Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Plot ideas for an alternate reality FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
valarmorgulis Posted - 02 Jun 2017 : 00:49:20
I will be running a campaign set in an alternate reality version of FR where the heroes failed to stop Orcus in the Throne of Bloodstone adventure 50+ years ago. The demon prince of the undead managed to enter the Realms and using powerful plot-magic, has partially drawn Toril into the Abyss itself. Other demon lords have entered the fray (Grazz't, Lolth, and Demogorgon, and possibly others) as each attempts to claim Toril for their own and add it as a new layer in their realms. The gods are limited in what they can do because Toril is already partially in the Abyss, but they can use their avatars.

Orcus controls a huge region around Damara, Vaasa, and the areas eastward.

Lolth controls much of the Underdark and some traditionally elvish areas aboveground.

Grazz't makes his home in Waterdeep (unless you can think of a better place)

Demogorgon actually has the least area, controlling Chult and the neighboring areas, possibly up to the Moonshaes.

The campaign will be fairly bleak in nature, with the good guys struggling mightily just to survive. Would love to get some ideas on how these demon lords might change the areas under their control, how other demon lords or celestial/infernal beings might be involved, etc...

It should go without saying that I am not interested in opinions about how this would never work because of X, Y or Z.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cyrinishad Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 16:34:51
I think the idea of Manshoon hiding out in Cormyr is gold... It had occured to me that Cormyr had not yet been brought up, but Manshoon influencing Cormyr to cobble together a sort of alliance between the Dales, Sembia, Westgate, etc. sounds pretty solid to me.

Regarding Xvim... As far as I can tell he's always been loyal to his father, but if he truly is more powerful than Bane's Avatar at this time... Would he feel obligated to destroy his father if he's a "true believer" in his father's dogma that "Might makes Right"?... Perhaps... he may even see his father's Avatar as test sent by his father that he must overcome, or die trying... Or he may be aware of the nature of the multiverse, knowing that the Avatar is merely proxy of his father that he is obligated to give aid to in order to further his father's ambitions...

I just don't know how the rationale would play out in Xvim's head... It's a really great question... I would tend toward the rationale that Xvim is more powerful than the Avatar, and that he feels that to truly serve his father he must prove his might over it (I think that's an appropriately dark and twisted rationale, consistent with how Bane has treated his various other "loyal" servants).
xaeyruudh Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 06:04:42
quote:
Originally posted by valarmorgulis

I think that *if* Xvim is more powerful than Bane, he'd try to destroy his father and take his followers. But, I'm not sure who could be convinced to attempt to release him. Maybe the PCs.

I hesitate to take a firm stand one way or the other on whether a demipower could best a TOT-god-avatar. There's a compelling argument for each side. So go with what works best for your story, or whichever you like best, and your decision will be easily defensible if anybody questions it.

quote:

I figure that Manshoon wants to avoid the Banite arm of the Zhentarim without completely abandoning his grip on the organization. It's a dangerous path to tread. My guess is he pledges, then gets out of Zhentil Keep as fast as possible.

I agree. Manshoon is pretty flexible, in terms of adapting to or capitalizing on circumstances. (Note: I'm thinking of the Manshoon & Zhentarim THO has talked about in Ed's original campaigns, not the published versions which have become kinda dumbed-down due to various edits to the novels.) He's also never been dependent on (or fond of) the zealous priests anyway, so the "worst case scenario" of losing all the priests is inconvenient but not a bitter pill.

Manshoon doesn't immediately know that the TOT is a temporary event, but he'll probably figure it out quickly as he starts to hear news that other deities have landed in other parts of Faerun. He wouldn't want to be stuck on Faerun if he was a god, so it's logical that the gods don't all want to be on Faerun. He'll also figure that if he's wrong --if the gods are on Faerun to stay-- then it's essentially the end of the world and 99% of the Zhentarim's membership will die with everyone else.

SO. I think Manshoon will, yes, relocate quickly. He'll pick up whatever important items (spellbooks, sentimental stuff, etc) he has in ZK and the Citadel, and he'll "lay low" until the TOT is done. He'll come up with a new alias and a new face, and take up temporary residence in -- *calculating* -- Marsember. Weird? Maybe, but he will want a place that certain people (Fzoul, Bane, Elminster) won't think to look for him.

