Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D movie update.......Dragons of Autumn Twilight?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 07 Apr 2017 : 18:55:27
Looks like ia d&d movie could be inching forward ever slowly. Although I love the realms and would love a FR movie.....the Dragonlance Chronicles always seemed to me as a great source for movies.

It also doesn't hurt that one of the guys writing and pushing for it has some star power and could probably be a great Caramon.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2019 : 13:49:17
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The hell does Vecna have to do with the Forgotten Realms?

Just as much as the Tomb of Horrors: Nothing at all, until it was inexplicably ported over.
LordofBones Posted - 28 Nov 2019 : 06:55:19
The hell does Vecna have to do with the Forgotten Realms?
Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Nov 2019 : 03:43:33
I hate...revile...the idea of anything to do with Vecna taking place in the Forgotten Realms.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2019 : 03:28:31
I'm surprised no one has shared this, yet...

Dungeons & Dragons Movie to Focus on the Eye of Vecna, Will Feature a Forgotten Realms Character

Some bits from the article, for the tl;dr crowd:

"ComicBook.com can exclusively report that the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie currently in development by Paramount will focus on a group of adventurers looking for the Eye of Vecna, a powerful artifact that dates back to the earliest days of the game."

"Additionally, ComicBook.com can exclusively report that Paramount was looking for a male actor to voice the dragon Palarandusk, a dragon that lives in the Forgotten Realms."

"While Palarndusk's involvement in the Dungeons & Dragons movie indicates the movie will take place in the Forgotten Realms, our source indicates that the dragon will act as an ancient leader of a group of Triadic Knights."

"Our source indicates that Dungeons & Dragons will feature a group of adventurers led by Raven Hightower, a warrior with a magic flamesword that's haunted by his sister's death. Other characters include the "half-dragon" Hack Karroway, the gnome thief Olivan Trickfoot, and a masked warrior named Alyssa Steelsong who is set to take over Palarandusk's role when the dragon dies. Additionally, the main villain of the movie is a male drow named Razer Horlbar who once kept Raven and his sister as slaves, along with a female tiefling named Damala and a brutish warrior known only as "The Beast.""

My takeaways:

I don't want the Eye of Vecna in the Realms. That's a Greyhawk item, and they've already done too much mixing the two settings.

I'm not really sure about having a drow antagonist (especially one named "Razer"!), but as long as he's the only drow in the movie, that's not too bad. It's not just my dislike of "hey, we need drow in everything!"; there's also the fact that they decided "hey, in a country where racial tensions are a very big issue, let's have a movie where the bad guy has jet black skin and comes from a race that's pretty much always evil!" I foresee some major blowback on that one.

I don't like most of those names.

I am very enthusiastic about this being a new story, instead of just a rehashing of an existing one.

I am also happy that the canon character they chose was not one who has had a lot of air time, and is in fact not a human or demihuman. Picking any human or demihuman characters would have spawned endless discussions on how well the actor portrayed the character and how some other actor would have been a better choice.
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 04 Feb 2018 : 05:13:58
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, maybe that's why I didn't like it. I don't think I even got past chapter 3 of the first book. It probably felt like a "poor man's LotR" (and although I was just 14, my tastes had already become discerning LOL).

Aside from the nonsensical reaction to the prophecy, I enjoyed the book when I first read it... But that was well before I read Lord of the Rings. Once I read that, then tried to reread Sword, I found myself wondering how such a blatant ripoff ever got approved by a publisher.

As for that prophecy, since I keep mentioning it... The Fellowship characters go up into the mountains to see this ghost, for some advice on their quest to find the eponymous Sword of Shannara. The ghost says "one of you will not reach the far side of this mountain, but that person will be the first to find the Sword."

It's a pretty straight-forward statement. It said nothing about death, and did say that the lost person would get the Sword. But all of the characters somehow interpreted it as meaning that one of them was going to die.

I do so enjoy misinterpreted prophecies. Is anyone here familiar with The Dragonstone by Dennis L. McKiernan? It involves heroes embarking on a quest to prevent an apocalyptic prophecy and... let's just say in the end they might be directly responsible for it coming to pass.

A misinterpretation is one thing. But Bremen flat out said the person that didn't reach the other side of the mountain would get the Sword -- which means that person lived. An entire group of people, some quite intelligent, somehow determining that this meant someone would die, is willful stupidity.

A fair point
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2018 : 15:49:38
quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

quote:

quote:

Well, maybe that's why I didn't like it. I don't think I even got past chapter 3 of the first book. It probably felt like a "poor man's LotR" (and although I was just 14, my tastes had already become discerning LOL).

Aside from the nonsensical reaction to the prophecy, I enjoyed the book when I first read it... But that was well before I read Lord of the Rings. Once I read that, then tried to reread Sword, I found myself wondering how such a blatant ripoff ever got approved by a publisher.

