Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic the Gathering vs. Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 15:39:37
So I was looking through the DMs Guild and just realized that Magic the Gathering and D&D have finally crossed paths with each other...

I've been thinking it for a long time, but was wondering when they would get around to it.

What does everyone else think?

Will the Forgotten Realms ever become a MtG card supplement? Will the Forgotten Realms be pretty much dropped to make way for a generic kitchen sink MtG setting?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 04:44:09
Planar travel was also a thing in ancient D&D before 1E. Not as rigidly structured in the rules, but mechanisms existed for travelling to "other" D&D worlds, Boot Hill, and Gamma World. All RPG products sold by TSR, of course.
Markustay Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 05:32:42
Oh boy, looks like I got me a lot of reading tomorrow. Wonder how I missed those. I must have been doing something in July.

Thanks for the links.
Diffan Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 04:45:59
I had a thread about these back in July called D&D uses M:tG with the links to the 4 settings they've made so far.

I think it's a good thing, something that I'm surprised hadn't already happened so far. M:tG is a different beast than FR in a LOT of ways that there probably won't be any mingling betweem the two. Magic uses whole spheres of worlds and realms like the Forgotten Realms treats other parts of their own world.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 20:49:49
quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

Having more players drawn into D&D via MtG would be cool, though I personally would rather they don't merge the IPs. However, to be fair it's not like planeswalking is a foreign concept even in the FR universe (I recall a certain short story in Dragon Magazine about our friendly Sage of Shadowdale visiting RL Ed Greenwood in his living room. ;) Just saying).
Another possible indicator of this is when the folks at Wizbro decided to have Acererak pop into realmslore by simply explaining that he is a planeswalker. I wonder what an Acererak MtG card would look like :0

Planar travel, particularly between the different settings, has been a thing since 2E was going strong. Not only did Ed frequently get visited by Elminster in Dragon magazine articles, there were also the Wizards Three articles, with Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar meeting regularly, and with Shaaan the Serpent Queen and the Simbul both putting in appearances at Ed's place. Khelben, Laeral, and Qilué visited Steven Schend, as well.

We've had direct planar travels, too, with a kender wanting to see the Realms after spending time with a spelljamming woman from Krynn and a bard/priest from the Realms, Khelben Ravencloak Arunsun going to Oerth, a lot of spells named for Greyhawk mages being in the Realms... You can assume the Blackstaff and Bigby have met, since the former had a derogatory comment about the latter, in the description for the spell Khelben's Warding Whip, which counters a lot of the Bigby's Verbing Hand spells.

So planar travel is not new, and it's not inconceivable that Acererak could have visited the Realms at some point. That's not poor writing. Using Acererak as a BBEG in the Realms is poor writing, though.
The Masked Mage Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 20:45:05
Acererak would be like lich - banned. Or necro - banned. Or Yawgmoth - banned.

All the good decks got torn apart by new rules in like 2000.

Everything since that I've seen has just been blah and set up to be a constant cash cow. That's fine for a business model - but as a game I think they do more damage than good.

Also, I could not believe when they eliminated Interrupts and then introduced split second or whatever
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 19:06:39
Having more players drawn into D&D via MtG would be cool, though I personally would rather they don't merge the IPs. However, to be fair it's not like planeswalking is a foreign concept even in the FR universe (I recall a certain short story in Dragon Magazine about our friendly Sage of Shadowdale visiting RL Ed Greenwood in his living room. ;) Just saying).
Another possible indicator of this is when the folks at Wizbro decided to have Acererak pop into realmslore by simply explaining that he is a planeswalker. I wonder what an Acererak MtG card would look like :0
Cyrinishad Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 13:45:16
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I like what they've done so far with the MtG/D&D crossover mini-settings, which seem to basically be trying to get MtG players to start rolling d20s...

I don't think the Realms will get pulled into MtG... I can see scenarios where Dark Sun, or Dragonlance, or Planescape get pulled into MtG... Perhaps even having an official D&D Planescape AP being "the crossing of the streams" so-to-speak, that tries to synergise D&D with MtG somehow... I can also see them marketing or including "official" D&D characters and/or monsters as MtG cards, even if they don't hijack a D&D setting and turn it into MtG...

I like the idea the more MtG players could start picking up some dice and get bitten by the D&D bug instead...

