Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Latest LYSK: Mezro not destroyed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KanzenAU Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 02:13:14
The latest Lore You Should Know podcast has revealed that Mezro was not in fact destroyed - it was in fact a ruse. In the Spellplague, Mezro protected itself and shifted into a demiplane (presumably through the power of Ubtao). The "ruined city" left behind is in fact a ruse, presumably because the forces that shifted the city into the demiplane wished Mezro to return to a "lost city" status, unaccessible like it was long ago.

It wasn't discussed in much depth, but I imagine since the next adventure is likely to be in Chult, the new adventure will give more information. For those more out of the loop, things have been building towards a Chult-Acecerak fused adventure for a while - but I guess we'll find out either way sometime today.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sfdragon Posted - 15 Jun 2017 : 02:14:36
speaking of chult. the next online neverwinter expansion is in chult.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Jun 2017 : 18:18:22
The Forgotten Realms of Cyric's Madness...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2017 : 17:31:42
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Meh, just reboot the Setting already. I do like the Idea that the 4E Realms(Post 1385) are a Vision in Cyric's mind...

I'd not object to Cyric being just a fever dream, myself.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Jun 2017 : 17:08:29
Meh, just reboot the Setting already. I do like the Idea that the 4E Realms(Post 1385) are a Vision in Cyric's mind...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 16:49:34
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I would like to see that Ras Ni used his Paladin of Ubtao powers to make Mezro seem overrun with undead to keep the people out, but it was always there and fine and hidden. That would have been a better storyline than it magically shifted away (like Evermeet) but now is back with no consequences. I agree with Wooly, I'd prefer a reboot to OGB rather than this constant deus ex machina explanation of why everyone and everything survived the Smellplague/timejump/

Wouldn't it be a fun twist if it was all on Ras Nsi? Maybe he hid Mezro away, in a pocket dimension, in a misguided attempt to protect the city; the undead-haunted ruins were a replica to help keep Mezro hidden. And it's only been in the last year or so that the people of Mezro (perhaps with Artus Cimber's help) were able to recall their city from that pocket dimension.

Perhaps the effort to hide Mezro was too much for Ras Nsi; he succumbed in the attempt, and wasn't able to reverse the effect. The people of Mezro had to wait for the right bara to be born to free the city.

Sure, this is shades of Shade, here, but it's building on what we've been given, and adding a twist based on prior Realmslore.
Seravin Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 15:10:35
I would like to see that Ras Ni used his Paladin of Ubtao powers to make Mezro seem overrun with undead to keep the people out, but it was always there and fine and hidden. That would have been a better storyline than it magically shifted away (like Evermeet) but now is back with no consequences. I agree with Wooly, I'd prefer a reboot to OGB rather than this constant deus ex machina explanation of why everyone and everything survived the Smellplague/timejump/
Cyrinishad Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 14:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I disliked that they trashed Mezro for 4E... But this explanation is lame and over-used.

Of course, flipping it to Abeir or having it fall and be reclaimed are also over-used tropes, now. I really don't see a great alternative.

WotC needs to stop trying to have their cake and eat it, too, and just reset everything from scratch and start over.

Having it returned UNCHANGED by being in Abeir I would stress. The stuff I'm writing up returns territories, but they aren't the same. That's what I see as key. Improve the places involved.

As usual, I'm not particularly bothered by the 1e/2e reset approach that WotC is continuing with (it's where we all want to be playing our games anyway, and we should just presume all of 4e took place in Cyric's head)... But, I totally agree that they're missing out on huge creative opportunities by bringing things back "unchanged" as a default... I don't have any need for constant RSEs, but I don't want the Realms to feel static or frozen in place. I hope they can find the middle ground on that, now that they've brought people back to the game.
Zeromaru X Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 14:32:44
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Surely they should have decided this *before* they wrote that it was ruined and full of undead in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

This forum needs a like buttom
KanzenAU Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 10:17:12
quote:

Surely they should have decided this *before* they wrote that it was ruined and full of undead in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

I think this is actually all interconnected, and 100% intentional. The not-ruined Mezro is a ruse, because the inhabitants of the true Mezro want it to stay hidden. And undead are likely to be a big feature of this Acererak adventure. How to get to the true Mezro is unclear at the moment.
Edit: correction.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 04:18:33
quote:

Well, you could say that it's only in the last year that it's returned, so word is only now getting out that Mezro isn't ruined.
hashimashadoo Posted - 12 Jun 2017 : 03:48:28
KanzenAU Posted - 04 Jun 2017 : 03:08:05
I'm not hearing that it went to Abeir - it sounds like it shifted into its own demiplane. Probs have to wait for the new adventure to know for sure though.
sleyvas Posted - 04 Jun 2017 : 02:26:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I disliked that they trashed Mezro for 4E... But this explanation is lame and over-used.

