Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A Building Story in Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gareth Posted - 31 Mar 2017 : 12:39:15
Slightly odd question I hope fellow forumites can help with.

In 1st/2nd edition publications about Waterdeep, a lot of the major buildings were described as "Class A Wizards Domicile, 4 Stories" or similar phrasing.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen a definition of what a single story was in terms of height.

Also, to this further, are there any canon mentions on building restriction heights within Waterdeep, 5 stories seems to be the maximum suggested for the various building types, but 50-75 feet (based on 10-15 feet per story) does not seem that high.

Thanks
~Gareth
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gareth Posted - 31 Mar 2017 : 13:39:28
Thanks.
~G
Kentinal Posted - 31 Mar 2017 : 13:07:43
Well from: http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/cities/w_locales.shtml I find this
quote:
Class A Buildings: Class A buildings are always unique and distinctive landmarks of any scale. Most, however, are of a large and grandiose nature, almost built as much for show as for use. Examples include the city's public structures, major temples, and the nobles' villas.

Class B Buildings: Class B buildings cover the larger, more successful and elaborate single buildings within the city. They have up to six stories, and might have extensive cellars (usually connected to the sewers at some point). Most inns and guildhalls fall into this class. Examples include grand houses and mansions, prosperous businesses, large warehouses, and the guildhalls.

Class C Buildings: The great majority of buildings in Waterdeep are Class C - the tall row houses that line the streets to heights up to five stories. Row houses usually have shops on the ground floor, with offices.or apartments above that. While not always multi-story row houses, this class includes many of the better-kept taverns and rooming houses in the city as well.

Class D Buildings: Class D buildings are lesser buildings, usually one-story wooden buildings used as small warehouses, individual homes, and storage sheds for Waterdeep's lower classes. Such buildings are mainly found in Dock Ward, southernmost Castle Ward, and, in smaller numbers, in Southern Ward and Trades Ward.

There is also this: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19399 provided by Steven Schend that provides a slightly different class.

As to height of a story I would go with 10 foot each as the most likely matrix that was used. It makes it easier to map and craft the 10 foot cube. I however have not found a canon source so far.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000