Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Impiltur 1385+

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arioch Posted - 06 Jan 2016 : 11:28:44
Hi Scribes!

I've a question regarding the fate of Impiltur AFTER the Blue Fire.

The very few info around (4ED FR setting and 5th Sword Coast's AG) only specify the end of the Heltharn dynasty and the generic decadence of the nation.

Any lore about what happened to the Knights of Imphras II after the death of King Imbrar II?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 06:35:17
Master Zeromaru X,

Did that email ever get through to Exlorer Markustay?

I was going to email him about some other materials and I wasn't sure if yours ever got through.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Markus, is your email account correct? I've tried twice, but the gmail says that the direction is wrong or something.

Markustay Posted - 21 Sep 2017 : 20:52:46
The map I am working on takes into account the LFR one, and is a 'blend', of sorts, even though its 'the past'. There are certain aspects that remain consistent on both maps. When I am done I'd be happy to share the hybrid map I sent to GK, to show any of you how I did what I did. Basically, you should be able to take my map and fit it 'into' the LFR one.
Zeromaru X Posted - 21 Sep 2017 : 20:29:16
We now have New New Sarchel, that is like a fusion of New and Old Sarchels. And, in the next RSE that affects the area, they will built New New New Sarchel
Veritas Posted - 21 Sep 2017 : 19:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Never fear, the Heltharns learned their lessons after the death of a spate of princes prior to the Imbrar II. When the Spellplague hit, Imbrar II was killed and the realm was beset once again by a host of fiends and an attack by their old foes the hobgoblins, the heir at the time - his cousin Delimbrar (once of the Council of Lords) was hustled away by magic, faraway from the kingdom. In hindsight it was a bad call on the part of the Crown, because without a real leader the kingdom disintegrated pretty quickly and there was nothing to come back to for a long 7 or so winters as various power groups within the region pulled together and beat off the invaders, Sarshel at the forefront of the effort. That struggle was a bitter one however, and left the realm a disjointed, angry and disaffected place with the city-states going it alone and loath to lend aid to their neighbours and a huge rift emerging between the "northern faction" lead by Sarshel and the "southern faction" lead by Lyrabar. Subtle enquiries regarding the "return of the king" gained little currency and it was feared (correctly) that Delimbrar returning to the realm would mean a swift death sentence. So he never returned. His grandson Imphras is now the titular king-in-exile (Imphras VI) but whether he will ever make a return to the kingdom is doubtful. He will only do so if he manages to obtain strong backing either externally or internally and neither of those have eventuated to date.

-- George Krashos

I'd just like to add that this little bit of loresmithing changed the entire direction of where I was taking the campaign, and elements here are crucial to the arc my intrepid heroes are blindly flailing their way into. Thanks again, George.

That aside, "New Sarshel" and "Sarshel" looked close enouugh proximally that I'm merely treating them as one city, with the "New" brand coming more from Sarshel's efforts to capitalize on the changing water levels from the Spellplague onwards, and as something of a publciity effort now that old "New Sarshel" is currently making for splendid housing for fish and other scaly things that make their homes beneath the waves.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 19:37:49
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just wondering, this Impiltur line of adventures for LFR... they ever go into the Citadel of Conjurers?

Nope. The place its not even mentioned in 4e sources.
Markustay Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 17:57:58
Which (here I go again, 'patching' 4e/5e lore...) makes the whole thing with the Emerald Enclave becoming 'monolithic' during the 'Lost century' make a whole lot of sense, actually. They went around finding all the other Druid circles everywhere, and organized them all under one banner... which is actually how druids were supposed to work 1e/2e (before 3e changed them into weird shapeshifters). In fact, their magic may have been one of the more stable types, tapping into the Raw 'life energy' (magic) of the world, which means they may even have indirect connection to Ao (who obviously doesn't need the Weave either - he just manipulates the 'Raw Forces' around him). In fact, you could look at the Overgod of a sphere as the representation (manifestation) of the Sphere itself - its 'nature', so to speak.

