Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Animal humanoid deities for Katashaka

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 05 Apr 2017 : 15:15:07
So, rather than dirty up Aulddragon's thread, I figured I'd throw out something I kind of threw together a few weeks ago. I've made it no secret that my version of Northern Katashaka has seen little in the way of humans for centuries. Many of the races there are there were created by some members of the human creator race from LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG ago (said human creators later were sent to Abeir during the Sundering in my version), by embracing the spirits of animals.

So, in essence, my version has rodent/cat/canine/cow/horse/elephant/hippo/rhino/crocodile/frog/snake/lizard/bird/pig/goat/fish/crustacean/octopus/turtle/plant peoples all in small communities that interact with each other.

So, I kind of spammed through lore books and online looking for ideas of deities. I then made a rough list (see below). Feel free to look at it, and if anything comes to mind... say something. If you have a concept for a wholly new deity (The parrot god of rainbows for instance... just thought of that, and I'm loving it.... what's he do? Haven't the foggiest...), post it.

I may shave some of what I have below. I may add more to others (for instance, I didn't even have a horse section until I looked at Aulddragon's centaurs).

Cat Deities
Anhur - lion headed
Bast - cat headed
Mihos - lion headed son of Bast and Ptah, god of divine retribution & vengeance"devourer of the guilty and protector of the innocent"
Pakhet - cat headed goddess of hunting, "She who Scratches", she particularly hates snakes and other reptilians
Kiga, the Predator, goddess of the hunt and the kill - panther headed goddess. This is the goddess of bloodlust rather than Pakhet who teaches responsible hunting. She require ritual sacrifice of her victims.
Nobanion - lion
Cat Lord -
Ix Chel - jaguar goddess of midwifery, medicine, and venom. She wears an entwined serpent upon her head and wears a skirt of bones. She teaches the use of plants and animal venom to heal, reduce pain, and kill.
Nula - animals
Ferrix - goddess of weretigress... goddess of curiosity and knowledge
Talisid - the Celestial Lion from Book of Exalted Deeds - he disappeared following the Spellplague, and only recently has begun answering godly prayers again.

Bird Folk Deities
Thoth - Ibideans, god of magic
Nekhbet - Vulture folk, goddess of childbirth and mothers. Believed to be another aspect of Hathor.
Heresa Heri - Vulture folk, lord of the night skies, disease, and death. The Vulture King, Lord of Gem Magics. It is believed that he once hid the sun, moonlight, and starlight as gems amongst his feathered headdress, and with them, he was the most beautiful bird of all. He was forced to release these gems through threats by a human deity, and he has never forgiven mankind since.
Pazuzu - demon lord
Syranita - aarakocra goddess
Quorlinn - Kenku god, trickster
Garuda - King of all Birds from Indian Mythology
Qotal - Maztican - feathered dragon
Nula - Maztican guardian of animals
Eha - the wind sprite
Remnis - Great Lord of Eagles from Monster Mythology

Deities of Yithakar (Yak Folk, Minotaurs, Ibixians, and some gnolls )
Hathor - minotaurs and yak folk
Khoum - Egyptian god of water , ram headed god with twisting horns, he is known as a god who crafts spirits from the clay of life.
Baphomet - demon lord of minotaurs
Orcus - demon lord of the undead
The Faceless God - yak folk
Nula - animals
Azul - Giver of Rain and Taker of Breath
Plutoq - Master of Earth and Stone
Tezca - Ruler of Sun and Fire

Snake and Lizard Folk Deities
Set - Egyptian god of snakes
Zehir - snake god, mainly to yuan-ti
Parrafaire - naga god of secrets and hidden places (monster mythology)
Semuanya - lizard folk
Sess'inek - tanar'ri lord making inroads
Laogzed - lizards (troglodytes) - giant lizard that eats things (monster mythology)

Frog Folk (bullywugs, grippli, grung, sivs, and froghemoths) Deities
Ramenos (monster mythology) - wants sacrifices
Azul - Maztican rain god,
Nula - Maztica animals
Heqet - Egyptian variation of Hathor wit a froghead
Laogzed – troglodytes

Gnoll, Dog, Fox, and Wolf gods
Skahmau the Wolfshead -
Yeenoghu - demon prince of gnolls
Daragor - god of werewolves, bloodlust
Eshebala - goddess of foxwomen and wolfweres - hates brutes, loves luxury. Brother is Daragor, whom she considers an oaf.
Gorellik - hyena god of gnolls

horse deities (equiceph/zebraceph, centaurs, zebrataurs)

