Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do you roleplay gnomes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cards77 Posted - 05 Feb 2017 : 03:34:52
I haven't had much experience playing gnomes as a DM or a PC. I have only used a few gnome NPCs. They seem to be the "forgotten race" of the Realms.

Well now due to a random encounter, my party has been captured by rock gnomes and taken to their village.

The village is a series of burrows and warrens, with some above ground pastures and orchards/field.

All are shrouded by powerful illusion magic. Our elf wizard (Olin Gisir), happened to roll a natural 20 and was able to see that something wasn't right near a pasture. He then cast dispel magic and suppressed a small area of the illusion, uncovering a rock fence, pasture and sheep (in the middle of nowhere).

The party then rode on through and on contact with the illusion, all was revealed.

Party was quickly spotted and a few gnome outriders surrounded and disarmed the PCs. Our hobgoblin scout ran away and they chased after him (he isn't evil he was raised among humans).

The gnomes blindfolded the party and took them into the warrens, where they were locked in store rooms (a small village wouldn't have a dungeon I wouldn't think). They don't even have much for warriors.

The party was brought before the council of elders. They have no clue what to do with a dwarf cleric of Moradin, elf wizard, a huge human fighter (6'4" 225 lbs), half-elf cleric of Chauntea.

I still haven't decided how to handle what they would do with the hobgoblin scout.

No one speaks Gnomish.

The wizard has a feychild necklace and had some high diplomacy rolls (30+). He's convinced them that we aren't a threat and simply in search of a crypt (Crypt of Carthagax the Reaver).

The gnomes know where the crypt is, and one of their children disappeared near it, but this is a matter of great shame to them, as leaving the hidden village and exploring is very shameful in gnome culture. They will not ask for help.

My problem is I don't really know much about gnomes or gnome society. I'm trying to play them as frankly confused about what to do with this strange group, stout folk, fair folk, "big folk", and a hobgoblin.

I know they would rather hide than fight so I don't see them actually harming the hobgoblin. But now the group knows where their village is (not that it's easy to find).

I know they are mostly craftsman, and few warriors. Most everyone practices an art of some kind. I imagine them having a small contingent of Wardens to keep them safe.

The elders have invited the party to a community banquet in the main common area. I imagine they would have things like sausages, mutton, possibly fungus, and some root vegetables.

I'd like to have the party interact with some of the populace, so I asked them to think of some items they could trade. I figured gnomes so isolated would be interested in trading?

I'm not sure. Would they be shy? Suspicious? Curious? Angry at this intrusion? Indifferent?

I am playing the children and curious, mischievous, and using their innate spell like abilities to play pranks on the PCs, and each other.

Any ideas? Would gnomes be open to bartering with strangers?

IMPORTANT: What sorts of items would they trade to the PCs? I want it to feel unique to gnomes and not just the usual.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moonbeast Posted - 16 Mar 2017 : 10:27:57
Thanks to above posters that suggested the Soldiers on Ice book. It seems from (Amazon) book reviews that it does have a very good section detailing a gnomish clan. I'm placing an order for this tonight!

I ran a unique informal all-Gnomish guild in the original Everquest (over a decade ago)….. we were the Dread Gnome Pirates, the DGP. Mostly a group of fun-loving adventurers and pranksters. Since most of us gnomes were (high-INTEL) spellcasters, we knew we'd never become a high-end raiding guild (you need a small army of fighters and clerics and tanks for that). EQ gnome lore was vaguely based on original AD&D and Dragonlance material, which means we were in the role of industrial tinkering spellcasters. Tinkering was one of the "crafting skills" on the original Everquest MMORPG that any character race could learn, although the gnomes had a small headstart if I recall.

I also wrote, way back then, the original lore of Tinkerfest, the Gnomish high holiday which occurs once every 4 years. Thanks to me befriending a couple of the Sony (Sony Online Entertainment) devs, who also played the game obsessively, Tinkerfest eventually became an official in-game "event" that would happen annually on the Everquest servers. In these special events, there would be festival type games, contests, and many prizes awarded (including in-game magic items!).

I'd love to post the Story of Tinkerfest here if I have time to dig it up. It's a very gnomish story. The holiday of Tinkerfest commemorates the struggle and story of the original "Tinker Princess"…. in an ancient gnomish kingdom (Everquest vaguely had gnomish subterranean kingdoms). It also involves a dragon, as well as a clockwork dragon!

sleyvas Posted - 09 Mar 2017 : 14:05:09
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There have been some gnomes scattered around in FR novels -- I think one of the Harpers novels had a flock of them, and I know one of Elaine's books had a gnome minor character.