If we look around (in 5e), we may find wherever the world isn't quite done 'patching itself', there are a group of druids nearby 'shepherding' the local ecology to hasten the healing. I recall someone saying something about Grumbar (and maybe some other elemental lords?) still filling-in some 'holes' at the beginning of 5e, so it must have been a monumental task (since even Ao and the EL's working together haven't completed things yet).

In other words (and I am stealing a line from my old business slogan, sort-of), 'the gods' may be able to build a house, but only the druids can make it a home.
Bladewind Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 17:22:02
Yeah, been saying this for years now: Coastal Druids in the realms are probably fed up with all the running around chasing the ecological catastrophes.
Markustay Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 15:04:34
EDIT:
Man, did this wind up in the wrong thread. I hadn't realized how off-topic we headed; my apologies.

quote:

What I found hilarious about all of that is that the water level drop caused Laothkund and Soorenar to drown...
Whereas I was trying to figure-out ways coastal settlements could have survived (and stayed ports), now I find myself having to spin the lore in the opposite direction... {sigh}

When the Underchasm opened, ENORMOUS amounts of water was moving around. Places as far away as Katashaka would have been affected (ocean currents would have shifted, etc). Areas where 'deep access' was avaialble got hit the worst, because the most amount of water could move through those regions (and gouge-out great swaths of land). Shallower areas were actually 'saved' by this, because the water receded faster then the channel could stay full - this is how I picture the dragonmere being (which was probably 'Dragon Lake' for awhile, until they cut a channel or created a canal in 4e). The Moonsea would have been similarly affected - The Lis would have been increased in overall width, because the silty/muddy bottom (which was always a problem) would have kept caving back in along the sides, which would have made it get wider, rather then deeper. Plus, the Moonsea has gates that lead to the plane of water (I just found that out!), so as fast as the water poured-out, it would have poured back in. There may have been a time when smaller bodies like these became tidal-locked, or their water levels dropped precariously, but things would have leveled-off as water from elsewhere began to shift toward the underchasm (the seas are almost all connected, so water-droppage in one region would only been temporary, as the water from the rest of the world shifted in that direction). In fact, once the Inner Sea connected to the great sea to the south (which it did, for a time, through The Lake of Salt), the Sea of Fallen Stars should have slowed its drainage exponentially. The Alamber Sea would have been the only one to continue to get the crap beat out of it (which is reflected in the 4e geography, and will be in the 5e geography as well - it was just TOO badly damaged there).

And unlike the other big inland seas/lakes (Dragonmere, Moonsea, Brightstar Lake, etc), The Lake of steam had a nice, DEEP channel and the water had no trouble pouring out at an alarming rate, hence its continued (depleted) condition throughout the 'Lost Century'. On my 5e continental map, I put the coast there back (mostly) to how it was, but I left swamp-land where those lands were underwater for a hundred years, so even though it isn't technically 'water' anymore (because Ao fixed stuff}, it still had a lasting affect. Same with the Deepwash/Lake Shalane. Needless to say, the local Scalyfolk are very happy about the situation.

And thats the spin I am using now, which is pretty much what I was saying before, except I switched around which placed were affected the most. As a guy who has spent a good chunk of his life 'finding leaks', you'd be amazed at some of the things I've seen water do. It will ALWAYS find a path, and it will always travel the path of least resistance, even if it has to go WAY out of its way to do so. The problem with places like the southern coast of Faerūn was that they got hit with a ginormous tidal wave (maybe multiple times) after Halruaa 'blew up'. Once the water rushed in, it had its path, and it didn't want to give that up. Sandy areas (like around the Golden Waters) and places with loose topsoil literally got 'washed away', and couldn't come back. Its wasn't just the water levels in those areas, it was the land itself got lowered. Then water just continued to pour across the top of them as it moved about (thanks to the underchasm, and other similar phenomena).