Why not the FR, but the other settings instead?

I think it's because there's "too much" in the Realms to succinctly be contained in an MtG release... But, now that you're making me think a bit more about this, I could definitely envision a series of MtG releases that each focus on a different region or aspect of the Realms... Perhaps a "Netheril" or "Imaskari" or "Cormyr" or "Waterdeep", etc... "Netheril" or "Imaskari" MtG actually sounds pretty intriguing to me...
sleyvas Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 13:33:24
Yeah, I am intrigued to see the Ixalan article someone recently posted about which crosses over into the 5e ruleset. Granted, I'm not watching MtG to see this kind of stuff, but it may bring MtG players into D&D. I feel like we all know that the originators of MtG were big D&D fans (enough so that they bought the company and then introduced 3e/3.5e). Honestly, for all the talk of 5e being successful, I honestly feel like it was that edition that was more successful than most, especially since in my view the quickly realized their faults and introduced the 3.5e ruleset to fix them. It was much later that the flaws at the epic levels started to be realized by themselves and the players as well (enough so that a lot of us followed those same flaws into pathfinder.... and by flaws I mean simple math issues along with the odds of things happening).

Anyway, it would be intriguing to see some "alternate universe" wherein the rules work slightly differently in which the universes of MtG are explored from a roleplaying perspective. Given the idea that magic comes from the land, if said universe had ties to the same universe as Athas with its defilers of the land, that might be very intriguing.
Starshade Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 09:33:36
If they print MtG cards and bundle them with D&D, it's a sure way to sell product. The other way? hmm. Time will tell! Maybe D&D gets more players..
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 03:47:32
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can't agree more with Wooly more about some of the bizarro responses out of WotC during the 4e era. Not sure if someone wasn't taking their meds, or someone took the whole bottle.

I wonder if they ever learned that stopping piracy (which they'll never do) won't actual make more people BUY their products? The kind of people who steal that stuff wasn't going to buy them regardless. Its a wash. All your doing there is making it harder for your customers to get the products - the ones who are actually trying to give you money.

That was what was so bizarre about it -- okay, sure, I can see taking steps to get pirated stuff from the newest ruleset out of the picture. But taking down the stuff from older, no longer supported rulesets? That didn't make sense -- those sales were pure profit for them, especially since Paizo was the company hosting the files and handling the transactions.
sfdragon Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 03:20:48
mtg: well its sucks. I only ever bought a few cards of it and only because I liked the art on them.

would not buy any crossover cards of realms and mt:G. they are as said obsurd and still in obsurdity like pokemon was back when it had some unbelievable monsters in it.

sleyvas Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 03:04:03
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Software which provides references and tools (for DM and players) would be smart. Especially if they kept it updated with the latest errata/revisions. And basically convert the entire game from hardcopy to softcopy, you can't really share your unique product/DLC keys on torrent sites, lol. I think the ultimate dream (from Wizbro's perspective) would be a truly "paperless" D&D RPG system, everything you need to plan and prepare and play (and buy more of) the game all a few clicks away after you login to your account on their cloud. Combine with a "match-making" system, a variety of tiers and tournaments, achievements and awards, etc ... and suddenly you've got yourself a virtual RPG which sucks lives away as well as "true" MMORPGs like WoW.

But for all we know, they're just putting together a team to do a high-visibility makeover on their website. It's clear that their attention is focussed on MtG, though, so I don't seriously expect to (ever) see any official D&D software of a useful nature.

Oh, I didn't catch the part that it was MtG focused... yeah, that would make sense. Hmmm, I know they at one point release a MtG videogame. Do they have an online card game? What about an MMORPG? Honestly, that might be able to get some people, kind of like how WoW did originally because everyone really got into the storyline playing the strategy games.
The Masked Mage Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 02:58:56
I loved MTG when I was a kid, and I wish to god I still had my Alpha and Beta decks, but it has long since crossed into the realm of the absurd. All the best cards cost a fortune, so its pretty much impossible for new players to take down the old ones. Someone bought a lotus for like 30000 I hear. That's plain crazy. I looked at the running value of the cards I do still have and its like 5000, with not a single card older than unlimited. Went straight into the little fire-proof safe :P

Also, its not so much a card game any more as it is a digital internet phenomenon. I remember when someone would play a new card and everyone would gather around the table to see what it was and what it did. It took years to guess how rare cards were. I traded a mox emerald for a Shivan once and everyone thought that was reasonable. Now everyone knows before they open the first pack what the cards are and how rare they are. Just not the same.

