Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms 4991 DR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 31 Dec 2017 : 00:11:20
So something that I've always wanted to do, and is now fore front in my mind from playing a LOT of Destiny 2, is how the Realms would look in the far future? Or more importantly, how would people want the Realms to look in the far future.

I'm planning it out and it's going to take a while but I'd love some input and discussion on molding the Future Realms and to put loose links to the past (names of legacy and how they relate, for example), how religious orders change with the time and the influx of newer technology, how older structures with stand the test of time to become bigger than they are and, most importantly, the plots that are still going on and how they adapt to the far future.

I choose a 3,500 year time jump and there's a fair bit of expected tech to be incorporated (one can look at d20 Future for your 3.5 D&D needs, Amethyst for 4E [what I currently plan on using], or simply the Future-related items and tech from the Dungeon Master Guide). Such tech like guns, fast modes of transportation, more portal activity, and possibly a switch in currency is going to be heavily prominent changes to the setting.

Which regions would rise to prominence? Which regions would fall into darkness? What happens to the Abolethic Sovereignty? Is Thay still an Undead Wasteland? How does the rise of tech affect the natural-affiliated nations of the Unapproachable East like Rasheman? What role does the Zhentarim play now in this new world? (I personally like a Black Company - Killers for Higher approach). Do Dragons still live or are their numbers diminished due to the ease advanced weaponry and flight?

I'd love to get some insight and create a big collection of ideas. I'm thinking of how fun and awesome marketing is going to be in the FR Future. Could you imagine a line of grenade-like devices made by the Harpells? Or Mithral Hall's Weapons and Armor tech (thinking of "power-hammers" named after Aegis-Fang.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bladewind Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 14:41:01
Interestingly I made this ship unable to land from orbit safely, which would imply that Waterdeep would have a space elevator or orbital station reachable by haulers of some kind to unload onto these Tradesman ships.

I think I would prefer the space elevator, giving Waterdeep the ability to maintain mercantile domination over its neighbors into the far future, while making it a clear focal point in the cityscape of the Sword coast: a literal sword piercing through mount Waterdeep.

Who would be in control of cultured tradecenters like Waterdeep? A cabal of mages like the Hidden Lords held sway for a long time, held back by secret syndicates, but I could also see a celestial plutocracy taking over backed by the banks of the Faerunian clergies.
Bladewind Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 14:04:07
Waterdhavian Tradesman

The Tradesman is a common short-range merchant ship, plying its way between its spaceports-of-call, and not equipped to deal with much more than a similarly-equipped vessel that has turned pirate. The performance of the Tradesman is mediocre at best, and the only reason it has become such a popular vessel is its simplicity (which allows it to be easily built at many different ports, as well as allowing crews with little or no training to handle it), and the fact that its cargo bays and cavernous steerage deck allow it to carry more cargo than most ships its size.

Tier 1

Medium Transport (25 tons, 120 ft length, 30ft wide)

Speed 6; Maneuverability good (turn 2); Jamming Speed 1; Armor Class 14; Target Lock 12

Hull HP 70; Damage Threshold — ; Critical Threshold 11

Shields basic 20 (forward 5, port 5, starboard 5, aft 5) /requires 10 PCU to operate

Attack (Forward) light arcane ballista; 1 crew (2d4) /requires 5 PCU to use

Attack (Turret) amplified magic missile pod; 2 crew (4d8) /requires 10 PCU to use

Arcane Battery Pulse Gray (100 PCU); Jamming Engine Helmsmans Seat (equal to a basic signal hyperdrive and requires 75 PCU to operate); Systems Arcane monitoring station (+0 computer with medium range sensors, 5 PCU to operate), crew quarters (common), mk 3 armor, mk 1 defenses; Expansion Bays cargo holds (3; allowing 18 tons total cargo), arcane laboratory (10 pcu to operate), smugglers compartment (10 tons)

Modifiers +0 Piloting (maximum of 1 Helmsman); Complement 10 (maximum of 3 on weapon stations)

Landing-Land No Landing-Water No
Bladewind Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 12:46:21
Most appreciated.

Building a spelljammer starship hybrid that I would allow in my "magitech" FR campaign now!
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 12:29:26
StarFinder System Reference Document
moonbeast Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 04:23:34
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
How are they going to kill someone that can, on just a whim, render them all utterly powerless?

They have to surprise-attack him with a really high Initiative roll!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2018 : 00:28:22
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I will hold out diving in until they come out with a dedicated setting book. I'll have a look over their srd but there are lots of nice rulesets for future space travel settings so I might be tempted to steal their fluff and use a different ruleset.