I mean seriously, we had entire sub-continents disappearing (Maztica) and new ones appearing (Laerakond) - I'm pretty sure that would have created some major waves. The underchasm wasn't the only thin affecting water-movement... at first. In reality, more than half the population of the planet should have died, the way the eco-systems should have been thrown into turmoil.

Also, everyone in the Underdark should be an aquatic race now.
sleyvas Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 13:50:07
quote:

I just read the adventure that map came from. Its the last adventure of the LFR Impiltur's series, and its about a goblin/monster invasion to New Sarchel (that's why they give you a map, to help you with the siege). It have three potential endings. You either save the city and kill Morthak, a balor that is mentioned in the 4e Players' Guide; or the city is either destroyed or captured by Morthak and its monsters. The Grand Council survives in all endings. In the bad ones, they just relocate to Lyrabar.

There is no hint of what ending is the canon one, as the SCAG doesn't mention Sarchel nor other Impilturan city.

I also found the rules and oaths of the Impilturan demon hunters in another adventure (an adventure that is more interesting than the one about the siege; in this, you have to work/compete with another demon hunting team from Lyrabar; the NPCs are kinda interesting... better that Lord Pettygrew... yeah, actual NPC name. Is one of the Lords of the Council in the siege adventure). Those seem interesting for paladins and the like.

Just wondering, this Impiltur line of adventures for LFR... they ever go into the Citadel of Conjurers?
sleyvas Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 13:46:17
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hmph. So pretty-much the only countries that were actually affected by the water-level drop (as far as I can tell thus-far) were Turmish and Impiltur. Weird.

What I found hilarious about all of that is that the water level drop caused Laothkund and Soorenar to drown...
Markustay Posted - 18 Sep 2017 : 04:17:28
Yes, as I was working on my continental map this morning (trying to 'fill in' the region you're interested in), I noticed that (using my own, old Impiltur map as a reference... and I realize I got those little villages in the wrong spot LOL). No worries - we'll fix EVERYTHING this time around.

So I spent the morning on that, and I spent a good chunk of the evening finding ship silhouettes that I can trace and scale down (which took a few hours because I LOVE ships). But in the little bit of time I had in the afternoon... I almost completed the Sarshel map.

And thats WITH figuring-in the 5e map, AND adding all sorts of goodies (like small islands in Sarshel Bay... they'll be self-explanatory). And although I'm working in color (its just visually easier for me), I took what I had thus-far and converted it to greyscale, and it looks like it came right out of an old sourcebook.

Of course, they'll still be lots of back-&-forth, and I'll have to add a key and a scale, and all the numbered locales you'll want. But you should have something to look at tomorrow. I was thinking about 'cheating' and saying the newer part of town was laid-out by civil engineers (because straight roads are SO much easier to add buildings to), but since this is a small settlement, I figure I'll save that for somewhere where its really gonna save time.

Oh, and you can overlay the map onto the 4e one and everything works-out, even the harbor area (I just had to assume they built REALLY big buildings during the 'Lost Century', because if you compare those building-sizes to the area they claim was 'Old Sarshel', it just didn't make sense. Not so much 'tall', but rather, each of those buildings should house multiple residences and/or shops. Maybe they had giants helping them (or Firblgs, Ogres, Goliaths, etc).

Which of course you need not worry about George, because you're still back in 3e.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 23:29:12
quote:

Love our ugly baby, dammit!

Anyhow, I just realized something - why didn't they just repurpose the original name of the city - call the old one 'Songhal' again, and the new one 'Sarshel'? (even though I just figure-out we never actually needed a new one). Use a name we already had, rather than all this 'new and 'Old' stuff (especially since there already WAS a 'New Sarshel' across the Easting Reach!)

When I re-do it*, I am just going to have it as one large, sprawling community, with the older section being referred to as 'Songhal' (and given that we now have two 'Dead/New Sarshels', I am just going to call the whole thing - New and old - 'Greater Sarshel', or simply, 'Sarshel', as most of the people who live there would).

