Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Orc beer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bladewind Posted - 19 Jan 2018 : 13:34:18
Would Orcs on Faerun have (once) been sophisticated enough to have their own alcoholic beverages?

Can you think of some good names they'd give it?

Cheers!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 00:49:21
Cream Soda is the ONLY soda I enjoy. I also drink gingerale, in a pinch, but otherwise avoid soda like the plague it is.

One caveat - at Burger Kings now, I notice they have these 'create your own beverage' type dispensers, and you can add vanilla to just about anything. Now, I don't go to BK very often, but now when I do, I always get Sprite with vanilla - it makes for a delicious cream Soda substitute!

Now back to beer..

I was just reading some stuff about goblins, and apparently they sometimes supplement their diets with crushed rock. It doesn't say they derive any nutritional value from it, but it doesn't say they don't either. I would have to guess they're just doing it to 'feel full' in times of hunger because biologically, I can't see how that is going to do anything for someone... even a goblin. I guess they don't have to worry about their daily mineral requirement.

ANYWAY, my point in mentioning that was that maybe we should be thinking outside the box for non-humans (as Dalor did with the boobear). There is no reason why non-humans wouldn't be using untraditional substances in their drinks. I can definitely see elves using a lot of barks and leaves. So what grows on mountainsides? Some hardy berry types. Some prickly bushes and maybe scrub-trees. Some cacti (there are cold weather varieties). But what about bugs? Vermin? Can a drink be made out of that? Maybe some sort of beetle's juices?

And what about fermented piss? Is that even possible? Probably too acidic. Maybe there is some sort of plant fiber they can pour it through to filter-out most of the acids? And then add some crushed berries and make some sort of nasty 'jail house' hootch?

Crushed rock, though, is a rough one (pun intended). Maybe they get water from a reddish-tinged source because of iron/rust? I know there is one stream or pond in the Stonelands like that (it appeared in the Cormyr trilogy). So 'rusty water' beer? Humans couldn't drink it, but Orcs would probably have no problem. A drink made from sea water. Very salty... maybe Orcs and dwarves would love the stuff, and everyone else would find it disgusting.

sfdragon Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 00:45:05
mmmmm orange cream soda.........

ummm back to orc beer or I go back to...... root beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXI6giLMGU

anyway I would imagine that orc beer would state that it was made of one thing and go and say on the back of the label what it is really made of.
ie:
Orcish elven screams: made from 5 drops of elven breast milk on the front of the label.
and the back it says ingredients: fermented goat milk, honey, hops, wheat, fish scales, corn, honey and contains 15% alcohol.
brewers note: no I never make it with elven breast milk, I just put it there just to see who I could disgust.- Or'thmar of ManyArrows keep
sleyvas Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 00:23:12
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
And BTW, thanks for letting me know I'm a Fernegi.

Even though I have small ears, am tall, don't really hiss at stuff...

But I would gladly go to war against the abomination that is Root Beer. I recall the first time I tasted it as a child and thought, "why would people drink this stuff?" And I'm a guy who finds Guiness and Yaegermeister delightful.

SACRILEGE!!!!! Next you'll say you don't drink cream soda (of either red, vanilla, or the butterscotch variety)!
sfdragon Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 00:18:51
mmmmm root beer....
Markustay Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 20:48:44
I don't know, I find Orcs and Klingons very similar, especially post-Star Trek the Movie (1st movie), when they 'got all ugly'. Klingons are just Scro - a bit smarter and better trained, and like to play in space. I can so definitely see Orcs eating Gagh. Come to think of it, Klingons must have been disappointed as hell the first time they ate at a human restaurant and ordered 'Worms & Dirt'.

As far as their cultures go, I think during St:tNG's tenure as 'THE Star trek', they swapped the cultures of Klingons and Romulans around from how they originally were (Romulans used to be about honor, and Klingons were direputable - they seem to have flip-flopped with tNG).

And BTW, thanks for letting me know I'm a Fernegi.