Yeah, Soldiers of Ice had a very well-written gnomish community way out in the remote cold lands, I think it was set in Vaasa, but would have to double check. They were all about hiding in their warren, being distrustful of strangers, basically everything Cards mentioned in the OP. David Cook did a really good job bringing their culture to life, might be worth the read if your going to continue utilizing this little gnomish community.

I want to say you're right in that it was the bloodstone lands definitely (I think Vaasa too, but may have been Damara on a slim chance).
Markustay Posted - 08 Mar 2017 : 23:08:35
I recall some 'gnomish stuff' in a Waterdeep novel. It may have been the one Elaine and Ed wrote, but it may have also been a more recent one, like Mistshore.

It had to do with 'The Warrens' which is where the 'wee folk' (Gnomes, halflings, and perhaps others) hide away from the 'big folk', and can 'be themselves' (which apparently is much more pragmatic and somber then the 'act' they put on for humans and others). The only thing I recall from the story was that the small folk didn't like anyone 'big'coming to the Warrens for that reason; they work very hard at maintaining an appearance of smiling, happy-go-lucky, harmless folk... and nothing could be further from the truth. At least, thats the vibe I got.

Ed's article in issue #269 of Dragon Magazine - The Hin Nobody Knows - also covered gnomes, and some of their settlements, and also some of the not-so-nice behavior those settlements are known for ('hiding stolen goods' seems to be a gnomish pastime in several places in The Realms - I guess when the owners never come back, it makes it all the sweeter). They also fence goods, and do other things 'against the local law' within human kingdoms, because it seems they often fall beneath the notice of the authorities, who never bother to look in the direction of their smiling faces.

They're the types to 'sell weapons to both sides' in a conflict, and do so inconspicuously. It makes me think there should be some sort of gnomish 'black ops', just in-case their more covert activities are found-out (like someone they've been fencing goods for gets caught by the authorities, and the next day the guy is found dead with his throat slashed, still in his cell - that sort of stuff).
The Sage Posted - 08 Mar 2017 : 03:22:17
Other gnomish tales:-

"Speaking with the Dead" -- originally printed in Realms of Mystery and included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

And "Stolen Dreams" as well -- originally printed in DRAGON #259 and also included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

Stevcen Schend included one of my favourite Realms gnome characters [a gnome priest of Baravar Cloakshadow] in his novel Blackstaff Tower.
Cards77 Posted - 08 Mar 2017 : 02:10:12
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

There have been some gnomes scattered around in FR novels -- I think one of the Harpers novels had a flock of them, and I know one of Elaine's books had a gnome minor character.

Yeah, Soldiers of Ice had a very well-written gnomish community way out in the remote cold lands, I think it was set in Vaasa, but would have to double check. They were all about hiding in their warren, being distrustful of strangers, basically everything Cards mentioned in the OP. David Cook did a really good job bringing their culture to life, might be worth the read if your going to continue utilizing this little gnomish community.

Interesting that you mention that. I haven't read that book but my wife just read it. She is one of the players and she said I played the gnomes almost exactly the way they were portrayed in that novel

I don't know if I'm happy or if I lacked originaality without even knowing it. lol

The players thought it was good so that's all that matters.

It felt different from any other racial encounter we have had.
Cards77 Posted - 08 Mar 2017 : 02:07:15
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

I think much would be solved with a famous gnome hero the D&D players read about in books, or know from some source, PC game or whatever. As it is, the most famous D&D gnome I can think of is Scanlan Shorthalt, from the Critical Role D&D show on geek and sundry, probably most famous for being a immature, funny bard, and his cry-trough-his-poo potion.

Belwar Dissengulp I thought was the most famous gnome.

Or possibly Nanfoodle. He's my favorite!
VikingLegion Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 20:24:09
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 20:00:11

But they've never really being in the forefront... In fact, one of the things I recall from the old AD&D comic was when they did the "Everyone wants to rule the Realms" issue -- they didn't have any gnome characters to use in their slideshow, and showed a generic gnome, instead. Since all the other slides were of characters from the comics, and showed them hanging out in Earth clothes (and Kyri in a bikini!), that one really stood out.
VikingLegion Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 19:56:55
There's an MMORPG in development right now called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. It's an intentional throwback and spiritual successor to the original Everquest and games of that era. I'm guessing nobody here has heard of it, mainly because: A) it's still in pre-alpha, and B) it is not going to be a AAA title, but rather a niche game for a very specific type of gamer.

