Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 31 Dec 2016 : 14:06:22
Well met

This being a continued collection of scrolls of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a master who needs no introduction, namely - Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.

Ed's works include MANY FR sourcebooks and numerous novels, such as Cormyr: A Novel, Spellfire, Silverfall, The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy and The Elminster Series, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

For previous entries of the many, many writings of lore by Ed, please see the 2016 entries in this collection of scrolls, the 2015 entries here, the 2014 entries here, the 2013 entries here, the 2012 entries here, the 2011 entries here, the 2010 entries here, the 2009 entries here the 2008 entries here, the 2007 entries here, the 2006 entries here, the 2005 entries here, and the 2004 entries here. 'ware, these run into over 80 pages, ye may be reading for some time. For a concise read of Ed's replies, visit the "So Saith Ed" page on the Candlekeep site.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Dec 2017 : 16:12:25
Happy Holidays to both THO and Ed.

My apologies if this has been asked and answered in the past, but I recently came across the copy of Ed's 'One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta' and it got me wondering how much of the old short stories and other bits of writing not published is out there to read through.

I've long wanted to get my grubby little fingers on a pre-editor-cut-up version of Spellfire for example; I remember Ed saying somewhere (maybe in a post here) that there was about 1/3 of that book cut out eliminating all the subplots and scheming of the mighty NPC, Zhents, and malaugrym.

I also noted in that short story a casual reference to a serpent - Elaith perhaps? Did Ed write stories about him way back when?

Thanks as always for your time and have a wonderfully spirits-filled New Year!
Allowind Posted - 08 Dec 2017 : 05:47:12
Dear Ed, I'm sorry that I'm bothering you, but I'm very interested in the fate of Field Ward (Waterdeep) in the 5e.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide mentions the former district MistShore as destroyed during the harbor clearing, but the Field Ward as existing. But in your novel 'Death Masks' both Mistshor and Field Ward are destroyed by dragon fire. Could you clarify their fate?
TBeholder Posted - 27 Nov 2017 : 04:46:38
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT3:
Oh, and to answer your question ZeromaruX - that scene takes place IN Aurora's shop, I believe. Since I don't remember the characters ever leaving Westgate, I guess she personally manages the store in Westgate herself in the 4e/5e timeframe.

However, as an FR aficionado, I would say it is far more likely that she still 'moves about', from store to store, checking on things, and the characters just so happen to 'coincidentally' run into Aurora herself.

Wasn't it the whole point that her shops are linked via teleport circles?
sleyvas Posted - 24 Nov 2017 : 03:53:46
quote:

Actually - and don't quote me on this - I recall someone, who was at least somewhat official, saying Aurora herself was still alive, but quite old and tired.
I don't even know where or how I could have heard that - I don't even do the podcast thing, and don't bother with twitter. It may have even been in a dream (which is why I say don't quote me on it).

And as I just typed that, my brain flashed 'type', as in, 'you read this', but it is so vague I can't pinpoint it. If it wasn't in a dream, then it would have to be in only three 5e sources I own.

EDIT:
Okay, after checking the Wiki, I'm going to have to go with "it was in Shadowbane: Eye of Justice", which I just read recently. I hadn't even thought of that one - chalk one up for the FRwiki (and since its Kindle, I might even be able to run a search for the words... tomorrow).

EDIT2: Coudln't possibly tell you the pg.# on a Kindle, but it says I'm 65% through the book. Here's a relevant passage:
quote:
"Aurora", Ilira said."Far too long indeed."
They exchanged a kiss of greeting, although they did so without touching one another. Myrin thought this Aurora was well aware of Ilira's spellscar.
"Aurora, let me present Lady Myrin Darkdance."
"I am honored." The old woman gave the wizard a cool, appraising glance. Her face was a maze of wrinkles, leading to bright, shining eyes like jewels in the heart of the labyrinth. Myrin thought she was searching her features in minute detail.

This is circa 4e, so like post-1479 DR, or some-such. I forgot she actually makes a cameo in the book.

Hope that helps.

EDIT3:
Oh, and to answer your question ZeromaruX - that scene takes place IN Aurora's shop, I believe. Since I don't remember the characters ever leaving Westgate, I guess she personally manages the store in Westgate herself in the 4e/5e timeframe.