Even though I have small ears, am tall, don't really hiss at stuff...

But I would gladly go to war against the abomination that is Root Beer. I recall the first time I tasted it as a child and thought, "why would people drink this stuff?" And I'm a guy who finds Guiness and Yaegermeister delightful.
Ayrik Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 09:26:43
Far be it for nasty old Ayrik to mini-moderate ... but this topic seems to be drifting into disgusting and irrelevant discourse.

Back to orc booze?

Can't say I really agree with the generic "orc = klingon" assertion. The two races do have some overlap but they're also very different creatures with very different roles in their respective settings. Klingons sure do like their bloodwine - or at least they proudly insist they do and keep enthusiastically drinking the stuff because that's what klingons do! And at least one klingon really likes his prune juice. But klingons also find human beverages like coffee and whisky (and "warm milk toddy") utterly repulsive, and exotic beverages like Romulan Ale (or perhaps elven Evermead?) somewhat flavourless and unpleasant. Some klingons just hurl their drinks away in disgust or openly pour them onto the ground, most just sniff and growl, while more civilized klingons (like Worf) politely avoid more than the requisite single cautious sip by saying things like "good tea, nice house" or "it seems to be an acquired taste".

On Deep Space Nine, Quark and Garak describe human root beer as "vile", "insidious", "bubbly, cloying, and happy". They both consider it horrible and instinctively cringe from the taste (and aftertaste). Apparently very few other races enjoy root beer, Quark says he's got 80 cases of the stuff sitting in his stockroom that he can't unload. "But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it ... you begin to like it."

(And then Garak continues drinking his Kanar, a pulpy strong alcoholic much loved by Cardassians, even Cardassian children, but which other races can barely stomach and describe with "it takes a bit of getting used to".)

We know orcs like a lot of things humans (and elves, and dwarves) find repulsive. But there might be various liquors and delicacies which are prized by humans (and elves, and dwarves) which orcs find utterly foul and undrinkable. There are certainly some dwarven drinks nobody else can tolerate, and some human drinks which elves never consume, and even human drinks (like licorice-flavoured alcohols) which some humans love and others despise. I don't imagine orcs to be so completely undiscriminating in their palette that they'll just guzzle anything from anywhere, they must have some preferences, and they would probably create their own beverages to suit these preferences.
sfdragon Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 09:21:32
they wouldn't have to be buxom enough, said elf's breasts just have to be big enough,,,,, yeah ok... moving on
Markustay Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 09:01:57
Yeah, I hate elves, and I love Orcs, but even so... that was just wrong on SO many levels.

Besides, I don't really picture elf-women being on the 'buxom' side - they tend toward slenderness. Makes the whole process even more weird, IMHO. Now, a plump little dwarf woman, thats another story. Just as gross, but doable.

What does 'work' for me is the idea that an Orc female (once again, thinking about Klingon Women here) would probably find it funny to 'whip one out' and spray an elf in the face, just to see his reaction (horrified look, everyone in the tavern laughing... that sort of thing). "Whats a matta, hun? Too 'real' for you? Maybe you should go back to your little fairy girls". I can SO see that.

I've played Orcs (well, half-orcs, but I always play them like full orcs), and I've played plenty of female characters, but I've never payed a vulgar orc woman. I'm going to have to try that - it sounds like fun.
sfdragon Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 04:15:37
no... I could have sworn I read markustay state that too.....

and sleyvas, umm you worry me

umm and aa... that beer might be a bigger hit with the scro
Ayrik Posted - 23 Jan 2018 : 03:28:24
quote:
and here I thought you hated elves....
Nope, that's me.

And it's not so much that I "hate" elves, "hate" is far too strong a word. More that I "dislike" the unthinkingly blind love automatically offered to elves (and other fey creatures) by the popular media and the masses.
Bladewind Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 18:20:58
All these examples make me wonder whats found in the alchemical traditions of shamen in orc and goblinoid cultures. They might be truly unique sources of power for them, with scattered but extensive lists of exotic ingredients brought in by orc hunters over the eons across the multiverse. The typical issues of survival would be stressed, with foremost agents against diseases and indigestion. But I like to think most is based on superstition too, such as with the mystical sense that eating ones foes passes on some of its power to the eater.