EDIT:
Thanks for sending that, Zero.

EDIT2:
Holy crap (sorry mods), is THAT ever going to be easy to fix! I almost think they thought it through!

*Thinking in terms of 5e here, so this may never see the light of day. one of my many, many 'mental exercises' that help me keep track of whats going on everywhere).

I fixed the Songhal/Sarshel snafu in my Impiltur article in Dragon #346. The former is very much a separate settlement a little down the road from Filur. It also houses Tower Torfell, one of the three great military fortresses of Impiltur (not counting Ilmwatch itself).

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 23:09:55
I just read the adventure that map came from. Its the last adventure of the LFR Impiltur's series, and its about a goblin/monster invasion to New Sarchel (that's why they give you a map, to help you with the siege). It have three potential endings. You either save the city and kill Morthak, a balor that is mentioned in the 4e Players' Guide; or the city is either destroyed or captured by Morthak and its monsters. The Grand Council survives in all endings. In the bad ones, they just relocate to Lyrabar.

There is no hint of what ending is the canon one, as the SCAG doesn't mention Sarchel nor other Impilturan city.

I also found the rules and oaths of the Impilturan demon hunters in another adventure (an adventure that is more interesting than the one about the siege; in this, you have to work/compete with another demon hunting team from Lyrabar; the NPCs are kinda interesting... better that Lord Pettygrew... yeah, actual NPC name. Is one of the Lords of the Council in the siege adventure). Those seem interesting for paladins and the like.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 21:00:55
quote:

There is a map of New Sarchel in the LFR adventures. If you want it, I can gladly give it to you. Warning, it will cause you a headache. The two Sarchels are nearly one another.
Now that I've worked it all out mathematically, it actually makes sense that most of the cities would have been little affected (in the long run). In fact, their existing docks could have been extending (with ramps and stairs, as well) to extend out further, and be lower. I'm sure a few new buildings would get built closer to the new waterline (because hauling all that crap up and down those ramps would be a pain... although they have invented the block & tackle...), but the existing structures/town would have no problem staying put. A few hundred feet further away isn't going to make them abandon entire cities.

What DOESN'T make sense are the few it did badly affect. All this time and I thought they would have had to move the settlements for the ports to work, and that wasn't the case at all. The 'waterfront district' would have just extended into the new area, is all. Thus, moving Sarshel (that map Zero sent us) made no sense - they couldn't just walk the few extra feet? My thoughts now are that 'Old Sarshel' would have just become 'Olde Towne' and NOT have been completely abandoned.

Unless some demons ate the original inhabitants... but then why even build there again? I'm very confused.

In case anyone is having trouble picturing what I mean by all this, I couldn't find an official-type elevation map that would demonstrate what I want, but I did find a RW real estate map that will work PERFECTLY. If you hit the link, look at the house on the left - lets say thats a house in (Old) Sarshel, near the water. The original waterline would have come up to the right-hand edge of those trees just to the right of that house (if you can make it out, there is even an arrow pointing to an old elevation line that says "Niveau Actuel"; thats where our water would have been pre-Spellplague). Then, post-Sundering(2.0), the water would be precisely where you see it there on the far right. That right-hand structure should be almost 40' tall by itself, top to bottom, and the roof still falls out below the bottom of the left-hand house! (and I know this, because I opened the pic in GIMP to make sure). And the bottom of the basement level is still around 30' above the sea level there.

So after a decade of bellyaching about how 'stupid the ports are' post-Spellplague, it turns out, the effect should not have been all that great. I was wrrrr.... wrrrr... I can't say it.

Lets go with 'inaccurate'.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 18:25:57
Love our ugly baby, dammit!

Anyhow, I just realized something - why didn't they just repurpose the original name of the city - call the old one 'Songhal' again, and the new one 'Sarshel'? (even though I just figure-out we never actually needed a new one). Use a name we already had, rather than all this 'new and 'Old' stuff (especially since there already WAS a 'New Sarshel' across the Easting Reach!)

