Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Omu, the Lost City

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aseir the Stern Posted - 16 Jul 2017 : 12:23:42
A ruins of a past city called Omu seems to be the centerpiece of the latest storyline, so I though I would compile all that is known of Omu and nearby things.

• Called the Lost City.

• There are nine trickster gods within the Tomb.

• Implied that these gods are dead.

• One of the gods, Papazotl, his bones are said to be literally in a coffin.

• Known gods are:

• Moa, who takes the shape of a coatl.

• Wongo, who takes the shape of a monkey.

• Papzotl, who takes the shape of an ibis.

• The Tomb of the Nine Gods is implied to be within (or under) Omu.

• Kir Sabal is a settlement for aarakocra in Chult.

• Asharra is a wizard that lives there. She is looking over the safety of the Omu royal family.

• Means at least one person from Omu is alive and being hunted?

• Acererak is funnelling the energy of the Positive Energy Plane for Toril into Chult.

• He is using a device called the Soulmonger to achieve this.

• The Soulmonger is in the heart of Omu.

• Acererak had history using the Negative Energy Plane.

• Ras Nsi is the custodian of Omu and is defending Acererak's plan (whatever that is?)

• Is somehow turned into a yuan-ti.

• Rituals of transformations are known to turn humans into yuan-ti (did Nsi take this ritual?)

• Perhaps intervention from the yuan-ti east of Chult in Thindol.

• Mezro was not destroyed but presumably is an illusion.

• Unlike other areas like Lantan or Luiren, Mezro's survival is meant to be a secret (hence why is was described as destroyed in SCAG)

• Does Ras Nsi know (or even responsible?)

• Artus Cimber knows of Mezro's true fate and will be in Chult, chased by frost giants from Bryn Shandar (following their failed siege in SKT).

• The Cult of the Dragon will be active presumably working with a dracolich in Chult.

• The only dragon mentioned in Chult that I can find is Mergandevinasander. (perhaps enticing him towards lichdom?)

• This is meant to give an "explanation" for the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

• A Halruaan airship will be crashed in the jungle.

• Thay and the Red Wizards have a stronghold somewhere in Chult.

The part I'm most interested in is Ras Nsi. Why did he become a yuan-ti and seemingly working with Acererak. He always came across to me as someone who was jingoistic, so I'm interested to see what they do with him.

And as final favor, please keep scroll directly tied speculation about the subject matter. If you have opinions and feelings towards the storyline and product; there is a post for that here

Sources:
Dragon+ Issue 14: Story
Dragon+ Issue 14: Behind the Scenes
Chris Perkins Brainstorming
Spoilers from Origins
Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms: Introducing Asharra (I can't link to it; looking for how to)
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2017 : 03:55:54
"It's a dead man's party, who could ask for more?"
Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2017 : 02:56:42
He's like the 'red-headed step-child' of liches.

Even Iouluam gets invited to more (lich) parties than he does.
Gyor Posted - 21 Jul 2017 : 01:27:07
How do you know Tan Chin isn't in Chult now?
Markustay Posted - 20 Jul 2017 : 19:17:41
More like, when Vecna got home from his 'holiday' in the Domains of Dread, he started the Interdimensional Brotherhood of (god-like) cross-time Liches. I believe he got the idea from a comic book.

And once again, Tan Chin is feeling left out. I think they even invited Shoon VII this year.
Brimstone Posted - 19 Jul 2017 : 14:48:20
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Aseir the Stern

Some new info and confirmations I have gathered.

• The Halruaan airship that crashed is called 'Star Goddess' after the nation's worship of Mystra.

• The storyline will not focus on Halruaa, but more mentioned in passing/hinting at the nation.

• Valindra Shadowmantle will have a somewhat decisive role in the campaign.

• There seems to be a strong focus and liches, even barring Acererak. The short story sourced above mentions the harpers gathering information from Szass Tam.

• The Adventurer's League tweeted an ominous picture of Larloch as well.

• While the Tomb of Annihilation is 1-11th level, the Adventurer's League (RPGA) content will be from 1-20th level! Set in Chult, in areas not focused in the main hardcover.

What is Chult having a Multiversal convention of the Liches?

LICHCON 2017
Gyor Posted - 18 Jul 2017 : 21:43:09
quote:

• The Halruaan airship that crashed is called 'Star Goddess' after the nation's worship of Mystra.

• The storyline will not focus on Halruaa, but more mentioned in passing/hinting at the nation.

• There seems to be a strong focus and liches, even barring Acererak. The short story sourced above mentions the harpers gathering information from Szass Tam.

• While the Tomb of Annihilation is 1-11th level, the Adventurer's League (RPGA) content will be from 1-20th level! Set in Chult, in areas not focused in the main hardcover.