As for mixing the Realms into it, why would you? There are too many cards already. They don't need to deal with copywrite issues and financial rights of authors when they can just put a different name instead. Would be stupid if you ask me.
Markustay Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 02:14:40
Can't agree more with Wooly more about some of the bizarro responses out of WotC during the 4e era. Not sure if someone wasn't taking their meds, or someone took the whole bottle.

I wonder if they ever learned that stopping piracy (which they'll never do) won't actual make more people BUY their products? The kind of people who steal that stuff wasn't going to buy them regardless. Its a wash. All your doing there is making it harder for your customers to get the products - the ones who are actually trying to give you money.

quote:

Well it is interesting that the President of WotC was hired by Hasbro, a former Microsoft/Xbox executive with a strong background in technical sales and management. Since then, WotC seems to have been quietly hiring a steady stream of technical people, even now they're advertising technical positions (for a systems engineer, product design manager, digital marketing director, digital product marketer, software devs) while seemingly not hiring any other kinds of positions.

Wizbro has been weak on tech-savvy since its inception. Their website, forums, and download sites are a tragic kludge. Their paranoia about real digital piracy is distorted to unreal extremes. They've outsourced or licensed a lot of their digital media over the years, effectively creating their own competition.

I don't know much about the publishing industry. I do know some things about the software industry. WotC is basically (re)hiring all the people they need to (re)create a complete software division, a whole team or two padded with some manager bloat (a necessary interface in large organizations which function through delegation and scapegoats). Probably enough talent to launch some kind of major project. Looking through the details I see that - along with the usual fluff about "why working here is great" and "what you bring to the company" - the recurring topics are Magic the Gathering in specific and CCGs in general - along with technical knowledge about internet, cloud, social media, PCs, and mobile apps. (But nothing to do with Steam or Xbox, phfft, Wizbro's loss.)

Hasbro has been "losing" revenue (more accurately, making less profit than before) for a few years now. I admit I can't really make much sense out of the obfuscations and denials and market analysis econobabble, but it seems they have indeed been selling off a few "unprofitable" subsidiaries, and it seems that WotC is not deemed "unprofitable" by anyone (indeed, it would be stupid for Hasbro to divest it now, after years of investing into building it up). I've read the Hasbro-plans-to-sell-WotC rumours too ... but they seem to cite each other and all trace back to no particular source, just a circle of unsupported claims and speculations, along with their growing wake of discussions which "support" (and grow) the rumour by calling more attention to it. All with no "official" source, no comment by anyone anywhere in Hasbro or WotC.
Well, I did say, "I heard a rumor..."

Given what you just said, and taking into account 'recent phenomena', my best (pure) guess would be an MtG phone app that you play against others, so anywhere you go you spark-up a game with someone. I think they may have been impressed with pokemon Go's initial roll-out (which fizzled almost as quickly as it skyrocketed), and they now know there is a market for "idiot wandering around in public with their cellphones out" style games.

Now, as for Hasbro itself. They are a Toy company, and nobody plays with toys anymore. Even 5yr olds are holding tablets and smart phones. They need something thats going to keep them fluid for years to come, since Toys just aren't going to cut it anymore. That means long-range plans. Like 'taking over whatever replaced the Toy market' type plans. They need to take the most antisocial thing in the world - cellphones (and tablets) - and turn them into a social event ('go out and meet people'), the way D&D turned 'gaming' into 'hanging out with your friends' (for a group that traditionally wasn't very good at making friends).

On the upside, they own a SLEW of IPs - some damn good ones. They just need to know in which format to market those to today's audience.