Brilros (demigod of strength and speed) – twin brother of Linroth, have be an incarnation like the Mulhorandi, so not a deity. Have be a child of Kheiron.
Chitza-Atlan (Lord of the underworld)
Fanthros (sky and weather)
Kheiron (god of skill in combat)
Linroth (demigod of strength and speed) – twin sister of Brilros, have be an incarnation like the Mulhorandi, so not a deity. Have be a child of Kheiron.
Naharra (fertility and love)
Skerrit the Hoofed Lord (default centaur god)

Jungle Hag Goddess

Cegilune - monster mythology
Dagon (sea hags)
Nula (monkey/ape goddess)

Crocodilian Gods

Sebek - crocodile deity
Ragarra was nature's unpredictable violence incarnate
Taweret - (goddess of child birth and fierce protection of children)

Giff and Loxo Deities (i.e. Elephant and Hippo deities... may work for Noceri and Rhinaurs too)

Ganesha - elephant headed deity with four arms, "Remover of Obstacles", lord of letters, learning, and intellect. Broke off one of his tusks to use as a pen when scribing
The World Elephants/Rhinos/Hippos - Several male elephants/rhinos/hippos ride upon the backs of Chukwa, the World Turtle. Each represents a cardinal direct and they are Virunpaksha(north) , Mahaatpadma (south), Saumaanis (west), Bhaadra (east). Bhadra represents the earth and his displeasure brings earthquakes. Saumanas represents monsoons, tornados and other powerful winds. Virunpaksha represents a hot wind and is generally associated with fire. Bhaadra represents water and his displeasure brings flooding.
Duembao - Lord of the Sky, this four-horned, winged Loxo trumpets Thunderously from his trunks and hurls lightning at the enemies of the Loxo.
Khises, the Half Man Half Hippo Hero, - The opposite wall was painted with a scene from legend: at the bottom of the Mother of Rivers, the hippo-here Khises battled Skahmau the Wolfshead. A tauric hippopotamus.
Taweret - (goddess of child birth and fierce protection of children) - Egyptian goddess - She was depicted as a combination of a crocodile, a pregnant hippopotamus standing on her hind legs with large breasts and a lion. Her head and body were that of the hippo, her paws were that of the lion, and her back was the back of a crocodile.
Shajar - hippopotamus headed deity of life and death, growth and decay. A river god . Just as the river provided nourishing food, it also brought death each year when it flooded during the summer monsoons. The river brought transportation and commerce, but its waters could wash away a city overnight. The newborn were washed in its waters during their naming ceremony; the dead were carried
downstream in small rafts, ultimately entrusted to Shajar's care in the watery underworld.

Ragarra was nature's unpredictable violence incarnate, violence which must be appeased through sacrifice to be kept at bay. Shajar's passionate mate, Ragarra was depicted as a woman with bat wings and a crocodile's head and tail.

Nula - animals
Watil - plants

Muisling Gods ( muislings (mousefolk), nezumi rat folk, Miraji rabbit folk, craniar psionic mouse folk, meerkatian earth workers)

Ishistu the Albino Rat - Zakharan god
Mushika - (Indian Mythology) mouse god that is a musician and servant/mount of Ganesha
Nula - animals
Squerrik - monster mythology god of wererats

Plant People Deities myconids, vegepygmies, campestri, blights, and even jungle versions of dryads and treants

Watil - Maztican plant goddess
Psilofyr - Myconid god, teaches potion making and pursuit of perfection through meditation

Tortles (humanoid turtle people)

Chukwa - the world turtle. He helped carry the world long ago "when the world was still flat".

Tako, Kraken, dragon eels, and Sea Hydras God
Dagon

Crabmen, Chuul, Sartani (Sartani are giant humanoid crabmen), and Kuo-Toan gods

Kar'r'rga (from golden voyages)
Blibdoolpoolp
Dagon

Sahuagin Deities
Sekolah
Dagon
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AuldDragon Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 02:51:00
The old gods of Al Qadim are heavily influenced by the pre-Islamic deities of the near-east, many of whom were chimeric in nature. I wouldn't see bat wings on a deity/servant as any special connection to anything else unless there are hints already laid out that direct it in that nature. I'd keep Ragarra as entirely her own being, especially given she is *by far* the most detailed of all of the old Zakharan gods.

Jeff
sleyvas Posted - 04 Jul 2017 : 16:36:50
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but here goes...

