Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A region where the players can become bigshots?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
farinal Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 07:30:57
Hi people, as we all know almost 90% of the focus is on the Sword Coast for a long time now. And we usually see criticism of that both in Candlekeep (excessively) and also in general.

So I wanted to ask you guys about a region where the players can actually become bigshots after completing a few quests on their own. For example a small region where the adventuring party arrives and just in a short time after defeating some threats and working for the people of the region they find themselves in a position of authority and respect. So where in the Realms, can we find such an obscure region that might be waiting for some heroes to arrive to bring them to greatness?

I ask this also because I want to play in a game where the players eventually become the decision makers o the region. For example our heroes arrive, defeat the X threat to the region and in a few years they find themselves as becoming the rulers or lords of this place. So then the game can also have realm ruling aspect besides the classic d&d.

So where is a good place to get a game like this going? It probably needs to be a region with a weak or non existing central government and not many high level NPCs.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordXenophon Posted - 30 Apr 2017 : 05:13:00
The lore is full of small towns, just waiting for a rich adventurer to build them into large towns. Take your pick and take over.

You could also clear out a ruin and fix it up. The lore is full of adventuring groups who did exactly that. Of course, most failed, but not all.
sfdragon Posted - 21 Apr 2017 : 23:36:23
moonsea
cormyr
border kingdoms
waterdeep
silverymoon
anywhere on the sword coast.
just depends on how much of a bigshot you want to become.

Grievous Posted - 21 Apr 2017 : 19:53:11
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Diffan I was thinking the same thing about the Moonsea Region earlier today. Zhents in Zhentil Keep, and Banites in Mulmaster. What could possibly go wrong?

I heard Phlann could use a few good adventurers (who could easily turn influencers/rulers)... ;)
Brimstone Posted - 21 Apr 2017 : 00:37:56
Diffan I was thinking the same thing about the Moonsea Region earlier today. Zhents in Zhentil Keep, and Banites in Mulmaster. What could possibly go wrong?
Markustay Posted - 21 Apr 2017 : 00:05:40
Or The Vast.
The Shining Plains (and on into Erlkazar) is another possibility.
Bragi Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 23:29:28
I'm a big fan of the Border Kingdoms. Thesk may also be a possibility.
Diffan Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 23:28:55
Eh, while I do enjoy the Boarder Kingdoms AND the extensive focus they received HERE I'm going to have to say the Moonsea region is my go-to for PC stardom. You do have major cities in the region like Mulmaster and Hillfar for your cityscape pleasure and you can get some pretty high exposure from smaller towns like Phlan, Glister, and Hulburg. Not to mention that the area is amazing for low- to mid-level activity. There's warbands of goblins and Orcs to trolls from Thar to the machinations of the Zhentarim of Zhentil Keep to all sorts of high-sea adventures on the Moonsea itself. You have undead and liches in the fields near Hulburg, mines and subterranean stuff near the mines of Glister and the Galena Mountains. You can also note that the weather varies greatly here, from hot and humid days to cold, wet downpours especially in seasons like Spring and Fall. One day it could be hot and you have to prepare for the possibility of heat exposure then that night it drops down to the low 40s and wet to the bone.

Yea, I like the Moonsea!
Markustay Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 18:58:11
Border Kingdoms, like everyone else says. Thats what they're made for.
idilippy Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 16:25:21
The Border Kingdoms are a great choice. The Stonelands could be a possibility too.
Brimstone Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 14:37:50
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Border Kingdoms, the Vast or anywhere in the Heartlands between the major settlements.

-- George Krashos

I am in agreement on the Border Kingdoms. The Vast is another great idea.
Brimstone Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 14:36:00
The Border Kingdoms. The Dales. Vilhon Reach.
George Krashos Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 14:35:20
Border Kingdoms, the Vast or anywhere in the Heartlands between the major settlements.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 08:33:51
Well i can only speak for pre spellplague (who knows what happened in kewl post spellplague land - maybe all the regions outside the sword coast turned into trendy sandwich bars), but the border kingdoms sound like an ideal place for this campaign. They are filled with small 'nations' that exist purely because someone was strong enough to take the land for themselves and hold it.

The dalelands would also be good here since this is what happened with the knights of myth drannor in shadowdale.

However this campain could be played anywhere if you keep it local. You save a settlement from a threat and become heroes and then the ruler of the and makes you the local lord.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000