Look at me... soundin' all growned-up and stuff! Someone get me my binky!
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Well, they came up with a way to use "color magic" with 5e rules in one of the Plane Shifts (don't remember which one, but I lean to Kaladesh or Amonkhet).
WAIT... there's more than just the two i know about?
idilippy Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 01:52:45
Doesn't D&D already have a fantasy grounds partnership for VTT?
Ayrik Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 01:33:30
Software which provides references and tools (for DM and players) would be smart. Especially if they kept it updated with the latest errata/revisions. And basically convert the entire game from hardcopy to softcopy, you can't really share your unique product/DLC keys on torrent sites, lol. I think the ultimate dream (from Wizbro's perspective) would be a truly "paperless" D&D RPG system, everything you need to plan and prepare and play (and buy more of) the game all a few clicks away after you login to your account on their cloud. Combine with a "match-making" system, a variety of tiers and tournaments, achievements and awards, etc ... and suddenly you've got yourself a virtual RPG which sucks lives away as well as "true" MMORPGs like WoW.

But for all we know, they're just putting together a team to do a high-visibility makeover on their website. It's clear that their attention is focussed on MtG, though, so I don't seriously expect to (ever) see any official D&D software of a useful nature.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 01:17:26
quote:

Well it is interesting that the President of WotC was hired by Hasbro, a former Microsoft/Xbox executive with a strong background in technical sales and management. Since then, WotC seems to have been quietly hiring a steady stream of technical people, even now they're advertising technical positions (for a systems engineer, product design manager, digital marketing director, digital product marketer, software devs) while seemingly not hiring any other kinds of positions.

Wizbro has been weak on tech-savvy since its inception. Their website, forums, and download sites are a tragic kludge. Their paranoia about real digital piracy is distorted to unreal extremes. They've outsourced or licensed a lot of their digital media over the years, effectively creating their own competition.

I don't know much about the publishing industry. I do know some things about the software industry. WotC is basically (re)hiring all the people they need to (re)create a complete software division, a whole team or two padded with some manager bloat (a necessary interface in large organizations which function through delegation and scapegoats). Probably enough talent to launch some kind of major project. Looking through the details I see that - along with the usual fluff about "why working here is great" and "what you bring to the company" - the recurring topics are Magic the Gathering in specific and CCGs in general - along with technical knowledge about internet, cloud, social media, PCs, and mobile apps. (But nothing to do with Steam or Xbox, phfft, Wizbro's loss.)

Hasbro has been "losing" revenue (more accurately, making less profit than before) for a few years now. I admit I can't really make much sense out of the obfuscations and denials and market analysis econobabble, but it seems they have indeed been selling off a few "unprofitable" subsidiaries, and it seems that WotC is not deemed "unprofitable" by anyone (indeed, it would be stupid for Hasbro to divest it now, after years of investing into building it up). I've read the Hasbro-plans-to-sell-WotC rumours too ... but they seem to cite each other and all trace back to no particular source, just a circle of unsupported claims and speculations, along with their growing wake of discussions which "support" (and grow) the rumour by calling more attention to it. All with no "official" source, no comment by anyone anywhere in Hasbro or WotC.

So, either they'll be pushing for an online game (they already have Neverwinter), or maybe they'll be pushing for something that always ended up outsourced by TSR and WotC... a character generator that actually worked and kept up with the rules (and for which you'd have to buy the "add on" to get it to work with each new book out). I'll shamelessly say I spent hours in codemonkey's version of etools, and gave them a lot of money too. An online tabletop too might be in the cards, possibly even with "purchasable" virtual minis that you can add to your game.
idilippy Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 00:51:30
Er, Ayrik, that isn't an official card. It's a card some fan made at a website for making custom cards called MtGCardsmith.com, not at all affiliated with WotC or MtG from what I can tell, just people doing fan stuff.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 00:22:56
WotC have engaged in some lawsuits over recent years which revolved around Magic the Gathering being used in unauthorized or unlicensed fashions. Basically MtG is WotC's property and they get aggressively territorial when anyone else is making money (or taking money) out of it. It seems they always win these suits, even when lines of battle look a little blurry, although invariably victory is through sealed out of court settlements (private "mind your own business" payouts/bribes/extortions).

Yet at the same time, while browsing through some MtG artwork on google, I see many examples (like this) which to me look very much like MtG happily cashes in on other "properties" belonging to someone else. Very amusing how the world works when you've got a big brother named Hasbro.
Lord Karsus Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 23:44:09
-I don't see the downside. I never really understood Magic, but the artwork on the cards generally seems really nice, and the characters and things portrayed seem fantasy cool, so
Gyor Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 23:15:57
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I like what they've done so far with the MtG/D&D crossover mini-settings, which seem to basically be trying to get MtG players to start rolling d20s...

