Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Total War: Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Nov 2008 : 23:52:29
I don't know what the legal aspect of this would be, but does anyone familiar with the game "Total War" know if it would be possible to create a variation of it set within the Forgotten Realms?

Is it legal to do so if done without profit?

Any ideas at all...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 23 Nov 2017 : 00:16:17
Sorry I haven't been paying much attention...I've been totally away from even playing Total War.

I'm afraid I could be of no help due to so many other obligations.
Mapolq Posted - 25 Feb 2017 : 23:03:13
I suggest you make a thread here and ask for text or blurbs that you need. Since we're not familiar with what kind of units/buildings/cities/etc. you went with across the Realms, we need to know where you're lacking stuff so we can try to help.
Titus le Chmakus Posted - 20 Feb 2017 : 15:44:44
Yeah ! Glad to hear that !

Maybe you could help us in the easiest way for you : text writing.

We would need texts to explain everything : factions, units, buildings etc ... So if you or anyone is interested ? That would be with pleasure. And no need to be registered on TWC, we can do it from here.

Thanks
Mapolq Posted - 20 Feb 2017 : 02:34:44
Unfortunately, I'm not able to register at Total War Center. The site apparently thinks I'm a spammer - I sent a message to the administrators two days ago but they don't appear to be getting back to me, let's see.

In the meantime, if you'd like to put up any questions here, I and others might be able to help.
Mapolq Posted - 17 Feb 2017 : 18:35:15
I own a copy of Medieval II and would love to see your work completed. I'll go and make a profile at the TW forum so we can see if I can help you somehow.

I also encourage you to put up any questions on lore you might have in here, though. Candlekeep has some of the greatest sages of Realmslore anywhere in the world, including a line with the authors and particularly the setting creator Ed Greenwood.
Socrates1984 Posted - 17 Feb 2017 : 12:50:57
Being on the mod team that Titus just above is mentioning, I indeed verify that it's still rocking! We are currently on pretty much all aspects of creating a game that will be as close to lore as possible. Well, we have to take into account the fact everything is limited by the Med2TW engine, which means that compromises have to be made. On the other hand, we love FR and we can use all the help we can get.

So, if you want to aid in this project, please have a look in this link:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?748213-Recruiting-(fantasy-M2TW)&p=15244920#post15244920

Even the slightest bit of your time will be of immense help to us!

Thanks for considering.
Titus le Chmakus Posted - 15 Feb 2017 : 10:38:58
This mod is has not been abandonned. We are actively coding it but we lack of hands. If anyone is interested, just leave us a message here : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?476733-Faer%FBn-Forgotten-Realms-TW-last-update-19-10-2016-quot-Dwarves-of-Delzoun-quot-preview-page-40/page42&highlight=faerun

We would need guys to help with reasearch about the lore, no coding abilities are required, so almost anyone can help !

We've already made quite a lot of progress. The Faerun map has been finished with 195 regions, from the far North down to Shar.

We are also doing the units rosters so again any help in research would be appreciable. Some of the rosters lack of information, so we though you guys could help. For example, Unther units ... appart from the Northern wizards ?!

Also, we made some special codes to try to make it looking like Faerun with looting magical items when conquering a city or Good/Evil alignments.

Thanks for any help you could offer.
Eli the Tanner Posted - 26 Apr 2012 : 04:39:28
The project is still actively developing and keen for any and all help

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=476733

The more people involved the better.
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Apr 2012 : 16:07:11
Looks like I got scooped on this:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/faerun-total-war/images/elven-court-nemesser-shaar-area
Hellblazer Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:10:38
What language are you going to use to make the mod ? I'm comfortable with using a few. If help is needed I'll be more than happy to join the team.However, I've never done a 3D graphics game it should be interesting experience for me.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 16:29:16
I'm going to give it a try. I haven't promised success; but over all it is something I'm sure I can do...so long as time doesn't constrain me too much.

After my current project is done, I'll be on this one. Will be starting it in earnest this coming summer once I've moved the family from Montana to Rhode Island.
Hellblazer Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 00:18:32
Oh my. I love the Total War series as much as forgotten realms. So if you guys can actually manage it. I`d totally play this over and over again.
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 17:43:49
Thanks for the explanation, Dalor. It sounds like good plan to me.

Regardless of which part of Total War serial you decide to use for the mod, I am really excited about prospect of having FR implemented into this type of the game.

Cheers,
Tren
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 06:04:57
Man...the more I look at it...the more that Total War: Rome and Barbarian Invasion look like they would give me more flexibility on this mod...