Marsember has a Zhentarim presence (RoZK maps) but no open temple of Bane and therefore little/no traffic from priests of Bane. Cormyr is staunchly anti-Bane and anti-Zhentarim, so while their patrols keep eyes on the roads and towns for brazen Zhentarim plots and plotters they won't notice the infamously debauched and megalomaniacal Manshoon himself living quietly and avoiding trouble in the stinking marshes of Cormyr's least-desirable neighborhoods. This address has advantages for Manshoon tho, beyond just going unnoticed behind the pirates and nobles and other scumbags.

(Scornubel might also be ideal for some of the same reasons, but it's in Darkhold's front yard and high on Sememmon's list of places to similarly create a new identity for himself if Darkhold's priests prove problematic.)

Marsember is a high-traffic port, so there will be lots of merchants to ply for information and build a rapport with. Magic is on the fritz, so wizards of all levels (from all over the Realms) will be looking for leadership. Manshoon won't trust wizards in Cormyr, but Sembia and Westgate and even the Dales are close by and easy to reach without magic. The Zhentarim also has need of other skills, though. The fighters and rogues who not only have no skill with magic but now have more to fear from wizards' unpredictable spellflinging are prime targets for recruitment... um, I mean friendship and mutual defense, even within Cormyr. (Manshoon has some skill with weapons as well, from before his discovery of magic.)

quote:

With the literal incarnation of Bane in Zhentil Keep, and wizards barely able to use their spells, I imagine that Fzoul and the Banite clergy will become very cocky and aggressive. How that plays out, I don't know.

Agreed again.

quote:

You're probably right that he'd primarily rely on the Zhentilar, but I don't see why he wouldn't try to command both.

I didn't mean that Bane would ignore the Zhentarim. He would use them too, but probably in ways that test Fzoul's capability without having to rely on them getting the right results. For example, the Zhentilar marches/sails against the defenses of Phlan, while the Zhentarim are tasked with getting there first and charming the city's leadership to soften the defenses and minimize Zhentilar losses. Bane plans to take the city either way, but if Fzoul is successful it will be quicker and less costly. He's more comfortable believing the pledge of loyalty from the Zhentilar, because their loyalties are simple and they're less devious than priests and wizards.
valarmorgulis Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 05:59:32
After the ToT had ended, yes. But wasn't he imprisoned during the ToT? So, seems like it might take external aid for him to get out early, so to speak. Or I could just have him free himself early, but that doesn't seem as interesting.

Does anyone know how/why he was imprisoned and how he got out?

There should be some plot twist related to his fiendish heritage, it's too good an opportunity to let slide.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 04:25:26
No one released Xvim before. He escaped on his own.

I would also note, since you have a fiendish thing going on here, that Xvim was previously described as being a cambion, and it's believed his mother was either a fiend of some sort or a paladin. (I've suggested both: a planetouched paladin, striving against her fiendish heritage, who fell and was seduced by Bane. Carrying his evil within her reacted with her own blood and pushed her all the way to full fiendhood)
valarmorgulis Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 02:59:28
Cool.

Xvim would never act against greater deity Bane because he is so much weaker, but if demigod Xvim is more powerful than avatar Bane, that's an opportunity for Xvim that may never come again. So, I think that *if* Xvim is more powerful than Bane, he'd try to destroy his father and take his followers. But, I'm not sure who could be convinced to attempt to release him. Maybe the PCs.

I figure that Manshoon wants to avoid the Banite arm of the Zhentarim without completely abandoning his grip on the organization. It's a dangerous path to tread. My guess is he pledges, then gets out of Zhentil Keep as fast as possible.

With the literal incarnation of Bane in Zhentil Keep, and wizards barely able to use their spells, I imagine that Fzoul and the Banite clergy will become very cocky and aggressive. How that plays out, I don't know.