Anyway, before I start to sound like a product shill, they have one of the most unique and interesting takes on gnomes I've seen. Their gnomes are insatiable arcanists, diving so deeply into a particular power source (The Elos Star - their version of the Weave, I suppose) they actually give up their corporeal bodies and become pure energy. In game they all wear masks and armour made of a material that they bond to, allowing them to have a physical form in which to manipulate the world around them. Here's a pic and writeup:

http://pantheonmmo.com/races/gnomes/

They're still obsessed with magic, as well as being heavy industrialists. They are the most enigmatic and least understood of the playable races, spending most of their time holed up in a floating rock city - like unfathomable little bees in a suspended hive.
Starshade Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 18:40:53
I think much would be solved with a famous gnome hero the D&D players read about in books, or know from some source, PC game or whatever. As it is, the most famous D&D gnome I can think of is Scanlan Shorthalt, from the Critical Role D&D show on geek and sundry, probably most famous for being a immature, funny bard, and his cry-trough-his-poo potion.
Cards77 Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 23:53:15
I'm more like wooly in the fact that I never really noticed them. But since I started DMing, I realized that they add a distinct flavor and they DO have a niche, somewhere between dwarves and halflings. Sounds like there is a need for more gnome lore. I would like to expand on what I've already written and do some write ups on some small gnome communities, with various cultural aspects. I still am a bit confused about the difference between "rock" and "forest" gnomes. Feels a bit like the whole "hill" vs "mountian' dwarves from Dragonlance.
TBeholder Posted - 04 Mar 2017 : 00:56:26
How about Mr. Welch gnomes?
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

My problem with splat-book races isn't so much the lore itself, but rather, that they wasted that space creating a race no-one really uses or cares about, when we already had existing races that could have been expanded upon, and really used all that juicy lore.

Splatbook nonsense is but a symptom of what goes on: in 3.x era D&D became a "formerly loud name" bandwagon with little to no quality control and surprise, surprise - it quickly ended up as a blob of barnacles and lampreys allowed to cling to whatever and whoever was good in AD&D2 era.
Which demonstrates the rule of continuity degradation, too: "Any sufficiently established franchise is indistinguishable from fanfic". Which is one of the reasons why "Grubbyverse" Planescape was never replaced by anything coherent comparable to it, just drunk mumbling.
Introducing Very Speshul tiny little things as splatbook novelties in itself is not a big problem - look at Mystara. At least are, indeed, easy to ignore. Which is better than everything established being turned on its ears and squashed into one more stupid fanfic.
Conversely, "one sinkhole" policy and "what the world spins around this month" gimmick events are bound to bury anything left worth looking at under mountain ranges of junk.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2017 : 17:20:47
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

We're beginning to drift, but I just want to respond to Wooly's last comment -

My problem with splat-book races isn't so much the lore itself, but rather, that they wasted that space creating a race no-one really uses or cares about, when we already had existing races that could have been expanded upon, and really used all that juicy lore.

Exactly. I'd've rather seen existing races expanded upon, rather than others shoe-horned in to fill page count.

Gnomes and halflings in the Realms have, pardon all the puns, gotten the short end of the stick. Humans get most of the coverage, and elves have gotten a lot of coverage, too. Dwarves haven't had a huge amount of coverage, but at the very least, there is a dwarven sourcebook that came to us from Ed's own pen. Gnomes and halflings have had very little coverage... So there has been little to set them apart and really make them interesting, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, the best coverage Realms halflings have had was in a Known World sourcebook! Sure, it's not the Realms, but it's from Ed's pen, and when I said to him it could be used for Luiren, he responded with "Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;} "

Heck, the drow have had more coverage in Realmslore than gnomes and halflings have, and until recently, the drow were not one of the core races.

Now, I'm not a fan of Golarion's gnomes, but the Bleaching is an interesting idea -- it's something that really sets the race apart and makes them distinctive. And Midgard's gnomes, with their collective racial terror of Baba Yaga driving them to consort with fiends, that's a really interesting spin. We don't have anything like that for Realms gnomes.

