Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
farinal Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 18:47:11
http://imgur.com/ZU46dlG

So this has just been announced. It will include multiple sub-classes for every class, new downtime rules, and new rules for making traps. Released wide November 21st and 10 days earlier at WPN stores.

Here's a clip of the announcement: https://clips.twitch.tv/ArtisticMotionlessSwanBibleThump
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 19:30:44
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

I still wonder if the names were an afterthought to fill page count either because something else fell through or they just needed filler to hit a certain book size. Having nearly 10% of a full price hardcover be what amounts to just purely useless filler is by far my least favorite thing about this book. It's the kind of thing to make me leery about the value of what is being offered when I consider getting future books.

Yeah, 18 pages of names is a bit much.... especially when every race entry they put sample names, etc..... I don't figure something fell through. I figure lazy.
idilippy Posted - 21 Jan 2018 : 18:52:18
I still wonder if the names were an afterthought to fill page count either because something else fell through or they just needed filler to hit a certain book size. Having nearly 10% of a full price hardcover be what amounts to just purely useless filler is by far my least favorite thing about this book. It's the kind of thing to make me leery about the value of what is being offered when I consider getting future books.
Diffan Posted - 17 Jan 2018 : 21:15:21
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Swashbuckler rogue archetype looks nice for Torm-like thieves. But why did they include our-world human names (easily found online) over Realms-style (not)?

My guess? Because there's already a slew of Realmsian names in both Sword Coast Adventure Guide AND the PHB. Also, probably easier to get names of a larger variety in 1-4 pages instead of searching on-line. Also, not every one has instant access to the internet
Faraer Posted - 17 Jan 2018 : 19:01:50
The Swashbuckler rogue archetype looks nice for Torm-like thieves. But why did they include our-world human names (easily found online) over Realms-style (not)?
arry Posted - 17 Jan 2018 : 13:34:21
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
Hope you have your old material for your sake.

I do.
Diffan Posted - 16 Jan 2018 : 14:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

There is "lore" in the new products??

Yeah, where have you been? In EVERY published adventure (Murder in Baldur's Gate, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, Dreams of the Red Wizards: Scourge of the Sword Coast, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat, Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss, Storm Kings Thunder, and now Tomb of Annihilation) ALL have lore about the areas of the Forgotten Realms that the adventure takes place.
Gary Dallison Posted - 16 Jan 2018 : 14:36:50
There is "lore" in the new products??
Diffan Posted - 16 Jan 2018 : 13:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

Welcome to yet another re-hash of things created decades ago. There will be no new lore because its useless in a world where everything changes based on the amount of $ that can be made. RIP Forgotten Realms. Ill see you when some player somewhere makes enough $ to buy you from the Ffolk who have owned you for a twenty years.

What was created decades ago? As for new lore, read any single adventure currently published by WotC, because they're ALL based in the Forgotten Realms. ALL of the content is new Lore, new Canon, new content.

And considering how publishers desperately grasp to their IP's, you'll likely never see the Realms the way you envision again. Hope you have your old material for your sake.
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 29 Dec 2017 : 17:34:44
Welcome to yet another re-hash of things created decades ago. There will be no new lore because its useless in a world where everything changes based on the amount of $ that can be made. RIP Forgotten Realms. Ill see you when some player somewhere makes enough $ to buy you from the Ffolk who have owned you for a twenty years.
Shadowsoul Posted - 27 Dec 2017 : 21:44:30
In fairness, not liking the title goes along with discussing the book. I for one don't like the title because it's false advertising. I expected there to be information concerning Xanathar and his thieves guild, but unfortunately there was none. They are using various FR names to sell a book and nothing else. The is alright, but it's not all that. I've seen better, a lot better. I like the 5th edition rules but I can't stand their marketing strategy.
idilippy Posted - 01 Dec 2017 : 16:44:44
I like the book quite a bit now that I have it, though I think the “special” cover is not great, waited for the regular cover books to be available. The FR name on a generic book is a little annoying but the book itself is high quality in my opinion. I don’t know if there are enough options to lure those who love the character building mini game of 3.5e/PF away but it’s a nice set of additional options for 5e without making the game much more complicated.