As for that prophecy, since I keep mentioning it... The Fellowship characters go up into the mountains to see this ghost, for some advice on their quest to find the eponymous Sword of Shannara. The ghost says "one of you will not reach the far side of this mountain, but that person will be the first to find the Sword."

It's a pretty straight-forward statement. It said nothing about death, and did say that the lost person would get the Sword. But all of the characters somehow interpreted it as meaning that one of them was going to die.

I do so enjoy misinterpreted prophecies. Is anyone here familiar with The Dragonstone by Dennis L. McKiernan? It involves heroes embarking on a quest to prevent an apocalyptic prophecy and... let's just say in the end they might be directly responsible for it coming to pass.

A misinterpretation is one thing. But Bremen flat out said the person that didn't reach the other side of the mountain would get the Sword -- which means that person lived. An entire group of people, some quite intelligent, somehow determining that this meant someone would die, is willful stupidity.
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 03 Feb 2018 : 08:22:31
quote:

quote:

sleyvas Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 15:32:01
quote:

But this is why I think I 'might' enjoy the TV adaption. Its NOT really the books at all, and it IS set in the post-apocalypse. I can't be disappointed by something based on something I was already disappointed with... that's a double-negative.

Its baaadddd..... really.... really... baaddd. Granted, I did watch the whole season 1 hoping that it would get better. I kid you not, when the last episode aired, I immediately deleted the recording settings from my DVR so that it wouldn't ever record more... and I never do that.
Sunderstone Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 04:02:42
quote:

quote:

I kind of reacted the same with the first book. To much of a Fellowship rehash. Two Humans(one a royal), Elves, Dwarf, the diminuitve protagonist and a Wizard..I mean a Druid on a quest to take a weapon that can beat the big bad into the heart of his kingdom. All the while being threatened by Nazgul, I mean Warlock Lords. The only characters I really could get into were Panamon Creel and Keltset. They at least felt original.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Feb 2018 : 03:54:41
quote:

Markustay Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 22:34:45

But this is why I think I 'might' enjoy the TV adaption. Its NOT really the books at all, and it IS set in the post-apocalypse. I can't be disappointed by something based on something I was already disappointed with... that's a double-negative.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 15:22:17
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Then I might like it too, because I never read the books either. i tried to - just couldn't get into them.

And I LOVE post-apocalypse settings. I'm looking forward to my neighborhood being one someday.

If you're looking for post-apocalypse, don't look for it in the books. Granted, he REFERENCES that this is in the far future, but the feel in the stories was very much normal fantasy (granted, i read them 30 years ago). In fact, in reading the first two books, I felt like it was very much a Tolkien remake of LotR kinda with some twists. I started the third book and never finished it. That being said, I have a friend that loved the series.

Sword of Shannara is pretty much a direct ripoff of The Lord of the Rings, with the added bonus of a bizarre interpretation of a prophecy (it really, really bugs me). Elfstones and Wishsong were more original.

From what I understand, Terry Brooks did eventually write some other books that pretty much bridge our modern world with the Shannara series, showing how the world became all Shannarified. I've not read any of them, though.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 13:30:18
quote:

Then I might like it too, because I never read the books either. i tried to - just couldn't get into them.

And I LOVE post-apocalypse settings. I'm looking forward to my neighborhood being one someday.

If you're looking for post-apocalypse, don't look for it in the books. Granted, he REFERENCES that this is in the far future, but the feel in the stories was very much normal fantasy (granted, i read them 30 years ago). In fact, in reading the first two books, I felt like it was very much a Tolkien remake of LotR kinda with some twists. I started the third book and never finished it. That being said, I have a friend that loved the series.
Markustay Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 05:26:14

Diffan Posted - 31 Jan 2018 : 04:58:46
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:
LOL, so I wasn't the only one who hated that Shannara series.

I still haven't met anyone who liked the MTV-Shannara garbage series.

I like it. I never read the books, dont particularly want to. I like the post Apocalypse feeling. The acting is on-par for what I expect a fantasy show to have and they film on location, which I like.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 20:35:43
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:

My wife liked them enough to try to read The Elfstones of Shannara. That said, she is neither a geek nor an avid reader.
The Red Walker Posted - 30 Jan 2018 : 18:29:52
Well we may or may not ever get a decent Realms movie, but at least someone is making a hell of an attempt at a quality fantasy fiction movie.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sam-raimi-kingkiller-chronicles-lionsgate-and-lin-manuel-miranda-1202678969/

I love the Kingkiller novels, and with a director like Raimi and a creative force like Miranda on board, as well as Lionsgate behind them.....this should be good
Cyrinishad Posted - 22 Dec 2017 : 14:17:39
quote:

The Masked Mage Posted - 21 Dec 2017 : 20:12:32
I honestly don't think they even read the book. They were deviating before they left page 1.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Dec 2017 : 14:52:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Looks like ia d&d movie could be inching forward ever slowly. Although I love the realms and would love a FR movie.....the Dragonlance Chronicles always seemed to me as a great source for movies.

It also doesn't hurt that one of the guys writing and pushing for it has some star power and could probably be a great Caramon.