You're probably right that he'd primarily rely on the Zhentilar, but I don't see why he wouldn't try to command both.
xaeyruudh Posted - 09 Jun 2017 : 01:05:18
My personal opinions/interpretations:

quote:

If Bane were to appear in Zhentil Keep and decide to unite the Moonsea under him, how would he handle Fzoul vs. the High Imperceptor? Does he favor one over the other? Would he have them compete with each other with the winner being his favored? Seems like that would waste resources.

I think Bane is fine with the competition between leading priests. He's had ample opportunity before 1358 to declare either Fzoul or the High Imperceptor to be favored over the other, and he hasn't done so. F&A points to Bane's strongest temple actually being in Mourktar during this time frame, so he's really letting both Fzoul and the High Imperceptor delude themselves into thinking they're his favorites. I think Bane probably doesn't care much about resources being wasted, because they're not *his* resources. When he gives a command, it's up to his priests and followers to make it happen. If they've spent all their money fighting each other, well, they're just going to have to figure out how to make it happen. Bane is a results-oriented god, with no patience for excuses.

Ultimately, it seems Bane does favor Fzoul, but I doubt he would ever say so because (1) he would lose some percentage of the High Imperceptor's following, and (2) Fzoul would get cocky... errr, more cocky than he already is.

quote:

How would the factions in the Zhentarim react to Bane's appearance? This is what I'm currently thinking:

* Bane appears in Zhentil Keep, destroying the temple. The High Imperceptor worries if that means Fzoul is favored.

I'm not sure this would be the High Imperceptor's conclusion. The opposite seems equally plausible: Bane is mightily displeased with Fzoul, and therefore smashes the place where Fzoul is statistically most likely to be at that very instant. Given the High Imperceptor's belief that Fzoul is a heretic, confirmation bias would make him likely to think that Bane is tired of Fzoul's treachery and intends to take personal control of the church in Zhentil Keep in order to put it back on the "straight & narrow."

quote:

* Manshoon and the other Zhentarim wizards find that their magic doesn't work right and are rightly worried about what that will mean for them. They try to hide this fact, but can't forever.

* Bane has Fzoul take full command of the Zhentarim. Fzoul demands all Zhentarim pledge to Bane.

Yep this makes sense; Bane doesn't have the patience to deal with many mortals face to face, so he directs Fzoul to do it. He knows that Fzoul will have a difficult time complying, due to his power struggles with Manshoon; it'll be a good test of Fzoul's underlying *ability* to follow Bane's command, regardless of his loyalty.

quote:

* Would Manshoon pledge? Would he flee? In either case, he gets as far away from Zhentil Keep as he can, possibly traveling to the Citadel of the Raven.

If Manshoon is aware that Bane is physically present in Zhentil Keep at this point (and he likely would be, because nobody sleeps through an avatar landing on the temple a few blocks away) then he probably pledges, while employing whatever magic is necessary to conceal his duplicity from Fzoul. Bane will likely not be physically present during this pledging, because he wants Fzoul to know he's on his own to follow orders and deal with the consequences. Handle it! So Manshoon doesn't have to worry about fooling Bane directly. (And Bane expects that he won't get Manshoon's true loyalty anyway.)

Yea, I believe Manshoon would leave Zhentil Keep, and the Citadel of the Raven is a likely destination despite not being all that far away. However, Manshoon wouldn't trust the Zhentarim and Zhentilar at the Citadel because of the point below, so he would probably just grab some important magic items and retire to a more secluded (secret) location.

quote:

* Fzoul quickly completes his inquisition. All remaining Zhentarim forces have pledged to Bane. Does Bane then use the Zhentarim to control the Moonsea? Does he have another force he should use instead?

I would think that some of Bane's servants would show up in Faerun to support him during the TOT. I don't recall anything saying nobody could plane shift into Realmspace during the TOT, so the loyalists among Bane's following should be showing up and the ambitious individuals among his most powerful servants should be watching for opportunities to backstab Bane and take his place. In canon, however, Bane is on his own and has only the forces of Zhentil Keep to command. A case could be made for using the Zhentilar for any military campaign, rather than the Zhentarim, because soldiers can be expected to be loyal to the money source and Bane could easily put his hands on the city's treasury. The average intelligence score in the Zhentarim being likely higher than the average intelligence in the Zhentilar (lots of wizards vs lots of fighters) means that the Zhentarim is more devious and unpredictable. So in my opinion, if he plans to take over the Moonsea, it makes more sense to use the Zhentilar.

quote:

* Does someone (High Imperceptor?) release Xvim with the hope that Xvim will supplant Bane?