Yesterday, while doing map research (looking at various Zakhara maps), I was looking through the Ruined Kingdoms stuff and came across some interesting information on Regarra - the Crocodile-headed goddess of ancient Nog & Kador. There are some MM sheets in the back, and there are these things called Segarrans (lesser & greater), which are priests that have taken on certain physical aspects of their goddess.

The greater ones can grow bat-like wings.
That isn't something crocodiles normally have, ya' know.

And looking at the pics (not the best art), I was thinking - if a culture was not aware of dragons (as the Zakharans are), wouldn't something with a dragon head look an awful lot like a crocodile to them (since they've seen crocodiles, but NOT dragons)? The lesser ones just have the head and tail (which would look very much like a dragon's head and tail), and the greater ones are true shapeshifters - they become giant-sized and grow bat-like (draconic?) wings.

Maybe I should have stuck this in the Al Qadim thread, but I am starting to think Regarra was some sort of primal dragon (or half-dragon) deity. Something that maybe we could associate with half-dragons or even dragonborn. Could Regarra be a very primal aspect of Tiamat? Some early version of her that could appeal to human worshipers?

I put this here figuring maybe you could use this in your Katashaka stuff. She'd also make a great fit for Maztica (since I think their Gods are actually just aliases for the draconic pantheon). She'd probably give Sebek fits (if she really was a 'false' crocodile).

No, thank you for the information. Yeah, I've been not quite sure WHAT to do with that deity, and my list is slowly changing. The idea of bat winged crocodilians though makes me want to tie them to Camazotz (the bat lord)... whom I hadn't even put in this list, but because I wanted bainligor on the surface and in the underdark of Katashaka, I included him (plus he is a god that fits the pantheons). However, I really don't want to do that... and the idea of "half-dragon" crocodilians does make sense. Hell, maybe Ragarra has an "avatar"/manifestation in Manu-Ni-Maloa, land of the Nyamma-Numo, that's a giant Kaiju like crocodile/dragon crossbreed. I like the idea that say some dragon actually bred with dinosaur sized crocodiles, and maybe Ragarra is a result that through worship has become deified.

I've also been rethinking my initial writeup of the Cult of Camazotz that I did a few days ago, but this time to replace the derro. I figure to NOT have the bainligor come from the underdark fleeing the rockfire disaster , but to have the Katashakan bainligor having lived in both the jungles AND the upperdark of Katashaka (and instead those bainligor of Faerun came from Katashaka long ago). I'm also thinking of having a population of daemonfey having fled Faerun more than five thousand years ago and settled in Katashaka, and having come to worship Camazotz. Some of these daemonfey may have embraced vampirism. Then I'm thinking to have them recently come across the jungle drow of the Lopango, but rather than turning against them, maybe they embrace them.... maybe even give them the blessing of Lycanthropy as werebats (that may be overkill).
Markustay Posted - 04 Jul 2017 : 15:12:13
Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but here goes...

Yesterday, while doing map research (looking at various Zakhara maps), I was looking through the Ruined Kingdoms stuff and came across some interesting information on Regarra - the Crocodile-headed goddess of ancient Nog & Kador. There are some MM sheets in the back, and there are these things called Segarrans (lesser & greater), which are priests that have taken on certain physical aspects of their goddess.

The greater ones can grow bat-like wings.
That isn't something crocodiles normally have, ya' know.

And looking at the pics (not the best art), I was thinking - if a culture was not aware of dragons (as the Zakharans are), wouldn't something with a dragon head look an awful lot like a crocodile to them (since they've seen crocodiles, but NOT dragons)? The lesser ones just have the head and tail (which would look very much like a dragon's head and tail), and the greater ones are true shapeshifters - they become giant-sized and grow bat-like (draconic?) wings.

Maybe I should have stuck this in the Al Qadim thread, but I am starting to think Regarra was some sort of primal dragon (or half-dragon) deity. Something that maybe we could associate with half-dragons or even dragonborn. Could Regarra be a very primal aspect of Tiamat? Some early version of her that could appeal to human worshipers?

I put this here figuring maybe you could use this in your Katashaka stuff. She'd also make a great fit for Maztica (since I think their Gods are actually just aliases for the draconic pantheon). She'd probably give Sebek fits (if she really was a 'false' crocodile).
sleyvas Posted - 14 Apr 2017 : 03:12:36
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Kaiju-like creatures is precisely what I had in mind, though they are not mindless monsters. Each nyamma-numo is worshiped as a god by the natives and each rules over a vast domain. Territorial disputes between nyamma-numo are not uncommon, leading to epic King Kong vs. Godzilla style clashes. At least that was the rough idea. I always wanted to revisit Katashaka officially, but that dream died with the advent of 4E. Happy to see new folks pushing out lore for these uncharted lands.

