Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Path of the Blood Knight (5E Fighter sub-class)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 14:31:09
Hey all,

Well as I go through the play-test for D&D:Next I have this urge to do my own homebrew thing because, well I like homebrewing stuff as well as providing more options that we're unlikely to see for a long while. The idea of playing a Dhampir or half-vampire style character is always a strong one for me and the Fighter chassis helps promote this feel. So below is the Path of the Blood Knight. One feature, at 18th level takes the feature of the Champion's 18th level one because I feel they're both extremely similar in both nature and power. So I figured it would be fine.

It will require the play-test material to fully understand the features and how they work in relation to the class and over all rules.

FIGHTER
Path of the Blood Knight

Perhaps the thirst for blood runs in your lineage or maybe you've had the misfortune of coming across a vampire and thus have been bit. Regardless of the reasons, the abilities of a vampire slowly build within you. Although you’re not truly a full-fledged creature of the night, you start to exhibit the blood thirst common among that specific kind of undead. The seducing lure of darkness has enthralled you and you intend to embrace it’s power.

Blood Knight Features
Level	   Feature
3	   Blood Drinker
7	   Night Stalker
10	   Drain the Vein
15	   Nocturne’s Call
18	   Dark Vitality

Blood Drinker
As you slay your victims mercilessly, blood gushes forth from the wounds you've inflicted, cascading over you like an unholy baptism. You start to draw strength from this invigorating feeling.
When you drop a creature to 0 HP with a melee attack, you can gain temporary hit points equal to your Proficiency bonus.

Night Stalker
Your heightened senses and motion allow you to glide more easily across the grown, giving you an almost unnatural gait and softened footfalls.
You gain proficiency with Stealth checks. Additionally, you do not suffer disadvantage to Stealth checks while wearing any armor.

Drain the Vein
Gripping a creature in your hand, the overwhelming urge to sink your sharp fangs into their exposed throat and tear it out is too great. Grappled creatures flail haplessly as you slowly drain the vitality from their veins.
When you use your action to successfully grapple a creature, that creature takes damage equal to 2d6 + your Strength or Dexterity modifier. If a creature is reduced to 0 HP using this ability, you gain actual hit points from your Blood Drinker ability.

Nocturne’s Call
The connection to other creatures of the night resonate strongly within your soul. The sound is so strong that you gain the ability to turn into one of their kind.
As an action you can transform into a bat or mist. This transformation works just like the druid’s wild shape class feature and lasts for one hour. You regain the use of this ability after a long rest.

Dark Vitality
The pinnacle of your warrior’s training and blood lust leaves you with uncounted strength and endurance.
You gain the Champion’s Survivor feature.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 01:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Glad to be of help. I'm sure its worth what you paid (that is 0) :-)

Ah, it's worth far more than that! I tend to homebrew a LOT of 3.5 and 4e material but I'm still working out all the stuff with 5e. I've tended to stick to mostly WotC source material with a few things from DM's Guide (like your Forgotten Characters supplement) and things I hear good things on. So when I make something I always fear that it's too wonky or over-powered.
TomCosta Posted - 11 Jul 2017 : 23:52:50
Glad to be of help. I'm sure its worth what you paid (that is 0) :-)
Diffan Posted - 11 Jul 2017 : 23:30:15
quote:

Here are some edits to consider.

Blood Drinker
As you mercilessly slay your victims, blood gushes forth from the wounds you've inflicted, cascading over you like an unholy baptism. You start to draw strength from this invigorating feeling.
When you drop a creature to 0 HP with a melee attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to that creature’s total Hit Die.

* Note, I cut the last two sentences. They were not necessary. That said, this is more powerful than improved critical. How much more powerful, I'm not sure. Maybe you get temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus.

Interesting take. Keeps it more in-line with other aspects regarding proficiency instead of constantly asking the DM how many THP you're acquiring from monsters.

quote:

Drain the Vein
Gripping a creature in your hand, the overwhelming urge to sink your sharp fangs into their exposed throat and tear it out is too great. Restrained creatures flail haplessly as you slowly drain the vitality from their veins.
When you use your action to successfully restrain a creature you have grappled, that creature takes damage equal to 2d6 + your Strength or Dexterity modifier. Further, you do not suffer disadvantage on attacks while restraining a creature. If a creature is reduced to 0 HP using this ability, you gain actual hit points from your Blood Drinker ability rather than temporary hit points.

* Note, grappling doesn't impose the restrained condition. It imposes the grappled condition. This ability basically requires you to take the Grappler feat to work. That may not be a bad thing, but I think you might want to restructure this so it works without Grappler, but works better with the feat tax incurred. Vampires can bite if the creature is grappled, incapacitated, or restrained. Also, I'd use similar language to the vampire about regaining hit points.