I do like to use a slightly more magitech approach to spelljamming though. Perhaps I can mine some of their mechanical ideas in the srd for my 15th century realms campaigns if my players go beyond Torils atmosphere. Perhaps tone down some of the computer based parts of the spaceships in Starfinder and replace it with arcane magicstations...

EDIT: Just checked, and they have no srd up yet

The main book is the setting book -- it's just that it's also the core rulebook.

The main part of the Starfinder setting is the solar system where Golarion was* -- and there is already Pathfinder source material for that, though the Starfinder book does update it.

*Golarion, the world of the Pathfinder setting, has vanished, and no one knows why, where it went, or even when it disappeared. All the gods will say is that it's still around, somewhere. The reason "when" is a question is because there is a long period of time where historical records are either missing or change every time you look at them, and even the people who were around when the normal flow of history resumed didn't have a clear memory of what happened before.
Bladewind Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 23:44:38
I will hold out diving in until they come out with a dedicated setting book. I'll have a look over their srd but there are lots of nice rulesets for future space travel settings so I might be tempted to steal their fluff and use a different ruleset.

I do like to use a slightly more magitech approach to spelljamming though. Perhaps I can mine some of their mechanical ideas in the srd for my 15th century realms campaigns if my players go beyond Torils atmosphere. Perhaps tone down some of the computer based parts of the spaceships in Starfinder and replace it with arcane magicstations...

EDIT: Just checked, and they have no srd up yet
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 23:14:18
quote:

This Starfinder setting might be just the thing to convince some others in my playgroup to give it a try. Is the campaign setting book worth a look?

If you like the idea of blending fantasy and sci-fi, yes.

And it's more than just the campaign book -- the Starfinder rules are a little different from straight Pathfinder; so the book is also the core rulebook.
Bladewind Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 17:58:15
This Starfinder setting might be just the thing to convince some others in my playgroup to give it a try. Is the campaign setting book worth a look?

But I tend to agree that several regions of Faerun would have had at least some religious conflicts over the millenia. I wouldn't equate it to a victory of one over another deity, but more of several pantheons clashing for territory.

So perhaps the Celestial Bureaucracy and the Faerunian pantheon had a (joined) crusade, stopping the Adama or the Enlightened of Zhakhara from spreading too far beyond their borders. Making a future Toril where the Faerunian pantheons polytheism holds a worldwide sway, influencing polities through a complex lobbying system designed to operate laws laid out by a United Nations like World Government.

It would be easier to have had a successful Yihad of the Dieties of Fate, who would have succeeded in wiping out all cults to the other Pantheons from Faerun, thusly creating the new age of racial acceptance and this melting pot of races of all kinds in most city sprawls. This Faerun would be more concerned with certain taboos of ancient times, with bans of iconography or arts of old religions, monitored by a council of wisemen who have deeply integrated agents in every ruling family.

Another religious status quo could emerge if new philosophers that have explored the multiversal galaxies come back with newer religious insights that prove very popular. One could mine Planescape factions and incorporate them into the philosophic texture of a future Toril, giving rise to social groups such as fanatic militaristic nihilists (Doomguards), goths (Bleak Cabal), hedonists (Sensates), etc. who are found in every shadowy corner of the streets of Faeruns mega-cities.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 16:37:47
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

Here's a thought: the religion war that should have happened in the FR finally did, and Gond became supreme. That would mean the sciences were no longer actively suppressed by the pantheistic order. Arcane spell casters are scattered into pockets of cultish cabals clinging to the worship of "the old gods" and trying to take their country/world back" from the progressive and enlightened harbingers of science and reason. Gond's magic items, works, and spells all have "logical" explanations while the rest are merely superstition, myth, and petty trickery that was once used to enthrall and enslave the ignorant masses. There might be a few nations still under sway of the other gods but they are considered backwards and reactionary, called "religiously conservative," and isolated from the forwards thinking nations of the world.

I, personally, don't see this kind of religious war happening. Religious wars pretty much require monotheism, which isn't a thing in most fantasy settings.

While I do think technology would grow far more prominent, I don't see how that would cause all other deities to fall.

Again, I think the most likely outcome of the proposed timejump is something akin to the Starfinder setting. Multiple gods (most of the original Pathfinder deities) are still around, magic is still around, and everyone has tech -- sometimes enhanced with magic.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 16:34:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

How about the Gods get together and kill Ao.