That's kind of what I'm picturing. I call it, Manu-Ni-Maloa, Land of the Nyamma-Numo. I have this general idea of a walled off by mountains region, whose interior is filled hills, mountains, volcanos, geysers, amidst a lighter jungle. There will be numerous ruins and the area will be overrun with "natives"... but not human ones, thinking savage bullywugs, lizard folk, carnivorous saurials, crocodilians, jungle giants, cyclops, ettins, trolls, ogres, hell maybe even dracons, uthraki, girallons, etc...... and generally the people in these mountains stay in the land of these nyamma-numo. The various tribes will worship or consider their ruler a powerful being (the cyclops might follow a gargantuan cyclops, ettins following a gargantuan ettin, crocodilians a giant crocodile (or maybe even an avatar/manifestation of Ragarra from Zakhara), bullywugs a giant fire spitting toad, uthraki and girallons a giant Uthraki that can shapechange and regenerate, etc...

Now I want to go watch that new king kong, skull island movie.

SIDE NOTE: One of the things I also have is this Shou and Wa Culture just to the east of these mountains. When the spellplague occurred, the Shou in their dragonships (which look like dragons from beneath) and the Wa in their tsunami (which look like a giant flying centipede) were in a fight. They started falling towards Toril's surface when their helms temporarily failed. Just as they started to recover, a flying nyamma-numo saw them and attacked these "dragons" and the "giant centipede" thinking they were invading its territory. The orientals ended up crashing in the jungles and the two cultures had to work together to survive.

The whole center of the continent will have giant mountains separating this land from the surrounding jungles. The jungle outlying the land of the nyamma-numo is vicious as well, but that will be more intertribal warfare, competing for resources, etc... that we're used to seeing kind of.
Brian R. James Posted - 14 Apr 2017 : 00:20:43
Kaiju-like creatures is precisely what I had in mind, though they are not mindless monsters. Each nyamma-numo is worshiped as a god by the natives and each rules over a vast domain. Territorial disputes between nyamma-numo are not uncommon, leading to epic King Kong vs. Godzilla style clashes. At least that was the rough idea. I always wanted to revisit Katashaka officially, but that dream died with the advent of 4E. Happy to see new folks pushing out lore for these uncharted lands.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Apr 2017 : 21:27:06
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Why is Zehir there, but no Jazirian and/or Merrshaulk?

Honestly, I didn't spend a lot of time on the snake and reptile folk deity list because I didn't plan on there being a lot of them here (more reptile than snake). We have a lot of that type of interaction in Chult and the serpent kingdoms (and also the Lopango Jungle has the cayma lizard men from someone else's supplement that I'm referencing), so I was trying to stay away from it on a massive scale. Picturing the jungle filled more with the various frog folk (batrachi leavings), jungle bird folk (parrot folk, toucan folk, cockatoo folk), jungle cat folk (tabaxi and what would have been called rakasta on other worlds), tasloi, Nezumi/rat men, crocodilians (Khumat variation), loxo, giff, on one side of the continent and the other side having troglodytes and various apes and hags. Also playing with the idea of some saurials, but these saurials are from carnivores like raptors/T-Rex, etc... Oh, and the nyamma-numo will include standard dinosaurs, plus "kaiju" like creatures.
LordofBones Posted - 12 Apr 2017 : 13:43:36
Why is Zehir there, but no Jazirian and/or Merrshaulk?
sleyvas Posted - 10 Apr 2017 : 18:41:06
Thank you Aulddragon. To make it easier to read, I'll just break out bullets below

Refnara - noted will research

Kheiron - hmmm, he actually sounds more interesting. I never really got into the early stories of Hercules, so I assumed he was just their combat teacher (think this centaur was in the Percy Jackson movies as a combat trainer). If he's more, then this makes him more viable.

LURUE - YES!!! I can't believe I left off Lurue.. seriously, I'm stupid sometimes. I definitely want Lurue in this area with all kinds of magical involvement.

Eachthighern - I'm hesitant here ONLY because of the elves of evermeet reference here. However, that being said, I have this jungle area with cat people, but they're LED by winged cat people (i.e. sphinxes) and have tressym and great cats with wings, plus griffins and "alternate" griffins (i.e. not a eagle and lion mix... other birds and other cats), plus lammasu. I kind of wonder if this deity, even while being a horse deity couldn't maybe work there. Pondering....

