Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Confusing spells in Faiths and Avatars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
muir Posted - 16 Sep 2017 : 22:20:46
In rambling through the wonderful Faiths and Avatars I find some of the faith-specific spells mystifying, at least regarding who grants what to their followers.

The ones that leapt out for for Eldath and Silvanus.
Some of the Eldathyn spells seem curious, but intriguing (Mold touch, for instance.) But, Wheel of Bones?

Likewise, Death Chariot seems a very un-Silvanan spell.

Are there interpretations of these deities I am missing which justify the granting of such spells?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 06:44:25
Seeker muir,

I tell you what: that spell Mold Touch has some serious possibilities for necromancers who have created undead. You could create a nexus of extreme cold I would gather by getting enough of this cast on some skeletons. The spell description doesn't say what the duration is, just that it is limited. Imagine sending in 1000 skeletons who are creating so much absolute cold, nothing can get near them.

I think would be amazing!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by muir

In rambling through the wonderful Faiths and Avatars I find some of the faith-specific spells mystifying, at least regarding who grants what to their followers.

The ones that leapt out for for Eldath and Silvanus.
Some of the Eldathyn spells seem curious, but intriguing (Mold touch, for instance.) But, Wheel of Bones?

Likewise, Death Chariot seems a very un-Silvanan spell.

Are there interpretations of these deities I am missing which justify the granting of such spells?

AJA Posted - 19 Sep 2017 : 23:05:48
Sooo...

Probably of interest to no one other than me, but the secondary source I was thinking of for the Wheel of Bones spell wasn't Prayers From the Faithful, but the Elminster's Everwinking Eye article in Polyhedron #107 (technically, its the primary source, dated May1995 as opposed to F&A's March1996). While dishing on the Eldathyn of Peldrathan's Pool in Turmish, Elminster relays; "One spell employed by the ever-watchful "treeshadows"....is the third-level Wheel of Bones spell, now gaining popularity among other faiths of Faerun," and the spell receives a full write-up.

Your useless Realms trivia for the day!
Ayrik Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 07:33:10
I imagine that (beyond 7th-level) "Quest" spells are granted maybe once in each priest's career or a few times each generation. They are spells of the grandest scope and magnitude, casting them can impose drastic and lasting changes on the world (and probably also on the Faith itself). I'd guess that each such spell would be "unique", designed and assigned (by the "deity", lol) to address some very specific crisis. I interpret the ones written in the rulebooks as being "examples" or "references" to use as new spell templates more than as an actual list of available spells to select from.
muir Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 05:41:48
Thank you!

That sort of information is exactly what I was hoping for.
AJA Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 02:01:26
The "writer" of Wheel of Bones was Ed Greenwood. It also appeared in the Prayers From the Faithful supplement. (EDIT: No it doesn't. Not as smart as I think I am!)

I knew this question had come up before. I'm actually amazed I was able to find it as quick as I did (it was a loong time ago):

quote:
Originally posted by The REALMS-L List, 07/06/1999

Forwarded for Eric...

------- Forwarded Message Follows ------- I checked in with Ed to inquire about the original motivation of the "Wheel of Bones" spell and learned an interesting tidbit of lore.

Without further ado: === Eldath was originally seen as having the portfolio of defending and guarding 'sacred, unspoiled places,' and the best 'style' for her clergy to use combat spells to do so was by utilizing remains/relics left behind by those who despoiled such places, or died violently while engaged in destruction (e.g. orcs while part of a horde), and so on. That was where the spell came from...but yes, it doesn't fit the way Edlath is now seen.

:) === For those who have problems employing Eldath as described in F&A, adding this "aspect" to her exiting portfolios might add some spice to this unique faith.

Kentinal Posted - 17 Sep 2017 : 00:55:38
Deities work in mysterious ways. I would need to do a detailed study to be sure, however I suspect that it sounder right at the time to the writer.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000