How are they going to kill someone that can, on just a whim, render them all utterly powerless?
The Masked Mage Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 08:17:24
How about the Gods get together and kill Ao.
SaMoCon Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 05:25:15
Here's a thought: the religion war that should have happened in the FR finally did, and Gond became supreme. That would mean the sciences were no longer actively suppressed by the pantheistic order. Arcane spell casters are scattered into pockets of cultish cabals clinging to the worship of "the old gods" and trying to take their country/world back" from the progressive and enlightened harbingers of science and reason. Gond's magic items, works, and spells all have "logical" explanations while the rest are merely superstition, myth, and petty trickery that was once used to enthrall and enslave the ignorant masses. There might be a few nations still under sway of the other gods but they are considered backwards and reactionary, called "religiously conservative," and isolated from the forwards thinking nations of the world.
Kessalin Posted - 06 Jan 2018 : 02:22:16
I have a couple suggestions that might provide some inspiration for you, if nothing else.

First, the Tippyverse: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222007-The-Definitive-Guide-to-the-Tippyverse-By-Emperor-Tippy . The setting's namesake does a good job of explaining it in the first post, then elaborates on it throughout the thread.

The second is Numenera: http://numenera.com/ , Monte Cook's science-fantasy game.

Both of those have a lot of good ideas for running a far-future version of a campaign setting.

You might also want to check out the basic themes and mechanics of Eberron, another world where magic has become a technology of its own.
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 16:42:19
My Campaign has an NPC who has been flung from the brothels of Attornash to the final gasp of the Feywild on Toril. The combo of Spell Jammer and Shadow Run meld well with 3.5.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 04:12:22
quote:

I don't remember the name of the setting - 3rd Era i think - someone will know what i mean right away. There was a setting where one of the PC races were basically golems. And the back story was there was a huge war that wiped out a lot of the world and eventually was fought by these automotons instead. Could use that scenario. I think Marcus or Wolly even wrote up a big description fitting them into the Realms at some point.

I get to the end of my typing and think of the name "Warforge" if that is correct.

You are thinking of the warforged of the Eberron setting. The warforged were originally regular automatons, but somewhere along the way, they became sentient. They exist among the standard fantasy races, in that setting, and with a couple other ones that were created for Eberron.

And yes, I did make three Realmsified versions of them.
The Masked Mage Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 03:42:07
I don't remember the name of the setting - 3rd Era i think - someone will know what i mean right away. There was a setting where one of the PC races were basically golems. And the back story was there was a huge war that wiped out a lot of the world and eventually was fought by these automotons instead. Could use that scenario. I think Marcus or Wolly even wrote up a big description fitting them into the Realms at some point.

I get to the end of my typing and think of the name "Warforge" if that is correct.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 01:15:10
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Ummm, except that xenophobia is exactly a vey common, if not essential, trope for SciFi and cyberpunkish settings.

But it's not universal for either genre; Star Trek and Star Wars are notable sci-fi examples where xenophobia is not all that common, and Shadowrun is a good example for cyberpunk. Sure, in all of them, there are xenophobic groups, but overall, in any of the three, no one cares about what race you are.

When races have coexisted more or less peacefully for millennia, xenophobia is not going to be a thing. Yes, there is xenophobia in the Realms, but it's not a Game Workshop thing where everyone hates everyone else. In GW settings, it's perfectly reasonable for different subfactions to go to war with each other, even if the tiniest application of logic would indicate they shouldn't (like the different Space Marine Chapters, for example, or different elder craftworlds).
moonbeast Posted - 02 Jan 2018 : 00:50:10
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Oh so kinda like Warhammer meets Warhammer.

Except without all the Xenophobic and racial hatred overtones. Plus it won't be nearly as gritty and magic is pretty much embraced rather than shunned for being Chaos (the Empire does use Psykers tho).

Ummm, except that xenophobia is exactly a vey common, if not essential, trope for SciFi and cyberpunkish settings.

Just because technology evolves and becomes more sophisticated does not mean that societies become "more enlightened" or more culturally tolerant. SciFi and cyberpunk has demonstrated that as our universe becomes more (perceived) crowded, we will go to great lengths to exterminate entire races, exterminate entire species, or obliterate neighboring planets or federations of planets.