On the loxo / giff thing

Yes, very much the idea here is one of "we're both stranded in a foreign land, lets make the best of it". The area where they land is going to be surrounded by the land of the nyamma-numo to their east (they're literally on the border with mountains separating them), such that that land is a death zone. To their north and west will be miles of jungles filled with dangers that ended up killing and eating those that ventured there. Basically, they tried long ago to get out of the jungle, and ended up settling for making a viable go of defending where they were at... and now a culture has grown. They'll be this culture that's surprised (and happy) to find other civilized folk whenever there's finally outsiders that get to them. I love the idea of them being pompous "british" types stuck "in this infernal hellhole with no proper tea". On the idea of including some orangutan folk (grommams) with them, I will have to look at that. I am kind of hesitant on this though, for the mere fact that on the other side of the continent from this, I'm sticking a "jungle hag" culture (the Wilderlands of the Green Empress) that has green skinned hags of varying types, has flying monkeys, flying apes, girallons, hagspawn, and oni (ogre-magi)... and yes, it is a reference to the wizard of oz.

Nearby will be another small spelljammer caused culture (this one actually crashing during the spellplague, not hundreds of years prior) which is Kara-Turan based (Wa and Shou both forced to work together) which I'm calling "the Jungles of the Jade Sovereignty". They and the hag culture will have been having at one another for the past hundred years.

Plant deities - good point. I don't know how much I actually plan to do with the jungle dryad concept truthfully. I plan more for myconids, vegepygmies and campestri (I love those little singing mushrooms... hmmm, a fungi god of song? Nah). I like the idea of Ghaunadar, since he's realmsian. Also, I forgot Moander, but I'll definitely list him too.

I was reaching with Kar'r'rga. Honestly I couldn't find any good crab deities. That being said, I don't have a lot planned for their culture, so thinking just listing blibdoolpoolp and dagon is enough. Eadro could work for the crabmen themselves, since they're less insane. I'm probably going to drop the Sartani anyway and just have the chuul, kuo-toans, merrow, and sahuagin as the nearby sea threats, with these groups not cooperating. I also want to have some non-sea elves in the area. Shalarin are actually supposed to be somewhere nearby, might be fun....

AuldDragon Posted - 08 Apr 2017 : 02:52:27
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Gnoll, Dog, Fox, and Wolf gods

Refnara is a deity of gnolls (originally from Dungeon #48), and takes the form of a serpent, so she could be in both categories.

quote:

horse deities (equiceph/zebraceph, centaurs, zebrataurs)
Kheiron (god of skill in combat)
Skerrit the Hoofed Lord (default centaur god)

Kheiron is a peaceful god of healing, knowledge, teaching, astrology, etc. In Greek mythology, he was the tutor of most of the major heroes (Achilles, Heracles, Theseus, etc.). He was explicitly not like normal Greek centaurs, as he had a different origin (son of the Titan Cronus).

I goofed on the listed for Skerrit; his most common (and canonical) epithet is the Forester rather than the Hoofed Lord (my own creation). I just haven't gone back and fixed the listings or my write-up. Doesn't necessarily affect what you want to do, just thought I'd mention it.

Eachthighern and Lurue might be in the list as well.

quote:

Giff and Loxo Deities (i.e. Elephant and Hippo deities... may work for Noceri and Rhinaurs too)

Over the years I've seen a lot of people connect the loxoth and the giff and I strongly resist that, as the only real connection they have are the continent of Africa. I find such connections to be simplistic and giving in to stereotypes. I did see your response farther down, though, and just wanted to get it off my chest. :)

I'm also VERY glad you didn't make some horrible Babar knock-off as a deity either. :D

Given their artwork portrayals, I imagine giff as being very much the the imperial and "great white hunter" type of upper-crust British officer from movies and books set between the late 1800s and the early 1900s, but exaggerated. Also, giff are not religious; they've lost their homeworld and in the original Spelljammer material they can't be priests (this was changed with the Player's Option material). Their military culture is extremely important to them, and they would be very resistant to changing it.

