Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 After Mystras murder, what of her petitioners?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastermustard Posted - 16 Jun 2017 : 22:02:44
After Mystra's murder at the hands of Shar and Cyric, the entire plane of Dweamerheart was annihilated, killing Savras outright and sending Azuth plummeting to the lower realms where he was quickly murdered by Asmodeus, who coveted his divine spark.

Something that I don't think was ever elaborated on was the fate of the three deities' divine servants and petitioners who lived on the plane. When Mystra was revived she went right back to greater-deity status and I'm wondering if her divine realm is currently mostly empty or if the previous residents have returned in some capacity.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 20:37:03
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Mystra's petitioners were probably destroyed when her realm was destroyed, considering they were at ground zero. The realms of Velsharoon and co, not so much, although it's entirely possible that Velsharoon's petitioners are still in Death's Embrace under the rule of Mellifleur.

With 5e, all those killing blows that 4e dealt were revealed to not have been successful at all. If Mystra survived, and we know she did, chances are that her realm wasn't actually fully destroyed.

That's why I go with the idea that some planes "moved to Abeir" (including dweomerheart). We know the Mulhorandi gods are coming back too, so I'd imagine their plane "attached" to Abeir as well temporarily. Maybe the reason a bunch of Mulhorandi disappeared was their gods saw their home "moving" and somehow they reached out and "grabbed" some of their worshippers to come with them in their wake.
Irennan Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 20:26:05
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Mystra's petitioners were probably destroyed when her realm was destroyed, considering they were at ground zero. The realms of Velsharoon and co, not so much, although it's entirely possible that Velsharoon's petitioners are still in Death's Embrace under the rule of Mellifleur.

With 5e, all those killing blows that 4e dealt were revealed to not have been successful at all. If Mystra survived, and we know she did, chances are that her realm wasn't actually fully destroyed.
LordofBones Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 20:10:10
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 16:02:17
Maybe, but after 4e, anything 5e did didn't come off nearly as abrasive.

But I didn't really see 5e as being "a big bucket of ideas" - just ONE idea; "put it all back the way it was!!!"
Gyor Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 04:42:44
"4e's problem was that it came off as a big bucket of ideas (and some were actually pretty good), that no-one bothered to see-through to the end. It wasn't so much 'unpolished', as it was unfinished."

I feel like you could just as easily have been describing 5e.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 18:44:48
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Oh YEAH, thats what I found so interesting - that setting sounded a LOT like 4e (my thoughts back then were that someone over at WotC really liked that setting, and 'raided it' for ideas - you jogged my memory!).

It would make a decent Abeir, come to think of it, but I already have my version mapped-out...... in my head.

Yep, that was the instant feeling I got when I read 4e. Only, the raiders didn't get it done as well as Scarred Lands did.

4e's problem was that it came off as a big bucket of ideas (and some were actually pretty good), that no-one bothered to see-through to the end. It wasn't so much 'unpolished', as it was unfinished.

It really felt like they had tons of ideas scribbled on post-its all over the office, and everyone involved was so enamored with their own contributions they weren't really listening to what others were doing (or latching onto just the few bits that caught their attention... and even then they may have taken it wrong and ran in a different direction than the person who put forth the idea), and suddenly it was a week before the release date, and they scrambled to cobble-together all those ideas just to just get something out the door, without rhyme or reason to how it all worked together.

In other words a train wreck. Maybe some of the cars on that train were filled with pure gold, but a train wreck never-the-less.

And unfortunately, we are still feeling the repercussions from all that lack of cohesion (so this wasn't so much an anti-4e rant, as it was my 'bottom line' summation of how it all felt, and what it left us with, and why we have these current problems moving forward).

So YEAH, they should have told us where all Mystra's petitioners went, but they haven't, and probably never will (mostly because they themselves are now feeling the aftershocks of what happens when you don't have a cohesive 'game plan' for a setting, and just "make it up as you go along").
Bladewind Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 16:00:55
One could glean some clues from the World Tree Cosmology to guess what might have happened when Dweomerheart exploded into splintered chunks of magical rocks. Assuming one falls "down" there might be a logical path for a dweomerheart petitioner to have had taken after their tiny piece of astral plane exploded, hurtled through the celestial heavens and landed somewhere.

