Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need ideas on where to take party?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Doomskull Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 04:57:42
I'm currently running a 5E game and we are close to finishing Curse of Strahd. I planned on bringing the party out of the mists deep in the Ardeep Forest. Where could I take them from here?

I ask this because I am trying to run it in a more "free roam" style for the players but have little knowledge of the lore of the area.

Where might I find information on that area and are there any interesting places around there?

I have a large over-arching campaign plot that they will kick off when out of Barovia but I want them to feel free in regards to where they want to go and plan on linking the main plot in small bits and pieces. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Doomskull Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 08:40:53
Yes, I think I will do that. I was planning on having both plotlines wrap around each other with it culminating in a trip to Undermountain in the end. Sounds like a plan!
RDS Posted - 25 Aug 2017 : 17:38:35
You could dovetail your two group activities. One group can deal with fallout from the other groups activities and vice versa.
Doomskull Posted - 22 Aug 2017 : 05:11:31
Awesome sources! Formed all kinds of ideas for the party, but here's another one for ya; Scornubel.
I run an online game also and currently they are in Scornubel and going to be going into the Crypt of the Wondermakers. I had to make up a good bit of it since I couldn't find much info on Scornubel. I plan on having them unwittingly release the nishruu. Are there any good sources for the Scornubel area?
Bladewind Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 16:58:13
For more on the secretive and vindictive Eldreth Veluuthra, check out Champions of Ruin. The Veluuthra are some of the most scary opponents a realms DM has to offer.
Doomskull Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 16:28:25
Thanks! I'll give those a look.
Bladewind Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 14:29:27
Yeah, the 3e tomes City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Lost Empires of Faerun and FRCS hold more info, as does dragon 270 (New Adventures of Volo: the Ardeep).
Doomskull Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 14:20:20
Thanks for the info friend. That gives me some good ideas!

Is the wiki the best comprehensive source for information or is there another, better source I should look for? Other than Candlekeep of course.
Bladewind Posted - 21 Aug 2017 : 12:08:05
These woods are also known by Waterdhavians as the Faraway Forest (see the Wiki), and was known for its damp, loamy soils and thick vegetation in which one can easliy be lost (or hidden). Lots of (faintly glowing) mushrooms, (assassin) vines, shrubbery filled glades and mistcloaked vales.

Lots of hidden elven activity can be found, from returned wood elven settlers from Evermeet, to an active Eldreth Veluuthra cell, to a secretive cult of Eilistraee (whom the Veluuthra hunt). It used to have an elven kingdom of Ardeep, complete with royal entourage and white castle (House of Long Silences), before it changed into the demihuman alliance of Phalorn. After Phalorns major setbacks due to orc invasions it was abandoned around the early half of the 14th century. A century later elves are trying to reclaim what was lost.

It has abandoned human structures too, with the Hunting Lodges of the Waterdhavian noble houses being the most sought after. The wood elves in the Ardeep are a too great of a deterrent to the nobles to claim their ancestral lodges now though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000