Given that you have the source of the loxoth and giff as a spelljamming ship, you could also add grommams (arboreal orangutan/gorilla humanoids) if you wanted to, as crew on the ship that crashed.

quote:

Plant People Deities myconids, vegepygmies, campestri, blights, and even jungle versions of dryads and treants

I don't know that I would have normal plants and fungi in the same category. Jungle versions of dryads and treants would likely worship their normal deities. For fungal creatures, Zuggtmoy and Ghaunadar would be viable.

quote:

Crabmen, Chuul, Sartani (Sartani are giant humanoid crabmen), and Kuo-Toan gods

Kar'r'rga (from golden voyages)

I toyed with crabmen worshipping Kar'r'rga, but the more I read about the deity, the less I felt it was appropriate (at least as a common deity); partly because there's little to connect them in the described mentality or between crabs and horseshoe crabs (the latter are more closely related to spiders than crabs). The Dungeon adventure Back to the Beach (Issue #50) made mention of "The Great Crab" and "Mother Ocean" in their religion. My latest thinking is that of the currently described deities, Eadro fits best.

quote:

Sahuagin Deities

There's also Anguileusis that a few rogue sahuagin might worship.

You can also look at Sub-Sahara African mythology and Native American mythology to expand some of the lists if you desire; a number of those mythoi involved animals and animal-people.

Jeff
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 12:44:29
quote:

I think I'm becoming a king of turning a topic into something else unintentionally :-)

Nothin wrong with becoming a king! You may have to update your icon.
sleyvas Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 12:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

So, rather than dirty up Aulddragon's thread

Clearly, sleyvas is far more considerate than I am.

I wish I could say that were true, but honestly.... I think I'm becoming a king of turning a topic into something else unintentionally :-)
sleyvas Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 12:26:37
quote:

Daragor is totally an oaf.

Neat ideas. I'm intrigued by a deity of the vulturefolk being tied to Hathor. Vultures are scavengers, and seemingly more evocative of death, thirst perhaps, and dispassionate consumption rather than life or birth. I'm not against paradoxes or juxtapositions, tho, and I do get some results googling "vulture as symbol of birth." Opportunity for some interesting lore!

Yeah, that was my first gut feeling too. The classic "bad vulture people". Then things started changing. I'm considering having a bunch of separate bird people cultures that are intermingled in various areas. For instance, a group of "sea" birds (pelicans and gulls), "jungle" birds (parrots, toucans, cockatoos), storks, vultures, peacocks, etc... The question is how to have them look physically (two wings and legs, like an aarakocra with just facial and coloring differences... wings, legs, and arms.... wings with fingers).
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 07:19:13
quote:

So, rather than dirty up Aulddragon's thread

Clearly, sleyvas is far more considerate than I am.
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 07:18:14
FR is mine, but I like SJ enough to not let it die. Realmspace Forever!

(But interestingly, I've never played or DM'd it either.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 02:37:25
quote:

Also: I for one would be interested in hearing about our Giant Space Hamster's confrontations with giff!

Heh. I've actually never done anything Spelljammer. It's just my first love of TSR settings.
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Apr 2017 : 00:02:29
Also: I for one would be interested in hearing about our Giant Space Hamster's confrontations with giff!
xaeyruudh Posted - 05 Apr 2017 : 23:54:40
Daragor is totally an oaf.

Neat ideas. I'm intrigued by a deity of the vulturefolk being tied to Hathor. Vultures are scavengers, and seemingly more evocative of death, thirst perhaps, and dispassionate consumption rather than life or birth. I'm not against paradoxes or juxtapositions, tho, and I do get some results googling "vulture as symbol of birth." Opportunity for some interesting lore!
sleyvas Posted - 05 Apr 2017 : 23:19:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Loxo are known for being a rather peaceful bunch... And the giff are known for being militaristic and for delighting in combat -- particularly if smoke powder is involved. (The giff love the MOAR BOOM! concept as much as Hollywood and WotC)

I really don't see those two races having much of anything to do with each other, and I would expect that deities appealing to one of those races would not appeal to the other.

Ah, interesting point when taken from that perspective. Where I'm taking that concept is that both were spelljamming on the same ships (the giff being hired mercs) as part of the fleet that scouted out landing the loxo into the Shaar & hordelands. This was several hundred years prior (and thus the giff had not discovered smoke powder as yet... we know the loxo that came to the Shaar was sometime around 1100-1150'ish DR timeframe). So, some loxo and giff crash land into Katashaka and have survived, and they've formed a culture together in order to survive, with the Loxo being more of the leaders and the giff being the militant arm.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Apr 2017 : 15:37:13
Loxo are known for being a rather peaceful bunch... And the giff are known for being militaristic and for delighting in combat -- particularly if smoke powder is involved. (The giff love the MOAR BOOM! concept as much as Hollywood and WotC)

I really don't see those two races having much of anything to do with each other, and I would expect that deities appealing to one of those races would not appeal to the other.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000