Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rivior's keep & haunted halls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vlad Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 23:45:46
Hi,

despite many errors in realms products stating that Rivior's keep and the haunted halls are one and the same, FRQ1 clearly states that these are two separate dungeons/buildings. But how close are they? FRQ1 also states that there could be a connection, but not how long it would take to get there. From the text it looks like the keep is on top of the haunted halls, but the map cleary rules that out..

Anyone any idea?

Best
Martijn
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 14 Jan 2018 : 22:02:58
It may be fixable - it could be that the 'upper sections' of the Halls went up into the cliffs, and small (slits, really) 'windows' were cut in, so that folks can observe people approaching the main entrance to the haunted Halls. There would be no doors to the outside from there, and no visible structures (the window-slits would be cleverly disguised crevices in the rocks and cliff-face itself.)

Thus, have your cake and eat it too. Personally, I would make it a massive warren, with tunnels trailing off to at least a dozen other locales (for example, the Darkhold is supposed to also have a network of ancient tunnels beneath it, most of which the Zhents have sealed-off). Perhaps even have one tunnel end in a Return Gate (see my write-up for that in the Magic Shop thread). Basically, a portal that folks don't even realized they passed through (no odd feelings of falling, etc., usually accompanied by such forms of travel). Then you can dump the party off somewhere FAR away... anywhere you want them to go next. If you're really cruel, you can even separate them (not knowing a password, it could be spitting them out at different random locations). Of course, that's a LOT more work for the DM... I try not to separate parties without a very good reason (I separated one with a time portal once - that was fun - the second group through actually arrived before the first group that went through).
Faraer Posted - 14 Jan 2018 : 13:43:45
I read the kobold citadel as being on the upper level of the Halls, not a separate literal surface-level building. Ed would have mentioned something like that in the description of the approach to the Halls, both in FRQ1 and in the Knights of Myth Drannor novels. Why would Realms folk confuse Rivior's Keep with the Haunted Halls if there was another castle closer to Eveningstar?

Anhd here's Ed talking about the Halls.
The Masked Mage Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 23:15:55
You can ask Ed and THO if they'd let you have a look at the old campaign maps. I'd bet the answer there would be no however. Easier to make your own.
Vlad Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 14:21:27
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

There is no exact map of the entirety of the structures and never will be. Think of the map as a starting point. Make the halls as big as you want with levels and traps and secret ways that take forever.

Since the 3 rooms that lead up to the kobold fortress are spread over half the Halls, I'd argue the fortress is pretty straight above the halls - up near the top of the cliffs.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Pity there isn't more material anywhere. The keep looks to be on ground level, btw, if you look at the map. But I'll make something up..
The Masked Mage Posted - 05 Jan 2018 : 23:52:04
There is no exact map of the entirety of the structures and never will be. Think of the map as a starting point. Make the halls as big as you want with levels and traps and secret ways that take forever.

Since the 3 rooms that lead up to the kobold fortress are spread over half the Halls, I'd argue the fortress is pretty straight above the halls - up near the top of the cliffs.
Vlad Posted - 05 Jan 2018 : 17:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

The keep on top the halls is and the Killing Keep are two different keeps.

This all comes right out oF FRQ1

I know, I read that as well, but is 'on top' really right above it? If so, how far are the entrances from each other?
also, the Interactive Atlas shows quite a distance between them.. Just wondering if there was any product that had more details on there exact positioning to each other.
Markustay Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 07:06:11
Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas Map of the region.
The Masked Mage Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 00:12:51
The keep on top the halls is and the Killing Keep are two different keeps.

This all comes right out oF FRQ1
The Masked Mage Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 00:11:45
It is stated to be "Farther up the gorge" - that's Starwater Gorge.

Also known as Killing Keep

"It lies almost five miles north of the village, where the gorge narrows to a head. The Keep is a partially ruined castle dug into the western side of the gorge"

The haunted halls are connected to Rivior's fallback stronghold (now a kobold citadel) through areas 23 26 and 32, because one of the rooms in the Haunted halls is "Rivior's Study" and another had his consort in stasis.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000