Just a vast array of religions, lots more unit types to play with, and etc. May have to re-think this...
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 05:54:00
There are a couple of ways I can do magic:

1- Magic will simply give attack bonuses, defense bonuses and such for particular "magical" units.

2- Units can be re-modeled from artillery units to look like something else. In essence, a "Wizard" or "Priest" will simply be a modified Siege Engine. Instead of seeing an engine/canon; you will instead see a character model, with attendant aids and a supply wagon.

I know this won't give the true versatility of magic in a game; however it will place some suspension of disbelief in the game.

There are of course going to be standard siege engines; however, the "Wizards" and other casters in the game will have much greater attack rates, attack ratings and etc. that can all be modified in the coding of the game.

I'm actually a very new novice at the code for this game; but I've been reading it quite frequently and I'm starting to fully understand how the game works "mechanically" speaking.

As an example of how this will work:

In Total War II: Kingdoms, there are Church Structures that produce battle-field clergy of various types...here I'll use Danish War Clerics.

These guys are on horses and act pretty much like knights and are produced by a certain level of a church.

In Total War: Forgotten Realms, we take that "church" and remodel it into a Temple. That temple, at a certain level, will allow for the production of "War Clerics" for the game. By going into the code and changing their base-line numbers I can tweak them to the level I want, as well as give them a "missile mechanic" that I can then change in modeling to look like a "Flame Strike" spell, or I can add the "Chanting Mechanic" to the War Clerics to allow them to raise morale of nearby friendly units, or even a War Cry mechanic (which would be an innate ability that need not be toggled on, but would always be ON) to allow them to cause Fear to the enemy.

Unfortunately, I don't think there would be much variety regarding their spells, as I have not found yet an ability to give a unit more than one ability to actually toggle on/off that it can use.

Magic, regret it as I do, will not be all that spectacular for this Mod...though it will be present and give some measure of happiness to those that play it (I hope!).
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 04:32:53
I like it too. Also, if it is avatar of Ao, then I guess it can still be kind of neutral enough, while preserving authority that pope exercised in original game.

[edit]
What I am most interested about is how do you plan to implement magic in game - i.e. units that use magic?
[/edit]

Tren
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 18:08:22
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by coach

Pope = avatar of some deity who has decided for whatever plot reason to meddle on the prime for ahile

I don't really like that idea. It would give a sort of "adventure" plot to a game centring on conquest and empire building.

One possible solution would be to have the papal faction be the Chosen. If one faction actually went overboard with magic in some way or the other way around there could be a reaction.

Hmmm...I actually like that idea. It made me realize that there is a script in the normal game where the Pope demands that a faction leader build a church/cathedral and such...that could be changed into the Chosen/Magister or some such being the Papal Faction and working with kingdoms to have them increase magic in the world.

I could use the existing scripts (tweaked a bit obviously) and really only change the Papal Faction on the surface...There are even Inquisitors that I could change into Harper Agents perhaps...

Still some thinking to be done on it...but I'm liking the ideas you guys are giving me!
Jorkens Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 08:46:33
quote:
Originally posted by coach

Pope = avatar of some deity who has decided for whatever plot reason to meddle on the prime for ahile

I don't really like that idea. It would give a sort of "adventure" plot to a game centring on conquest and empire building.

One possible solution would be to have the papal faction be the Chosen. If one faction actually went overboard with magic in some way or the other way around there could be a reaction.
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 03:06:27
It isn't a real-world comparison Wooly...it is from the game. The Pope is a faction, and it is an integral part of the games hard-coded core. The "Papal Faction" is usually changed to something else in the mods.

In a Lord of the Rings Mod, the evil factions are actually beholden to Sauron...but the modders used the Pope for the purpose. I'm only exploring how to use this particular part of the game through discussion.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 02:14:03
Perhaps we should shy away from real-world comparisons and commentary before someone takes it the wrong way...
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 01:44:48
Well, I have thought of it a bit, and I think I could make the Pope into the Harpers.

Harpers meddle in all sorts of things; but I might be able to institute them in the game in such a way as they would only really relate to the "good" factions. Instead of calling Crusades, they would instead call on goodly kingdoms to work against a particular threat.

I don't know...still in the thinking on this one.
coach Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 00:20:38
Jorkens Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 17:01:28
None of them would work that well, it would have to be something the others might be threatened by or defer to. AO would be the only alternative I can think of, if it is quite impossible to remove the faction. It might be the magister, Larloch or Elminster if it was part of a greater storyline, but for the Realms as they are I cant think of a good substitute.
Ionik Knight Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 15:59:34
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

After that, there really isn't too much concern...except for the Pope!

