Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Spawn of the Phoenix Egg

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shades of eternity Posted - 09 Oct 2017 : 15:49:24
I am about half way done, and trying to figure out a few things.

First some history.

one of the first modules I ever played was the Phoenix Egg. I had very much nostalgia for this original project.

I read it much later and realized it was just 4 modules loosely connected with tissue.

After Saurials and Minotaurs, I wanted to try my hand at a full fledged adventure path and since Tales of the Yawning portal just came out, decided to see if looking at an old module would get anywhere.

Then I found a little blip of info in the 1st edition showing Radoc (aka Doc/One) was exiled to the forgotten realms.

so my premise is as follows:

Radoc ended up subverting the local mongrolfolk population and created himself as cult leader. He found the original phoenix egg in toril, and attempted to use the phylactery for lichdom and eventually use this new state to break his exile from toril, to return home a conquering hero and then conquer accordingly.

It kinda failed and Radoc was subsumed, but instead of being annhiliated, he was split into three lesser beings. Known as Lichlings, they are linked in that one sees, all can see. they also use slinks as spies as they have seeded all across the high forest area and maybe beyond.

The Lichlings are also stuck on another plane. The original plane where the phoenix egg was found.

They have been separated from the phoenix egg and want it back to return.

so our rag tag heroes need to find the egg, go to the plane and break his connection and potentially save 2 realms.

I've got one section more or less done and finishing up another section, but want clarification.

1. any official info on Radoc beyond Egg of the phoenix and the 1st edition fr product savage frontier)?

2. any conjecture that you would be interested in pointing me at about the above?

3. How big should an adventure module be? I'm starting to feel I've made something far bigger then I original intended.

4. also if it's bigger then a certain amount, are people okay with releasing in sections?

5. Finally how many winks are acceptable to previous products. I have a few things from both minotaurs and saurials that are more nods then full fledged connective tissue, but wondering where the line is before it gets annoying.

Also looking for to game testers to see if the module runs smoothly and/or get feedback. :)

Based on my writing speed, I don't expect it until the middle of next year, but need inspiration.

ty kindly. :)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shades of eternity Posted - 23 Mar 2019 : 13:42:53
I finished a spiritual sequel to the classic 80's module Egg of the Phoenix and before I go into finalizing it, I'm requesting people for game testing.

I'm also interested in people reading it over for feedback. :)

please let me know by pm or via email at drevrpg@gmail.com.
shades of eternity Posted - 20 Jul 2018 : 23:06:15
yup and as a result, plenty of wiggleroom. :)
The Masked Mage Posted - 20 Jul 2018 : 20:33:55
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Radoc's departure was noted in The North boxed set.

-- George Krashos

Radoc was a planar spellcaster... he made his army and took them to the planes... he may be back though - or vanquished - or a god now - or whatever. No way to know.
shades of eternity Posted - 20 Jul 2018 : 15:22:05
I wanted to give an update.

It took way too long, but Spawn of the Phoenix is fully fleshed out.

I'm just working on the Appendix and doing revisions.

I'd like to run it by people before I put it out.

I'll be ready by September to show people what I have, sans art, for feedback.

I'm just checking if anybody will be available for doing a read and/or gametesting?

Thanks all in advance. :)
shades of eternity Posted - 04 Nov 2017 : 15:52:24
bouncing off words for the fragments of Radoc and seeing what sticks.

familich.
Lich fragment
Lichspawn
Minor Lich
Chibilich. :p

wizardspawn?
shades of eternity Posted - 27 Oct 2017 : 02:15:06
Yeah his experiment happened during the times of troubles and yes, radoc (or what's left of him), isn't in the forgotten realms per say. but much like many things on other planes, his presence is still being felt. ;)

the big thing that kept hitting me like an angry god, is how the original egg of the phoenix was really a robotech of a mix of modules.

Thanks for the head's up for lichling - I'll try to come up with another term. :)

edit: thanks for letting me know about the north box set. I'll adjust accordingly :).
Markustay Posted - 24 Oct 2017 : 05:13:37
I always liked the slinks, but I don't think they'd be a good fit in The North - too many 'heavy hitters' would figure out what they were. Someplace where 'money talks' and people don't mind bending morality for a profit, like Amn or Sembia, would work.

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back that adventure, and overhaul it for 5e, and fix all the plot-holes. It had some neat ideas, but the execution was sloppy as hell (more a 'sign of the times' then anything against the creators). And 30 years later I am still trying to figure out what the 'Egg' is, and what it is capable of. Everyone fighting over 'a powerful artifact', and no-one even knows what it actually is?

Sounds like the 'Black Diamond' all over again. Maybe 'new Empyrea' is in Abeir - that would make lots of stuff - including Radoc's presence in The North - make more sense. And they had an entire city - and 60 square miles surrounding it - 'just disappear'. That's definitely sounds like some Spellplaguey activity to me.
George Krashos Posted - 24 Oct 2017 : 03:01:02
Radoc's departure was noted in The North boxed set.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 24 Oct 2017 : 01:26:02
I could have sworn Radoc is no longer in the Realms. I don't recall what happened, but he found a way to leave. But I got that from discussions HERE and not anything I ever read, so take it with a grain of salt.

The term 'lichlings' is already in-use for an insect-like creature (unfortunately).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000