On the other hand the multiple pages of name lists in the back feels tacked on and a waste of page count. It’s as if they had an idea for something that fell through so they had to scramble to make a page count goal. I’m not impressed with close to 10% of the page count being name lists in a $50 less than 200 page sourcebook.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Dec 2017 : 13:40:05
Just got my copy, and I'm noting some things right off the bat that I had not noted for 5e. The main one, at the very beginning, its talking about ten "standard" rules and it mentions an entry on bonus action spells. It specifically states that if you cast a spell as a bonus action, you can cannot also cast a spell as an action unless its a cantrip. This does somewhat nerf one of the nice abilities of the sorcerer in my mind. I may actually have to relook at some things I've written up as well. Not adverse to this ruling, BUT there should be some means to get an exception to it under x,y,z conditions... just like I've written some things where a player can gain the ability to multi-concentrate. Options should be available, but at a cost that you can't do something else.
Diffan Posted - 30 Nov 2017 : 13:43:02
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

So now that the book is out, has anyone got a copy? I haven't seen all what's inside and I do see that there's some backlash over having re-hashed material from the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Apparently it was done because Adventure League rules say that you can make a character using the PHB +1 other book (Volo's Guide, Sword Coast Adventure Guide, OR Xanathar's Guide to everything).

That's a stupid rule... and no, haven't got mine yet.

I don't fully understand the rule either? In the ages where splat books were being churned out faster than mobile apps of annoying games, the Groups didn't seem to have any significant qualms about someone using the PHB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Complete Mage to make their character or simply use the DDI with nearly everything compiled into 1 program to make a character either (I just used the online CB to make my daughter her first Water-dragon Dragonborn Slayer using about 5 different sources).

So in an Edition that prides itself on testing, testing, and further testing, you'd THINK they would keep an eye on anything seriously broken? Right now there's like.....3 books plus the PHB and the game is tightly created that there's few instances that make something seem erroneous in a broken way.

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I've got a copy. The amount of pages devoted to previously released material (excluding UA test material) is relatively minimal - it includes a handful of SCAG subclasses and a few pages of Elemental Evil spells, so maybe 10 pages-ish. I thought the various tables were actually useful for a lot of folks to help flesh out their characters. Some of the DM section stuff was less interesting to me, but I could still see the utility (the encounter tables and magic item tables, for example). By far the best thing, and I know this has no game relevance, was Xanathar's commentary. Several made me laugh out loud. There is nearly no Realms lore and certainly none of note. Nevertheless, if you play 5E, it's solid expansion, lots of player options and lots of useful stuff for the DM.

That sounds really good. I'm glad it's only about 10 pages of previous released stuff. I think I'm most excited about the Cavalier sub-path of the Fighter. When I was converting my 4E characters to 5E, the UA Knight fit in exceptionally well with my long-standing Cleric/Fighter character (in addition to the Righteousness Domain from your Forgotten Characters of the Realms supplement!) and turns him into a sort of pseudo-Paladin. The 4E to 5E conversion guide really helps too.
TomCosta Posted - 30 Nov 2017 : 03:29:21
I've got a copy. The amount of pages devoted to previously released material (excluding UA test material) is relatively minimal - it includes a handful of SCAG subclasses and a few pages of Elemental Evil spells, so maybe 10 pages-ish. I thought the various tables were actually useful for a lot of folks to help flesh out their characters. Some of the DM section stuff was less interesting to me, but I could still see the utility (the encounter tables and magic item tables, for example). By far the best thing, and I know this has no game relevance, was Xanathar's commentary. Several made me laugh out loud. There is nearly no Realms lore and certainly none of note. Nevertheless, if you play 5E, it's solid expansion, lots of player options and lots of useful stuff for the DM.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Nov 2017 : 01:54:26
quote:

So now that the book is out, has anyone got a copy? I haven't seen all what's inside and I do see that there's some backlash over having re-hashed material from the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Apparently it was done because Adventure League rules say that you can make a character using the PHB +1 other book (Volo's Guide, Sword Coast Adventure Guide, OR Xanathar's Guide to everything).

That's a stupid rule... and no, haven't got mine yet.
George Krashos Posted - 30 Nov 2017 : 00:19:19
I've just had a flick through and thought that the pages and pages of tables were mashed potato. Just filling.

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Nov 2017 : 23:25:19
I do not have a copy, but, as always in my group, one of the players has bought his copy.

But yeah, there is stuff from SCAG and some people didn't like it. Not all UA stuff got in the book, so that is another criticized point in the store I play. But I personally found the book good. At least, I did liked the random tables.
Diffan Posted - 29 Nov 2017 : 22:30:49
Diffan Posted - 30 Jul 2017 : 23:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by nblanton

It seems that the only person who is adamant that this a perfectly reasonable title for a D&D 5ed Variant Rule's book spells out a WotC apologist message in thier signature.