From Planet of the Apes to Blade Runner….. we always figure out that we need to exterminate "the others". And with advanced technology, we conclude that we have the means to accomplish it with weapons of mass destruction, spreading bio-chemical (viral, toxin) weapons that slaughter entire colonies, or super-weapons like Death Stars. It becomes sooooooo much easier to exterminate rival sophonts when you have the technology at your disposal. So very tempting. The futuristic High Elves (Eldars? Eladrins?) will be soooo tempted to eradicate the human locusts once and for all.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 19:28:41
quote:

quote:

I was referencing the setting aspect of it, not the rules.

ah, gotcha. Then yes, very much like Starfinder. I was wondering, wasn't there a Spelljammer ship that crashed on Faerūn near the island of Evermeet? I wonder what, if any, sort of role that wpuld play in a futuristic Realms setting?

There have been a lot of wrecked spelljammers in the Realms, but I'd say the most prominent one is the wreckage of the Monarch Mordent, near Myth Drannor -- and that one, because the green dracolich Dretchroyaster made his lair there, has grafted bits of the ship onto himself, and is looking for its helm so he can turn himself into a spelljammer.
Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 19:12:40
quote:

ah, gotcha. Then yes, very much like Starfinder. I was wondering, wasn't there a Spelljammer ship that crashed on Faerūn near the island of Evermeet? I wonder what, if any, sort of role that wpuld play in a futuristic Realms setting?
Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 15:35:57
quote:

quote:

quote:

I would make it post-apocalyptic.

I had thought of that, though the idea of yet another RSE seems just so over done in the setting. What's the event that causes the Apocalypse? What's the fallout? How many Gods die? It's just too many questions for what is essentially little pay-off.

With that big of a time jump you don't really even need a RSE. Everyone could just die off slowly :P But seriously, figure, tech-wise the Realms is 500 years in our past about. Even were it to take the tech-savvy a long time to think of a way to blow up the world, they'd still have a lot of breathing room.

I guess my point was you can make it anything. Could be LESS tech than already. Could be cyber-warfare. Or anything in between.

I'm thinking of making certain areas similar to this. Sort of like where Thay is now. The Abolethic Sovereignty has put a stranglehold on Turmish but is meeting resistance from the surrounding areas, including the Dragonborn nation of Akanūl and the mage-tech nation of Aglarond.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 15:34:09
quote:

quote:

The old D20 setting Dragonstar matched sci-fi tech to fantasy, but Paizo's new Starfinder does a much better job of it, I think. Dragonstar just layered the sci-fi on top of the fantasy, and while there were some good ideas to it, there were other things that needed work. Starfinder, on the other hand, feels a lot more like what would happen if fantasy evolved into sci-fi. It's still got the fantasy stuff, but the fantasy and sci-fi are much more integrated -- to the point that even the classes are different.

Either one could provide some good stuff to mine for an idea like this, though it is my opinion that Starfinder is the better option. And it's more readily available, too, since it's new and Dragonstar came out in like 2001 and hasn't been supported in ages.

We did a quick one-shot of Starfinder and it was.....OK. It's still based off the d20 system, which continues to show it's age. I played a Soldier with the Blitz fighting style. The features were kinda boring. And they still haven't realized that Feats need to either have a multiple featurs (like 5E does) or advance in stages (like 4E does) to be worth a damn.

In the end I'm sticking with Amethyst from Goodman Games that uses 4th Edition as the basic mechanics. I feel it fits the genre well that can accommodate both Sci-fi and fantasy well.

Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 15:29:05
quote:

Aye, I'd pick up a sourcebook of Shadowrun and your favorite map of Faerun, and replace the Shadowrun names & acronyms with realmsian equivalents. Remove all racial locations (Evereska, Shanatar) and assume widespread city sprawls cover Faeruns landmass instead.

Integrate city parts such as dwarven tech-forge districts, elven net parks, orc combat zones, cleverly hidden gnome arcologies, ilithid-run transit stations, drow subway systems, towering gothic cathedrals run by celestials, draconic upper high towns and goblin slums. Inhabit the sprawls with luddite nomadic tribes, scavenging gangs of streetkids, bored slavewagers with the newest tech, deranged end times cultists, highlife noble teens with dangerous toys and darkshaded corporate high flyers willing to make a quick credit.

Your average party would be made of an orc ex-corp mercenary, an twitched elf techthief, a calculating human hermetic mage and a dwarf shaman of the Forgegod Moradin; wielding a pletora of cutting edge tools such as a Zazzespur-Yhaun Small Arms "Ravenger" revolver, a "Mosstran Mk.2" Zhent-tech heavy machinegun, Teflamms "Knockers" magnetic decoders, ThayMart disposable magic foci-line: "Talisman" and a Soargil-Coarm dataslate with holy blueprints and petabytes of storage.

