have a city ruler, but that will be more figurehead with the rule probably held by his inner circle.

Roleplaying Rastol Shan Rastol Shan has been masquerading for decades and is experienced at passing himself off as human. Putting him off his game is virtually impossible, given his magical preparations and gift for dissembling. Shan is well aware of Selfaril’s imprisonment in the blade for one very good reason – he was one of the wizards responsible. Under his real name, Thurdan Tallwand, Shan was one of the Cloaks who aided Rassendyll Uoumdolphin in usurping Selfaril’s rule, thinking Rassendyll a more tractable ruler than his twin brother. Of course, in order to preserve his secret, all of his peers from that time have been dealt with. Shan is earnest, even pleasant in his dealings with the party, as it is in his best interests to have Jaseen Drakehorn ousted from the office of the High Blade. The Church of Bane has worked long and hard to put limits on the power of the Cloaks, and Shan has had enough. Rastol Shan has masked his undead nature using Nystul's magic aura. Any spells or magical effects (such as the paladin’s divine sense class feature) that detect creature types or alignments reveal that he is a lawful neutral humanoid. For the purposes of dispelling the effect, it is an 8th level spell. Despite his disguises, however, Shan is still subject to spells or abilities that affect undead, such as turn undead. Rastol Shan keeps neither his spellbook nor his phylactery on his person.

I also see that the adventurer's league did something with Kurth. Whereas I made the city more prosperous and installed Mulan refugees there who worked with the locals and helped reduce the orc menace, it appears they went the other direction and had the orc menace decimate the population. That being said, relatively easy to work around if the old structures and inhabitants were destroyed and new folk have moved in to rebuild.

Kurth. Known as Pirate's Rest, Kurth is a town located in the northern portion of the Vast. Founded by the pirate Kurth Banditslayer, Kurth was a large town that eventually fell to orc raids. Its current state is much smaller; and more easily able to defend against attacks, and the outer portions of the city have fallen into ruin, including Feljack's Hall; the former home of an adventurer of the same name. Skeletal pirates have been seen in the area of Feljack's Hall, seemingly searching for the long-dead owner's fabled treasure.

This is the first time ive ever read anything 5e related that seemed even remotely like realmslore

There's apparently stuff up on DMs Guild being officially released as adventures for the adventurer's league. They aren't free and they seem to be fairly short. The Kurth stuff is just a modification of old lore on the town (i.e. it was always a pirate's retirement place, and feljack's Hall was there, etc.. they just decided to apparently sack everyone outside of the inner wall... I went the other direction and had them finish the outer wall and put in an acqueduct so they didn't have to recycle urine for making alcohol <which was disgusting, but I'll give it to Ed... I never forgot the place>).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000