Well when the shoe fits, perfectly and every time......

luckily no ones forcing you to buy it so Gods be praised there.
nblanton Posted - 14 Jul 2017 : 05:01:39
Seems to me that several folks have hit the nail on the head and realized that this is another step down the road to Greyhawking the Realms. I remember feeling that way about Greyhawk back in the AD&D days (Greyhawk was the de facto setting even if it wasn't the "official" setting until 3rd Ed). It always seemed sorta lame. The Realms feels more and more like its getting that same feeling now. Not really advanced, but parts of its well known lore used as window dressing for what should be a generic rulebook. Every edition has had these (Fiend Folio, Manual of the Planes, Oriental Adventures, Unearthed Arcana, etc.), and I can't see any reason why now it's the time to stop that trend. To me, those variant rulebooks were always a part of D&D the game, and not part of the settings.

It seems that the only person who is adamant that this a perfectly reasonable title for a D&D 5ed Variant Rule's book spells out a WotC apologist message in thier signature.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jul 2017 : 02:16:07
Man, and all I can get a copy of is the latest Cledwyll's Secret catalog...
sleyvas Posted - 11 Jul 2017 : 01:25:34
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I accidentally started a NEW thread in the appropriate section, because I didn't think for one second that this was the appropriate sub-forum for this product (because of a name in the title?)

As for my opinion... I'll skip this.

I'll also skip Elminster's Guide to Dragons and Khelben's Guide to Butt-Scratching.

I 'may' be enticed to pick-up Alias' Guide to Boob-Mail. Ya know... for the articles...

Alias' Guide to Boob-Mail looks like a cloned copy of Sue DeNymph's Guide to Sexting .... but I mean the articles are still good.
Markustay Posted - 10 Jul 2017 : 16:25:26
I accidentally started a NEW thread in the appropriate section, because I didn't think for one second that this was the appropriate sub-forum for this product (because of a name in the title?)

As for my opinion... I'll skip this.

I'll also skip Elminster's Guide to Dragons and Khelben's Guide to Butt-Scratching.

I 'may' be enticed to pick-up Alias' Guide to Boob-Mail. Ya know... for the articles...
moonbeast Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 10:08:13
quote:
Originally posted by DiscerningDM

The 5e launch has made a *lot* of people FR fans, by making it the default, and adventures (hardback) and community play (downloadable) all happening in different areas of the realms. The packed-to-capacity FLGS and Con scene for Dungeons and Dragons is full of people discussing Waterdhavian guilds, Luruar's fate, theories about the Seven Sisters, conspiracies in Cormyr, Athkatlan politics, and trouble on the Moonsea.

As someone who respects the heck out of this form I've lurked on forever, I wish the reception on the boards was more positive. The current designers have really gone out of their way, I think, to weave lore and the FR directly into every gaming product. They don't do splatbooks or straight adventures, everything comes with FR lore included.

If you're not playing the game, especially in public play or via DM's Guild, you're not able to get a sense of how vibrant, vital, and exciting FR is right now.

Well said.

Alas, many of the participating FLGS (the ones that spend the effort to recruit for Adventurers League games) are often packed with Friday night gamers, many of them are new converts to RPG gaming in general. It is a vibrant scene indeed.

And in the past 2 years, it's a known fact that an uptick of celebrities have lent their names to 5th Edition FanGeekery. Anyone can Google this easily, and the "celebrities playing 5e" goes hand in hand with WotC pushing for online social media streaming of D&D sessions (aka live streaming games). It's just awesome to hear when names like Anna Prosser and Will Wheaton are mentioned for participating or collaborating in 5E activities. I could only dream that somehow, some day, I'd get the opportunity to become a "DM to the Stars". LOL

I do applaud WotC's efforts to push D&D into mainstream acceptance. Gone are the old days of the 1970s and 1980s when D&D was stereotyped as a game for awkward anti-social teenagers who lived in their Mom's basement. Gone are those old days when Moral Conservatives and Evangelists would go on TV blaming D&D for satanic rituals and deaths and suicides, etc…. and many TV viewers would actually believe their anti-D&D ranting!

