Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where to put Nentir Vale on the Sword Coast?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 22 Jan 2017 : 13:43:19
A player of my group got SCAG and gave it to me (yey!), so we are doing transition to 5e at last (a project I started last year, but got paused by many reasons).

Now, I started as a DM in 4e, so I was one of those who used Nentir Vale as a starting point. I also borrowed a lot from the Realms for my homebrew world, but now we want to play in the Realms. I mostly used the 4e Neverwinter Campaing Setting, and so my Realmsian adventures were in Neverwinter. My players are reluctant to fully abandon the Nentir Vale, however, as they expended lot of time making it a decent home for at least three different parties. I also fused a lot of stuff of the NCS stuff with my personal take on the Nentir Vale, so my plan is to make the vale another region of the Sword Coast.

Here is my question: what place is the best spot to import the Vale on the Sword Coast?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any grammar error (still learning the language).
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2017 : 16:08:42
Thanks.

Worked a lot on the map that is 99.999% done (an old one that I just never got to polish). Dropping all those labels into one layer takes TIME (I need a new computer LOL).

Hopefully I can have that up on DeviantART later, which will allow me to get back to the rivers on the map i linked to above. And THEN I can get back to the map this thread is actually about.

And eventually... back to the project I've been wanting to do for a year now...
Zeromaru X Posted - 28 Jun 2017 : 19:21:27
That map seems really useful for reference :V
Markustay Posted - 24 Jun 2017 : 04:09:26
And here is the new thing I've been working on -

Faerūn Map

I still need to add all the rivers, which will take time, and then paint-in color swatches for hills, mountains, and forests. Its meant to be a base to do a series of historical maps, some of which will just be of smaller regions, so the resolution had to be high to accommodate anything we wish to do with it moving forward. As it is, it fits perfectly on two standard 8½ x 11 pieces of paper for easy printing, and it shows a MUCH larger area than any other previous Faerūn map (excluding the atlases of course).
Markustay Posted - 22 Jun 2017 : 00:32:36
Sorry, I put this aside - lots of RW stuff going on in my life right now (including an ex-wife trying to put me in jail - AGAIN - for not paying child support that I DO NOT OWE HER). Now I have to go after her house (which is still technically MY HOUSE). {sigh}

And aside from that little gem, now that its nice out I'm back to working on my son's house whenever I can, taking my youngest back & forth to his first job, and also bringing my 86 year old mother to rehab 3 times a week (she fell and broke her hip, and was in the hospital for three months). So, between all of that, I have been working on various maps here and there, but not this one, unfortunately. I felt the last update had enough on it to keep people happy for awhile.

I have something else I jumped on - because it was a request for a project someone else is doing - and its a project I, myself, have wanted done for YEARS, so I've trying to finish that (which isn't easy, considering everything on my plate right now). Its a pretty BIG map, and even if it isn't extremely detailed (aside from geography), its still a lot more work than I figured it would be. Hopefully, I'll be posting a WIP of that soon, and then when its finished (the rivers are going to take a lot of time), I can get back to this.

And because of that map, I went back into my 'main project' maps that have been on the back burner for more than half a year (because I want the basic layout to match), and had to complete more of one of those, so thats less work I'll have to do on them when I get back to them (so thats one plus).

Unfortunately, GIMP crashed on me earlier today, and I don't know how long before that I saved... so I am afraid to open it back up and see how much I lost. I at least lost Pelvuria. Hopefully not all the islands I did (DOZENS of tiny ones).

EDIT: I only lost Pelvuria, and the path I was doing for a river when it crashed, which wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Thank goodness I've learned to automatically save constantly (more often than I realized I did).

On a side note, I decided to add-in the couple of small bodies of water I had added to this conversion map as part of the other (current) project, and I had to go looking for the file, because I hadn't worked on it in so long it was no longer under the 'recently opened files' menu. Had I waited much longer, it would have been a lot harder to track down (I didn't remember the name, so I had to go through the dates instead). I guess everything happens for a reason - now this file is back at the top of the stack again.
Matrix Sorcica Posted - 16 Jun 2017 : 21:33:49
Curious as to any news?
Markustay Posted - 03 May 2017 : 07:40:02
Yes, I know that. Its just one I forgot, is all. There actually a bunch of peaks I forgot.