You can see the Worldtree is arranged with the Gates of the Moon at the top and Arvandor and Dwarfhome at the bottom like so:

Gates of the Moon
Brightwater
Golden Hills
House of Knowledge
Dweomerheart
House of the Triad
Green Fields
Arvandor
Dwarfhome

Dweomerhearts floating magical plateau-fortress could be reached by the uppermost of the lower-lying worldtree branches, which reached to the House of the Triad (on the 5th layer of Celestia) and the Green Fields (a demiplane on Arborea) below it as well. Perhaps some splinters of Dweomerheart landed a branch or two above Dweomerhearts branch, reaching the Golden Hills (Bytopia) or the House of Knowledge (Mechanus?). Most likely the celestial planes on the branches below would naturally catch some of the scattered lost souls of Dweomerheart, so Dwarfhome, Arvandor, the Green Fields and the House of the Triad probably found the greater part of lost souls of Mystra, Azuth, Savras, Velsharoon and Auppenser.

If these places or the petitioner refugees couldn't accept the new sanctuary for some reason, the lost soul might be shunted off the planes "alignment field" and considered falling forever more, floating in static orbit around the kernel of truth that once was Mystras core (and the center of Dweomerheart). Lost souls are occasionally spotted by keen eyed travelers who turn an eye towards the Astral Voids' horizons, and easily mistaken as Unfettered Ghosts.

Gyor Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 00:48:33
We're really only got one look at Abeir and that was in The Devil You Know and it's magically very different then Toril, more fantastical in someways, but paradoxically low magic as it doesn't have a weave.

Anyone's in that same novel we see what happens to a plane that is abandoned so I still assume it would be true for Dweonerheart at least until Mystra's return.

sleyvas Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 21:03:42
quote:

Oh YEAH, thats what I found so interesting - that setting sounded a LOT like 4e (my thoughts back then were that someone over at WotC really liked that setting, and 'raided it' for ideas - you jogged my memory!).

It would make a decent Abeir, come to think of it, but I already have my version mapped-out...... in my head.

Yep, that was the instant feeling I got when I read 4e. Only, the raiders didn't get it done as well as Scarred Lands did.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 16:37:39
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

The Realms is a polytheistic setting. A patron deity is just the deity to which you feel most closely aligned, not the only deity to which you worship or pray. The soul of a dead petitioner is going to always go to the best-suited place for them, usually their patron's domain. However, if that is not possible, then they would simply go to the next best place, and so on down the list.

So, I would imagine, the souls of petitioners most likely to go to Mystra simply went wherever the second best place for them would have been--which would vary depending on the petitioner.

True. A soul is going to go to the deity that is best aligned with their moral outlook and ethics, whether it is their patron deity, or the one who just is most aligned with their views.

Mystra would probably want to re-gather those souls, though, lol. At first, I had worried the souls had been destroyed, as it seemed Dweomerheart was. Now, it seems that is not the case, so it would stand to reason that the souls "survived" as well.

Honestly, if Dweomerheart was destroyed and there was no pre-plan in place to somehow shield/protect the souls of petitioners there, I would imagine they were destroyed. Alternatively, they were cast out as rogue souls in the Astral Sea--similar to how Azuth and Velsharoon were cast out. If there was no contingency for Azuth, it is difficult to imagine there were contingencies for the souls of petitioners. Best case scenario is that some were destroyed, others were hurled into other planes, and maybe the bulk ended up stranded in the Astral Sea. Servitors of allied deities of Mystra (particularly Selune) most likely arrived to try and save as many as they could. Others were likely preyed upon by Demons and other beings. It was likely a huge and ugly mess with many losses.

When Dweomerheart was reformed I could imagine that Mystra sent out the word to former petitioners (those who once inhabited her divine domain) that they could return. Those who ended up in allied deities domains likely had a choice, some returned, others remained where they were. Petitioners who never inhabited Dweomerheart might have also received the invitation, though I doubt many accepted it, and I also doubt many could freely leave without the permission of the deity of the domain in which they inhabited. I always viewed arriving in the divine domain of a deity as sort of being bound to that deity. Those who had been rescued would still be "bound" to Mystra, but those who had never entered Dweomerheart would not.