When I re-do it*, I am just going to have it as one large, sprawling community, with the older section being referred to as 'Songhal' (and given that we now have two 'Dead/New Sarshels', I am just going to call the whole thing - New and old - 'Greater Sarshel', or simply, 'Sarshel', as most of the people who live there would).

EDIT:
Thanks for sending that, Zero.

EDIT2:
Holy crap (sorry mods), is THAT ever going to be easy to fix! I almost think they thought it through!

*Thinking in terms of 5e here, so this may never see the light of day. one of my many, many 'mental exercises' that help me keep track of whats going on everywhere).
Gary Dallison Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 17:37:42
Why did we have to get lumbered with the ugly baby, this is what old grognards are for, to prevent serious miscarriages of logic, reason, and sanity.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 17:29:45
I just did a few quick calculations (its a damn shame designers don't have the internet... or a calculator...). The water level dropped by 50', right? that means for New Sarshel to make sense, the slope of the 'beach' there would have had to have been 1' of drop per 105.6'. In construction, we have 'pitches' of roofs rated from '1' to '12'; the first number being how far the roof drops per foot (12"). A LEGAL wheelchair also requires a pitch no steeper than 1" per 1' (called a 'One Pitch' in roofing, which is negligible and considered flat - in fact, anything under a '5' is considered a 'flat roof' for materials purposes). When I walk around on a roof with a '1 pitch' it feels flat to my body (no stress on the ankles, etc). The pitch the LFR guys are proposing there is slightly over 20 times that.

Or rather, 20 times 'less steep' then what your body would recognize as 'flat ground'. This means Old Sarshel would NOT have been able to EVER have had a harbor. I know, I know... I seem to have learned some sort of ancient, secret magic called 'MATH'.

Fun fact - at a 'gentle slope' (a mere '3 pitch', or a drop of three inches per foot, which is what I am guesstimating going by beaches I am familiar with), a drop in water of 50' would require only 200' or less being built from the original location. In fact, now that I am finally 'doing the math' over a decade later, in most cases, all they would have had to do is extend the docks.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

t is my opinion, based on what I've seen and what I've heard from certain folks who will remain unnamed, that there was very little thought applied to the actual consequences of the Spellplague. It was more of a "we'll make changes by doing this, and not even think of anything beyond our changes!"
Very similar to what happens when you have unprotected sex.

Could get sick and die, could get a very ugly baby.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 17:28:17
I can fix that, no worries. I plan to do lots and lots of 'map magic' to get stuff to work-out, lore wise (and save quite a bit as well).

Which is why I reposted that bit above from the other thread. Cliffs are going to come in pretty damn handy along the northern Sea of Fallen Stars.

quote:

Thanks Zeromaru. Well that goes down as one of the least inspired map changes I've ever seen. The Spellplague made them shift one mile south. Given that the oceans receded, Old Sarshel should have been west of their new location, not south. Do people actually ever think about these things ...?!
NO

And I guess thats a good thing, because I'd be out of a (non-paying) job.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 17:23:14
Pasted from the other thread...
You're probably not going to like this (I have a feeling you're more adverse to 'change' than I am), but what if Impiltur loses Lyrabar? If its not the capital anymore, why not run with that (because although I am happy the geography is 'restored', I find the whole "everything is as it was" thing patently ridiculous!)

I know your first reaction is going to be "no friggin way" (do they say 'friggin' in Oz?), but hear me out - I never liked Lyrabar. Its not a personal thing - I just found it weird that the only Impiltur city OUTSIDE of Impiltur is the capital. YES, I know its technically within Impiltur, but geographically, it makes little sense - there is a 'pinch point' there with the mountains and coast that separates The Vast from Impiltur, and Lyrabar is on the far side of that. In your new 'North vs South' Impiltur, why not cut it free (this has happened elsewhere in the Realms now)? Maybe its just become 'more trouble than its worth' (since the Spellplague, and the capital no longer being there, its population has fallen off, and maybe its even become a haven for pirates and other illicit activities).