I don't think there's any canon reason for anyone to believe that Xvim would act against Bane. He had acted on Bane's behalf, but never against him, in the past. Unless I'm missing something...

Of course that doesn't mean the High Imperceptor knows that. It's very possible that he's gotten erroneous or deliberately misleading information from his own ambitious underlings who wish to take his place. If the High Imperceptor believes that Xvim will be an ally to him, and believes that he has good information regarding where and how Xvim is being held, he might very well dispatch someone to free him.

Come to think of it, I don't remember why Xvim was being imprisoned in the first place. Woops.

quote:

* At some point does Fzoul attempt to destroy Manshoon's clones?

Sure, if he can do so with confidence that (1) Manshoon himself will be truly killed, or (2) If Manshoon survives, Fzoul won't be held responsible for the plot to kill him.
valarmorgulis Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 06:46:01
Yes and it sounds like it would have gotten progressively worse had the ToT not come to a relatively rapid end.

Back to Xvim. He was indeed imprisoned below Zhentil Keep during the ToT. I wonder if he, as a demigod, would actually be more powerful than Bane's avatar.

If Bane were to appear in Zhentil Keep and decide to unite the Moonsea under him, how would he handle Fzoul vs. the High Imperceptor? Does he favor one over the other? Would he have them compete with each other with the winner being his favored? Seems like that would waste resources.

How would the factions in the Zhentarim react to Bane's appearance? This is what I'm currently thinking:

* Bane appears in Zhentil Keep, destroying the temple. The High Imperceptor worries if that means Fzoul is favored.

* Manshoon and the other Zhentarim wizards find that their magic doesn't work right and are rightly worried about what that will mean for them. They try to hide this fact, but can't forever.

* Bane has Fzoul take full command of the Zhentarim. Fzoul demands all Zhentarim pledge to Bane.

* Would Manshoon pledge? Would he flee? In either case, he gets as far away from Zhentil Keep as he can, possibly traveling to the Citadel of the Raven.

* Fzoul quickly completes his inquisition. All remaining Zhentarim forces have pledged to Bane. Does Bane then use the Zhentarim to control the Moonsea? Does he have another force he should use instead?

* Does someone (High Imperceptor?) release Xvim with the hope that Xvim will supplant Bane?

* At some point does Fzoul attempt to destroy Manshoon's clones?
xaeyruudh Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 06:22:06
Hah I forgot about that table, in spite of the fact that I liked it. Great source of ideas for wand of wonder effects.

They're all symptoms of the gods being ousted from their homes and dumped on Faerun, tho. The Weave was sustained by Ao, but he (probably deliberately) didn't manage it as closely as Mystra did so it was a little finicky until Midnight ascended.
valarmorgulis Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 06:13:34
Looks like there was a Magical Chaos table that affected all spells, so not just wild magic and dead magic zones.
xaeyruudh Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 01:32:35
The spontaneous appearance/movements of wild magic and dead magic zones was the only real issue.

Magic did not fail completely while Mystra was an avatar, nor was there any kind of Spellplague-type effect when Helm killed her.

The explanation for magic still working during the ToT is "Ao." The same explanation would suffice for your campaign too, even if you kill/subsume Mystra.

If you let the demon princes "win" and Toril is fully glommed by the Abyss, then whatever mechanism allows magic to work in the outer planes would take over and enable magic to continue functioning on the new "Toril level."
valarmorgulis Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 00:05:55
This brings up another question, which is: how is arcane magic affected by the ToT? I recall that there was a wild magic table in the Shadowdale adventure. When Mystra is an avatar did magic work? What about if she dies? I don't recall magic completely failing when she was killed by Helm. What happens to magic as Toril is subsumed into the Abyss?
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 23:43:47
quote:

Some fun ideas you got there with the yugoloths. I was considering involving the Nine Hells, but didn't think of the 'loths. What's stopping the Seven Heavens from also getting involved? Not sure I want to focus too much on the Blood War since it could distract from other plots.