I also imagine that once Mystra re-established herself that her divine servants began getting vengeance on those who harmed her petitioners--such as demons. She might also be sending out servitors to help locate specific petitioners--I could imagine some being held captive in the Nine Hells, for example, and her servitors doing battle there in an attempt to free one of importance. Of course, being trapped in the Nine Hells for so long has likely changed them considerably, warping them to be more in line with the plane in which they inhabited. So, there is that concern. Nevertheless, Mystra would likely want very specific people back, if possible, and may be willing to go to great lengths to retrieve them.

I can see all this happening. I agree with you. It's something I've been wondering about ever since the Spellplague.
Markustay Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 14:29:11

sleyvas Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 12:08:32
quote:

quote:

Somebody has been reading of the Forsaken Elves of the Scarred Lands it sounds like.
I know next to nothing about the Scarred Lands. I looked into it awhile back - briefly - but I just didn't have the time to start studying another setting. I recall it was interesting, but I can't remember why. LOL

But the whole 'Forsaken' thing is a running theme in many settings (usually involving some sort of undead, so the 'souls of petitioners' fit well). Warcraft has Forsaken, and Weird West/Deadlands has Harrowed. I'd love to see a similar concept folded into The Realms - could even be an interesting way to bring back an old (pre-4e) character into 5e - he wakes up in a tomb (or drags himself out of a grave), and presto, you have your old (smelly) character back. The Knight of the Living Dead solo play adventure featured a similar type of character (an undead Paladin), and there are at least two others in The Realms that I can think of off the top of my head (Jingleshod, and that one that was involved in the Phlan/pools of.. storylines).

Hmmmm... 'Paladins continuing to serve' after they die - a common Realms theme, and we also have dead servants of Mystra taking various forms and continuing to serve. Maybe all it takes to become some sort of revenant is Faith, and dedication to some unfinished cause (in FR).

I had even spun Dūdonahorz as one of those in 4e, way back when 4e was first released. Since he was an undead hunter, I just said that he had finally gotten bitten, but the Spellplague struck before he turned, and it altered the curse, so now he's a half-dead (sort of like Blade - a daywalker).

Oh! And those undead knights/whatever that followed Jergal and then Myrkul, down in the southern Shaar! There really are a LOT of them around!

Oh, what you described sounded much like the Forsaken Elves of the Scarred Lands. They are NOT undead. They are elves whose deity who created their race died protecting them from the "Titans" (I think it was the Titan of disease). So, they are now a "godless" race of elves (not evil mind you, just godless). This has caused them to be very melancholy.
Aldrick Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 06:41:18
quote:

quote:

The Realms is a polytheistic setting. A patron deity is just the deity to which you feel most closely aligned, not the only deity to which you worship or pray. The soul of a dead petitioner is going to always go to the best-suited place for them, usually their patron's domain. However, if that is not possible, then they would simply go to the next best place, and so on down the list.

So, I would imagine, the souls of petitioners most likely to go to Mystra simply went wherever the second best place for them would have been--which would vary depending on the petitioner.

True. A soul is going to go to the deity that is best aligned with their moral outlook and ethics, whether it is their patron deity, or the one who just is most aligned with their views.

Mystra would probably want to re-gather those souls, though, lol. At first, I had worried the souls had been destroyed, as it seemed Dweomerheart was. Now, it seems that is not the case, so it would stand to reason that the souls "survived" as well.

Honestly, if Dweomerheart was destroyed and there was no pre-plan in place to somehow shield/protect the souls of petitioners there, I would imagine they were destroyed. Alternatively, they were cast out as rogue souls in the Astral Sea--similar to how Azuth and Velsharoon were cast out. If there was no contingency for Azuth, it is difficult to imagine there were contingencies for the souls of petitioners. Best case scenario is that some were destroyed, others were hurled into other planes, and maybe the bulk ended up stranded in the Astral Sea. Servitors of allied deities of Mystra (particularly Selune) most likely arrived to try and save as many as they could. Others were likely preyed upon by Demons and other beings. It was likely a huge and ugly mess with many losses.