What is Chult having a Multiversal convention of the Liches?
Aseir the Stern Posted - 18 Jul 2017 : 14:00:00

sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 19:08:08
Hmmm, and one of your links states they'll be producing a tortle race, which is something I actually was looking for. If they plan on using them in Chult, I may or may not use them in Katashaka. Lord knows I've got enough going on already.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 18:06:24
Wow, and in a case of very similar development. I'm looking at the Chris Perkins brainstorming board. We have a lot of similar ideas.

For instance, I see something called Crashed ship - Halruaan airship. I'm actually having a portion deeper into my jungles of Katashaka where I have not Halruaan, but Kara-Turan refugees. They were having a spelljammer fight in orbit whenever the spellplague happened, with Shou Dragonships fighting against a Wa Tsunami (giant centipede looking spelljammer) and its locusts (small single piloted aircraft). So, they start falling when magic started failing, and they fell over Katashaka. These giant dragonships and giant centipede ships attracted the attention of a nyamma-numo that flies (a giant Kaiju... thinking something like a giant "Rodan" pterodactyl) and the ships crash in the jungles just outside the nyamma-numo territory.

So, these two Kara-tur cultures that hate one another have to join forces to survive. They also number some Meanwhile, nearby are a couple other jungle cultures that are a problem. Not to get too deep, but the main one is a group of hags (mostly green skinned ones) who rule over a bunch of apes ( flying monkeys & flying apes, girallons, dire apes, brown furred versions of Uthraki, spell-bound bar-lgura demons, and of course half-fiendish crossbreeds of bar-lgura and hags). Some of the Kara-Turans are also Hengeyokai/Katanga (specifically those able change into monkeys and tigers, but considering others) and it was they who also revealed that several members of the Shou were actually disguised Oni. These Oni (aka Ogre Magi) fled and actually took up living with the hags, and have since mated with many hags and produced more Oni over the past hundred years.

I've specifically put this culture on the Midwestern coast of Katashaka, such that these humans have been isolated from the OTHER humans who arrived in Katashaka about thirty years or so after the spellplague (i.e. my red wizards from the Lopango Jungle). The Kara-Turans built a number of small villages in the jungle, as well as a few small cities, and their former enmity is long forgotten. So, basically, the two cultures have only found out about one another say in the last decade despite being on the same continent for about 70 years or so, and they've slowly been building a relationship.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 15:54:36
Also, just to note, it looks more and more like Chult is becoming very similar to my vision of Katashaka what with a lot of animal gods. I may steal some of these god names (though I may change Wongo.... Wamanji maybe.. and have some relationship ... like love interest or enmity... with Nula of Maztica). For instance, I am planning to have a variation of Kenku that are stork-like that I'm calling Ibideans. I was going to give them worship of Thoth (since in my viewpoint he went to Abeir with the other Mulan gods... but having him in Katashaka for millennia), but Papazotl could work as well. In this way, embrace the new (which hopefully won't make me retch), and help it become more palatable.

There are nine trickster gods within the Tomb.

Implied that these gods are dead.

One of the gods, Papazotl, his bones are said to be literally in a coffin.

Known gods are:

Moa, who takes the shape of a coatl.

Wongo, who takes the shape of a monkey.

Papzotl, who takes the shape of an ibis.

The Tomb of the Nine Gods is implied to be within (or under) Omu.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 15:44:43
Interested in this piece. Obviously with my ideas of the United Tharchs of Toril, it would almost seem like this could fit in well with this.
Thay and the Red Wizards have a stronghold somewhere in Chult.
Starshade Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 15:20:43
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?554180-The-New-D-amp-D-Adventure-Is-Tomb-of-Annihilation!/page37
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tomb-annihilation

The Level range given online is 1 - 11, so there is room in the storyline of the adventure to explain the lost gods, Yuan-ti, cult of the dragon, etc. Before I saw it was level 1 to 10, it semed kind of random, but for so much time it seems good.
Misereor Posted - 17 Jul 2017 : 10:00:39
quote:
The part I'm most interested in is Ras Nsi. Why did he become a yuan-ti and seemingly working with Acererak. He always came across to me as someone who was jingoistic, so I'm interested to see what they do with him.

Me too.
I only read about him in the Ring of Winter novel, but there was a lot of room for development, and Chult and environs does have a history of hybrids. Maybe there are lost chapters in the story of Mezro (and Ubtao?) that we are about to learn more about.

Could have done without Acererak though. Personally I always thought that guy was overrated, and besides *some* epic BBEGs need to stay historical. Nowadays it seems that every bad guy who receives passing mention is resurrected at some time or another. It was fascinating when it was doen with Vecna, but overused it just becomes annoying after a while.

Gyor Posted - 16 Jul 2017 : 14:01:00
Thanks.
Aseir the Stern Posted - 16 Jul 2017 : 12:40:32
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Some of this info is new to me, what is your source? Just curious.

Sorry, in my haste I forgot source. Added to the main post.
Gyor Posted - 16 Jul 2017 : 12:30:42
Some of this info is new to me, what is your source? Just curious.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000