Things become harder now that I can't edit any of that text (I can still move it around, but it requires several steps, instead of just grabbing it). For all those peaks around Ieirithymbul (five counting Icespire Peak), I'll probably just number them and put a key in the sea. I'm not going to bother labeling roads and rivers on this one, but I will on the blow-up one (thus there's no need on this one, since most everything outside of NV is canon).

I'd like to got more of the hills done -I can't work out the Elsir stuff until thats all done.
Zeromaru X Posted - 03 May 2017 : 06:27:58
Yeah, there are many locales outside the mountains in the vale, but Forgepeak is in the Nentir Vale (is near Hammerfast). That's why I mentioned it.
Markustay Posted - 03 May 2017 : 02:53:04
Yeah, I found another NWN map with it on it - I hadn't considered that there was more than one game, my bad. There's a bunch of stuff on that one as well, but not nearly as much as Storm of Zehir. I'll be adding all of that.

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

You should point out Forgepeak in the Dawnforge Mts. as is the largest mountain in that range (it towers the others; plus, is where Calastryx, a powerful three-headed red dragon, is sealed, so an adventure locale). If you need its location in the map, I can gladly provide it.

There are other locales in the Dawnforges that I can provide location as well, but those aren't as interesting or important to Nentir Vale as Forgepeak.
Yes, I saw the other locales for the Dawnforges, but you had them listed separately from the Nentir stuff - that range is huge and goes way north and south on the NV maps. One locale - Mithralfast - can just be considered the same as Mithril Hall (even the backstories are similar - it was obviously inspired by the other). As I thought I mentioned above (but perhaps not - I was losing posts), I plan to do a large 'Western Heartlands' map, just using one of the canon maps (or one of my old ones), with 'historic data' (fallen empires from the timelines), and will include Nerath on that. Along with that, I plan to include a few of the other Nerathi sites from beyond Nentir Vale.

A lot can go in the Feywild, Shadowfel, and Abeir though.

EDIT:
Anyone familiar with the NWN video games? I have two locations from two different... ummm.. versions?* I'd call them AP's but that's a P&P thing. On the Storm of Zehir map we have the 'Arcane Brotherhood Outpost', and on the Neverwinter Online game we have Blackdagger Keep. They are in the same spot, or if they are separate places, they'd be so close to each other as to be ridiculous.

My thoughts here is that one group held the old Cragmire Estate, and then the other took it from them. It would make more sense if the Arcane Brotherhood outed the pirates, but I don't know what sort of timeline I'm working with here, if any. Also, we have all the events of the Drizzt novels, which I think involved the Arcane Brotherhood (maybe), which is another resource I do not have. It could be Drizzt & Co. outed the Brotherhood, and the pirates showed up later, but once again, I'm just guessing about timeframes here.

*The first is from NWNz, and the other is from the Neverwinter Online game.
KanzenAU Posted - 03 May 2017 : 01:23:33
Icespire Peak appears on the LMoP map IIRC, but it doesn't feature at all in that adventure. The main thing it does appear in is the Neverwinter PC game, where I've only recently gotten up to. I should stress that I haven't finished the area so this info may be incomplete.

The basic skinny (I think) is that in the 1300s a dwarf named Skeld defeated a frost giant named Lakkar on the peak, using a powerful weapon called the Icehammer. He left, goblins and frost giants eventually moved back in. Then sometime presumably in the mid-1400s Skeld's progeny returned, calling themselves the Icehammer clan. They've returned because someone found mithral in the mountain, and Skeld's son also wants to reclaim the hammer (that I think was left behind in Lakkar's corpse). The dwarven settlement the Icehammer dwarves have made on the peak called Torunedar. The mithral they've mined is valuable enough that the settlement has been entered into the Lords' Alliance. They've got pretty constant goblin troubles at the time of the game though, and I assume there's a frost giant around egging the goblins on. This is presumably around 1479 DR.

I'm not aware of any lore outside that of the game, and obviously video games are of dubious canonicity - so take it as you will.
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 May 2017 : 22:57:20
You should point out Forgepeak in the Dawnforge Mts. as is the largest mountain in that range (it towers the others; plus, is where Calastryx, a powerful three-headed red dragon, is sealed, so an adventure locale). If you need its location in the map, I can gladly provide it.

There are other locales in the Dawnforges that I can provide location as well, but those aren't as interesting or important to Nentir Vale as Forgepeak.
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2017 : 21:14:27
Well, Mount Hotenow is on top of Gauntlgrym, but yeah, I forgot it when I was doing the mountain names yesterday.