They're called the Forgotten Folk in-setting... But they've largely been forgotten in the source material, too, and that's a shame.
Markustay Posted - 03 Mar 2017 : 15:13:38
We're beginning to drift, but I just want to respond to Wooly's last comment -

Prime examples - Raptorans. What the hell? Did anyone ever play one? Why hadn't that lore been applied to the Aarakocra, or avariels? The lore itself is good, the race redundant and unnecessary.

And don't even get me started on 'Goliaths'. Not only does the name make me want to strangle someone, but we already had a MUCH better race fit in that niche - the Firbolgs. Bob Salvatore did a few cool things with them, and so did Troy Denning. They are a great race, with some neat gimmicks and they look awesome. 'Goliaths' isn't just a silly sounding name, they are ugly, lumpy... *just yuck*. They look like something a 5-year-old came up with. Those things will NEVER exist on any RPG world I play on, and most certainly not be in the Forgotten Realms. Hell, even 'half-giants' (Athas) are better than those dumb-ass things.

The fluff that went with them, though, is pretty good, which just infuriates me more. All of that could have gone to the firbolgs, who've been in D&D practically from the beginning, and have EARNED the right to be in a splatbook.

And to bring this back around, I went looking for cool-looking gnomes, and found THIS, which should give folks some inspiration. I love the one in the top hat with the bow.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2017 : 04:19:13
I should like to expand on my previous statement, just a bit... I am no fan of halflings and gnomes, but I don't dislike them, either. The races just hold no appeal for me.

I generally don't even think about them, unless I've a concept that specifically calls for one of those races -- like the halfling assassin I thought up, or the gnome monster hunter. The halfling assassin I came up with because of the sheer unlikeliness of that class/race combo, and the monster hunter became a gnome because I wanted to use a rather gnomish name I'd thought up.

Other races that don't work for me include aasimar and just about anything that was thought up for a splat book. There are exceptions to the latter, but a lot of those races have been uninspiring and generic, IMO.

I do like tinker gnomes, though.
The Sage Posted - 03 Mar 2017 : 03:17:06
I've long established my love for all-things-gnome across the various D&D worlds. And whilst I do care deeply for the gnomes of the Realms in particular, I'm comfortable with their rather "forgotten" status, since it's an aspect of their race that's been perpetuated since the earliest days of the published Realms.

From the Ol' Grey Box [Cyclopedia of the Realms pg. 46]:-
quote:

The Gnomes are called the Forgotten Folk of the Forgotten Realms, for despite the fact they seem an everyday sight in major cities, and have goodsized communities of their own, they seem unbothered by the world and similarly only rarely become involved with it.
Markustay Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 19:09:58
I like the Midgard gnomes Wooly detailed above, which sound similar to the Arcanum/My take on them (friendly little fellows in public, but if you turn your back on them WATCH OUT). More in line with traditional (folklore) kobolds, like how Tony DiTerlizzi drew them)

I also like what Paizo did with theirs, although I would take all of that fluff and maybe apply it to something else, like some sort of brownies/Urchin/leprechaun type of fey race. Weirdly, the 'turning grey' part makes me think of the Fairly Odd Parents cartoon take on pixies and fairies.

But standard, D&D gnomes? Just no. Don't like them normal, and don't like the brief, 2e 'wood gnome' variant (which was basically taken from garden gnomes/the old cartoon show). The Krynn/DL version is okay, but I'd like them more 'grittier' and less crazy (so steampunkish - that would be okay). Once again, though, I'd apply that to a more 'kobold' type of creature (or Iron Kingdom's goblins, which are just AWESOME).

In my homebrew lore, I plan to spin them as fey-variant of dwarves, with maybe two branches - Prime material 'tinkers', and Feywild dwellers (that would be more like Tolkien's hobbits, living in burrows).

I'm with Wooly once again - never cared much for halflings either. As much as I dislike Dragonlance, at east they did something interesting with Kender. FR/D&D standard hin are just 'small humans', and thats kinda boring, IMO.

EDIT:
I just got a nifty idea - what if the feywild had borders with all the outer planes? (Does it? With the ever-changing cosmology I wouldn't know, plus the Feywild is actually sort of 'new', edition-wise). And what if fey creatures were sort of like 'sponges' in a weird way, becoming very much like things they live near (so fey living close to humans would behave a lot like humans, etc).

What sparked this idea was thinking of those 'tinker gnomes' and Mechanus (Nirvana) - what if those types of gnomes live close to the border with that plane (or close to gates there)? So it isn't just the landscape and structures that are affected by this 'planer pull' (infectious synchronicity), but also creatures as well (which makes sense, giving the types of people that live in the Gate Towns). So you could have gnomes of many different varieties, all based on different planes (watch out for those hell-Gnomes, they'll feed your soul to Asmodeus!).