I'm not exactly sure what to do with the Pope...I can't very well tie in the various factions into one religion. In a mod for Lord of the Rings he is usually made into Sauron! There is no real similarity in TTII:Kingdoms...so I'm still stumped for what to do with him.

I haven't played TW but some ideas for a Pope: Elminster, Manshoon, Larloch, Nobanion or one of the other deities that spends a lot of time on the Prime Material.
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 02:54:10
quote:
Originally posted by Tren of Twilight Tower

quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight

Have you consider making this mod with Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset? The game use 3.5e and you have available all the FR races and a great deal of monsters. Maybe you should try some PW for this game and see if that's what you are looking for.

I would strongly advise against it. Moding in NWN2 takes way too much time and effort. Now, if you said moding the original NWN, then I would say - go for it! NWN is one of those precious games that are highly modable and it does not take previous experience or knowledge.

Also, NWN is already based on modified D&D system. Modified so it can be playable as a video-game. That means one would not need to invent/adapt magic system, plus it has plenty options when it comes to classes and game is playable even on older machines (game came out in 2002).

Tren

Yes, none of the NWN code is going to be useful to me actually...two totally different animals.

Total War II: Kingdoms is a good engine to run factions off of. There are many in that game, and so I'll have to pretty much cannibalize the factions from that game. Re-write scripts, re-model armies, and re-do the map (which is going to be the easiest part for me).

After that, there really isn't too much concern...except for the Pope!

I'm not exactly sure what to do with the Pope...I can't very well tie in the various factions into one religion. In a mod for Lord of the Rings he is usually made into Sauron! There is no real similarity in TTII:Kingdoms...so I'm still stumped for what to do with him.
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 07 Oct 2010 : 21:49:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Just to let everyone know: after I finish my "The Ride" project, I am actually going to undertake working on this mod for the Total War II: Kingdoms game.

Best luck, Dalor! I hope you get some help from available folks. Please keep us posted.

Tren
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 07 Oct 2010 : 21:39:57
quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight

Have you consider making this mod with Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset? The game use 3.5e and you have available all the FR races and a great deal of monsters. Maybe you should try some PW for this game and see if that's what you are looking for.

I would strongly advise against it. Moding in NWN2 takes way too much time and effort. Now, if you said moding the original NWN, then I would say - go for it! NWN is one of those precious games that are highly modable and it does not take previous experience or knowledge.

Also, NWN is already based on modified D&D system. Modified so it can be playable as a video-game. That means one would not need to invent/adapt magic system, plus it has plenty options when it comes to classes and game is playable even on older machines (game came out in 2002).

Tren
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 16:38:10
It will primarily be the Western Heartlands with some bit of lands around.

Perhaps as far west as Darkhold and some surrounding areas, The Vast up to the eastern mountains (not so far as to include lands of Impiltur). North to include all of Thar and The Ride, south to include the Dragon Coast, but not so far as Turmish.

That will be large enough to start I think. I know lots of other lands would be interesting; but for scope and my own abilities, that is as good as I'm going to be able to go for now.
Jorkens Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 08:47:53
It would depend on how far south and east you were planning on doing the map. Amn, Turmish and Rashemen would be logical as playable factions if the map stretched that far. Not only are they important parts of the regions, but they also have different feels from the north-west giving more variation.

But all in all this sounds like an enormous undertaking and I wish you all the luck I can think of.
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 07:12:09
Just to let everyone know: after I finish my "The Ride" project, I am actually going to undertake working on this mod for the Total War II: Kingdoms game.

I will admit that it will be slow going, with many painful strides; but I have looked at how this is done, and I think as long as I have the time I should be able to get it out in about a year or so.

Yeah, a year is a long time; but I actually have this figured out. I'll be borrowing a lot of the code for my project from other fantasy games, as well as a good bit of modeling that I'll have to have someone else do; but most of the work I will be doing myself.

Of course, even AFTER The Ride project, it will only be done after the next two semesters are over.

If anyone at all is interested in working on this here at Candlekeep, send me a PM and we can at least talk about things until then.

As a bit of a preview: I've decided to place the mod in the Old Grey Box era and start the game effective 135x.

The factions I've decided on so far are going to be:

Cormyr

Dales

Hillsfar

Scardale

Sembia

Melvaunt/Thentia

Mulmaster

Zhentil Keep

Major NPC Factions will be:

Barbarians of the Ride

Bedine

Free Cities of the Vast

Pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars

Thar

Westgate

Minor NPC Factions will be (bandit groups):

Cult of the Dragon

Drow Raiders

Goblins of the Marches

Orc Bands (random Hordes as well)

Stonelands Raiders

I'd be glad to hear any and all suggestions on this!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000