Alchemy is one of the few ways a female orc can gather some influence and status; it might even be used to hide some real girly arcane spellcasting skill for self defense with flashy powdery tricks. Clerics of Luthic might have unholy variations of good orcish brews for use in their rituals and are probably good at alchemy because of those blood rites as well.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 12:13:00
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

wonders if orcs have beer made from captive humanoid( such as elves) breastmilk.... well it would be insulting to their hated enemies...

The image of an orc 'milking' an elf was... unpleasant...

To say the least. I'm going to have nightmares now.

Um, is it wrong of me to say I'm kinda turned on....
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 12:10:57
quote:

Why do you think Orcs would enjoy things being sweeter? At the risk of sounding misogynistic (which orcs VERY much are), anything sweet would be considered 'girly' (or elven, which to them would be similar).

I picture desert-orcs making beverages from extremely spicy peppers. They would find it funny to see the faces of outsiders as they drink the stuff (choking, not being able to breath, turning beet-red, etc.) Orc food & drink should represent orc culture - everything should be some sort of challenge. There is an episode of ST:tNG I rewatched recently, where Riker becomes second-in-command on a Klingon vessel (A Matter of Honor). I like the episode because it gives us a view of Klingon culture, and I've always pictured it very similar to Orcs. Riker had practiced eating klingon food so as not to embarrass himself (its pretty damn gross), and when he got on board he found that Gagh (a dish of worms) was supposed to be eaten LIVE, which he didn't know (he was eating bowls of dead worms). Like i said, those are the kinds of details in a setting I really like. You won't see things like that on Star Wars (which is weird, because even though they having MUCH better aliens, all of them act MUCH more 'human' than the aliens in ST). Except Jabba... he's got some cool eating habits (stolen from the Dune movie BTW - George Lucas never had an original thought in his life).

Anyway, my point is that 'strong warrior cultures' come form places where it's hard to survive. Bringing up Dune again, the emperor's elite fighters were trained on an especially harsh planet, which is why they were so damned good. Then they met the Fremen of Arrakis (Dune), and they were completely outclassed. Arrakis being the harshest environment humans lived in in the Galaxy. Orcs should come from such an environment - one that challenges them constantly. Even the food & drink should represent this ("be sure you spit-out the pits of the Dromaberries, U-maan... they are poisonous. To swallow even one means agonizing death!")

Sweet equals nutritious and energy giving (now, granted in OUR culture, we overdo it, but orcs won't have our resources typically, and they tend to work harder, so they burn it off). Orcs would love things that do that. While I see them loving to drink their enemy's blood, it would be a bitter, metallic flavor. Mixing the two things.... sweet but "elvish" with bitter blood might make it more palatable to them (i.e. less girly).
sfdragon Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 10:16:14
and here I thought you hated elves....
Markustay Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 09:18:37
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

wonders if orcs have beer made from captive humanoid( such as elves) breastmilk.... well it would be insulting to their hated enemies...

The image of an orc 'milking' an elf was... unpleasant...

To say the least. I'm going to have nightmares now.
sfdragon Posted - 22 Jan 2018 : 08:30:40
Ayrik Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 21:58:20
Sweet-tasting foods are attractive to humans and primates and many other animals. Because sugar contains many calories, it's high-density high-energy foodstuff, a handful of sugarberries could really help keep you alert for a few hours in an active hunting/foraging lifestyle. I'm thinking that many orcs would have a sweet-tusk and, while they might generally prefer hard spicy fare, they'd also find it very hard to turn down a chocolate-coated halfling. It's only in our soft, decadent, consumption-based society that obesity and other health problems caused in large part from awful diets and overconsumption of sugars (overprocessed sugars, at that) could even be possible - if people had to expend calories to obtain calories then their preferences for sugar would never be considered "girly" or "elven".

