Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Tales of the Yawning Portal: Sunless Citadel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 20:36:23
Here is the explanation as to where the Sunless Citadel was when it sank.

On Faerun, the Sunless Citadel was once a stronghold of the Cult of the Dragon, located in the foothills northwest of Thundertree. It plunged into the earth when Mount Hotenow erupted and threw Neverwinter into chaos.

Opinions.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2017 : 09:18:45
Again, they are not saying the Sunless Citadel does exist in the Realms -- they're saying that if an individual DM wants to use it in their own personal Realms, here's how to do it.

It's not lazy design to say "here's how to adapt something for your use."

What is lazy is refusing to consider what a product is and what it actually says, and continuing to spew vitriol based on your flawed, uninformed opinions of that product.
Shadowsoul Posted - 20 Mar 2017 : 06:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

WotC is playing in the Sword Coast/North. That way WotC can keep it simple and not get bogged down with "lore". Instead of having to update an entire omg gigantic setting with omg 30yrs worth of lore, WotC can focus/shoehorn on a small area of The Realms. Adventure League gets to play in their own sandbox. It kind of makes sense if you ask me. Everything else is "blank" so to speak...

Problem is the lore has been around for many years now and just hand waving it away and pretending what came before is just reckless and lots of times doesn't make sense when you look at the lore overall. Now if they were using areas that have no lore then it wouldn't be a problem, instead they use one of the most heavily lore areas and expect to just shoe horn it in.

Ignoring the lore of a setting that is renown for it's lore, and what actually makes it special beyond generic high fantasy, is just lazy design.
moonbeast Posted - 19 Mar 2017 : 09:59:25
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

You really can't let this go ey!

You're talking about a blurb which provides guidance for putting the citadel in DL, Greyhawk, Eberron, OR the Realms. That is NOT an explanation for where it sank. It's an idea for anyone who wants to plunk it in the Realms. It's not saying it's in the Realms. It's not even saying it has to be in that position in the Realms. It's saying you can put it in the Realms if you want (and they give an example placement), or any of the other settings, none emphazised over the other.

Edit: Link to the preview for those interested.

Thanks for the link.
Brimstone Posted - 17 Mar 2017 : 20:33:03
WotC is playing in the Sword Coast/North. That way WotC can keep it simple and not get bogged down with "lore". Instead of having to update an entire omg gigantic setting with omg 30yrs worth of lore, WotC can focus/shoehorn on a small area of The Realms. Adventure League gets to play in their own sandbox. It kind of makes sense if you ask me. Everything else is "blank" so to speak...
sleyvas Posted - 17 Mar 2017 : 14:25:03
Hmmm, you know what.... possibly one of the best things to do with these "not officially placed in the realms" entities that people want to use is simply to put it on one of the continents that we have very little done with. Anchorome's northlands, Katashaka, Osse, are all huge. Then there's the small island just off Katashaka's eastern coast (that someone labeled tabaxiland on the map I know we've all seen), and the island down by the southern pole (that someone labeled Land of the Flying Monkeys on the map I know we've all seen), then there's the Unknown lands to the west and northwest (which someone labeled Aurune) and north of Anchorome. That way its not all being shoehorned in. Another option would be to establish naturally occurring portals to Abeir in the transferred lands and stick these things in Abeir.

Personally, for instance, I've liked Jakandor ever since I was introduced to it by Markustay's comments. Its backstory with a little modification on dates absolutely fits the spellplague/sundering scenario, and it would absolutely fit the land right off the west coast of Katashaka that someone labeled tabaxiland if the map were simply rotated 135 degrees clockwise (which would of course mean rotating the compass on the map). The Charonti people absolutely could be related to the human tribes that were the creator races, or they could simply be an imported people from elsewhere (in fact, their history states "The time came when our airships and enchanted portals carried us beyond the shores of our island home"). Hmmm, I am really getting interested here, so gonna start another thread.
Cyrinishad Posted - 17 Mar 2017 : 13:21:47
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Ah guys, you're taking the bait!

It's not shoehorned in anywhere, that's just an example of somewhere to put it.... ahh, whatever.

Kanzen, you now have me thinking of designing a mighty artifact for Cyric called the "Shoe Horn"... Every other step unleashes the sound of the howling winds of Pandemonium!
Cyrinishad Posted - 17 Mar 2017 : 13:13:01
I was thinking that the Sunless Citadel would make sense to get dropped into the Cormanthor Forest, the Dales, or Cormyr instead...

The way I figure it, the Sword Coast is the place getting all the attention in 5e. And, if we're going down the road of importing adventures from other settings, it makes sense to me to put them in places that aren't getting as much "official" attention...
KanzenAU Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 23:52:38
Ah guys, you're taking the bait!

It's not shoehorned in anywhere, that's just an example of somewhere to put it.... ahh, whatever.
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 23:31:49
Well, I like the placement (because I'm going to play a Neverwinter Campaign), but yeah, it seems like another place shoehorned into the Sword Coast...
Diffan Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 21:21:39
Eh, seems like a wasted opportunity. Originally it was set on Oerth of Greyhawk and putting a version of it in the Realms is a cool idea. But seriously, another adventure site in the Neverwinter area? Ugh. I'm a HUGE fan of the Sword Coast but it seems like that's the only thing ever getting attention in the Realms. There's so much more they can (and should do) especially if WotC is going to place other setting's adventures and dungeons in the Realms.
KanzenAU Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 21:21:10
You really can't let this go ey!

You're talking about a blurb which provides guidance for putting the citadel in DL, Greyhawk, Eberron, OR the Realms. That is NOT an explanation for where it sank. It's an idea for anyone who wants to plunk it in the Realms. It's not saying it's in the Realms. It's not even saying it has to be in that position in the Realms. It's saying you can put it in the Realms if you want (and they give an example placement), or any of the other settings, none emphazised over the other.

Edit: Link to the preview for those interested.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000