'Hotenow Cave' is placed, but its nowhere near Mount Hotenow (and its not even close on those badly done NWN2 maps). Its just an encounter area with Fire Giants, but my assumption here is that it was one of many 'back doors' into Gauntlgrym, before the dwarves of Delzoun systematically collapsed all the tunnels leading to that settlement (Hammer keep is another, and its right at the base of Mount Hotenow). The cave/caverns should extend pretty deep, and towards the 'back' where its all caved-in (and has been for centuries), you can still feel the heat pouring through the rock from the other side (which is why the Fire Giants liked it here).

I see why I lost Icespire Peak - with the conversion there was nowhere to stick it.
Its not showing up in a search of LMoP - I have to wonder why they placed it, if it has nothing to do with the adventure.
Anyone know where else it is from? There are four other peaks in that same area (around Ieirithymbul) that I see on the FRIA maps, but not that one.

When I do the blow-up map of the Nentir Vale I will include all the individual Mountain Peaks - I only included the important ones for now.

EDIT:
Antira in Harkenwold should have been orange. I placed it there because there should always be a settlement at a crossroads, and now that Desul Torey has been 'upgraded' (to Raske), it makes even more sense. I got the name from a map I liked, and the guy posted it over at the Cartographersguild.com and said he 'hosted the map key elsewhere', but I've been unable to find it (not that I put much effort into it - just a quick search).
Matrix Sorcica Posted - 02 May 2017 : 20:48:07
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I feel like something weird is happening to my posts. I need to restart Chrome.

I don't know where to place the Icespire Peak??

quote:

Wow, its really good. With a map like this, you feel like you want to work with it.
Thats the idea.

I want those Pathfinder/Golarion people looking at we're doing and saying, "Hey! Look at that!"

EDIT:
Yeah, I definitely lost two entire post... strange.

You can see Icespire Peak to the west of phandalin.
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/theadventurezone/images/a/a8/Phandalin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160308230217

Edit: Mount Hotenow?

Edit: D'oh! East of phandalin..
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2017 : 20:39:34
I feel like something weird is happening to my posts. I need to restart Chrome.

I don't know where to place the Icespire Peak??

quote:

Wow, its really good. With a map like this, you feel like you want to work with it.
Thats the idea.

I want those Pathfinder/Golarion people looking at we're doing and saying, "Hey! Look at that!"

EDIT:
Yeah, I definitely lost two entire post... strange.
Matrix Sorcica Posted - 02 May 2017 : 20:18:04
I can't spot Icespire Peak from the 5e starter set?
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 May 2017 : 18:18:12
The map is missing the Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens. Nonetheless, its perfect.

BTW, you will need to share with me those ideas of the Greyhawk Wars survivors, to take them into account when I'm doing the stuff of the NV canon locales.
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2017 : 17:58:46
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix Sorcica

It looks very, very good. You were talking about integrating Elsir Vale north of this map. Is that still the plan?

Yes. Some of it is already there (off the edge of the map - this particular map is WY bigger than what you see here). Its why I left the northern parts kind of bare (aside from the fact that they ARE kind of bare). I still have to do the hills around their (The Crags), but they're going to have to get split apart to make everything work out (to scale).

The bottom edge of the map extends almost to Daggerford - not sure why I did that. I think I just wanted to make sure I got all the hill clusters named correctly (5e finally got around to naming two that never had names before, and I named the ones south of the Evermoors). I was also thinking about going that far south with a third map (that would join with these two), because I was working on some Daggerford stuff at the same time as this (but now I won't - there's no reason to since I plan on doing that regions as part of my main series of maps). The Elsir Vale/FR map will include the Frozenfar and Icewind Dale, of course, and there will be quite a bit of overlap with the first map (so non-canon bits will 'over-ride' the canon stuff along the top edge of this one).
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 May 2017 : 17:51:28
quote:

Okay, cool. I'm just glad you're back - I was getting worried. Hope you are feeling better now.

Here in Colombia, we are in the rainy season (its the closest equivalent to a Winter season so near the Equator), and that has messed up with my asthma problems (when I was child, my parents told me that those problems would disappear when one reach adulthood, but my asthma never healed, lol).

But yeah, I'm feeling better now. Thanks

quote:

Never went to bed last night - bad insomnia.

Been there sometimes. Hope you can get a good sleep tonight.