When Dweomerheart was reformed I could imagine that Mystra sent out the word to former petitioners (those who once inhabited her divine domain) that they could return. Those who ended up in allied deities domains likely had a choice, some returned, others remained where they were. Petitioners who never inhabited Dweomerheart might have also received the invitation, though I doubt many accepted it, and I also doubt many could freely leave without the permission of the deity of the domain in which they inhabited. I always viewed arriving in the divine domain of a deity as sort of being bound to that deity. Those who had been rescued would still be "bound" to Mystra, but those who had never entered Dweomerheart would not.

I also imagine that once Mystra re-established herself that her divine servants began getting vengeance on those who harmed her petitioners--such as demons. She might also be sending out servitors to help locate specific petitioners--I could imagine some being held captive in the Nine Hells, for example, and her servitors doing battle there in an attempt to free one of importance. Of course, being trapped in the Nine Hells for so long has likely changed them considerably, warping them to be more in line with the plane in which they inhabited. So, there is that concern. Nevertheless, Mystra would likely want very specific people back, if possible, and may be willing to go to great lengths to retrieve them.
Markustay Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 05:09:31
quote:

Somebody has been reading of the Forsaken Elves of the Scarred Lands it sounds like.
I know next to nothing about the Scarred Lands. I looked into it awhile back - briefly - but I just didn't have the time to start studying another setting. I recall it was interesting, but I can't remember why. LOL

But the whole 'Forsaken' thing is a running theme in many settings (usually involving some sort of undead, so the 'souls of petitioners' fit well). Warcraft has Forsaken, and Weird West/Deadlands has Harrowed. I'd love to see a similar concept folded into The Realms - could even be an interesting way to bring back an old (pre-4e) character into 5e - he wakes up in a tomb (or drags himself out of a grave), and presto, you have your old (smelly) character back. The Knight of the Living Dead solo play adventure featured a similar type of character (an undead Paladin), and there are at least two others in The Realms that I can think of off the top of my head (Jingleshod, and that one that was involved in the Phlan/pools of.. storylines).

Hmmmm... 'Paladins continuing to serve' after they die - a common Realms theme, and we also have dead servants of Mystra taking various forms and continuing to serve. Maybe all it takes to become some sort of revenant is Faith, and dedication to some unfinished cause (in FR).

I had even spun Dūdonahorz as one of those in 4e, way back when 4e was first released. Since he was an undead hunter, I just said that he had finally gotten bitten, but the Spellplague struck before he turned, and it altered the curse, so now he's a half-dead (sort of like Blade - a daywalker).

Oh! And those undead knights/whatever that followed Jergal and then Myrkul, down in the southern Shaar! There really are a LOT of them around!
CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 04:40:01
quote:

Aldrick Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 03:26:15

sleyvas Posted - 23 Jun 2017 : 22:52:05
quote:

quote:

quote:

A post-Afterlife. LOL

Lol sort of. In my own writing, the celestials aren't former mortals. They've always been celestials, so they are still "living". It's not so much a post-afterlife.

In FR, the "limbo realm" where petitioners might go if their deity dies could be considered a "post-afterlife", if a temporary one until another deity takes up their gods mantle, or they are assigned elsewhere.
I was actually thinking about what I said - a city of people disenfranchised from the whole god/worship thing because their gods died.

Forlorn - City of the Forsaken

And since I've been talking abut it so much in other threads, why not stick it in the Border ethereal ('The Mittlemarch')? "Cast from the heavens, but no longer welcome in the mortal realms, the folk of Forlorn ar a pragmatic, melancholy lot. Reachable from everywhere, but in the middle of nowhere, Forlorn is a testament to the fact that nothing lasts forever, and even gods can die."

https://the-scarred-lands.obsidianportal.com/wikis/forsaken-elves

I'd personally love to make the scarred lands setting the official world of Abeir (with some tweaks mind you), but given the legal issues that would involve, I know it wouldn't happen. That being said, it would be perfect to life some things from there.
Markustay Posted - 23 Jun 2017 : 15:03:26
quote:

quote:

A post-Afterlife. LOL

Lol sort of. In my own writing, the celestials aren't former mortals. They've always been celestials, so they are still "living". It's not so much a post-afterlife.

