Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Suggestions for a new minor organization in Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Qilintha Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 00:25:00
Hello everyone, while waiting for Krashos's new work on Demonshields I would like to hear your thoughts about another idea.

I recently re-read DC's comic book "Green Lantern: Rebirth" and that gave me the inspiration of creating a minor organization similar to the Sinestro Corp, based on Fear.

I surfed around the web and, even though I play 3.5 edition, I find the Doomsayers Warlock from 4ed a good starting point.

I was thinking of mostly an human organization with maybe a non-human leader and maybe more powerful entity behind the shadows.

I'd like your help on:

- Race of the non-human leader? Is there a creature with Fear Based powers?

-Is there any Unique Demon/Devil/Planar Entity/Demigod that holds the Fear portfolio that I can use? So far the only ones I found holding that portfolio are Bane and Skiggaret.

-Finally, is there any Faerunian Lore about a Fear-based event? To give the organization a little history and some hints about their lair?

Thank you in advance for your help.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 14 Jul 2017 : 16:22:45
Order of the Endless Night (detailed in Dungeon #207 - written by Chris Perkins and Craig Campbell and adapted to the Realms by myself)

HISTORY
The warlock Thulzar, once a Netherese arcanist, established the fortress observatory of Starhaunt in the northern part of the Sunset Mountains. This was created as a guard post holding the line against the baleful stars that inhabited the night sky. The order kept a vigilant eye on these menacing start, watching for any sign of their evil influence and preparing to push back extraterrestrial invaders.

As these astronomers kept watch, the dark stars eventually took notice of them. Three of the stars—Acamar, Hadar, and Gibbeth—began speaking to them and, in time, corrupted their souls. Gradually, they transformed the order into a cult of evil star-worshipers. The Order of Endless Night, driven insane, await the night when their fell star-patrons will come to the world to usher in the end times.

Even though these insane cultists draw power from the powers of these distant evil entities, not all is lost. Fortunate for the rest of the people of Faerûn, these beings of power are trapped in their stars and cannot escape unaided. One evil star roams free, however—Allabar, the Opener of the Way.

LEADER

• Belthurz (Human arcane user [insert flavored mage-type here]), is the leader of the Order of Endless Night, constantly observing the stars and tracking the times when Allabar is destined to return to Abeir-Toril. He spends his time honing his arcane might, using slaves as target practice and as offerings for the other terrible beings that inhabit the stars of Hadar, Gibbeth, etc.

Sorry this is all I can type out right now. You can get more information from Dungeon magazine #207 about the adventure Starhaunt is written for OR read in 4e's Monster Manual 2 about the Baleful stars and Monster Manual 3 for Allbar.
Qilintha Posted - 14 Jul 2017 : 12:38:04
Not exactly what I am looking for but I like Rakshasas as creatures. Any Lore experts about Faerun events having Fear as Primary Focus?
moonbeast Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 16:07:05
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

@Moonbeast: Rakshasa pretender? What do you mean?

Rakshasas are masters of disguise and illusion. A Rakshasa could disguise itself as anything, even as an heir to a dying human king/duke. Hence, the disguise is useful in controlling and swaying others to do their evil bidding.

And fear itself is a useful tool for a Rakshasa ruler/despot. They are lawful evil tyrants (similar to the Bane rulers) that seek to dominate others (from what I get of their description in Monster Manual).

Qilintha Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 14:11:36
I totally agree with you Wooly, they must have a bigger end. But to fully define that I'd need more Faerun Lore, besides the Elfsong story, are there other events where Fear itself played an important role? It'd help me define a location to place it. And about the harnessing Fear I like that thought as well, like to feed the Evil Entity....but again, I need more Lore or inspiration ^^

@Moonbeast: Rakshasa pretender? What do you mean?

Generally I am looking for a non-human leader with powers more connected to Fear itself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 13:42:38
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

@ Wooly: The organization would be mostly human (like 90%), made of Mages, CLerics, Psions and even bards. The non-human would be mostly the leader to report on the Evil Entity.

I never read the Elfsong novel can you tell me more about it? Garnet could be, if still alive, one member of this group.

About the goal of my organization: I still have to define that. It'd be basically spread fear and terror though.

In DC comics the goal of the Sinestro Corp is to destroy the green Lantern Corps and to free Parallax, an embodiment of fear planar monster trapped by the Green Lanterns.

Garnet was an evil bard who felt that bardcraft and politics should not be separated; to that end, she planned on doing away with Waterdeep's Hidden Lords.

As for spreading fear, there should be some goal in doing so. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see a bunch of people coming together to create fear just for the sake of doing so. Using fear as a tool or weapon to accomplish another goal? That I can see. Overthrowing a government, launching a coup, starting a war, even causing a society to rip itself apart and thus destroy itself -- those things would be ways to utilize fear. Or perhaps something that magically harnesses fear, and uses that energy towards some specific end...
Taleras Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 12:42:52
How about a Mind Flayer leader? That would be scary in itself...
moonbeast Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 12:03:04
A Rakshasa pretender is the true "genius" behind the cabal.

Or a powerful Shade prince.
Qilintha Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 10:42:20
@ Eilserus and Cyric: Bane holds the Fear Portfolio but I'd prefer to avoid to use Bane for a minor organization like this one. He is too much a major villain to be in charge of this group. Maybe the Clerics members of this organization can ask for their spells to a version of Bane that focus more on the Fear portfolio though (Like a sort of heretic cult).

@ Wooly: The organization would be mostly human (like 90%), made of Mages, CLerics, Psions and even bards. The non-human would be mostly the leader to report on the Evil Entity.

I never read the Elfsong novel can you tell me more about it? Garnet could be, if still alive, one member of this group.

About the goal of my organization: I still have to define that. It'd be basically spread fear and terror though.

In DC comics the goal of the Sinestro Corp is to destroy the green Lantern Corps and to free Parallax, an embodiment of fear planar monster trapped by the Green Lanterns.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 03:43:46
I know you want to go non-human, but let me offer a couple of thoughts on humans and demihumans that can use fear:

Mages and clerics both command magics that can alter someone's emotional state. Psionicists have similar options.

But if it was me, I'd go with evil bards. Bards are all about manipulating emotions, and talented bards can push people in particular emotional directions without people really realizing in.

Look at what Garnet did in Elfsong. Even without the rituals that she used the Morninglark for, she was pushing people into a state of fear and unease. Her use of the Morninglark reinforced what she was doing by giving people a focus for their fears.

So take a group of evil bards. One or more of them act in the shadows, causing problems of some sort. A few more openly walk among the people, spreading rumors about these problems, singing songs and telling tales that get people thinking about these problems... And right there, you've got a lot of fear brewing.

Anyway, that's my two coppers.

What is the ultimate goal of your organization? I'm not familiar with much DC stuff, so I know next to nothing about anything Green Lantern-related.
Eilserus Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 01:17:16
Bane is a good bet. A couple of Night Hags or a Banelich in his service could be manipulating dreams of humans so sleep is nothing but nightmares that eventually kills them. Souls get collected since the dead are fed to something that sends them to the dark lord. Bane priests are their human hands in city. I don't remember if Bane still holds the Fear portfolio, but could be a way of him getting it back if he doesn't.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 00:57:33
I know necromancers can have fear-based powers, but I know that doesn't help you with race or deity. Bane is the main one I came across, too. Most evil deities could invoke fear, particularly archdevils, and gods like Moander, Ghaunadaur, and maybe Cyric.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000