Now, lets get to business.

quote:

I'll have the latest WIP up first thing in the morning, and you can see what you'll have to work with. I think you might be far better qualified to do the write-up, considering I reference your stuff more than anything else (that is, if you want to).

I definitely will do it

quote:

When I started this, I had the terrible misconception that 4e lore was 'very light'.

The PoL lore is more like... adaptable. Most of it is not set in stone, you can chose whether if you want those stuff in your game world or not. I guess that is what makes the Nerath setting seem as "light" in lore stuff, but as you say, Nerath it is a very detailed setting.

(I guess that, if they had done the same with 4e FR lore, 4e wouldn't that maligned in FR-circles. At least, they got that right with the 4e versions of Eberron and Dark Sun).

quote:

Here's the latest WIP

Matrix Sorcica Posted - 02 May 2017 : 15:55:49
It looks very, very good. You were talking about integrating Elsir Vale north of this map. Is that still the plan?
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2017 : 14:22:44
Never went to bed last night - bad insomnia.

Here's the latest WIP - Nentir Vale in the Forgotten Realms

Black text is FR setting canon, Dark Red text is Nentir Vale canon, Dark Blue text are locales from the NWN2: Storm of Zehir video game, and orange text are homebrew (only a couple, and just to get other things to work together). Also, purple text is Underdark, and the darkness of the icon indicates the depth (I'll have a map key, eventually). This is just a WIP - I still have to go over some of Mike Schley's terrain from his NV map, and I have to finish all the hills, and the Evermoor (plus a bunch of small details/enhancements).

For the NWN2 game locales (Blue), you can cross reference the following list & numbers with the numbers on the overland map for the VG that you can find HERE (and that page also includes detailed descriptions of each locale as well).

Abandoned Mine (26)
Arcane Brotherhood Outpost (33)
Banite Enclave (25)
Conyberry (20)
Crossroad Keep (3)
Crystal Cave (10)
Dark Temple (40)
Dragon Caves (6)
Eldreth Veluuthra (18)
Elven Tower (13)
Forgotten Ruins (34)
Forktongue Den (38)
Gnoll Cave (36)
Gothaladreum (32)
Hideout (15)
Highcliff (4)
Hotenow Cave (41)
Hunting Cabin (24)
Illefarn Ruin (23)
Iron Mine, Cold (11)
Leilon (9)
Malarite Hermit (35)
Neverwinter (27)
New Leaf {Red Leaf} (37)
Night's Rest Inn (39)
Old Tomb (1)
Onyx Cave (28)
Phandalin (10)
Pharrum's Rock (21)
Pirate Cove (29)
Port Llast (30)
Priory of the Depths (31)
Ruined Keep (22)
Shadow Cult (8)
Skullsmasher's Hut (14)
Swamp Cave (2)
Swamp Cult (7)
Thundertree (17)
Undead barrow (19)
West Harbor (5)
Worg Cave (16)
Markustay Posted - 02 May 2017 : 07:08:15
Okay, cool. I'm just glad you're back - I was getting worried. Hope you are feeling better now.

I have been meaning to post something for days, but held off, and I just keep getting more done. Today I changed most of the text - its color-coded now to its source material. This way people will know where to look for a certain site (FR printed material, Nentir Vale sources, of the sites about the video game). There are a couple of 'homebrew' locales as well - just a few, because of certain logic problems (roads that had to lead somewhere, etc). I also added labels for all the hills and mountains - even the ones that had no names before.

I'll have the latest WIP up first thing in the morning, and you can see what you'll have to work with. I think you might be far better qualified to do the write-up, considering I reference your stuff more than anything else (that is, if you want to). When I started this, I had the terrible misconception that 4e lore was 'very light' (which it was, but only in regards to FR). Its seems this will need to address nearly ALL of the 4e 'core' lore, whereas its only touching upon a few bits of FR lore - mostly just shoe-horning it into locale history (so barely scratches the surface of the entirety of FR lore). It really needs at least a cursory explanation; for example, I've decided Nerath isn't what I had at first - it was a Netherese survivor state, that existed in what is now the eastern edge of the Anauroch, up to and including a small ways into the High Forest*. When I was just going to include Nentir Vale-only material what I had originally made sense, but now I plan to include tons more stuff further afield. I still plan to have the Vale settled more recently (about 130 years ago, approx.) by GH refugees from the Greyhawk Wars (I had some cool stuff to go with that, and I don't want it to go to waste). I think we both agreed on the two non-human empires being 'elsewhere' (I'd have to go back through the thread to remember where - 4e isn't my forte') - the dragonborn probably from Abeir, right? And the Tieflings from the Shadowfel? Then the one left - the Minotaurs - could just have been in the Feywild.

