Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Neverwinter Campaign Guide / Setting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TaeghenAmalith Posted - 11 Feb 2014 : 18:47:58
Hello sages.
In internet I can find two version of Neverwinter Campaign, one called SETTING and one called GUIDE.
In Amazon you can find GUIDE, in ebay both. I wonder if there are differences and why the same product has been released with two different titles...

Can you enlighten me?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 14 Mar 2017 : 18:00:56
DMs Guild is so unfriendly i cant even find my article by searching half the time and i know exactly what it is killed.

George, you can expect at least one further purchase and review for all your articles. My 7 year (childcare related) cash flow problem is coming to an end. As a result i will be back to buying all realmslore i can get my hand on (that of course discounts 5e because it isnt set in the forgotten realms - sorry but i just cant help it)
Thoth Posted - 14 Mar 2017 : 14:31:36
Wooly is right.

However, I have been on there a few times a checked things out, picked up a few things, but I can honestly say I haven't provided feedback. I picked up what I wanted and then went on to the next thing. In this "hustle and bustle" world with impatience and lack of time, people just want to satiate the hunger and forget to provide some feedback for the authors and potential buyers. It is pretty common in the consumer world today. I include myself in these comments.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Mar 2017 : 01:37:47
I wouldn't call it apathy, as much, as it is a poor system that doesn't really encourage reviews or make it easy to go back and find the article to review it. I'd be willing to bet that if an email was autogenerated, a week after the purchase, with a link back to the product page, asking for a review, it'd be a lot more likely to happen.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Mar 2017 : 22:30:23
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just had a semi-ebil idea (but isn't 'business', at its core, an evil concept? Anyhow...)

How about producing a brilliant 300+ page document (okay, maybe closer to a 100 - not everyone can be an Eric Boyd), and then posting the first part (or a 'condensed' version) on the DM's guild. Include in that a statement that says: "You can get Emailed the full version after you have provided a rating/review".

In fact, for what I plan, I can easily do this. Once I release the first two Area maps + indexes (which will most likely be released together), I will put in that, "no more maps will be forthcoming until I see at least 20 ratings/reviews". Or maybe, release just one of the two, and then put that up (since it takes me so long to finish anything, and most people know that, I should have one 'ready and waiting' to illicit the proper response).

Sounds like a plan.

I wish you luck. Given the general apathy I see out there in fandom, I'll bet you a cp you don't get 20 reviews/ratings. But that's my general dissatisfaction with the whole set-up shining through. On a positive note, I thought up powers for about 20 Swords of Impiltur yesterday. Now if only I was motivated to do some more DMs Guild releases to showcase them.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 13 Mar 2017 : 16:23:40
I just had a semi-ebil idea (but isn't 'business', at its core, an evil concept? Anyhow...)

How about producing a brilliant 300+ page document (okay, maybe closer to a 100 - not everyone can be an Eric Boyd), and then posting the first part (or a 'condensed' version) on the DM's guild. Include in that a statement that says: "You can get Emailed the full version after you have provided a rating/review".

In fact, for what I plan, I can easily do this. Once I release the first two Area maps + indexes (which will most likely be released together), I will put in that, "no more maps will be forthcoming until I see at least 20 ratings/reviews". Or maybe, release just one of the two, and then put that up (since it takes me so long to finish anything, and most people know that, I should have one 'ready and waiting' to illicit the proper response).

Sounds like a plan.
R P Davis Posted - 13 Mar 2017 : 15:17:33
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU
You can sort by adventure and stuff through the links on the right, but admittedly it's not very well tagged. And I totally agree that sorting through the hodge podge is just... is just... there's just too much... well, crap.

Speaking as a writer who has product on DMs Guild, the tagging has to be done by whoever lists the content. If that person omits the tags, it doesn't get tagged.

And Mr Krashos is right - ratings are a bane. I've had my products downloaded hundreds of times, and have received one rating. ONE. No reviews, just one rating.

As an experiment, I began adding a blurb in the first couple paragraphs of my work begging for a review or rating, complete with link to the product's DMs Guild entry. Still nothing.

Of course, this assumes that consumer ratings are actually worth anything.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Mar 2017 : 02:47:13
quote:

So there is no 'popularity' type of rating system going on? I haven't really played with the DM's Guild thingie yet. It should be setup like how STEAM does it for things like add-ons - you can look at whats 'most popular' (trending within a certain time-period you set), or you can look by specific criteria {ie, 'buildings').

Why is it everything 'internet' WotC does falls flat?

As much as I enjoy bashing WotC for their online ineptitude, it's not them, this time. The DM's Guild is part of OneBookShelf, which includes the DM's Guild, DriveThruRPG, and RPGNow. The sites were created independently of WotC; WotC had nothing to do with them for a long time. The sites host pdfs for a lot of different gaming companies; I've bought 3rd party D&D stuff, WotC stuff, and BattleTech stuff there, all in one purchase.

I, too, have issues with how the site is set up -- in particular, I'd love it if you could see who the author of a DM's Guild offering was from the general list of stuff.

