Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is There Faerunian Chocolate?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
unseenmage Posted - 02 Nov 2017 : 06:57:29
And if so where does it reside?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jan 2018 : 18:04:19
Which race makes the Cadbury Cream Eggs?
unseenmage Posted - 12 Jan 2018 : 16:51:00
Cheap. Humans make cheap chocolate.

Have been snacking on discount bargain bin xmas "chocolate" for a while now and I can tell you that is human made chocolate.

Besides, it's those fey chocolates you've really got to look out for.
Ayrik Posted - 12 Jan 2018 : 16:38:31
The only hard question is then whether you prefer fluffy-truffly booze-filled supersweet soft halfling chocolates, spiced butterscotchy salty-licorice gnomish chocolates, ingots of unbreakable (and unchewable) bland-but-bitter dwarven chocolate concrete, or euphoric (perhaps addictive) sublime fruit-nutty elven chocolate delicacies. Or, of course, whatever chocolates the humans make. Or even the unpalatable (and rather suspicious) sticky brown stuff made by orcs.

Imagine Toblerone bars available not just in "Jumbo" but also "Jotun" sizes!
unseenmage Posted - 12 Jan 2018 : 05:58:53
This thread swerved left in the best possible way. My campaign worlds now all officially have chocolate in some form or another. Thanks to everyone for helping me wrap my head around how chocolate fits in the gameworld. It truly is appreciated.

Now I've just got to find a way to incorporate it into some Construct build or another... Choco Golem is too obvious... Perhaps some sort of clockwork chocolatier? Yeah, I like that one. Definitely working up a Clockwork Chocolatier NPC.
Seethyr Posted - 12 Dec 2017 : 01:03:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have some red-hot chocolate my son bought from a gourmet shop. Almost a year later, we still have some left... and it was a small bar.

I keep meaning to throw whats left in my next batch of Chili. I use dark chocolate anyway, so it would be perfect.

Seethyr - what part of NY you from? I'm from Long Island.

WestChester - lol I worked at the Boardy Barn for 18 years.
Markustay Posted - 12 Dec 2017 : 00:02:28
I have some red-hot chocolate my son bought from a gourmet shop. Almost a year later, we still have some left... and it was a small bar.

I keep meaning to throw whats left in my next batch of Chili. I use dark chocolate anyway, so it would be perfect.

Seethyr - what part of NY you from? I'm from Long Island.
Seethyr Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 23:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I just made this for our first snow here in the NY area and it is beyond delicious. The recipe is super easy and it is soooooo Maztica!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216166/xocolatl-aztec-chocolate/

I see the pepper... how spicy is it? I won't have a problem with the spice, but my girlfriend and her daughter might. They have a problem with spicy popeye's chicken that I don't even notice.

It was spicy and it hurt the next day (sorry tmi). There are some suggestions in the comments for toning it down a bit but I have yet to try them.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 22:39:58
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I just made this for our first snow here in the NY area and it is beyond delicious. The recipe is super easy and it is soooooo Maztica!

I see the pepper... how spicy is it? I won't have a problem with the spice, but my girlfriend and her daughter might. They have a problem with spicy popeye's chicken that I don't even notice.
Seethyr Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 21:26:23

Arivia Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 17:45:17
In my 4e Neverwinter game, I had the dragonborn merchant group from Returned Abeir being quite fond of hot, bitter Mexican-style hot chocolate, served with hot peppers for flavour. They had a cafe they used for business and many intrigues.
moonbeast Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 23:54:43

You had me at gerbals.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 21:45:23
quote:

So, ummm... spray-tanned halfling factory workers, A gnomish (SJ) sidewheeler in a river of chocolate, and a 'carrionette theater' (and newly added hospital & burn center).

NO. Those Oompa-Loompas were freaky. I'd go with the Deep Roy-style Oompa-Loompas.

Not sure where to find those in the Realms, though... D'hin'ni, mayhaps?

quote:

Their latest invention - 'Imaskar Balls', otherwise know as the Everlasting Godstopper.

Nicely done!
Ayrik Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 19:45:04
Somehow I get the feeling that if you want a Golden Ticket then you've gotta go through Mirt.
Markustay Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 17:38:08
So, ummm... spray-tanned halfling factory workers, A gnomish (SJ) sidewheeler in a river of chocolate, and a 'carrionette theater' (and newly added hospital & burn center).

Their latest invention - 'Imaskar Balls', otherwise know as the Everlasting Godstopper.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 09:28:28
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, that escalated quickly.