Of course, flipping it to Abeir or having it fall and be reclaimed are also over-used tropes, now. I really don't see a great alternative.

WotC needs to stop trying to have their cake and eat it, too, and just reset everything from scratch and start over.

Having it returned UNCHANGED by being in Abeir I would stress. The stuff I'm writing up returns territories, but they aren't the same. That's what I see as key. Improve the places involved.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 17:50:05
At least we haven't seen an 'Angelweave' yet. (I picture it full of rainbows and unicorns LMAO).

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

And yet again another RSE. A powerful curse threatens the sword coast (which is the entirety of the detailed realms in 5e) causing the dead to rise again.
Wait... WHAT? Are you saying they are planning some sort of.. 'zombie apocalypse'?

Thats brilliant! Wow, these guys are GOOD! Why haven't movies, comics, and TV thought of doing something like THAT?

I hope I can be as 'creative' as a WotC employee when I grow up {biting sarcasm}

Oh, and the whole Chult/Acererak thing sounds an awful lot like what Paizo did with Savage Tide. I think they're just taking Eric Boyd's conversion notes and respinning stuff. There was also a set of side-missions in one of the Neverwinter games that took you down to Samarach, so they may be using some of that as well (it had to do with Yuan-ti, IIRC).

I'm not really complaining, though (believe it or not). Just pointing out the obvious, is all. I am just glad to see them doing FR stuff in 5e, and that they are at least trying to move away from the Sword Coast North (that Neverwinter Nights module had a portal that lead there from the edge of the Mere of Dead Men - its marked as 'Old Tomb' on the very bottom of my Nentir/FR conversion map). I hope they use that, instead of creating another - even if it is VG canon, I'd prefer them making it regular canon, than having them create more redundancy.

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 17:47:13

TBeholder Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 11:00:12
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I hope they at least try to do something interesting with that rather over-used McGufffin plot-device. "It escaped into another dimension and was hiding the whole time."

Are we talking about the same people who in a bout of copycat flu creativity came up with Demonweave?
Gary Dallison Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 10:07:21
And yet again another RSE. A powerful curse threatens the sword coast (which is the entirety of the detailed realms in 5e) causing the dead to rise again.

I wonder what kewl stuff they will put in this time. Vampire T Rexs, a flying city of intelligent dinosaurs that shoot laser beams from their eyes or bottoms (depending on whether this is aimed at 10 year olds or 13 year olds).

And yes i know i will be told and wait to see it before bashing it but its been 5 or 6 of these releases now and they are all like that.
Zeromaru X Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 09:50:13
quote:

Wait... so nothing really happened to Mezro and its exactly as it was in 1e/2e?

Geeeeeeeee... what a surprise.

Yeah, I didn't saw that coming... for the fourth, fifth time?
KanzenAU Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 03:39:59
quote:

At least we know why Ed's over playing in Lapaliya, and why we are hearing about Acererak (he had some sort of connection to Chult, IIRC). Nice to see them at least trying to step outside of 'The North' for their APs.

There was something in "Hero" about Acererak having something to do with Chult if I recall. The Ring of Winter and Artus Cimber were both mentioned in "Storm King's Thunder", and there is a teaser pic on the D&D website with dinosaurs in the middle of a city, and this LYSK was just released a day or so before the big announcement - all signs point to Chult.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 03:15:34
Wait... so nothing really happened to Mezro and its exactly as it was in 1e/2e?

Geeeeeeeee... what a surprise.

I don't think my heart can take any more of this amazing announcements.

I hope they at least try to do something interesting with that rather over-used McGufffin plot-device. "It escaped into another dimension and was hiding the whole time." Maybe make it so its half in this dimension, half in the other, so the people appear as 'ghosts' most of the time (requiring magic, or the wearing of some eldritch talisman, or even entering the city at a specific time, just to be 'in sync' with Mezro). Something like that. Anything but, "Surprise! Its back again!"

And I guess that means Chult is back to being glued to the continent-proper. What a shame - it was one of the few geographic changes I embraced. {sigh}

At least we know why Ed's over playing in Lapaliya, and why we are hearing about Acererak (he had some sort of connection to Chult, IIRC). Nice to see them at least trying to step outside of 'The North' for their APs.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000