THEN (6e?), you can have a 'return of the king' scenario somewhere down the line, where he (or she) wants to restore the former capital, which most parties would be dead-set against. In fact, you could even have an heir living in the city already, under an alias.

And at the end of the day, is anyone going to really care if the Vast gains one more 'independent citystate'? At least this one will have an interesting history (YES, I know all about Raven's Bluff), and a certain political intrigue going on that the others are missing (a city of 'factions'). Whereas the rest of a 'restored Impiltur' may look at Lyrabar as a 'thorn in their paw' at this point, a returned monarch may decide to 'embrace the thorn', for better or worse (giving us some very cool RPG possibilities there).

One last thing - if the place has 'fallen', and their economy is now heavily based on illicit activity, the government (a returning King) may have to 'walk on eggs' for awhile, because restoring 'Law & Order' could completely tank the place, financially. That would be a tightrope-walk right there (and now that I am thinking fully about this, I think I just gave Impiltur its own version of Marsember... with a twist).

quote:

Markus, is your email account correct? I've tried twice, but the gmail says that the direction is wrong or something.
UGH - I combined my current one with an old (defunct) one. Apologies...

Markustay2012@Hotmail.com
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 17:12:32
quote:

Thanks Zeromaru. Well that goes down as one of the least inspired map changes I've ever seen. The Spellplague made them shift one mile south. Given that the oceans receded, Old Sarshel should have been west of their new location, not south. Do people actually ever think about these things ...?!

-- George Krashos

It is my opinion, based on what I've seen and what I've heard from certain folks who will remain unnamed, that there was very little thought applied to the actual consequences of the Spellplague. It was more of a "we'll make changes by doing this, and not even think of anything beyond our changes!"
sleyvas Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 13:49:08
quote:

-- George Krashos

No.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 12:34:53

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 06:05:24
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 05:53:18
Me as well - Markustay2012@Hotmail.com - if you can, Zero. We need to know what things looked like during the 'Lost Century', so I know how to interpret them moving forward. Which reminds me - I meant to post a WIP of the 5e continental map.

You know what I did yesterday? I made a map of Verbobonc... because I wanted a map similar to Verbobonc! (so first I had to re-do the official one, and then found a couple of newer ones - GH has some of the same problems we do, to a lesser extent - stuff changed after the GH Wars).

Anyhow, settlements are a nice change of pace for me.
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 03:22:37
quote:

Zeromaru would you be able to send it to me please at krashos@optusnet.com.au

That would be awesome and much appreciated.

-- George Krashos

Done
George Krashos Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 03:14:20
quote:

I guess this problem will also affect the new district of Lyrabar, as well.

There is a map of New Sarchel in the LFR adventures. If you want it, I can gladly give it to you. Warning, it will cause you a headache. The two Sarchels are nearly one another.

Zeromaru would you be able to send it to me please at krashos@optusnet.com.au

That would be awesome and much appreciated.

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 03:05:53
quote:

HOWEVER - the water levels are back to NORMAL, according to everything in the novels, the SCAG, and just about everything else. This means that in 5e, New Sarshel is now an underwater ruin (and they really should stop naming things 'New Sarshel', because they ALWAYS become a ruin LOL). The only way to save it is to say it was built on a fairly high piece of ground (what would have been a reef prior to 4e, and would now be a reef again), and they've either managed to use magic or some clever gnomish engineering to keep things above water, or its got a bit of a 'Venice' thing going on (my vote would be for Venice).

I guess this problem will also affect the new district of Lyrabar, as well.

Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 02:45:00
So good he had to quote himself.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Sep 2017 : 17:31:16
quote:

quote:

Never fear, the Heltharns learned their lessons after the death of a spate of princes prior to the Imbrar II. When the Spellplague hit, Imbrar II was killed and the realm was beset once again by a host of fiends and an attack by their old foes the hobgoblins, the heir at the time - his cousin Delimbrar (once of the Council of Lords) was hustled away by magic, faraway from the kingdom. In hindsight it was a bad call on the part of the Crown, because without a real leader the kingdom disintegrated pretty quickly and there was nothing to come back to for a long 7 or so winters as various power groups within the region pulled together and beat off the invaders, Sarshel at the forefront of the effort. That struggle was a bitter one however, and left the realm a disjointed, angry and disaffected place with the city-states going it alone and loath to lend aid to their neighbours and a huge rift emerging between the "northern faction" lead by Sarshel and the "southern faction" lead by Lyrabar. Subtle enquiries regarding the "return of the king" gained little currency and it was feared (correctly) that Delimbrar returning to the realm would mean a swift death sentence. So he never returned. His grandson Imphras is now the titular king-in-exile (Imphras VI) but whether he will ever make a return to the kingdom is doubtful. He will only do so if he manages to obtain strong backing either externally or internally and neither of those have eventuated to date.

-- George Krashos

Ummmm.... and the Brotherhood of the Griffin was JUST hired (like right after I read this) aaaaannnnnnndddddd they're rushing to re-institute him on his throne. Its said that Aoth Fezim of the brotherhood even commands a faction of Halruaan mages.

It is also said that Delimbrar has made contact with the mercenaries of the Company of the Old Gray Wolves from the barony of Polten in the country of Damara. The majority of the members of this company are a group of siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and blood by marriage who can all trace their lineage back to the famed paladin of Torm, Agarelth of the Twilight Riders, over a century ago, who some say was Haelimbrar, one of the Lords of Imphras II. Many of the other members of this company can also trace their lineage back to the Twilight Riders, including Myrddin Viligoth, Justin M'Dael and his wife Tamarin Moonwisher. Its said that all members of this company possess a curious figurine carved of bloodstone which is capable of reproducing the famed sunhorse spell once a week, but only for one of the blood of the original twilight riders and reputedly requiring a small blood sacrifice to create the effect.

It is also rumored that the heir of Donlevy the Younger, baron of Polten after the Bloodstone Wars, did send a pair of twins, a son and daughter, to the village of Tellerth to be raised in secret by Agarelth (aka Haelimbrar) during the wailing years. It is whispered that this son married a daughter of Haelimbrar's bloodline and that the daughter married a grandson of Myrrdin Viligoth. Furthermore, it is whispered that if Delimbrar returns to power in Impiltur that the Barony of Polten may break away from the kingdom of Damara and swear allegiance to Impiltur.

That Haelimbrar did aid in the escape of Delimbrar, despite himself being in his dotage, is well known. What is not well known is that Delimbrar then released his guardian to return to the secret family that he had left behind in Damara. During this time, Haelimbrar (as Agarelth) did return to his old friend, Myrrdin Viligoth, a former red wizard apprentice who fled the cruelty of Thay to become a spellsword paladin of Ilmater amongst the heroes known as the Twilight Riders. Myrrdin, known for his use of simulacrums to form circles, and clones to keep himself young, helped "Agarelth" regain his youth through use of a clone spell, and its said that these two are still the leaders of the Company of the Old Gray Wolves. Its also said the Delimbrar's apparent youth is due to similar involvement with Myrrdin Viligoth, though such may simply be rumors and the truth of the matter may involve potions of longevity as is said. What is without doubt is that Delimbrar's family has grown over the last century, including many great-grandsons whose minds are filled with stories of returning home and restoring Impiltur's glory.

Finally, there are even rumors that a ragtag group of Yuir half elves of both green and star elven parentage are returning to the Tsurlar Forest, also known as the Grey Forest. Its said that they all received a strange dream vision from Relkath the Many-Branched that they were to aid in the performance of a ritual under the leadership of a young druidess of the leaflord and her twin brother, a ranger-mage. It is said that the two had been born of a brief love affair between Delimbrar and a star elf noble who was later killed by assassins intent on killing the heir of Impiltur, and that they were raised in the Yuir city of Relkath's Foot by their aunt for their own protection. What this ritual will do is little known, though many speculate as to the nature of old stories revolving around the weirwood trees and the moon elves that once occupied this forest. These elves, it is said, have begun to capture dozens, if not hundreds, of the hobgoblins in the surrounding wood, and while many think this is simply securing their homeland.... others whisper of a dark requirement of the rite that they intend to perform.