I'm glad that RPGs in general, and D&D specifically, is being accepted more into the mainstream as a viable non-awkward hobby/leisure activity. It took long enough.
Diffan Posted - 11 Jun 2017 : 05:39:07
quote:
Originally posted by DiscerningDM

The 5e launch has made a *lot* of people FR fans, by making it the default, and adventures (hardback) and community play (downloadable) all happening in different areas of the realms. The packed-to-capacity FLGS and Con scene for Dungeons and Dragons is full of people discussing Waterdhavian guilds, Luruar's fate, theories about the Seven Sisters, conspiracies in Cormyr, Athkatlan politics, and trouble on the Moonsea.

As someone who respects the heck out of this form I've lurked on forever, I wish the reception on the boards was more positive. The current designers have really gone out of their way, I think, to weave lore and the FR directly into every gaming product. They don't do splatbooks or straight adventures, everything comes with FR lore included.

If you're not playing the game, especially in public play or via DM's Guild, you're not able to get a sense of how vibrant, vital, and exciting FR is right now.

Thank you for that perspective! I haven't attended any Adventure League play and rarely download stuff from the DM's Guild but I'm encouraged to hear how vibrant things are with the players that do those things. I think it's important to get that sort of point of view in places that have become sort of a large echo chamber.
DiscerningDM Posted - 10 Jun 2017 : 19:57:28

TBeholder Posted - 10 Jun 2017 : 12:22:01
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I only visit Candlekeep for the one good thing it provides…. Realms-specific lore and info.

Isn't this exactly what Candlekeep.com is supposed to do?
quote:
But as far as gaming discussions? Info for people who actually stay current

Like, an RPG version of salon.com? Isn't this what rpg.net does?

"It is inferior—for coffee—but it is pretty fair tea."©

The other side of which is what the problem with the late breed of uninspired copycats is. The question here is whether what's inside is reflected on the box, or do we see de-facto false advertising... again.
As long as it's a rabbit and it's sold as a rabbit, or if it's a cat and it's sold as a cat - everything is fine. If it turns out that a cat is sold as a rabbit - we have a problem.
Ultimately, the animal in the bag is either a rabbit or it isn't. We will have a definitive answer to this very quickly once the bag is opened.
Notions that "I've heard now they make new cool rabbits who can meow! U dun understand PR Ogress!" can appear for only one obvious reason, which is why they are treated accordingly.
Diffan Posted - 10 Jun 2017 : 04:49:15
Thankfully we Realms fan have all that plethora of information, canon, novels, amd game supplements to draw from and use. Use and play what you like :-)
Swordsage Posted - 10 Jun 2017 : 04:20:09
The Forgotten Realms is widely considered to be the most developed, detailed, extensive, immersive campaign setting in he history of he (A)D&D game. There is no other official campaign setting that matches it IMO in that way. Such as it is, it also made a sizeable contribution to the financial fortunes of the company that owned the D&D brand at whatever time in its history. It has received ongoing support from the company, fans, designers and authors for 30 years. So now, after all that, it has been consigned to the role of "placeholder". I think that equates to the setting being disrespected. Just like Greyhawk was in 3rd Edition. Using it as a placeholder does nothing for the brand (and detracts from it, because of the bland, generic content that is attached to it), does not generate new FR fans and likely, as this thread shows, alienates more than a few existing FR fans.

No doubt someone in Marketing thinks that this is a splendid idea and a good use of "valuable IP". Maybe they should talk to the people who thought the same thing about Greyhawk at the time of 3rd Edition - you know, that well known setting 10 or so years ago that is now a corpse. None of the 5th Edition game products now produced by WotC require the Realms other than it provides a series of existing names, locations and maps to save some game designer a couple of hours. I could take every "Realms" product released in 5th Edition and file off the place names and replace them with my own made up names in about 15 minutes and it wouldn't change any of the products one iota in terms of quality and gameability.

So adios to the old Realms and welcome to the shade of the Realms. In another 10 years we can all talk about how it got Greyhawked, consigned to gaming history and never recovered.

The Swordsage
Diffan Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 22:06:40
quote:

Well they (wotc, yourself, and many others) can try and tell me what they want me to think or like and i will of course disagree with them until my dying day. I may be wrong, but at the end of the day the only opinion i need to listen to is my own.

I simply pointed out the facts. Believe and play what you want. I never said otherwise.

quote:

A rulebook is not a realmsbook unless it adds some lore to the realms (classes aren't lore and rehashed lore doesn't count). Furthermore 5e is not even set in the realms its set in some horrible, nightmarish, souless, empty, alternate version.

Then why not just play in the "true" Realms?

(not a rhetorical question. Genuinely curious)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000