I think there are many story lines that would make great movies. For the realms the obvious choice would be Drizzt's story line. The originals were all self-contained and also fed into the other books. This plays well into movie-land. The moonblade books also work well this way... so much would depend on casting there though and tbh I think no one would be an Elaith I would not hate.

Dragonlance requires a series of movies. Which would be wonderful. Or even better, give them a HBO series like GOT. If MTV ruins another book series like Shannara we're all doomed.

Brimstone Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 18:48:16
quote:

Brimstone and I both waited for someone else to do it.

Yup
The Masked Mage Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 18:13:53
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I think there are many story lines that would make great movies. For the realms the obvious choice would be Drizzt's story line. The originals were all self-contained and also fed into the other books. This plays well into movie-land. The moonblade books also work well this way... so much would depend on casting there though and tbh I think no one would be an Elaith I would not hate.

Dragonlance requires a series of movies. Which would be wonderful. Or even better, give them a HBO series like GOT. If MTV ruins another book series like Shannara we're all doomed.
Caolin Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 05:20:56
I look forward to the future 37% Rotten Tomatoes score.
BadCatMan Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 02:31:33
I've tried to collect all the news and rumour at the wiki (as a way of keeping atop of any flood of information):
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_movie
Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Having switched from Warner Bros. to Paramount resets everything, so we can't currently say what it's about or who's doing it. However, the fact that Hasbro and its Allspark Pictures are working with Paramount on a bunch of other things suggests D&D came in the same package, so fingers crossed that it's still the same Forgotten Realms–set project as before, and not the Dragonlance proposal (which seems no more than a script looking for a maker).
Markustay Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 01:55:18
I heard is was supposed to be set in FR, but whether that means they'll touch on any known canon (people, places, & things) is up in the air. I rather doubt it - the writers will probably just write whatever they feel like (which isn't all that different than what we've been getting for two editions anyway).

Expect lots of dragonborn, tieflings, dark elves, and explosions. Oh, and maybe a plot... if we're lucky.

EDIT:
Crystal Ball Guess: Angsty young woman/teen turns out to be 'the Chosen One' and kicks arse and saves the whole world. Throw in a pair of star-crossed lovers for her (who hate each other) and its pure box-office gold.

The Saurials/Alias story could work well - we even have a cute little halfling girl (we need a 'little person' - they are SO in right now).
Bravesteel Posted - 20 Dec 2017 : 00:02:33
I wouldn't care for the movie to be set in Krynn. I always felt that Krynn felt very one-dimensional and one-trick pony-ish. As far as the cartoon movie goes, my friends and I made a game out of counting up all the animation errors, we got up to about 74 or so.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Dec 2017 : 21:40:27
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

If I had to pick a book / plot to choose for a movie adaptation of the Realms I'd pick either Spellfire or Pool of Radiance. Shandril is an awesome character with fun supporting characters and an easily identifiable Villian/Group, plus the story overall is fantastic. For Pool of Radiance, it has that great nostalgia for those who've played both the Video Game and/or ran the adventure back in the TSR days. It also has some nostalgia for those who played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor back in the early 2000's when 3.0 was released (and the infamous video game that went along with it). It has all the classic tropes for a D&D movie: a dungeon, a dragon, recognizable monsters, cool characters (I really just wanna see a Cleric of Tyr wield Tyr's Hammer) and a easy-to-follow plot.

Both stories are great exploratory adventures that can easily capture the essence of the Forgotten Realms without having over arching stories involving TONS of people and places.

One of the blurbs I read discussed a potential plot for the movie, and said that at some point in the past it was the angle they were going for -- and it wasn't a story I recognized.

Which was fine with me; I've long maintained that the best option is to do what so many Realms authors have done: tell a new story.
Diffan Posted - 19 Dec 2017 : 21:14:48
If I had to pick a book / plot to choose for a movie adaptation of the Realms I'd pick either Spellfire or Pool of Radiance. Shandril is an awesome character with fun supporting characters and an easily identifiable Villian/Group, plus the story overall is fantastic. For Pool of Radiance, it has that great nostalgia for those who've played both the Video Game and/or ran the adventure back in the TSR days. It also has some nostalgia for those who played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor back in the early 2000's when 3.0 was released (and the infamous video game that went along with it). It has all the classic tropes for a D&D movie: a dungeon, a dragon, recognizable monsters, cool characters (I really just wanna see a Cleric of Tyr wield Tyr's Hammer) and a easy-to-follow plot.

Both stories are great exploratory adventures that can easily capture the essence of the Forgotten Realms without having over arching stories involving TONS of people and places.
Markustay Posted - 19 Dec 2017 : 17:43:00
Brimstone and I both waited for someone else to do it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Dec 2017 : 17:06:55
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

We have a release date: July 23, 2021.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dungeons-dragons/248146/dungeons-dragons-movie-news

I saw that on Facebook last night.

As did I, and a lot more of it this morn. I was surprised no one had brought the news here.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000