I do like the convenience of the sites being integrated, but the subpar setup of the sites, in general, is not WotC's fault.
KanzenAU Posted - 05 Mar 2017 : 01:30:47
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That's absolutely right. But I'm struggling with the whole set-up of the DMs Guild now. Your release gets swamped by another twenty that get released in the next day or two, there are no categories so people who are looking for adventures can go there, while others who are looking for class options/add-ons can go to another, to those looking for new spells and magic items, etc. etc. It's just a massive hodge podge of .... hodge podge. Have started to think that I get more pleasure out of writing something for myself and sending it through to Ed than spending many hours coming up with something that 536 people download (because it's free - my Enchanting Elixirs article is the example here) and only 4 provide feedback. I guess that's human nature though ...

-- George Krashos

You can sort by adventure and stuff through the links on the right, but admittedly it's not very well tagged. And I totally agree that sorting through the hodge podge is just... is just... there's just too much... well, crap.
Markustay Posted - 04 Mar 2017 : 20:58:16
So there is no 'popularity' type of rating system going on? I haven't really played with the DM's Guild thingie yet. It should be setup like how STEAM does it for things like add-ons - you can look at whats 'most popular' (trending within a certain time-period you set), or you can look by specific criteria {ie, 'buildings').

Why is it everything 'internet' WotC does falls flat?

Anyhow, of all my recent purchases, believe it or not, Storm King's Thunder is proving the most useful. Its like the 5th edition version of the Neverwinter Campaign Guide (I found the Sword Coast Guide pretty useless, for what I do. Its was mostly information useful to players; SKT had all the geography bits I needed - its like the campaign guide we've been needing).
George Krashos Posted - 04 Mar 2017 : 08:35:40
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:
So thats two pdf's I have to get today. When people ask me if I make any money off my maps, I laugh and say, "No, they COST me money to make". LOL

I feel that. Every single cent I've earned on the DMsGuild has been poured straight back into the pdf library, which helps build knowledge for the next thing... not to mention the tiny payoff for the amount of work that goes in. But, we do it because we love it, right?

That's absolutely right. But I'm struggling with the whole set-up of the DMs Guild now. Your release gets swamped by another twenty that get released in the next day or two, there are no categories so people who are looking for adventures can go there, while others who are looking for class options/add-ons can go to another, to those looking for new spells and magic items, etc. etc. It's just a massive hodge podge of .... hodge podge. Have started to think that I get more pleasure out of writing something for myself and sending it through to Ed than spending many hours coming up with something that 536 people download (because it's free - my Enchanting Elixirs article is the example here) and only 4 provide feedback. I guess that's human nature though ...

-- George Krashos
ghilteras Posted - 04 Mar 2017 : 00:33:53
I don't think that book is 5e though, is it? I'm asking because if it is 4e well pretty much everything from 4e was scrapped or rebooted or.. I don't know, erased during the second sundering
KanzenAU Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 00:21:57
quote:
So thats two pdf's I have to get today. When people ask me if I make any money off my maps, I laugh and say, "No, they COST me money to make". LOL

I feel that. Every single cent I've earned on the DMsGuild has been poured straight back into the pdf library, which helps build knowledge for the next thing... not to mention the tiny payoff for the amount of work that goes in. But, we do it because we love it, right?
Markustay Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 17:31:11
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You can get it from DriveThruRPG for $20.

Thanks for the info - I'll be getting this pdf today.

Its weird, because I KNOW I've read through parts of it before, and yet I don't have it. They only thing I can think of is that I was reading it IN the bookstore (and then wound-up purchasing something else... I do that some times).

Arivia Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 09:29:12
And it's worth the purchase no matter what edition of the Realms you play, IMO. A lot of good stuff in there.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 01:39:19
You can get it from DriveThruRPG for $20.
Markustay Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 00:56:42
Threadomancy

Is there a way of getting a (legal) pdf of this book? I can finding a listing for it on the WotC site, but it only says 'hardcover' (and gives no info on how to acquire it, regardless). I just assumed all WotC books were available as pdf's - is that not so?
TaeghenAmalith Posted - 07 Mar 2014 : 21:18:48
Thank You. It's arrived and it's the "setting". I wonder where they found an image of the book with the word "guide" instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nshtx4utu69s5e/%24_12.JPG

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Mar 2014 : 19:10:53
Speaking as one of the authors, there's only one Neverwinter Campaign Setting book. Both probably refer to the same thing.

Cheers
Derulbaskul Posted - 12 Feb 2014 : 01:47:50
I think the product name may have changed during development but SETTING is the only one that was published.
TaeghenAmalith Posted - 11 Feb 2014 : 20:29:56
If you look at the cover, the only thing that change is the word Guide/Setting, the illustration is the same. I wonder if it's another edition, possibly the english one... does anybody have the one with guide?
Diffan Posted - 11 Feb 2014 : 19:46:17
I think the setting refers to the book for 4e. Not sure about the guide

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000