As for Desul Torey, I actually changed the trails to full roads there, because of all the trade through the place, and its also changed its name in the past decade to 'Raske' (see Dungeon 205) after the most prominent family in the area (combining lore to solve a few issues, and it gives us more material to use anyway). So now its a burgeoning 'trade hub' (they'd like to continue the paved roads further, all the way up to Hammerfast eventually). You'll see what I mean tomorrow - because of where we situated Nentir Vale, we have to allow for more trade then it would have ever gotten in its 'planet Nerath' location. Locales (people of The Vale) would still refer to it as Desul Torey, though - I have several forests with similar things going on (the name its know by by Valers, and the name its more commonly known by Faerūnians in general). That solved a few issues with the 'expanding the conversion' thing I'm doing now. Speaking of which, Nentir Vale itself is shortened from Neverwinter Vale, which was its original name before the GH exodus and the new residents got tired of saying that honkin' big name. I think that worked nicely (better than that anagram I had done to explain Nerath originally).

I'll explain the GH stuff when I post the map... TOMORROW. Its still just a WIP, but I have to still move about two dozen labels into the 'dungeon' layer before I can put a glow on all those tags. Definitely tomorrow though - almost had it today but I got busy doing all the color-coding. Its pretty mild - just some back-story based on some stray bits of canon from two worlds, and I even tie it to the Chaos Scar (there's a reason why the meteor/whatever struck that exact spot). Basically, it gives us a reason to have some of those 'Core' god names laying about (both in this conversion, and also with the 5e material in general, which I feel is even more important). Thanks to conversation we've had elsewhere in these forums, I am leaving the 'Pelor' stuff VERY open-ended. It could be either of FR's two, or neither - no-one really knows for sure (as it should be).

*I intend to do a really 'quick & dirty' historic map showing the outlines of nations/political entities at that time. I can't get into doing the terrain correctly - that would take me months to get perfect. I'll just take a modern map and do a shading thing (and maybe throw some of the other 'Nerath' sites on that).
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 May 2017 : 03:46:35
Been ill all these days, so, sorry for answering a little bit late.

Desul Torey is one of the hamlets that are part of the Barony of Harkenwold. Its mentioned in the short story "Under the Plains of Rust", that was published in one of the Dragon Mags, and in the "Untold Adventures" anthology book.
Markustay Posted - 29 Apr 2017 : 17:51:45
I noticed a rather bare spot, comparatively, where there are no labels.

Hence, I dubbed it "The Vale of the Defyer" (which has slowly changed from the Original - 'Defying Vale'). Its a place famous for only one thing - not being famous for anything, thus, defying all logic. Its the only place in all of Faerūn where nothing every happened!

There are at least a dozen adventuring companies camped somewhere in the vale at all times, all figuring the place is 'long overdue'.
Markustay Posted - 28 Apr 2017 : 04:33:49
Now I'm tryning to figure out where 'Desul Torey' originates from. Zeromaru has it in his amazing notes (but just lists it as one of the towns in Harkenwold), and its on that map that was done by the Adventurer's league people (updating the official one), but I don't know where it came from - its not in the Harkenwold stuff that I have, nor in any of the more general Nentir Vale sources. I'm thinking it must be from either a novel, or a Dungeon Magazine adventure.

Also trying to find out what a 'Skullsmadsher' is (from the NWN2 video game). From what Little I could find, I'm guessing an ex-adventurer, but I can't tell his race. I don't need that for the map (I just placed his hut), but if someone asks, or I do the index for this thing, it would be nice to know. The NWN2 loacels, BTW, really filled-out the Neverwinter Woods nicely - it was really WAY too big to have so little going on (now just about every group is there LOL). This is going to be one hell of a sandbox now.