Keep in mind that all the gods are reduced to avatar status. So, it's more a question of: could Lolth's avatar take out the Srinshee.

I think you can use the devils, letting the Blood War be background DM knowledge. If you don't mention the Blood War, then it's not a distraction.

Right, I forgot about the ToT being concurrent... in that case the Srinshee would spank Lolth and send her home to mommy.

Now there's a distraction... who is Lolth's mom?

Nothing in particular stopping the upper planes from getting involved, except maybe prudence. Sometimes, like when multiple demon princes get personally involved, it's best to let the demons and devils fight each other. Agents of the upper planes would probably get involved though, as far as protecting/relocating certain mortal individuals who are important to Good objectives in Faerun, or (more likely) using visions and calling in favors to get adventurers to do so on their behalf. After all, Good is more likely to follow the Prime Directive of avoiding direct interference on the Material plane. In my opinion.

Edit: oi, the implication of the Srinshee killing Lolth... during the ToT, death in Faerun means Death, so Ao would give the Srinshee the option of taking Lolth's place... as patron goddess of the drow.
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:31:14
Some fun ideas you got there with the yugoloths. I was considering involving the Nine Hells, but didn't think of the 'loths. What's stopping the Seven Heavens from also getting involved? Not sure I want to focus too much on the Blood War since it could distract from other plots.

Keep in mind that all the gods are reduced to avatar status. So, it's more a question of: could Lolth's avatar take out the Srinshee.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:27:16
quote:

Well, sure. But I'd like to know the most "realistic" answer as well.

I think game mechanics points to Lolth being more powerful than the Srinshee. The Srinshee is probably a demipower, while the 3e FR book puts Lolth at intermediate power status.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:22:09
To complicate things, and in keeping with the outcome of all great demonic plots, I suggest that devils will become involved.

Perhaps the Srinshee isn't in the picture, at the beginning. She's been found and imprisoned by an arcanaloth or ultroloth, perhaps in retaliation against *her* retaliation for the initial fall of Myth Drannor. To oppose Lolth's infestation of present-day Myth Drannor, the PCs have to get an audience with this ancient yugoloth and offer it something it wants. (Something impossible for it to obtain by itself, like a diamond from the 7th Heaven, or whatever.) When the PCs accomplish that, the yugoloth releases the Srinshee. And it's realistic that it would actually release her, because the yugoloths are beings who create and honor contracts. As long as the PCs fulfill their commitment, it will hold up its end of the bargain.

The Srinshee can then rally the baelnorns and elves from all over Toril, plus eladrins from the upper planes, and so forth, far more effectively than any mortal elf could.

Of course, yugoloths also try to get as much benefit as they can out of every contract. And the juiciest benefit is watching demons and devils destroys themselves, gradually increasing the power of yugoloths. So the yugoloth "makes a call" to Dispater or Belial, and gives the devils a few pieces of information that the yugoloths have been holding onto, regarding the holdings of Lolth/Orcus/Grazzt/Tiamat in the Abyss as well as on Toril. A few truenames of major demons, and so forth.

Devils appear all over Faerun, both in areas controlled by the demon princes and in neighboring regions. This is where LE churches can join the fray in a productive way, leading and supporting armies of devils.

So are the PCs fighting demons, or devils? Are they freeing Toril, or damning it? Are they heroes, or instigators of the worst wars in history?

Yes.
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:13:13
Well, sure. But I'd like to know the most "realistic" answer as well. So, for example, if Lolth would easily overpower the Srinshee, then I'd want to think of some allies the Srinshee could bring in to defeat Lolth. That said, I'll probably allow the drow to take the ruins of Myth Drannor. With it still being ruins, I'm not even sure the Srinshee would attempt to defend it.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:03:04
quote:

I assume even the Srinshee and baelnorns wouldn't be able to stop Lolth and her minions from taking the ruins.

