Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Venerating more that one Diety

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sunderstone Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 19:59:27
Is it possible for a cleric or paladin to venerate more than one diety? One they are dedicated or chosen by to recieve their divine spells but have another they hold in nearly as high regard. i.e., a Dwarven paladin of Tyr but one who venerates Moradin as well? Similar to how the ancient Greeks and Romans interacted with their pagan pantheons?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 28 Jan 2018 : 21:22:21
-Are there any "fan made" heresies floating around here? I did a quick search and found a handful of things (from other sites), but I found most of it lacking. The people here I know, generally, do much more detailed and in-depth stuff. I know we had a big thread on the WotC board, but that's kaput.
Zeromaru X Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 19:07:08
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Is there a 5E triad?

The classical one, it seems (as per Storm King Thunder).
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 17:22:09
I guess Ilmater needs to be part of a three-pack because otherwise no PCs would ever venerate him?
moonbeast Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 17:15:45
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Is it possible for a cleric or paladin to venerate more than one diety? One they are dedicated or chosen by to recieve their divine spells but have another they hold in nearly as high regard. i.e., a Dwarven paladin of Tyr but one who venerates Moradin as well? Similar to how the ancient Greeks and Romans interacted with their pagan pantheons?

Of course! For example you could venerate the Triad (Tyr, Ilmater, Torm) of 3E or the Triad (Torm, Ilmater, Bahamut) of 4E.

Is there a 5E triad?
Zeromaru X Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 16:38:42
Yeah, I guess the one you were most related to. Besides paladins and clerics, people in the Realms is pantheistic. They do not worship only one god, but many of them. That's said in "Ed Greenwood Presents - Elminster's Forgotten Realms"
Seethyr Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 15:32:44
When you enter the fugue plane, which deity comes calling for you if you worship a pantheon or more than one? Is it just a matter of who you were closest to?
Zeromaru X Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 13:40:48
Didn't that started in 3e with the "philosophical" thing stuff? I mean, in Eberron you get divine magic from faith alone, and gods there can or cannot exists. I remember there is lot of making philosophical religions in 3.x Deities & Demigods, as well.

So, if you have faith in a potted plant, you get spells.

I mean, many stuff that people criticize in 4e and 5e actually started in 3e...
Markustay Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 04:24:53
And in 4e/5e heresies work even better!

Because it doesn't matter WHAT you worship - even a potted plant! You STILL get spells!
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Jan 2018 : 22:12:21
-Just like 'heresies' were a cool thing that they started exploring a bit in the late-2000s, I wish divine alliances like The Triad and The Pentad got a little attention.
Diffan Posted - 26 Jan 2018 : 21:07:52
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Of course! For example you could venerate the Triad (Tyr, Ilmater, Torm) of 3E or the Triad (Torm, Ilmater, Bahamut) of 4E.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Jan 2018 : 02:50:46
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yes, VERY much so.

There is even at least one Chosen that worships one god, but is the Chosen of another. The gods involved are Eilistraee, and Mystra, and the Chosen is that drow from The Promenade (forget her name ATM).

Found it: Qilué Veladorn

-There's a bunch of them. All those nature/peace deities had the same overlapping group of Chosen. The Seldarine has Queen Amlauril and her daughter as collective Chosen.
TBeholder Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 23:01:29
There was some Vhaerun + Lolth clergy.

Also, there was a priestess of Sune & Hanali (half-elf, of course).
Zeromaru X Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 22:00:01
Remember 4e novels caters to a different public than the earlier D&D novels. It was epic fantasy rather than high fantasy. Though, you shouldn't overlook the Brotherhood saga. It was one of the best sagas the first 4e batch of novels had to offer.
Markustay Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 21:21:17
"Character enters 'godmode' "

That's all I need to hear. No thanks. Sounds like Dragonball.
Zeromaru X Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 21:08:37
You also have Medrash, the dragonborn paladin from the three first novels of the Brotherhood of the Griffon saga, who was a paladin of both Torm and Bahamut and both gods granted him with spells and such stuff. In fact, there is a battle were Torm and Bahamut empowered him at the same time, making Medrash enter into "god mode" and defeating a lot of dragons on his own.

I guess, is more easy for allied gods thought. I cannot imagine a cleric/paladin/whatever of Corellon and Lolth, for instance.
Irennan Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 21:06:25
Qilué actually worships both Eilistraee and Mystra, even tho she always seemed closer to the Dark Maiden than to the Lady of Mysteries.

But yes, even being a cleric of a whole pantheon of gods is a very real thing.
Markustay Posted - 25 Jan 2018 : 20:02:31
Yes, VERY much so.

There is even at least one Chosen that worships one god, but is the Chosen of another. The gods involved are Eilistraee, and Mystra, and the Chosen is that drow from The Promenade (forget her name ATM).

Found it: Qilué Veladorn

EDIT:
There are also clerics to bipartite and tripartite deities, orders of paladins and such that worship the group, rather than just one (although, technically, one is supposed to be 'their patron').

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000