That's essentially what I'll be doing. Awesome ideas too, thanks! I think the big cities are already going to be pretty massive and probably shrink a LOT of the forests, especially along the coastal areas of the Sword Coast and around major cities in the Western Heartlands and Cormyr too. Only the Elven nations of Cormanthor and Evereska will have strengthened their woodland homes (albeit with improvements of their own).
Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 15:24:22
quote:

Except without all the Xenophobic and racial hatred overtones. Plus it won't be nearly as gritty and magic is pretty much embraced rather than shunned for being Chaos (the Empire does use Psykers tho).
Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 15:21:45
quote:

The old D20 setting Dragonstar matched sci-fi tech to fantasy, but Paizo's new Starfinder does a much better job of it, I think. Dragonstar just layered the sci-fi on top of the fantasy, and while there were some good ideas to it, there were other things that needed work. Starfinder, on the other hand, feels a lot more like what would happen if fantasy evolved into sci-fi. It's still got the fantasy stuff, but the fantasy and sci-fi are much more integrated -- to the point that even the classes are different.

Either one could provide some good stuff to mine for an idea like this, though it is my opinion that Starfinder is the better option. And it's more readily available, too, since it's new and Dragonstar came out in like 2001 and hasn't been supported in ages.

We did a quick one-shot of Starfinder and it was.....OK. It's still based off the d20 system, which continues to show it's age. I played a Soldier with the Blitz fighting style. The features were kinda boring. And they still haven't realized that Feats need to either have a multiple featurs (like 5E does) or advance in stages (like 4E does) to be worth a damn.

In the end I'm sticking with Amethyst from Goodman Games that uses 4th Edition as the basic mechanics. I feel it fits the genre well that can accommodate both Sci-fi and fantasy well.
Bladewind Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 13:23:46
Aye, I'd pick up a sourcebook of Shadowrun and your favorite map of Faerun, and replace the Shadowrun names & acronyms with realmsian equivalents. Remove all racial locations (Evereska, Shanatar) and assume widespread city sprawls cover Faeruns landmass instead.

Integrate city parts such as dwarven tech-forge districts, elven net parks, orc combat zones, cleverly hidden gnome arcologies, ilithid-run transit stations, drow subway systems, towering gothic cathedrals run by celestials, draconic upper high towns and goblin slums. Inhabit the sprawls with luddite nomadic tribes, scavenging gangs of streetkids, bored slavewagers with the newest tech, deranged end times cultists, highlife noble teens with dangerous toys and darkshaded corporate high flyers willing to make a quick credit.

Your average party would be made of an orc ex-corp mercenary, an twitched elf techthief, a calculating human hermetic mage and a dwarf shaman of the Forgegod Moradin; wielding a pletora of cutting edge tools such as a Zazzespur-Yhaun Small Arms "Ravenger" revolver, a "Mosstran Mk.2" Zhent-tech heavy machinegun, Teflamms "Knockers" magnetic decoders, ThayMart disposable magic foci-line: "Talisman" and a Soargil-Coarm dataslate with holy blueprints and petabytes of storage.

LordofBones Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 05:42:53
Maybe fireballs have fallen out of favour for plasmaballs. Maybe wizards keep spellkindles. Maybe clerics now turn and rebuke robots/AIs. Maybe undead in power armor are a thing.

The gods are there, but they've all adapted to the times. Hell, maybe Bane decided that the brute force tyrant route was just not up to snuff as the Realms evolved, and now he's like David Xanatos and the god of Just As Planned. Maybe Sune, Waukeen and Sharess are now staunch allies, when Waukeen isn't swimming in the oceans of gold their businesses have made. Hell, there's probably a niche for Loviatar.
The Masked Mage Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 04:58:25
quote:

quote:

I would make it post-apocalyptic.

I had thought of that, though the idea of yet another RSE seems just so over done in the setting. What's the event that causes the Apocalypse? What's the fallout? How many Gods die? It's just too many questions for what is essentially little pay-off.

With that big of a time jump you don't really even need a RSE. Everyone could just die off slowly :P But seriously, figure, tech-wise the Realms is 500 years in our past about. Even were it to take the tech-savvy a long time to think of a way to blow up the world, they'd still have a lot of breathing room.

I guess my point was you can make it anything. Could be LESS tech than already. Could be cyber-warfare. Or anything in between.
moonbeast Posted - 01 Jan 2018 : 04:31:28

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000