Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Borders of kingdoms, a youtubers views

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starshade Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 15:23:13
Just saw a youtube video by Matthew Colville, "Lore Vs Writing" 29:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTGc3w93MU
On the question about what is enough prep:
quote:

- "it is different for different people"
- "As example. I tried to run the forgotten realms, a long time ago, but it did not seem a real place to me. Where is the national boundaries? Who is in charge? Is it a kingdom? Is it a Dutchy? Where is the knights the town people can complain to?

What do you guys think? Do the realms got "diffuse" borders and is a bit under developed? Or is his kind of fun just more suited different material?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 06 Dec 2017 : 21:31:53
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And let's not go any further down the political path, please.

Couldn't agree more. I get sick and tired of seeing that BS plastered everywhere else that I would prefer to not see it on Candlekeep of all places.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2017 : 18:17:15
And let's not go any further down the political path, please.
Markustay Posted - 06 Dec 2017 : 16:31:50
When Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate visit the Realms (for the meeting of cross-time Khelbens), they are referred to as Doctors without Borders.

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In the word's of our immortal orange leader - "Its HUGE!"

Interesting how instead of just saying "Trump" you decided to go with "Immortal Orange Leader."
Interesting you find that interesting...

because my political stance is... interesting.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 06 Dec 2017 : 15:37:36
quote:

Interesting how instead of just saying "Trump" you decided to go with "Immortal Orange Leader."
Starshade Posted - 05 Dec 2017 : 23:41:09
I'm sort of agreeing with you guys here, though I take a lot of such things for granted.
Bladewind Posted - 05 Dec 2017 : 01:17:56
My campaigns in the realms have rarely had to deal with landownership or borders, just the occasional toll by bandits lords (who occasionally might be royalty or nobility).

Most settlements have clearly recognizable but generic guards, who might be drinking away their stress in the same tavern the pc's are in. Those have never proven insufficient for my needs as a DM and are a blast to roleplay.

Sometimes I admittedly try to avoid staying long in the cities, as trekking across the ruinous landscapes of Faerun and all the portals from Faerun into its beyond is the main attraction for me as a DM.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 20:43:32
quote:

Thats what put people off. Instead of having a 'core' place to start your campaign (which we did, in 1e - Cormyr and/or The Dales), you can 'start anywhere', because there is enough information to do so on almost anyplace in the Realms. Now, depending on your 'style', different places fit different needs. We have Cormyr, which has all the rigid structure most folks want from a medieval kingdom, and then we have every shade in-between, to the Border Kingdoms ('robber barons') to the lawless Savage Frontier (The North). Unlike other settings that gives you a good "beginner's area" (a'la video games), every area can be adjusted to every level of play, so its a bit daunting when you are just starting out with The Forgotten Realms.

Obviously the designers recognized the problem, and tried to give us that 'start area' in 4e with putting Loudwater right at the beginning of the 4e FRCG. To many of us, Loudwater may have seemed like a weird choice, but it was for that reason - there was no preexisting 'feelings of entitlement' about that area - that allowed them to use it thusly. And in 5e, we got the SCAG. And Neverwinter.

When the maker of that video first tried to 'get into The Realms', it was probably right around the time FR was so 'messy', near the end of the 2e era, or perhaps just entering the 3e era. We weren't given a lot of 'direction' because it wasn't that kind of setting - it was the ultimate sandbox. People born in the age of video games expect a clear & precise 'path' - a linear route one is expected to take. FR has never had any such unrealistic device.

Where is the precise border of Cormyr? Why, at the end of YOUR sword, of course. Thats the part he just never got. FR is many different things to many different people, and the 'flavor' of the setting is what you mold it into.

Indeed. Sharply-defined borders are more of a modern concept, and have considerably less importance in areas of sparse or no settlement.
Markustay Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 19:51:30

Thats what put people off. Instead of having a 'core' place to start your campaign (which we did, in 1e - Cormyr and/or The Dales), you can 'start anywhere', because there is enough information to do so on almost anyplace in the Realms. Now, depending on your 'style', different places fit different needs. We have Cormyr, which has all the rigid structure most folks want from a medieval kingdom, and then we have every shade in-between, to the Border Kingdoms ('robber barons') to the lawless Savage Frontier (The North). Unlike other settings that gives you a good "beginner's area" (a'la video games), every area can be adjusted to every level of play, so its a bit daunting when you are just starting out with The Forgotten Realms.

Obviously the designers recognized the problem, and tried to give us that 'start area' in 4e with putting Loudwater right at the beginning of the 4e FRCG. To many of us, Loudwater may have seemed like a weird choice, but it was for that reason - there was no preexisting 'feelings of entitlement' about that area - that allowed them to use it thusly. And in 5e, we got the SCAG. And Neverwinter.

When the maker of that video first tried to 'get into The Realms', it was probably right around the time FR was so 'messy', near the end of the 2e era, or perhaps just entering the 3e era. We weren't given a lot of 'direction' because it wasn't that kind of setting - it was the ultimate sandbox. People born in the age of video games expect a clear & precise 'path' - a linear route one is expected to take. FR has never had any such unrealistic device.

Where is the precise border of Cormyr? Why, at the end of YOUR sword, of course. Thats the part he just never got. FR is many different things to many different people, and the 'flavor' of the setting is what you mold it into.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 19:26:09
The Forgotten Realms is a rather broad term -- it refers to a game setting, so it can be anything from the entire planet to the Heartlands/Dales/North areas that were originally detailed. And even in that more defined area, there is still a host of city-states, kingdoms, nations, and territories.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000