I don't think the Realms will get pulled into MtG... I can see scenarios where Dark Sun, or Dragonlance, or Planescape get pulled into MtG... Perhaps even having an official D&D Planescape AP being "the crossing of the streams" so-to-speak, that tries to synergise D&D with MtG somehow... I can also see them marketing or including "official" D&D characters and/or monsters as MtG cards, even if they don't hijack a D&D setting and turn it into MtG...

I like the idea the more MtG players could start picking up some dice and get bitten by the D&D bug instead...

Why not the FR, but the other settings instead?
Cyrinishad Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 22:40:06

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 22:32:10
quote:

I recall when the piracy of 4E books caused them to pull all digital content, from all editions... It was, without a doubt, one of the most boneheaded, knee-jerk, and indefensible decisions they've made. I try really hard, myself, to give WotC the benefit of the doubt -- but I can't call that decision anything but moronic.

quote:

Yeah, that was why I didn't pay much attention to it, when I saw it. I'd love to see WotC get free of Hasbro, but that article was a whole lot of nothing.
Ayrik Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 22:18:01

Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 21:30:35
quote:

They should bring Blackmoor into it. Even though its not FR, its been part of three other official settings, and there could be a group of 'Blackmoorians' still operating somewhere (I picture them with high magitech, and I also picture them dark-skinned, despite prior lore (they are an ancient, perhaps primeval, race of humans).

The problem with Blackmoor, and also the why the 4e line died before it fully started, and why there has been no plans to make a 5e line, its because licenses. After Dave Arnesson died, the licenses became such a legal mess that nobody can use the setting until that mess is resolved. And they have been trying to resolving it since 2010 without any success. I guess we have lost Blackmoor as a setting for new iterations of D&D.

quote:

I think the biggest reason why they've waited so long to make this rather obvious move is that the two magic systems are completely incompatible. I think they've been trying for years to come-up with a single-book splat that could add the MtG rules on top of D&D, and they just haven't been able to do it. Maybe now, they have. I think they'd have to make it its own unique form of 'Planes' magic, where you draw from the power of particular planes for your energy, so, like defiling, but also like elementalism and 4e/5e's 'pact' magic. I know I haven't been able to come-up with a workable solution, and I have put my mind to it a couple of times (not much effort, mind you, but just enough to make me realize it wasn't worth the effort).

Well, they came up with a way to use "color magic" with 5e rules in one of the Plane Shifts (don't remember which one, but I lean to Kaladesh or Amonkhet).
Gary Dallison Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 19:36:31
quote:

As an aside, I have heard rumors that Hasbro has been looking to sell-off WtC. But what if they want to just sell parts of it? What if they want to get rid of D&D and just keep MtG? Could these books and this 'push' be a way for the desperate employees to make the two inseparable?

Just a thought, mind you. We may want to consider buying whatever hybrid materials they offer, just to help them plead their case to Hasbro. Paizo does NOT want D&D/FR (they've made that clear) - and they probably couldn't afford it - which only really leaves Disney, and we've seen what Disney does to IP's.

Although... Alusair as a 'Disney Princess' tickles me no end.

Well i think it can only be a good thing if they sell it on, but thats me being selfish because i dont buy anything wotc sell anymore and im willing to take a gamble on someone buying FR and releasing products i will buy, even if the new owners release nothing im not buying anything now anyways
hashimashadoo Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 19:06:46
Hasbro doesn't separate it's announced revenues among it's subsidiaries so it's very difficult to say exactly how much more MtG makes in comparison to D&D without actually working for either company. Hasbro did however put out a list of it's top 8 earning properties 10 months ago and D&D wasn't in the list (despite D&D's leaps and bounds in popularity since 5th ed came out) so they don't consider the FR to be a particularly profitable property. We already know that WotC have only announced that they will be publishing 3 D&D books in 2018.

I sincerely doubt that we'll see an FR/MtG crossover any time soon and if the rumours in the financial sector are true, Hasbro will be selling WotC some time in the next 5 years, which could mean we'll be seeing asset stripping taking place.

The success or failure of the movie will be a major determining factor in the future of the franchise but IMO, even if the movie is successful, an FR/MtG crossover is not "in the cards".
Markustay Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 19:00:39
As an aside, I have heard rumors that Hasbro has been looking to sell-off WtC. But what if they want to just sell parts of it? What if they want to get rid of D&D and just keep MtG? Could these books and this 'push' be a way for the desperate employees to make the two inseparable?