I would actually expect orcs to have a blunted, almost rudimentary sense of taste. Aside from a definite preference for meat (high protein mass) they seem to enjoy eating things other races would consider inedible refuse. They'd also use every part of a halfling except the squeal.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 21:40:15
quote:

Why do you think Orcs would enjoy things being sweeter? At the risk of sounding misogynistic (which orcs VERY much are), anything sweet would be considered 'girly' (or elven, which to them would be similar).

Unless orc taste buds process things different. Sweet to a human or elf may have an entirely different taste to an orc... Or it may take something being exceedingly sweet (like, "instant diabetes" sweet), by human standards, to even be noticeable to an orc.
Markustay Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 20:21:19

I picture desert-orcs making beverages from extremely spicy peppers. They would find it funny to see the faces of outsiders as they drink the stuff (choking, not being able to breath, turning beet-red, etc.) Orc food & drink should represent orc culture - everything should be some sort of challenge. There is an episode of ST:tNG I rewatched recently, where Riker becomes second-in-command on a Klingon vessel (A Matter of Honor). I like the episode because it gives us a view of Klingon culture, and I've always pictured it very similar to Orcs. Riker had practiced eating klingon food so as not to embarrass himself (its pretty damn gross), and when he got on board he found that Gagh (a dish of worms) was supposed to be eaten LIVE, which he didn't know (he was eating bowls of dead worms). Like i said, those are the kinds of details in a setting I really like. You won't see things like that on Star Wars (which is weird, because even though they having MUCH better aliens, all of them act MUCH more 'human' than the aliens in ST). Except Jabba... he's got some cool eating habits (stolen from the Dune movie BTW - George Lucas never had an original thought in his life).

Anyway, my point is that 'strong warrior cultures' come form places where it's hard to survive. Bringing up Dune again, the emperor's elite fighters were trained on an especially harsh planet, which is why they were so damned good. Then they met the Fremen of Arrakis (Dune), and they were completely outclassed. Arrakis being the harshest environment humans lived in in the Galaxy. Orcs should come from such an environment - one that challenges them constantly. Even the food & drink should represent this ("be sure you spit-out the pits of the Dromaberries, U-maan... they are poisonous. To swallow even one means agonizing death!")
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 19:04:01
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

True, maybe they actually have a tendency to gather blood and make it a quick "additive" at the last second to some other drink. In fact, maybe they use something simple like potatoes or mushrooms and make a vodka, but then the orcs add blood to it at the time of drinking to dilute it and flavor it. Maybe they carry small flasks of it, and after a battle they gather cups of their enemies blood and drink.

This is exactly how I see it. Orcs love the blood of their enemies; and mixing it with their booze would kill off any of the diseases held within.

The orc term "Lul Gijak-Ishi" means "Flowers in the Blood"...and though this usually refers to elves; it also takes on a negative connotation regarding things like disease.

Remember, Aboriginal Americans were VERY resistant to diseases as well...until exposed to new diseases. So while Orcs are resistant to the diseases that are common in their own living conditions, they are not resistant to diseases that the Elves, Humans and Halflings might be resistant to in THEIR living conditions.

In fact: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling populations are the most resistant races with hardy constitutions...and any disease that they could be affected by might have catastrophic consequences on an Orc population.

So, carrying alcohol with them (as perhaps their only disinfectant and pain relief) would be typical for a culture in a fantasy setting that is evil and doesn't have access to healing magic.

When they decide to celebrate a victory, they could indeed mix the blood of their enemies with their Gavik to make sure any disease was dead.

So, would blood mixed with Gavik be Gavik-Gijak?

Hmmm, and thinking on it, it might be interesting if they made vodka like drinks from sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and maybe a rum from sugar beets?
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 18:35:14
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

True, maybe they actually have a tendency to gather blood and make it a quick "additive" at the last second to some other drink. In fact, maybe they use something simple like potatoes or mushrooms and make a vodka, but then the orcs add blood to it at the time of drinking to dilute it and flavor it. Maybe they carry small flasks of it, and after a battle they gather cups of their enemies blood and drink.

