Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Avariel in this month Unearthed Arcana

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Nov 2017 : 03:10:44
I guess that, as the avariel play an important role in the Realms, some people would like to see this.

It also includes grugach, sea elves and shadar-kai (as an elven subrace tied to the Raven Queen)

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/elf-subraces
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 27 Nov 2017 : 23:19:11
I look at it this way - there are fey (the type), and then there are Fey, the race (which are actually Eladrin, so there may not even be a need for that anymore).

I've used that elsewhere, to denote a 'superior progenitor' to the offshoots that came later, like giant and Giant, or titan and Titan (although they've given us empyrean and primordial now, so perhaps that one is also no longer necessary).

I find Shadar-Kai unnecessary and redundant with other things (Drow, Feyri, etc). They're basically just the elven version of Shades. I'm surprised we haven't seen shadowdwarves, or Shadowhin yet.

EDIT:
And no sooner did I post that then my brain hit-upon Shadoworcs (Shorcs?) Would they be 'good guys' (because you can't describe them as 'evil orcs' LOL)?

EDIT2:
And I found it odd I didn't mention shadowgnomes, and now I realize something was nagging at me - aren't there shadowgnomes written up somewhere? I can even remember a piece of artwork. It may have been in whatever 3e splat covered 'bloodlines'.
moonbeast Posted - 16 Nov 2017 : 17:58:02
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I wonder if it'd be more appropriate, what with 5e's Race/Subrace setup, to call the Elven "Race" Fey, and the sub race Elf (High/Wood/Drow/Eladrin/Shadar-Kai?)

That's problematic at best, since the word "Fey" is used as a broad "Creature Type" in 5e. And it's so broad that Blink Dogs are considered Fey. And so are pixies and brownies and dryads and satyrs and redcaps.
TomCosta Posted - 16 Nov 2017 : 03:26:00
I have a more Realms-based take on both the avarial and shadar-kai in Forgotten Characters of the Realms on DM's Guild, http://www.dmsguild.com/product/207031/Forgotten-Characters-of-the-Realms?term=forgotten+characters&test_epoch=0.

Basically, I gave the avarial somewhat better flight to match their incarnations in every earlier edition and proficiency with bola and crossbows.

My shadar-kai are, I think, much closer to the later 3E and 4E versions than the version they put out. I also linked them as a subrace, along with shades, of "shadowborn."

The avarial were fairly straightforward, but I was pretty happy with some the linkages that came to mind between the shades and shadar-kai that worked well with Realmslore IMO.
Delwa Posted - 16 Nov 2017 : 02:13:57
I wonder if it'd be more appropriate, what with 5e's Race/Subrace setup, to call the Elven "Race" Fey, and the sub race Elf (High/Wood/Drow/Eladrin/Shadar-Kai?) I recall the 5e DMG putting the Eladrin down as a subrace of Elf, as well, but in 4e, as I understand, Eladrin were Elves.
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Nov 2017 : 14:15:50
They were fey beings in 3e, according to some Realms material. I discovered about that when I was helping edit the shadar-kai article in the wiki. I guess they just reflavored them as elves to simplify, and tied them to the Raven Queen to go with the more common lore about them being related to her, while reconciling both concepts.

sleyvas Posted - 15 Nov 2017 : 13:37:04
when did shadar-kai become elves?
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Nov 2017 : 06:39:12
IIRC, Deep Shalelas is one of the exarchs of Corellon and one the Sealords of the Feywild in 4e (can locate the sources if you want them)
moonbeast Posted - 15 Nov 2017 : 05:40:16
Ah, I've not heard anyone mention Deep Sashelas since classic era AD&D (Deities and Demigods)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000