Just a thought, mind you. We may want to consider buying whatever hybrid materials they offer, just to help them plead their case to Hasbro. Paizo does NOT want D&D/FR (they've made that clear) - and they probably couldn't afford it - which only really leaves Disney, and we've seen what Disney does to IP's.

Although... Alusair as a 'Disney Princess' tickles me no end.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 18:47:53
My first thoughts are that FR would have made a great MtG world, but unfortunately, they've already done the 'adventurer's world' (Zendikar), so at this point FR would probably be redundant (unless they set it during the Spellplague century, which might be kinda neat - play-up the mutations and spellscars aspects).

It really is a no-brainer. With D&D, MtG has more worlds they can add (although they've already done quite a few of the flavors already, including Ravenloft). But with the MtG stuff, it gives D&Ders access to new worlds that have specific themes, and by combining that with Planescape (which is where I see this going - they do seem to be hitning a new Manual of the Planes with all this talk of githyanki, etc.) its pure win. They can add the Outlands and Sigil to MtG with nary a wrinkle - it can be the 'homebase' for many Planeswalkers.

Now, what to use from us? They should AVOID the big names, like drizzt and Elminster (well, maybe Drizzt as some sort of leader, but certainly no Planeswalker... he is already waaaaaay too much like Elric) There are some other Planeswalkers we have that are not 'big names', like that guy down in southern Mulhorand (Nezram). You know who would be an interesting choice for one of 'our' (D&D?) Planeswalkers? Doc - the guy from Egg of Phoenix who later wound-up in The North. I think he'd make an interesting Planeswalker as well, since he's already been in two settings. they should bring Blackmoor into it. Even though its not FR, its been part of three other official settings, and there could be a group of 'Blackmoorians' still operating somewhere (I picture them with high magitech, and I also picture them dark-skinned, despite prior lore (they are an ancient, perhaps primeval, race of humans).

Not sure about others - Vecna could probably work. He's always been one of core D&D's 'big bads'. But if they did GH, then it might be better to use iuz, because he has an empire, and you can make a lot of cards around that. And that's the whole thing - I think for a full-on expansion, they'd have to do Planescape, rather than D&D, and then just give us a few juicy bits from several settings. I think the biggest reason why they've waited so long to make this rather obvious move is that the two magic systems are completely incompatible. I think they've been trying for years to come-up with a single-book splat that could add the MtG rules on top of D&D, and they just haven't been able to do it. Maybe now, they have. I think they'd have to make it its own unique form of 'Planes' magic, where you draw from the power of particular planes for your energy, so, like defiling, but also like elementalism and 4e/5e's 'pact' magic. I know I haven't been able to come-up with a workable solution, and I have put my mind to it a couple of times (not much effort, mind you, but just enough to make me realize it wasn't worth the effort).

I used to be a MtG player, but I sold all my cards years ago. At the time I thought I got a good price for them (I sold the entire collection - which included THREE entire complete sets, for $300), but I now see I could have retired just on my Sierra Angels alone (I think I had around seven of those). There was only like three expansions out at the time.

Anyhow, there is still a lot of great ideas and artwork there for us to cherry-pick from, and that's never a bad thing.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 17:25:29
I'm inclined to think they've learned their lesson, there... The Spellfire CCG focused on D&D settings for many of its supplements, and it's no longer around.

And the Spellplague also showed WotC just how dedicated the fans of the Realms are -- they backed off from a lot of those changes.

I don't know a lot about Magic: The Gathering, but I'm fairly certain that it would be easier to create a new setting from scratch, for it, rather than try to force any of the D&D settings into that mold.

Honestly, I think the crossovers have been more about trying to get fans of just one property interested in the other. If people dropping their money on just the RPGs started buying the CCG as well, that's an increase in sales -- and vice versa.

It also makes more of an entry point for people that may like both Magic and RPGs in general, but not D&D -- putting the material out there means it can be adapted to other RPGs, with the hope of it leading these folks back to D&D. Admittedly, though, I think they'd bank more on the general D&D fans than trying to pull in fans of other RPGs -- though they'd certainly be happy to get some more of the Pathfinder crowd away from Paizo.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000