This is exactly how I see it. Orcs love the blood of their enemies; and mixing it with their booze would kill off any of the diseases held within.

The orc term "Lul Gijak-Ishi" means "Flowers in the Blood"...and though this usually refers to elves; it also takes on a negative connotation regarding things like disease.

Remember, Aboriginal Americans were VERY resistant to diseases as well...until exposed to new diseases. So while Orcs are resistant to the diseases that are common in their own living conditions, they are not resistant to diseases that the Elves, Humans and Halflings might be resistant to in THEIR living conditions.

In fact: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling populations are the most resistant races with hardy constitutions...and any disease that they could be affected by might have catastrophic consequences on an Orc population.

So, carrying alcohol with them (as perhaps their only disinfectant and pain relief) would be typical for a culture in a fantasy setting that is evil and doesn't have access to healing magic.

When they decide to celebrate a victory, they could indeed mix the blood of their enemies with their Gavik to make sure any disease was dead.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 13:57:15
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Why bother to pasteurize things and kill off disease?

Orcs are known to prefer meat, sometimes depicted as cooking/burning it, sometimes eating it raw. And while they're not as absolutely filthy as trolls and gnolls, they're certainly not known to be fussy with hygiene. Maybe they all smell like musky male-dominance pheremones, for all we know. Or maybe they somehow mask their scent for hunting.

It seems to me that orcs are a hardy and robust species, resistant to infections and parasites and diseases (and poisons). If they weren't - given their lifestyles - then they likely wouldn't last very long or become so numerous. Remember that orcs tend to have no real access to curative or healing magics. And very little concern for weaklings in their own tribes - a sick orc would probably never dare show any pain or weakness among his own kind - he'd know that they'd exploit it - and they'd know that any affliction so serious it can't be hidden is a threat which must be removed.

On this same topic though, possibly blood sausage is a particular favorite for orc expectant mothers, and thus carcasses have sections of their fat, blood, liver, marrow and other soft organs carved away to make it for the women folk (and intestines are cleaned for casings, with the extracts of such used for the growing of mushrooms), while the men eat the muscle.

The point though of having them cook the stuff is that its less work for the body if you let a fire "cure" food down rather than make your body do it. Some think cooking is the reason why humans are so much more intelligent, and why pets of humans tend to seem to be more intelligent. Speaking on that subject, given that mushrooms would tend to grow easier where orcs live in darkness, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of recipes for cooking flesh with mushrooms (which also tend to take on the flavor of what they are cooked with).
Starshade Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 11:52:05
What comes to mind for me is cloudberries and crowberries. Any alpine, fen/tundra or alpine mountainous northern region would have something like this. Perfect for making wine.
I just can't imagine mountain orc's of Faerun picking blueberries or cloudberries..
Maybe fermented rothe milk?
Ayrik Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 11:14:16
Why bother to pasteurize things and kill off disease?

Orcs are known to prefer meat, sometimes depicted as cooking/burning it, sometimes eating it raw. And while they're not as absolutely filthy as trolls and gnolls, they're certainly not known to be fussy with hygiene. Maybe they all smell like musky male-dominance pheremones, for all we know. Or maybe they somehow mask their scent for hunting.