However, as an FR aficionado, I would say it is far more likely that she still 'moves about', from store to store, checking on things, and the characters just so happen to 'coincidentally' run into Aurora herself.

Personally, I'd have it that Aurora manages ALL of her shops. By that I'm making an assumption that she's never been detailed, OR if she was that she's a high level wizard or sorcerer. I'd then have her using simulacrums in her shops.... or possibly a specialized form of awakened programmed illusion.... Anyway, not canon, but the idea popped in my head.
DenverJack Posted - 24 Nov 2017 : 01:27:41
Happy (American) Thanksgiving everyone
Markustay Posted - 04 Nov 2017 : 05:45:44
Actually - and don't quote me on this - I recall someone, who was at least somewhat official, saying Aurora herself was still alive, but quite old and tired.
I don't even know where or how I could have heard that - I don't even do the podcast thing, and don't bother with twitter. It may have even been in a dream (which is why I say don't quote me on it).

And as I just typed that, my brain flashed 'type', as in, 'you read this', but it is so vague I can't pinpoint it. If it wasn't in a dream, then it would have to be in only three 5e sources I own.

EDIT:
Okay, after checking the Wiki, I'm going to have to go with "it was in Shadowbane: Eye of Justice", which I just read recently. I hadn't even thought of that one - chalk one up for the FRwiki (and since its Kindle, I might even be able to run a search for the words... tomorrow).

EDIT2: Coudln't possibly tell you the pg.# on a Kindle, but it says I'm 65% through the book. Here's a relevant passage:
quote:
"Aurora", Ilira said."Far too long indeed."
They exchanged a kiss of greeting, although they did so without touching one another. Myrin thought this Aurora was well aware of Ilira's spellscar.
"Aurora, let me present Lady Myrin Darkdance."
"I am honored." The old woman gave the wizard a cool, appraising glance. Her face was a maze of wrinkles, leading to bright, shining eyes like jewels in the heart of the labyrinth. Myrin thought she was searching her features in minute detail.

This is circa 4e, so like post-1479 DR, or some-such. I forgot she actually makes a cameo in the book.

Hope that helps.

EDIT3:

Zeromaru X Posted - 03 Nov 2017 : 10:08:50
This is canon in my Realms, now
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Nov 2017 : 03:21:38
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Hi Ed and dear THO. I'm came here to bother you with another question

Is Aurora's Emporium still in operation in the 1480s? If yes, who runs in? Perhaps some Aurora's descendant? Or is still Aurora in charge, having survived the century a la Volo or Durnan?

Thanks in advance.

Her daughter Borealis runs it, now.
Zeromaru X Posted - 03 Nov 2017 : 01:56:40
Hi Ed and dear THO. I'm came here to bother you with another question

Is Aurora's Emporium still in operation in the 1480s? If yes, who runs in? Perhaps some Aurora's descendant? Or is still Aurora in charge, having survived the century a la Volo or Durnan?

Thanks in advance.
Markustay Posted - 27 Oct 2017 : 09:52:33
Thanks for that bit, George - I'll add that to my notes.

@Hoondatha - I certainly couldn't answer that (not that you want me to), but I can tell you this from everything I've learned from making maps: Quality of ore also means a lot. Now, I've read they have very good iron ore up around the Moonsea, but for some reason I have a hard time (as well) thinking the Zhents are pulling better ore out of their mines then the dwarves, who can dig MUCH deeper, and have been doing so for thousands of years.

We also have lore about the Iron Throne moving weapons in the opposite direction... you'd think some of those ore-hungry smiths would move out of The North and start making stuff in the weapon-hungry eastern heartlands instead. I don't think the problem is with the Zhents, I think the problem lies with FR having a lot of VERY stupid smiths all living on the wrong side of the desert.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Oct 2017 : 16:02:48
quote:

Hey Ed (and THO), I've been doing a bunch of 'divine' research as of late into RW mythology and folklore, and I found there was an 'errata' of sorts regarding the Celtic pantheon in the original Deities & Demigods in issue #65 of Dragon Magazine (one of the major things it changes is it makes Oghma more of a warrior-god, because supposedly, thats closer to the myths). I'm actually trying to build an extended Fey/Elven pantheon ATM.