In FR, the "limbo realm" where petitioners might go if their deity dies could be considered a "post-afterlife", if a temporary one until another deity takes up their gods mantle, or they are assigned elsewhere.
I was actually thinking about what I said - a city of people disenfranchised from the whole god/worship thing because their gods died.

Forlorn - City of the Forsaken

And since I've been talking abut it so much in other threads, why not stick it in the Border ethereal ('The Mittlemarch')? "Cast from the heavens, but no longer welcome in the mortal realms, the folk of Forlorn ar a pragmatic, melancholy lot. Reachable from everywhere, but in the middle of nowhere, Forlorn is a testament to the fact that nothing lasts forever, and even gods can die."
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Jun 2017 : 14:53:29
I am going to agree. A trapped god is still a living god, and they may still be able to exert some (albeit limited) influence.
sleyvas Posted - 23 Jun 2017 : 13:05:15
Just to play devil's advocate for a second, yes Savras was entrapped in a scepter. He was still a part of the weave though, and he still had followers for centuries, and it wasn't ever said that Azuth was granting them spells in Savras' name, nor do I recall it ever being said that they could only get lesser spells. So, the question becomes "what does being entrapped in a scepter actually mean for the god of divination?". I see it like he was incapable of manifesting an avatar, maybe he was incapable of working against Azuth, and maybe he generally couldn't interact with the world on much of a level beyond providing prophecies and dreams... which maybe he was actually fine with to a degree. Hell, he may have allowed himself to be trapped to prevent a future calamity to himself that he'd foreseen.
TBeholder Posted - 23 Jun 2017 : 05:18:22
quote:
Originally posted by see

We know, from the lore, that the 1e Mystra foresaw the Time of Troubles and took steps to mitigate the issue. This of course might have had something to do with Savras's foresight.

Wasn't Savras imprisoned in Azuth's sceptre and mostly powerless until the end of ToT?

quote:
"It was all a dream" is of course an unsatisfying conclusion in fiction generally, but given the messes involved, "Leira did it!" works reasonably well.

This would certainly explain why so much sense was not made.

Then again, there were little bells much earlier - supposedly Leira herself provides disguise for Toril's whole moon (or at least the whole Toril-facing side), and it didn't vanish when she was "killed". Not that Realmspace book is widely lauded for its quality...
CorellonsDevout Posted - 22 Jun 2017 : 21:40:54
quote:

A post-Afterlife. LOL

Markustay Posted - 22 Jun 2017 : 21:36:42
A post-Afterlife. LOL
CorellonsDevout Posted - 22 Jun 2017 : 17:08:47
This is why I wish a lot more info had been given. As mentioned, we know Mystra didn't actually die, so even though the first indication was that her realm was destroyed, it has since been suggested otherwise.

When the Spellplague first happened, this was something I was concerned about (we all know by now I am interested in the afterlife and concerned about souls lol). Mystra had many past and present followers, so the thought that all those petitioners were destroyed didn't sit well with me. This seems to have been rectified, even if it was done so "off screen".

This kind of reminds me of the world I created in my own writing (not FR related). Within the afterlife, there is an "afterlife" for celestials (angels and other sorts), and deities.
Markustay Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 20:34:44
Considering how many gods have died over the countless millennia (and the 'mental proximity' of another nearby thread I recently responded to), the image of a "city of lost souls" just popped into my head - a sort-of limbo where 'the godless' go when their god... and afterlife... are no more.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 13:59:42
btw, sorry for going off on such a tangent... but it helped me think through some stuff to throw in another document. Need to come back here and steal my own stuff and rewrite it slightly.
Gyor Posted - 18 Jun 2017 : 14:34:56
I think Dwoemerheart ended up where Ziggaraxus still is for now, which my hypothesis suggests is the Shadowfell.

sleyvas Posted - 17 Jun 2017 : 12:30:41
quote:
Originally posted by see

We know, from the lore, that the 1e Mystra foresaw the Time of Troubles and took steps to mitigate the issue. This of course might have had something to do with Savras's foresight. We also know that Leira, goddess of illusions and illusionists, could fool the gods themselves. And we were never told exactly what happened to Leira's realm and followers after her supposed "death" at the hands of a just-ascended human, nor where Leira's former realm was in the 3e cosmology. So, the obvious thing to me is a deception. Right after the Time of Troubles and the Second Sundering, Leira faked her death and hid her realm, and then that hidden refuge was used by other deities of magic and their petitioners after the Cyric/Shar attempt on Mystra's life.