Good call. I might have been going off older play test material when I wrote this, hence the restrained condition after grappling, haha. And by similar language, you mean using your Proficiency bonus for hit points instead of the creature's Hit Die?

quote:

Nocturne’s Call
The connection to other creatures of the night resonate strongly within your soul. The sound is so strong that you gain the ability to turn into one of their kind.
As an action you can transform into a bat or dire wolf. This transformation works just like the druid’s wild shape class feature and lasts for a number of hours equal to ½ your Fighter level. You regain the use of this ability after a long rest.

* Why make this more than an hour. Just go with an hour and call it done. Also, not sure the benefits of turning into a dire wolf in most cases at this level. I might instead go with bat or mist and use the language from the vampire.

The dire wolf was drawn from some of the mythology of Vampires turning into nocturnal beings like wolves. But Bat and Mist is more thematic regarding D&D vampires. And keeping it at just an hour is simpler.

That's great feedback Tom, thank you SO much!
TomCosta Posted - 11 Jul 2017 : 22:45:39
Here are some edits to consider.

Blood Drinker
As you mercilessly slay your victims, blood gushes forth from the wounds you've inflicted, cascading over you like an unholy baptism. You start to draw strength from this invigorating feeling.
When you drop a creature to 0 HP with a melee attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to that creature’s total Hit Die.

* Note, I cut the last two sentences. They were not necessary. That said, this is more powerful than improved critical. How much more powerful, I'm not sure. Maybe you get temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus.

Night Stalker
Your heightened senses and motion allow you to glide more easily across the grown, giving you an almost unnatural gait and softened footfalls.
You gain proficiency with Stealth checks. Additionally, you do not suffer disadvantage to Stealth checks while wearing armor.

Drain the Vein
Gripping a creature in your hand, the overwhelming urge to sink your sharp fangs into their exposed throat and tear it out is too great. Restrained creatures flail haplessly as you slowly drain the vitality from their veins.
When you use your action to successfully restrain a creature you have grappled, that creature takes damage equal to 2d6 + your Strength or Dexterity modifier. Further, you do not suffer disadvantage on attacks while restraining a creature. If a creature is reduced to 0 HP using this ability, you gain actual hit points from your Blood Drinker ability rather than temporary hit points.

* Note, grappling doesn't impose the restrained condition. It imposes the grappled condition. This ability basically requires you to take the Grappler feat to work. That may not be a bad thing, but I think you might want to restructure this so it works without Grappler, but works better with the feat tax incurred. Vampires can bite if the creature is grappled, incapacitated, or restrained. Also, I'd use similar language to the vampire about regaining hit points.

Nocturne’s Call
As an action you can transform into a bat or dire wolf. This transformation works just like the druid’s wild shape class feature and lasts for a number of hours equal to ½ your Fighter level. You regain the use of this ability after a long rest.

* Why make this more than an hour. Just go with an hour and call it done. Also, not sure the benefits of turning into a dire wolf in most cases at this level. I might instead go with bat or mist and use the language from the vampire.

Delwa Posted - 10 Apr 2014 : 04:01:01
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

That would be great. Currently I haven't had the time to run D&D:Next when both of our games have been elected to be 4E. Hopefully when the finalized game comes out I can rope them into trying the finished product so we can see if it's worth more investment.

Not a problem. Barring drastic changes in the final product, I'm switching to Next from 3.5, and all my players are onboard with it, at least as far as playing goes. I consider myself fortunate there, because I'm really enjoying tinkering with the system. It just screams, "customize me!" It's also been a breeze to run.

Diffan Posted - 10 Apr 2014 : 02:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

We're just now halfway to level 3. Between work and such, play time has been at a premium. We should hit level 3 this weekend or next, and I have three fighters. If one of them elects this path, I'll post feedback here. :-)

That would be great. Currently I haven't had the time to run D&D:Next when both of our games have been elected to be 4E. Hopefully when the finalized game comes out I can rope them into trying the finished product so we can see if it's worth more investment.
Delwa Posted - 09 Apr 2014 : 20:23:53
We're just now halfway to level 3. Between work and such, play time has been at a premium. We should hit level 3 this weekend or next, and I have three fighters. If one of them elects this path, I'll post feedback here. :-)
Diffan Posted - 08 Apr 2014 : 18:40:02
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Will do. We're taking a break till Groundhog Day, but I'll send any feedback!

Did you ever get a chance to try it out? I've been so busy with our current 4E games that I haven't run D&D:Next in a few months.
Delwa Posted - 27 Dec 2013 : 18:31:57
Will do. We're taking a break till Groundhog Day, but I'll send any feedback!
Diffan Posted - 27 Dec 2013 : 08:58:46
I'm glad you liked it. Let me know how your player likes it and how well it handles during the game. I haven't had a chance to fully playtest it yet.
Delwa Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 16:21:43
I have a new player that was actually asking about playing something very similar to this! Thanks!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000