Well, Wooly Wonka's Chocolate Factory would be rather easy to fit into the Realms (assuming the existence of chocolate). Filled with gnomish machinery, singing (or ritualistically chanting?) Brownie-loompas, extraplanar rivers of flowing delights, everlasting candy treats, illusions and magics galore, etc. And, unlike our world, the Realms could also offer opportunities in confectionary markets related to construction (all those witches who live in candy houses).

Much more fitting, I think, than shoehorning more unoriginal adaptations of Alice in Wonderland or The Tempest.
unseenmage Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 04:57:37
quote:

Forget that, I now want to know if there is peanut butter in the Realms!

According to thishttp://www.emulsifiers.org/ViewDocument.asp?ItemId=9 the earliest emulsifier was beeswax so one imagines peanut butter to be possible.

Wikipedia also tells me that peanut paste might have been used as a toothache remedy by the Aztecs.

To my mind it wouldn't be too far a stretch for some hungry alchemist mixing imported foods along the Sword Coast to finely blend the two and eat/sell the results.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 03:18:27
Well, that escalated quickly.
Markustay Posted - 10 Nov 2017 : 02:16:03
I'm sorry, but this has to become canon in my Realms (except I'm going to call him 'Wooly W@nker', master chocolatier).

He also happens to be an extremely rare werehamster.

I know there 's a terrible joke in there somewhere, regarding gerbals... and chocolate...

EDIT:
And now I have this picture in my head of The Simbul as Veruca Salt, singing, "I want it now!"
moonbeast Posted - 09 Nov 2017 : 00:45:18
I've got a Golden Ticket! I've got a Golden Ticket!
Zeromaru X Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 23:34:56
He operates out of Waterdeep, but have branches in many other places
Ayrik Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 22:31:25
quote:

And due to some proprietary food preparation magics, Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups are free of that flaw that plagues their more well-known competitor: Ours don't leave a little bit of chocolate in the center of the cup!
Great. Wooly Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
Markustay Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 19:05:47
Considering the ability of some folks to travel to other worlds, I think their knowledge of things like chemistry, biology, etc would be FAR greater than that of RW late-medieval sages. I can easily see a Planeshopping Mage who is also a bit of a connoisseur bringing back all sorts of odd delicacies from 'strange worlds' (and Earth's pretty damn strange - have you ever seen molecular gastronomy?)

I can see the next bash held by Eldathans featuring a 'chocolate fountain'.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 18:55:34
we know they have corn.... have they made corn syrup yet. If so, it might be interesting, from an artistic standpoint... can they make sugar glass. Going to bet the answer is no on both. Just picturing some interesting cakes and such where they might decorate them with a sugar glass sculpture that has had dye added to color it. House emblems, monster sculptures, etc... kind of like how people do ice sculptures, but it won't melt.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 18:26:47
quote:

New item available at Aurora's: Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups!

There's no wrong way to eat one (I ate mine off the back of a dead orc!)

And due to some proprietary food preparation magics, Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups are free of that flaw that plagues their more well-known competitor: Ours don't leave a little bit of chocolate in the center of the cup!
Markustay Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 17:25:38
New item available at Aurora's: Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups!

There's no wrong way to eat one (I ate mine off the back of a dead orc!)
Kentinal Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 16:27:26
Well I found this: https://www.sageadvice.eu/?s=peanuts

quote:
@JcorvinstevensI’m working on an Adventure and I need to know – are peanuts native to the Forgotten Realms? Who better to ask! Yes, but they're known as "groundnuts" or "daramma." Vilhon Reach is one good growing area. — Ed Greenwood (@TheEdVerse) August 2, 2016

So it appears likely. Though not everything found on the internet is true.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 14:13:49
Forget that, I now want to know if there is peanut butter in the Realms!
sleyvas Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 13:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Since the old shires of Luiren were close enough to Zakhara, I'd wager that the Hin would have picked up a fondness for coffee, and may have learned coffee cultivation in their numerous farms and plantations.

And thus the great Coffee Cheeeese trend was started

https://thejolipantry.com/2015/12/10/kaffeost-coffee-cheese/

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/j5qgd3/people-dunk-this-cheese-in-their-morning-coffee

I heard the mix of coffee stimulant and Cheeeese relaxant produced some odd results.

moonbeast Posted - 08 Nov 2017 : 11:09:26
Since the old shires of Luiren were close enough to Zakhara, I'd wager that the Hin would have picked up a fondness for coffee, and may have learned coffee cultivation in their numerous farms and plantations.

Ayrik Posted - 04 Nov 2017 : 22:17:44
Hmm, I'd always thought that - overlooking differences in size - halflings and Belgians are fully interchangeable. Thus the need for halfling chocolates!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000