"It was all a dream" is of course an unsatisfying conclusion in fiction generally, but given the messes involved, "Leira did it!" works reasonably well.

I'm actually going very similar lines, and ones that tie in with the whole Abeir/Toril crossover. Dweomerheart (and some other deific planes such as the Mulhorandi one) "crossed over" their world tree attachments to Abeir. Cyric wasn't "locked away"... he went with it. Leira was involved, as was Savras (who was working with Leira oddly enough, even though most would consider the two enemies... they both are magic's servants) . Leira, Savras, Auppenser (who also lived on the plane), Velsharoon, and Deneir (and others) worked in Abeir to nurse Mystra back to health in Abeir by building up a weave in that world and spreading the use of magic.

On the Velsharoon thing, my current thoughts are he was actually entrapped in a phylactery and Mellifleur had taken over the "godhood" in Toril again. That is who the Simbul killed. Meanwhile, Velsharoon was released from a phylactery he kept in the Tower Terrible in Soorenar through the combined aid of several mortal servants of the gods of magic (Zulkir Yaphyll for Savras and Zulkir Mythrell'aa for Leira) and some other spellcasters (including the daughter of Zulkir Lauzoril, Mimuay Tavai). Velsharoon may have had some involvement with the raising from the dead of some other gods, but he did temporarily occupy the body of Mimuay Tavai, and before leaving it, he did magically awaken the clone of Lauzoril (with the memories it had at the time of the making of the clone a year prior) also in Soorenar, as a reward for her willingness to serve as his temprorary avatar until he could complete the ritual necessary to ascend again.

Oh, and since I'm revealing this much, may as well discuss some of the other options I'm thinking of doing.

Tharchion Dmitra Flass also had a clone, but this one in the Thayan enclave in the city of Cimbar. Mimuay had developed a closeness to this woman over the past decade after her own mother's death as a result of Szass Tam's actions in flooding Thazalhar with undead. This clone was awakened as well, becoming the Aulkir of Illusion for the Tharch of Peleveran (where Lauzoril also became the first Zulkir of the United Tharchs of Toril). The two became close and eventually wed, and so this Zulkir and Aulkir rule specifically over the Tharch of Peleveran, along with their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Also right after Velsharoon's release, he cast powerful ritual of necromancy that pulled thousands of Chessentans, dragonborn and genasi from their graves for hundreds of miles. Savras then blessed these undead with the ability to see through magical disguises and other divinatory blessings. Leira also granted these undead the ability to cloak themselves in illusions to hide their undead nature and appear as their former selves. Finally, Auppenser awakened a spark of their former consciousness, such that these beings could hold conversations, and it is whispered that some of these undead can even peer into the minds of others and perceive their thoughts. These undead are tasked with protecting the living of Cimbar and Soorenar. "Reborn Chessenta" has since swelled with populations of genasi and dragonborn (who are treated as second class citizens by the Mulans and Chessentans of these cities) seeking the freedoms of this land over the oppression of Shyr. Many of them treat the undead surrounding their territory with great reverence, for they are their own ancestors.
One of the things that also occurred right after the transfer to Abeir and the release of Velsharoon is that Velsharoon travelled to a small pocket of earth beneath Bezantur that had actually transferred to Abeir. In this pocket was entrapped the demilich Ythazz Buvarr, one of the founders of Thay and one of the creators of Zulkirate. Whether Velsharoon was involved with Ythazz's imprisonment (for getting Velsharoon kicked out of the country which he helped free), I haven't decided, but he decides to free Ythazz and place him as the leader of the undead which now surround Cimbar and Soorenar (which were treated as a remote portion of Tharch of Peleveran while they were in Abeir), and he was specifically tasked with protecting Velsharoon's temples and the Tower Terrible in Soorenar. Ythazz has created several bodies which he can possess using magic, allowing him to instantly transfer his consciousness between the cities of Cimbar, Soorenar, and Peleveran. Ythazz Buvarr is considered both the autharch of "Reborn Chessenta" (as the region containing Cimbar and Soorenar became known) and the Aulkir of Evocation for the Tharch of Peleveran. It irks him that he, the first Zulkir of Evocation, is not accepted as a Zulkir by his fellows, but with the aggression of the nearby country of Shyr, he didn't have opportunity to do much more than defend his territory. With the return of Abeir, he has been heard to say that perhaps he should expand his territories and form a new Tharch. Zulkir Lauzoril Tavai and Aulkir Dmitra Flass however have been heard to be discussing using the tens of thousands of undead in "Reborn Chessenta" in a campaign to oust Szass Tam, a scheme which is said to have the blessing of the United Tharch Zulkir of Necromancy Mimuay Tavai and her deity, Velsharoon.