Of course..... all the above is only RUMOR.... Oh, and George, if you like ANY of the above and want to use it, my ideas are freely given. As is my history of Myrrdin Viligoth as a wizard/paladin of Ilmater.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=155918&TOPIC_ID=7576&FORUM_ID=19

sleyvas Posted - 16 Sep 2017 : 16:55:00
quote:

-- George Krashos

Ummmm.... and the Brotherhood of the Griffin was JUST hired (like right after I read this) aaaaannnnnnndddddd they're rushing to re-institute him on his throne. Its said that Aoth Fezim of the brotherhood even commands a faction of Halruaan mages.

It is also said that Delimbrar has made contact with the mercenaries of the Company of the Old Gray Wolves from the barony of Polten in the country of Damara. The majority of the members of this company are a group of siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and blood by marriage who can all trace their lineage back to the famed paladin of Torm, Agarelth of the Twilight Riders, over a century ago, who some say was Haelimbrar, one of the Lords of Imphras II. Many of the other members of this company can also trace their lineage back to the Twilight Riders, including Myrddin Viligoth, Justin M'Dael and his wife Tamarin Moonwisher. Its said that all members of this company possess a curious figurine carved of bloodstone which is capable of reproducing the famed sunhorse spell once a week, but only for one of the blood of the original twilight riders and reputedly requiring a small blood sacrifice to create the effect.

That Haelimbrar did aid in the escape of Delimbrar, despite himself being in his dotage, is well known. What is not well known is that Delimbrar then released his guardian to return to the secret family that he had left behind in Damara. During this time, Haelimbrar (as Agarelth) did return to his old friend, Myrrdin Viligoth, a former red wizard apprentice who fled the cruelty of Thay to become a spellsword paladin of Ilmater amongst the heroes known as the Twilight Riders. Myrrdin, known for his use of simulacrums to form circles, and clones to keep himself young, helped "Agarelth" regain his youth through use of a clone spell, and its said that these two are still the leaders of the Company of the Old Gray Wolves. Its also said the Delimbrar's apparent youth is due to similar involvement with Myrrdin Viligoth, though such may simply be rumors and the truth of the matter may involve potions of longevity as is said. What is without doubt is that Delimbrar's family has grown over the last century, including many great-grandsons whose minds are filled with stories of returning home and restoring Impiltur's glory.

Finally, there are even rumors that a ragtag group of Yuir half elves of both green and star elven parentage are returning to the Tsurlar Forest, also known as the Grey Forest. Its said that they all received a strange dream vision from Relkath the Many-Branched that they were to aid in the performance of a ritual under the leadership of a young druidess of the leaflord and her twin brother, a ranger-mage. It is said that the two had been born of a brief love affair between Delimbrar and a star elf princess who was later killed by assassins intent on killing the heir of Impiltur, and that they were raised in the Yuir city of Relkath's Foot by their aunt for their own protection. What this ritual will do is little known, though many speculate as to the nature of old stories revolving around the weirwood trees and the moon elves that once occupied this forest. These elves, it is said, have begun to capture dozens, if not hundreds, of the hobgoblins in the surrounding wood, and while many think this is simply securing their homeland.... others whisper of a dark requirement of the rite that they intend to perform.

Of course..... all the above is only RUMOR.... Oh, and George, if you like ANY of the above and want to use it, my ideas are freely given. As is my history of Myrrdin Viligoth as a wizard/paladin of Ilmater.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=155918&TOPIC_ID=7576&FORUM_ID=19

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000