Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Alustriel had a daughter with another female?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zezia Posted - 14 Oct 2017 : 19:31:14
In the Cult of the Dragon book it states Alustriel possibly had a daughter with a Witch of Rashemen:

"The Sorority of the Silver Fire was founded in the Year of
Bright Nights (985 DR) by the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia
Ledora, said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand, and
Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran."

Is this even possible even for a Chosen?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 05:55:56
Senior Scribe BadCatMan,

Oxford of AP comma? There can only be one!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Uh. Look at the commas and look at full passage:
"The Sorority of the Silver Fire was founded in the Year of Bright Nights (985 DR) by the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia Ledora, said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand, and Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran. In the decade prior to their first meeting, the two incantatrixes independently confronted the enduring legacy of Sammaster's madness in the form of powerful dracoliches which sought to ravage their homelands: Everlund and Rashemen, respectively. Both women felt compelled to track down the source of this blasphemous contamination of the Weave, a trek which led them to Sembia and the secret temples of the Keepers of the Secret Hoard."

It's pretty clear that the Sorority was founded by Fetitia Ledora and Yhelfanna the Masked together.

The statement "said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand" is just a parenthetical statement enclosed by commas. Read it instead as "the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia Ledora (said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand) and Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran."

TBeholder Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 16:46:02
quote:
Originally posted by zezia

In the Cult of the Dragon book it states Alustriel possibly had a daughter with a Witch of Rashemen:
[...]

Why not?
Mystra not only turned Elminster to Elmara, but later gave him a no-somatic-components spell to repeat the trick ("El in Myth Drannor").
Without extra requirements, it's no more complex than a fireball - Zagig's Gender Shift is a 3rd level spell.
Of course, to make a little half-elf, one of them would have to turn into an elf. Which is presumably much harder to do "completely", but higher-level polymorphs allow to transform oneself even into a dragon or fiend, so turning into an elf certainly should be possible.

There's just no obvious reason why she would actually do so. And if she did, could at least take a pseudonym.
quote:

quote:

Yeah, not checking the punctuation is what brought us the Cult of the Dragon in the first place.

(after looking at an article on the names used as verbs) "Sammastered" it?
zezia Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 15:24:56
Your right BadCatMan thx for pointing that out :D
sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 14:25:01
quote:

"The Sorority of the Silver Fire was founded in the Year of Bright Nights (985 DR) by the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia Ledora, said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand, and Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran. In the decade prior to their first meeting, the two incantatrixes independently confronted the enduring legacy of Sammaster's madness in the form of powerful dracoliches which sought to ravage their homelands: Everlund and Rashemen, respectively. Both women felt compelled to track down the source of this blasphemous contamination of the Weave, a trek which led them to Sembia and the secret temples of the Keepers of the Secret Hoard."

It's pretty clear that the Sorority was founded by Fetitia Ledora and Yhelfanna the Masked together.

The statement "said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand" is just a parenthetical statement enclosed by commas. Read it instead as "the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia Ledora (said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand) and Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran."

Awww, that's not as fun.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 08:35:38
Seems pretty straightforward. Alustriel and an elven male had a daughter.

My only comment is that if any gender-changing magic was involved then it would need sufficient duration to last throughout the conception, the "mother's" pregnancy, and perhaps a while longer (6-12 months) to nurse the infant.
I've seen much speculation about elven gestation period, ranging from the same as humans (~40 weeks) to as high as 18-24 months (or more), although 10-10½ months seems to be the most widely accepted figure. And this daughter would be half-elven, and the "mother's" human or elven biology could assert precedence before birth. I can't recall any specific mention of elven pregnancy in D&D or Realms canon.

But wouldn't Realmslore have made better note of Alustriel having a child?
BadCatMan Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 04:01:51
Yeah, not checking the punctuation is what brought us the Cult of the Dragon in the first place.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 03:43:31
BadCatMan is right. Always important to check those commas. As I recall the info on the Sorority was first featured in Eric Boyd's incantatrix 2E article in Polyhedron.

-- George Krashos
BadCatMan Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 03:38:51
I hold out more hope for the Ladies of Elversult.
Markustay Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 03:10:50
Well gee, you're no fun at all.

And my internet search of 'lesbian witches' had turned up such wonderful research material, too.
BadCatMan Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 01:52:03

sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2017 : 00:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

I assume someone made an mistake, and thought Alustriel was a guy?

Absolutely not. This was done on purpose for exactly this reason.
Starshade Posted - 14 Oct 2017 : 21:57:38
I assume someone made an mistake, and thought Alustriel was a guy?
sleyvas Posted - 14 Oct 2017 : 20:34:15
quote:
Originally posted by zezia

"The Sorority of the Silver Fire was founded in the Year of
Bright Nights (985 DR) by the half-elven incantatrix Fetitia
Ledora, said to be the daughter of Alustriel Silverhand, and
Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran."

Interesting find.

It doesn't say that Alustriel was the man, nor does it say Yhelfana isn't a hermaphrodite (which in and of itself would open up some interesting questions). Plus, noone has ever said that polymorph magic makes one sterile with certainty. That being said, it very well could also be something like Cassana and Alias.
Markustay Posted - 14 Oct 2017 : 20:12:20
Never assume a Chosen's gender... which is malleable.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000