But that not why I am here. After the article, the very next article in that same issue happens to be by a chap named Ed Greenwood, pertaining to laws and governments. And therein, you mention YOUR Forgotten Realms (as you've often done, prior to its purchase by TSR). So, I have a couple of geography questions from that -

1) You mention "The Imperial city of Waterdeep" - was that just you just trying to let the readers know 'its impressive', or was it really 'Imperial' (meaning, there was an empire attached to it) in YOUR Realms.

2)"Many types or structures of governments exist, some of them quite novel. DMs should also remember that the “king” of Aluphin may command mighty hosts of warriors and speak with authority backed by gods, whereas the “king” of the adjacent realm of Berdusk may be only a war leader whose rule extends as far as the swordpoints of his bodyguards." Berdusk we know is a real place (in the Realms), but what of Aluphin? Was there such a place, or was that just fabricated for the article?

3)You mention a city of 'Zeluthin' (which doesn't sound familiar to me, but I could be wrong) where they have a weird way of 'torturing' political prisoners (tying them to bars of the cell facing inward, etc.) Is Zeluthin in The Realms?

And one non-geography question - you mention the entire plot revolving around Doust Sulwood (and his sudden 'rise to power') - did anything ever come of the drow allying with Githyanki? I don't ever recall hearing about Githyanki in the Shadowdale region before. I have a feeling THO will be able to help with this one.

Ed sent me this a while ago when I queried him on the exact same article:

Zeluthin, Aluphin, and of course Berdusk were all in the Realms, an independent city and two tiny realms that dwindled into . . . just the independent city of Berdusk. They were all part of the many, many attempts to establish kingdoms in the interior Heartlands, kingdoms that seldom lasted long because of brigands, internal dissent, and persistent hobgoblin, bugbear, gnoll, orc, and goblin raids (which could really "go to town" on hard targets like realms with borders, uniformed defenders, and the like, instead of just raiding individual homesteads). Aluphin was a rival of Berdusk, and was nearby to the west of Berdusk, Berdusk the realm was centered on Berdusk the city and just shrank, and Zeluthin was to the northwest of both. All long-vanished now (I'll have to dredge up my notes, but I'm thinking they existed in the 1100s DR, flourished in the early 1200s DR, and were more or less down to their present state by the end of that century).

-- George Krashos
Hoondatha Posted - 25 Oct 2017 : 10:07:00
Hey Ed, I have a question about the Zhentarim. From the start, the Zhentarim's reason for being is to move metal and ore from the Moonsea to the Sword Coast by the fastest route possible, and to bring Sword Coast goods back to the Moonsea and surrounding areas.

The second part, I understand completely. I'm a little more confused about the first part. Why is it less expensive to move Moonsea metals thousands of miles than to mine them locally? We're not talking about low-weight, high value things like spices here.

I'm assuming the Zhents are mostly concerned with the "classical" metals: gold, silver, copper, tin, lead, and iron. While I'm assuming the Moonsea also has most of the Realms' exotic metals (mithril, adamantine, arandur, etc.) and gemstones, I don't see those as major Zhent products; they'd want to use those for themselves.

The Zhent trade routes would make sense of the rest of Faerun was metal-poor, but it's the opposite. For instance, one of the major nodes of the Zhent trade route is Hill's Edge, which is itself a major iron mining and smithing center. In the North, where the Zhents are trying to trade out of Llorkh, you have cities that tend to either be founded on mines (Mirabar) or in former dwarf-holds with dwarf mines (Sundabar). And you have existing dwarf mines who export metals (Adbar).

Put all of that together and I don't see a large enough need for iron in the west to justify the Zhent trade routes. And while tin, copper, or lead might all be somewhat rare in the west, the profit margin on those would just be too small. And would the Zhents really be sending entire caravans thousands of miles loaded with nothing but gold and silver? That would make them the target of every dragon, not to say brigand, in the entire world.

I'm obviously missing something here. And since I've been running a game out of Hill's Edge for the past year or so, the inconsistency between what the Zhents are doing and my mental math is starting to bug me. Could you please shed some light on the subject? Many thanks, as always.
Markustay Posted - 25 Oct 2017 : 00:58:02
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Hi, dear Ed and THO (and anyone who can help me here).