I've also written up that during the years following Dmitra's marriage to High Blade Selfaril, she made strategic investments in land surrounding the vast, and during the Thayan civil war she made improvements in those lands so as to encourage the acceptance of Mulan immigrants. These immigrants remember Dmitra fondly, and her great grandchildren (who are also great grandchildren of the former ruler of Mulmaster, but who forsook their claims to the throne) fill positions of power throughout this region. For instance, surrounding the town of Blanaer she had bought several hundred acres of unused and undeveloped land. The town was previously known for the smell of its cattle and their dung ("stinks like Blanaer" was a common saying in the region), and the Mulan immigrants came in, bringing flowers, building wells, and digging irrigation canals. Now the town is known for its second industry as a land of beautiful flowers and numerous nurseries and its secluded ponds are something of a simple vacation getaway for the poor of Vesperin. The people of Blanaer have accepted their Mulan neighbors happily due to the.

Similarly, in the nearby towns of Kurth and King's Reach there were problems that Dmitra Flass and her Mulan immigrants with their expertise came in and solved. For instance, Kurth was known for having alcohol that was made with essentially recycled urine because they had very little water. King's Reach was known for its numerous miners seeking precious metals (and producing mounds of slag rock over the past several decades). Between these two relatively close cities were mountain passes filled with orcs and goblinoids. The Mulans came in, slaughtered the majority of these nuisance races, animated them as untiring slaves, and then proceeded to cart the unneeded slag rock of King's Reach to build an aqueduct that brought water to both cities. This made the city of King's Reach more amenable to minor farming, as its soil was no long clogged with rocks. This also made the city of Kurth a more popular stopping point for caravans travelling the Vast's interior, as the path from Kurth to King's Reach is now one of the most safe passages in the area, complete with stopping points for watering animals and having simple meals prepared at local Mulan run inns and taverns.

With the return of the Tharch of Peleveran (which is essentially a large portion of the eastern Shaar from the landrise moving eastward) to Toril from Abeir, Dmitra Flass has checked in on her former land holdings in the vast. She found a land where she was greeted not only with welcome, but gladness and even a statue of her in Blanaer. These three towns surround the North/Northeastern/Eastern border of the relatively young country of Vesperin, which also holds Thayan enclaves in two of its three major cities (Calaunt and Ravens Bluff).

see Posted - 17 Jun 2017 : 03:24:26
We know, from the lore, that the 1e Mystra foresaw the Time of Troubles and took steps to mitigate the issue. This of course might have had something to do with Savras's foresight. We also know that Leira, goddess of illusions and illusionists, could fool the gods themselves. And we were never told exactly what happened to Leira's realm and followers after her supposed "death" at the hands of a just-ascended human, nor where Leira's former realm was in the 3e cosmology. So, the obvious thing to me is a deception. Right after the Time of Troubles and the Second Sundering, Leira faked her death and hid her realm, and then that hidden refuge was used by other deities of magic and their petitioners after the Cyric/Shar attempt on Mystra's life.

mastermustard Posted - 16 Jun 2017 : 22:24:51
My thanks. I'm always a few steps behind when it comes to revisions and updates to the lore.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000