Depends entirely on the needs of your campaign, in my opinion.

If you want Lolth to win, then the Srinshee can't stop her.

If you want Lolth to lose, the Srinshee can stop her.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 22:01:18
quote:

Baphomet/minotaurs + dragon army is a bit too similar to Dragon Lance IMO. But Yeenoghu is perfect, can't believe I totally forgot about him. Would he be able to provide any sort of opposition to Tiamat and her dragons?

I agree that Yeenoghu is perfect, and especially after seeing the other demon princes get involved he would definitely jump in and try to get a piece of the Toril pie. Gnolls are all about the pie!

How about Malar in place of Baphomet? Maybe he's actually a demon masquerading as a god, maybe not, but it doesn't really matter. He's cunning rabid hunger, personified, and tearing up armies (dragons, people, whatever) is right up his alley. If it bleeds, Malar's licking his chops.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 21:56:52
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:

Siamorphe might even support him so long as he keeps nobles in power.

What if they convince him to try and subsume Evermeet instead of Toril? Maybe Lolth wants to help him do it, so that they become King & Queen of the Abyss, and bring all the Elves into the Abyss with them...

Siamorphe is Lawful, at least in canon, so I think she would have to be seduced or dominated in order to go along with Grazzt's plan. However, given Grazzt's nature, either of those are entirely possible.

I don't see Grazzt and Lolth helping each other (it's just not a CE thing to do), but it's totally possible that they feign an alliance, each trying to mislead each other and *pretending* to help the other while actually working toward destroying each other.
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 21:51:59
quote:

In that case I'd need some demon prince in the south to provide that threat. I was planning on putting Demogorgon in Chult, which is too far away. Maybe Eltab in Thay.

In canon, the South hasn't paid much attention to goings-on in the North for the past several centuries. That does not need to be the case in your Realms. Either way, it's entirely possible that Orcus taking over the Vaasa-Narfell swath of the North is enough to galvanize the south. Even if you're trying to stick to canon (outside of the demon princes specifically) Narfell attacked Mulhorand and Unther at least once in the past... and the southern empires have very long memories. If you have Eltab taking over Thay, that's *very* close, and guarantees some kind of military buildup across Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta. And Murghom, if they have the means. If they don't have the means, then Eltab might be taking control of Murghom as well.

quote:

With the Death Moon Orb and Thakorsil's Seat still in Larloch's possession, ... do the PCs need to get the artifacts from Larloch to use them?

I like this idea! Larloch has no real reason to be personally afraid of the demons or their masters as long as the Weave is intact, but threats to the Weave and perversions of Mystra (merging with Shar, Lolth, or Selune) would definitely predispose him in PCs' favor.
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 20:42:54
LOL. That will definitely be the derisive title given to it by adventurers in the Realms.

I assume even the Srinshee and baelnorns wouldn't be able to stop Lolth and her minions from taking the ruins.
Cyrinishad Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 20:39:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If Myth Drannor were to be conquered by the drow, what would they rename it?

Myth Drownor.

Ha! The Master of Mischief strikes again!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 20:37:35
quote:

Myth Drownor.
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 20:07:42
Baphomet/minotaurs + dragon army is a bit too similar to Dragon Lance IMO. But Yeenoghu is perfect, can't believe I totally forgot about him. Would he be able to provide any sort of opposition to Tiamat and her dragons?

Cyrinishad Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:52:36
quote:

In that case I'd need some demon prince in the south to provide that threat. I was planning on putting Demogorgon in Chult, which is too far away. Maybe Eltab in Thay.

With the Death Moon Orb and Thakorsil's Seat still in Larloch's possession, who does he bind? Or do the PCs need to get the artifacts from Larloch to use them?

Put Baphomet and Yeenoghu in the South... I can see Gnolls, Minotaurs, and Were-Beasts running rampant over the South... Before the Dragons swoop in.
Cyrinishad Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:50:38
quote:

I'm curious about how Grazz't's presence in Waterdeep changes things. I've read that one of Grazz't's big plans is to subsume a world into the Abyss, so perhaps he is driving that part of it. Siamorphe might even support him so long as he keeps nobles in power.