I have to run to the doctor's in the morning, but hopefully I'll post it when get back. I had some stuff on the wrong layers so I was busy with corrections, plus finalizing all the stuff from the VG (those maps are atrocious - trying to translate them into canon FR maps is quite challenge).
Markustay Posted - 27 Apr 2017 : 05:49:14
I have some of that worked out. I haven't gotten the Keeps perfectly placed yet, because I need to go through the entire book, and haven't had time. For now they're just placed 'in the vicinity' an are just labeled 'Abandoned Keeps' (as they were before that AP). I don't think my map will be 100% matching theirs, but that's because some of their terrain didn't match up to older maps (nothing too major), or even to each other, and also I want the PotA AP to be able to be run straight from my map, without the need to reference the badly scaled overland maps (the smaller maps are fine, for the most part - The errata takes care of those). In fact, the idea is to be able to run ALL the 4e and 5e material off this one map (which is why I need help with the 4e stuff - I have no access to all those D&D Insider articles).

I'm just going to leave Riverslye where I placed it, until someone tells me its wrong. The map still has a ways to go, so there'll be time to correct it later. I'll put up what I have tomorrow - I still have to do the glow around a couple of groups (the Nentir Stuff) first thing, and my heads too fuzzy to get that all perfect right now.

EDIT:
Got it! "Two miles west of Albridge". The map I found has it wrong, but my placement is far worse. Pity - its was a great spot. I'll have to put something else there (saw another town - Raske - in that same issue that maybe I can use).
KanzenAU Posted - 27 Apr 2017 : 03:32:15
Just saw your post about PotA and errata Markustay - if you weren't already aware, beware the map scale! They changed it drastically in the errata. I can't remember if either line up well, but I'm pretty sure the errata was at least an improvement.
Markustay Posted - 27 Apr 2017 : 02:37:44
Zeromaru X - you still with us? I can't lose you, man!

I was hoping to get that info on Riverslye; I tried finding it myself but to no avail. I actually have the next update ready - I've just been adding stuff from the NWN2 video game to kill time the past few days. I guess I'll post what I have in the morning.
Markustay Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 17:04:45
Zeromaru X - in your notes you just mention the village of Riverslye (halfling settlement) being "on the White River" in Harkenwold. However, I see on one customized NV map they have Riverslye in the same exact spot as the "Ilyana's House" adventure site. Is that correct? Is the adventure locale inside Riverslye?

Because I placed it elsewhere on the River, and since I plan to release what I have so far later today, I wanted to make sure there weren't any mistakes.

In General:
Now that I have the PotA book (and its much better than I had hoped it would be), I notice there are some slight differences between it and the 'freebie' PotA 'starter' that was available for download from the Adventurer's guild. Since I understand PotA has been updated with it's errata (and hopefully I got one of these updated copies - haven't checked that yet), any time there is an irreconcilable difference I am going to have to go with the purchased book over the free supplement. I have barely touched the surface, but I noticed right away that the Netherese were blamed for the original temples in the supplement, but the Drow were blamed in the book (and both could easily be true, considering the ages of the ruins, although its odd that they each ignore the lore of the other).

I do love the 'greater D&Dverse' approach to Elemental Evil, and how they tie it all to the Elder Elemental Eye (and hint at the connection between it and Ghaunadaur). They actually did a much better job of 'smoothing the edges' than I was lead to believe. Also tying it to Besilmar was pure win (another dwarven ruin!). Its not that far from the ancient realm of Miyeritar, and it would be kind of cool to connect everything (so maybe the Aryvandaar Elves weren't 'entirely' wrong about their destruction of Miyeritar... just something to think about).
Matrix Sorcica Posted - 18 Apr 2017 : 20:19:56
quote:

As I said before, take your time. Seeing your other maps, I know the wait will be worth it.

What he said.
Markustay Posted - 18 Apr 2017 : 13:52:20
Worked on this the better part of yesterday. I even have the full Princes of the Apocalypse book now (from Amazon - amazing how once you get used to using PDF's for research, physical books seem weird now). I wanted to get enough done to post a WIP, but still haven't gotten all the names grouped together in single layers (its more time-consuming than I anticipated; since I can't edit names after I do that, I have to double-check everything and make sure they're positioned perfectly/not in the way of other text, correctly spelled, spaced right, etc). I also wanted to add-in a bunch of Underdark sites, which I had to research to get perfect, and that ate up a lot of the day as well. I should have waited on that until the next update.

I don't want you guys to think I've given up on this one. Its just that I have less time now, but I do try and put in at least a couple of hours each day.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2017 : 19:22:14
As I said before, take your time. Seeing your other maps, I know the wait will be worth it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000