I'm curious about how divination magic works in Abeir-Toril. I've already searched for a similar question in old scrolls but so far I've found nothing, so here we go.

When someone uses divination magic to predict the future, is she seeing into a "fixed timeline" to see set in stone future events (so, is something you cannot change unless you can alter the timeline), or is seeing just one possibility of stuff that can happen, with the more powerful diviners being able to "calculate" potential futures with more accuracy than your average level 1 wizard?
I can help with this one somewhat. We KNOW FR's history has 'diverged' at least once (when the Elves cast THEIR Sundering), but that's not quite the same thing. It just lets us know "the world was one way, and now its a different way", which means the future is not fixed (unless we proscribe to Doctor Who's 'Fixed Points', and TSR's Chronomancer alludes to much the same thing - certain things you CAN'T change - the timeline will 'right itself', one way or another).

But much more importantly, there is a scene in one of the Haunted Lands novels (that I haven't gotten up to yet) where Szass Tam casts a powerful ritual to see multiple outcomes of the timeline - I think he was able to see five possible results, IIRC (recalling from conversations had YEARS ago, not from my recent reading). It was extremely 'taxing' for him to do so, and I believed it was explained that even his powerful mind could only handle seeing a few all at once.

And now that I think about it, the Red Wizards did something similar to the Tuigan - showed them two different possible 'futures' (but that may have just been illusions to fool the Tuigan).
Markustay Posted - 25 Oct 2017 : 00:46:23
Hey Ed (and THO), I've been doing a bunch of 'divine' research as of late into RW mythology and folklore, and I found there was an 'errata' of sorts regarding the Celtic pantheon in the original Deities & Demigods in issue #65 of Dragon Magazine (one of the major things it changes is it makes Oghma more of a warrior-god, because supposedly, thats closer to the myths). I'm actually trying to build an extended Fey/Elven pantheon ATM.

But that not why I am here. After the article, the very next article in that same issue happens to be by a chap named Ed Greenwood, pertaining to laws and governments. And therein, you mention YOUR Forgotten Realms (as you've often done, prior to its purchase by TSR). So, I have a couple of geography questions from that -

1) You mention "The Imperial city of Waterdeep" - was that just you just trying to let the readers know 'its impressive', or was it really 'Imperial' (meaning, there was an empire attached to it) in YOUR Realms.

2)"Many types or structures of governments exist, some of them quite novel. DMs should also remember that the “king” of Aluphin may command mighty hosts of warriors and speak with authority backed by gods, whereas the “king” of the adjacent realm of Berdusk may be only a war leader whose rule extends as far as the swordpoints of his bodyguards." Berdusk we know is a real place (in the Realms), but what of Aluphin? Was there such a place, or was that just fabricated for the article?

3)You mention a city of 'Zeluthin' (which doesn't sound familiar to me, but I could be wrong) where they have a weird way of 'torturing' political prisoners (tying them to bars of the cell facing inward, etc.) Is Zeluthin in The Realms?

And one non-geography question - you mention the entire plot revolving around Doust Sulwood (and his sudden 'rise to power') - did anything ever come of the drow allying with Githyanki? I don't ever recall hearing about Githyanki in the Shadowdale region before. I have a feeling THO will be able to help with this one.
Zeromaru X Posted - 24 Oct 2017 : 23:41:42
Hi, dear Ed and THO (and anyone who can help me here).

I'm curious about how divination magic works in Abeir-Toril. I've already searched for a similar question in old scrolls but so far I've found nothing, so here we go.

When someone uses divination magic to predict the future, is she seeing into a "fixed timeline" to see set in stone future events (so, is something you cannot change unless you can alter the timeline), or is seeing just one possibility of stuff that can happen, with the more powerful diviners being able to "calculate" potential futures with more accuracy than your average level 1 wizard?

Thanks in advance!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2017 : 04:23:26
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

what is or are the League of Samathar. and for that amtter who is samathar?
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/504_DR

The link answers the first question: "the rebellious cities of Wizards' Reach, now known as the the League of Samathar."
sfdragon Posted - 21 Oct 2017 : 03:52:00
what is or are the League of Samathar. and for that amtter who is samathar?
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/504_DR
Yslanderon Posted - 20 Oct 2017 : 22:15:27
Hi i'm new to the forum so not sure if it's the right place to ask this 2 questions, but here it goes:

1- Would Bhaal, in the Baldurs Gate saga games, choose a tiefling to mate; creating an offspring with both demonic and devine power? I ask this question because, i've decide to play Baldurs Gate Reloaded mod on NWN2 engine, and the tiefling race drew my attention this time. The problem of choosing this race, as i saw it, is that its lineage traces back to some big shot in the lower realms. So i'm not sure if said being would then, somehow, hold claim or control over the Bhaalspawn's devine legacy.