It seems to me that orcs are a hardy and robust species, resistant to infections and parasites and diseases (and poisons). If they weren't - given their lifestyles - then they likely wouldn't last very long or become so numerous. Remember that orcs tend to have no real access to curative or healing magics. And very little concern for weaklings in their own tribes - a sick orc would probably never dare show any pain or weakness among his own kind - he'd know that they'd exploit it - and they'd know that any affliction so serious it can't be hidden is a threat which must be removed.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 00:12:54
Well, I know Rashemi already have "blood wine" (which may or may not involve blood).... but I could definitely see orcs doing some kind of fermentation process with the blood of their enemies. Maybe not into wine? It would have a very metallic taste due to all the iron in it maybe? But they might consider that "making them stronger". Hell they actually may crave that much iron and protein as it helps them procreate more? Not sure where to go with it. It would take a lot of sugar I'd imagine, and of course boiling it off to kill any disease. Anyway, I know other cultures use blood to make puddings and sausages and such.
Markustay Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 21:19:43
I just assumed orc women fought alongside the males. Its the oldsters and injured that watch the whelps while the adults are 'out playing'. Just my take, anyway. Nothing I've seen in canon, come to think of it (which probably makes sense, give their fecundity).

And while we are on the side-subject, I think goblinoids of all stripes should be giving birth to 'litters'. Twins and triplets should be commonplace. Given what the mortality rate should be, its a wonder they can ever produce 'hordes' at all. (I know you fixed this in your setting - too bad we couldn't rewrite all of D&D, eh?)
Dalor Darden Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 19:45:19
quote:

Yeah, I would have to say these are spot-on. I would never have thought to make beer so flavorful (which is weird, since I actually DO make beer, and its flavorful LOL).

The Kurv'Kumashat is particularly brilliant. So simple, yet something completely alien to our way of thinking.

My family still makes "shine" to this day in small batches. I grew up around moonshine and other homemade drinks.

When I thought about the creation of these drinks, I just had to think about all the things that orcs could make booze from that was laying around that isn't otherwise food to them.

I actually have MORE drinks:

Lul'Migul: "Flower Fog" is a bitter mixture of flower petals used in making a weak wine. Warriors usually refuse to drink the stuff, but females often consume it or use it as a sedative for rowdy whelps.

Flot'Pi: "Leaf Drink" is made out of oak, or more rarely birch, leaves from trees. It is a bitter gin if made very well; but most batches are more closely a wine. Batches of the stuff have to be made in the early spring when the trees are sprouting new foilage.

What most people don't think about is: what are all the women doing when the men are off to war? Orc males rarely hunt much; their focus is on fighting. While defeated foes (and even fallen comrades) might provide meat, most orcs subsist on a diet of foods foraged by the females and whelps.

During the day hours, they wouldn't be out much because orcs just don't like daylight...so during all those hours that aren't spent sleeping or rutting to make the next generation of warriors; the women would have things to do like making clothes, preparing food, and making booze!

The creation of booze is easy and can come from so many places that the resources needed are always at hand.

I come from an Appalachian family of Irish...trust me.
Markustay Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 18:30:29
Yeah, I would have to say these are spot-on. I would never have thought to make beer so flavorful (which is weird, since I actually DO make beer, and its flavorful LOL).

The Kurv'Kumashat is particularly brilliant. So simple, yet something completely alien to our way of thinking.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 15:36:06
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or something like vodka. I understand that potatoes do well in cold weather. Though that still implies at least some agricultural efforts, which isn't something orcs are known for.

Well, potatoes originated in Maztica, so I highly doubt we'd see those spread throughout the Realms as of yet, if at all. If anything, any alcohol in the possession of Mountain Orcs, Gray Orcs, Orogs or Tanarukks was either traded for, stolen or - most likely - spoils from fighting/raiding.

Actually, part of what I like about Dalor's post is that two of the orcish alcoholic drinks he mentions (orcoholic drinks? ) don't really require a major commitment of time or energy to make. Look again at his entries for Dagri'Kumashat and Kapurd. Even in the North, where orcs tend to live by raiding, these drinks are still reasonable options.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 14:32:54
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or something like vodka. I understand that potatoes do well in cold weather. Though that still implies at least some agricultural efforts, which isn't something orcs are known for.

Well, potatoes originated in Maztica, so I highly doubt we'd see those spread throughout the Realms as of yet, if at all. If anything, any alcohol in the possession of Mountain Orcs, Gray Orcs, Orogs or Tanarukks was either traded for, stolen or - most likely - spoils from fighting/raiding.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000