What if they convince him to try and subsume Evermeet instead of Toril? Maybe Lolth wants to help him do it, so that they become King & Queen of the Abyss, and bring all the Elves into the Abyss with them...
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:46:40

With the Death Moon Orb and Thakorsil's Seat still in Larloch's possession, who does he bind? Or do the PCs need to get the artifacts from Larloch to use them?
Cyrinishad Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Alternatively, Bane could put Iyachtu in charge of Zhentil Keep -- or Mulmaster, for another twist. Either way the Zhentarim remains a sinister force from the Moonsea to the Sword Coast. If Iyachtu rules Zhentil Keep, then Fzoul rises to great importance and Manshoon keeps a low profile -- maybe he relocates to Voonlar or Daggerdale and changes the political situation there. If Iyachtu rules Mulmaster, Zhentil Keep remains basically ruled by the Zhentarim and both ends of the Moonsea are under the heavy hand of Bane.

Yeah, I think having Xvim & the Zhentarim taking control of Mulmaster to "protect" the holy place that Bane fell to Toril when he was cast out of the heavens, and trying to unify the cities of the Moonsea against the Demon Lords helps reinforce the concept of Bane as a possible savior of the Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

It seems reasonable to me that dragons would be disturbed (and some routed from their lairs) by the influx of demons. Many of them might be open to Tiamat's implied or explicit command to retake the Realms for the glory of dragonkind.

You could roll out 3e's Tchazzar as Tiamat's champion and enforcer, making her "pitch" to various dragons far more effective.

Definitely. Imaging that what the Realms needs is a supremely powerful Red Dragon to save it from the Demon Lords, is tremendous.
valarmorgulis Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:41:04
Hmmm... yes, I could see the endgame for Shar and Mystra being that they combine with Selune into one after Lolth betrays Shar and wrests complete control over the Shadowweave... possibly with Selune participating out of fear that Shar's darkness would overtake Mystra over time... we'll see.

I generally dislike Xvim because of his weird name, but this might be a good opportunity for him to play an interesting role.

I see Bane or Xvim as being the bulwark against Orcus, somewhat justifying his worship.

I'm curious about how Grazz't's presence in Waterdeep changes things. I've read that one of Grazz't's big plans is to subsume a world into the Abyss, so perhaps he is driving that part of it. Siamorphe might even support him so long as he keeps nobles in power.

I like the idea of Tiamat providing stability to Unther. I'm thinking a new southern empire here.

Cyrinishad Posted - 07 Jun 2017 : 19:27:30
quote:

Well, I'd like to keep the focus on the Demon Princes rather than the dark gods as the primary evils. I'll be DMing a solo campaign with a friend and he might play a former blackguard of Bane, and he has expressed a desire that his character be dealing with a huge sense of loss. Bane's death would provide that. Also, I like the idea of the Baneliches squabbling with each other, and the repercussions that Bane's death would have on the Zhentarim. That said, I don't imagine Bane will stay dead forever. Before his death, he will conquer all of the Moonsea, although I'm not sure if he would use the Zhentarim to do so.

I've changed Bane's portfolio to center around "might" more than hatred and strife. I want him to be an evil god that would actually appeal to a significant number of people. Compared to say, Loviatar or even Shar, who really have little reason to be worshiped.

Wasn't Iyachtu imprisoned at this time? I suppose someone could release him.

Yes, I think I'll have Shar and Lolth team up or combine. Possibly to create a Shadowweave, since who weaves better than the Weaver herself?. Mystra might drain the Chosen in order to keep the Weave from being overtaken by the Shadoweave (thinking of it more like a parasite or virus than a completely separate Weave).

I'll need to do some research on Tchazzar, but sounds promising.

I just saw this after I wrote my previous post, so we're totally on the same page with Bane as a potential foil to the Demon Lords, excellent.

Maybe have Xvim remain imprisoned... Or maybe Xvim was released when Orcus launched an attack on Zhentil Keep? Xvim flees to the Ruins of Myth Drannor (both potential plot-points for a former Blackguard of Bane).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000