2- This one relates to the Mask of the Betrayer campaign from NWN2. The evil ending, has you taking control over the spirit eater curse, (with the help of Myrkul's essence that you devoured) and becoming a strange being, as Kelemvor put it: "a twisted mockery of a God". My question is what has the spirit eater become at this point? a demi-god? He exhibits god-like powers and can kill Gods as well. Some called him to be akin to an Elder Evil. At that point he can devour the spirit, the soul and the essence of anything, even Gods; at will.
https://youtu.be/YyJ6iheshZc?t=40

Also i can't help but to congratulate you, Ed, and all the others who have dedicated so much of their time to make FR what it is now. I've become of big fan of all the lore that it has, and even found myself (sometimes), giving in to that childish feeling that perhaps even a fraction of all those fantastic things... might actually exist.
lsls Posted - 18 Oct 2017 : 14:33:02
Hello Ed and the wonderful THO,
First,I apologize for my non-standard English,hope you can understand what I'm talking about

I have some questions about the Chosen.

FRCG [pg. 72] states that "The post-Spellplague world includes no Chosen who are not exarchs." and in the Exarchs Table [pg. 81] there were only 3 known Chosen(Clangeddin Silverbeard ,Fzoul and Obould) of 37 Exarchs.

I assumed FRCG were around 1479DR and above-mentioned were all right,then what state of many other Chosen(e.g., El, The Simbu, Malik, Shadowmoon Crystalembers and Amlaruil,etc.) at that time?

My friend consider all of Chosen were ascend to the rank of exarch/demigod because "no Chosen who are not exarchs". But I didn't agree with him or the Exarchs Table would list them in.

I thought that state only means any Chosen who survived and could still be considered Chosen at that time were Exarchs/Demigods instead. Chosen like El,The Simbul and Malik were no longer Chosen, nor Exarchs, just normal(but more powerful) NPCs.As for how they lost their Chosen status, maybe the Spellplague ruined the Weave also somehow ended the connection between those Ex-Chosen and their deity,maybe gods withdrawal their divine patch from the Chosen,or maybe this was involved in a big NDA

Could you share your opinion about them?

And another question: Did any Non-Chosen of Mystra can possess/wield silver fire? If yes,then who they were/are?

Thank you very much.
AJA Posted - 13 Oct 2017 : 03:30:38
Thankee and (belated) Thanksgiving, Lady Hooded. I hope Ed and his wife were well enough to celebrate with family this year?

And another Realms query, when you both have the chance; Talashamber of the Flame Tabard (VGtW, p.205). Such a grand sobriquet! Is this "Flame Tabard" a nod to an ancient family sigil? A powerful magic device? A self-given appellation (and costume) designed to drum up interest in his services?

....Or reference to having been doused in zzar and set alight after one too many "sarcastic ditties"?

Also, anything else you can share about him, if you would.
The Hooded One Posted - 12 Oct 2017 : 17:42:35
Hello again, everyone.
AJA, sides of her torso, down to and including points of hips (uppermost curves of hips).
Re. Old Lord Roar: Ed saith: "Hah! I WISH. ;}"
So there you have it.
More when Ed isn't so frantically busy.
love to all,
THO
The Red Walker Posted - 11 Oct 2017 : 21:21:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

That'd be because I'm busy with work, and Ed is increasingly busy nursing his wife (as well as his THREE other full-time jobs!).
However, he still replies when he can, this time to AJA (see the post above on this page), whereto Ed saith:

Ilyth is a middle-aged, supple half-elf who lost a spell-duel, and in doing so acquired octopus-like tentacles that she has learned to manipulate as prehensile limbs in addition to her arms and legs. The nature of her magical curse is that these tentacles regrow if severed, causing her great pain (and "starving hunger," as her body craves raw material to build them with; Ilyth has been known to devour entire roast oxen by herself). Shunned by former friends and acquaintances because the victor in the duel spread the (false) rumour that Ilyth's curse was contagious, she had to build a new life in expensive Waterdeep. Fearful of her chances of survival if she tried to dwell in Skullport, she considered her love of sex and flirtation, and hit upon a new way of earning a living. The 'Gentle' comes from her preference for using her multiple tentacles--at least nine in number; whenever one is severed, two grow from the stump--to stimulate all at once, so aged, overweight, disabled, weary, or merely lazy clientele can 'lie there and enjoy it.' Ilyth truly enjoys her work, and so works long hours and makes much coin. Elminster deems her "one of the smartest folk in Waterdeep, not to mention kind...and discreet."

So there you have it. More when Ed sends it; I do shuttle all of your queries his way. (Gelcur, there's an outstanding NDA hampering him replying to your Undermountain query, so we'll see...)
love,
THO

Never thought I'd see hentacles in the Realms.

There is a Kevin Sorbo running round the realms with tentacles????
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Oct 2017 : 23:42:21
quote:

That'd be because I'm busy with work, and Ed is increasingly busy nursing his wife (as well as his THREE other full-time jobs!).
However, he still replies when he can, this time to AJA (see the post above on this page), whereto Ed saith:

Ilyth is a middle-aged, supple half-elf who lost a spell-duel, and in doing so acquired octopus-like tentacles that she has learned to manipulate as prehensile limbs in addition to her arms and legs. The nature of her magical curse is that these tentacles regrow if severed, causing her great pain (and "starving hunger," as her body craves raw material to build them with; Ilyth has been known to devour entire roast oxen by herself). Shunned by former friends and acquaintances because the victor in the duel spread the (false) rumour that Ilyth's curse was contagious, she had to build a new life in expensive Waterdeep. Fearful of her chances of survival if she tried to dwell in Skullport, she considered her love of sex and flirtation, and hit upon a new way of earning a living. The 'Gentle' comes from her preference for using her multiple tentacles--at least nine in number; whenever one is severed, two grow from the stump--to stimulate all at once, so aged, overweight, disabled, weary, or merely lazy clientele can 'lie there and enjoy it.' Ilyth truly enjoys her work, and so works long hours and makes much coin. Elminster deems her "one of the smartest folk in Waterdeep, not to mention kind...and discreet."

So there you have it. More when Ed sends it; I do shuttle all of your queries his way. (Gelcur, there's an outstanding NDA hampering him replying to your Undermountain query, so we'll see...)
love,
THO

Never thought I'd see hentacles in the Realms.
AJA Posted - 08 Oct 2017 : 23:04:08
quote:

this time to AJA (see the post above on this page), whereto Ed saith:

Thanks for the Ilyth answer, THO. You and Ed still rock my socks, even after all these years!

Just for confirmation, though, can you clarify where Ilyth's tentacles protrude from? I originally thought from around her mouth, like an illithid, but the text doesn't seem to support that. And Ed says in addition to her arms and legs. So, stomach? Sides of her torso? Her chest?

quote:
Originally posted by Ed's 2010 Scroll on 03 Dec 2010

I do believe the Scribes here would find this offer from Ed interesting.

This is a direct quote from the Wotc Novel Book Club from Oct. 4th :

All the Realms are a game table, and we are but PCs. What's your character like?

Ed Greenwood (author of The Sword Never Sleeps): With the approval and connivance of certain TSR staffers, I wrote myself up as a character in the Realms back in 1979, and I’ve been in the Realms ever since. No, I’m not Elminster. (Or Mirt.) "I" live in Waterdeep (at least in the 1350s DR), am in published Realmslore but not at all prominent, and if someone guesses who I am, I’ll reveal more. As in, a tale or three.

So was this ever correctly answered? I'm currently re-working my way up through the 2013 Ed Thread, and I haven't yet found any follow-up on it.

And if not, may I submit Vastarr Roaringhorn, Old Lord Roar?

I mean, come on, "Capable of eating and drinking prodigious amounts with no more ill effects than hearty belching and farting" has got to be pure Ed wish fulfillment, right??
The Hooded One Posted - 07 Oct 2017 : 21:40:32

love,
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000