Maybe all fey behave this way (didn't gnomes become fey in 4e?), and maybe the Great Wheel turns, and different parts of the Wheel come into contact with different parts of the Feywild (and Shadowfel) as it spins. That could explain the seasonal 'courts' - maybe the winter court and summer court are the same thing, but you are catching them at different times (when they are 'coterminus' with different outer planes).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 17:30:24
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

So we can all agree gnomes are awesome, and vastly underrated

Actually, I've never been a fan of gnomes or halflings. Dwarves I like, but not the other short folk. They just don't interest me, most of the time.
Cards77 Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 16:28:51
So we can all agree gnomes are awesome, and vastly underrated
sleyvas Posted - 27 Feb 2017 : 20:31:46
quote:

One last question. Would gnomes ride small ponies or riding dogs? :)

giant badgers and giant weasels would be common for adventurous typesguards. I'd even throw in giant raccoons (stat wise maybe use giant badgers). Deer might also be fairly common in forest gnome communities. Ponies and Mules should be extremely common. Other than that, yeah, wolves and mastiffs might also be used, but they're probably less likely to be found in gnome communities.
Varl Posted - 27 Feb 2017 : 15:37:52
I love gnomes as a race. They're the best illusionists in the game, in fact, human illusionists that desire to learn more illusory spells go to gnome masters to train and learn the intricacies of illusory magic.

Gnomes make great rogues. They're small enough to get into areas larger rogues shake their heads at in amazement.

I also think they make great warriors. Who else can stand in the front lines of melee and give the backline rangers, mages and priests open and easy firing paths?

Gnomes make great craftsgnomes too. Their proficiency with jewelcrafting and gems is unmatched imo and they make decent smiths.

From a cultural standpoint, I like gnomes that are happy-go-lucky, inquisitive, opinionated, staunch when set on a topic and thrill seekers. However, just like the rest of the races, they have their people that turn to evil and brigandry.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2017 : 16:53:38
Gnomes in Midgard are an interesting deviation from the norm... From page 32 of the Midgard Campaign Setting:

quote:
Found throughout Midgard in small numbers, gnomes have a single primary home, the dark forest of Neimheim and its surrounding territory. They have a terrible reputation as swindlers, kidnappers, diabolists, and charmers. As individuals, the small men in their amusing hats and pointy boots seem silly. However, as a race they have struck one or more diabolical bargains for power with Baba Yaga or archdevils, and this has led them to turn inward. Their only close allies are the shadow fey, though goblins and kobolds and gnolls are not too particular in their choice of friends, either.

A gnome prince once made a bargain with Baba Yaga and then broke it... And if you know of Baba Yaga, you know that whatever the setting, she is scary with a capital S. So the gnomes were -- rightfully so -- in terror of Baba Yaga, when a devil from the Eleven Hells showed up to make a bargain with the gnomish king. The deal was basically that the gnomish homeland would be hidden and protected from Baba Yaga, in return for blood and souls.

So the gnomes of Midgard have a lot in common with gnomes in most D&D settings -- except for the bound to Hell part. They craft stuff, they live in the forest, they sneak around, and they grab people to sacrifice to maintain their protection against Baba Yaga. (Strangers are greatly preferred to sacrificing gnomes, though they'll do the latter if they must)

Their current king isn't happy with this arrangement, and would like to be rid of their Hellish allies. But that would require coming to some sort of peaceful arrangement with Baba Yaga, and she's not the forgiving type.
shades of eternity Posted - 26 Feb 2017 : 14:28:18
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2016/08/thoughts-about-gnomes.html

Did a pretty thorough analysis on gnomes a while back.

while not strictly fr related, it might help give you an idea of what you can do with it.

Stormlord Posted - 12 Feb 2017 : 05:51:14
Greetings.

The type of creature a gnome would ride is also depends on location. In one of the Dalelands modules (I think it was Sword of the Dales) the gnomes within the Spiderhaunt Woods tame/train/ride giant spiders.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Feb 2017 : 22:11:20
Gnomes might ride large dogs, the way goblins ride large wolves. I'm not talking about any common variety of "big dog", I'm talking about wargs and winter wolves, the sorts of beasts which are more the size of a bear or a pony than the size of a german shepherd. Or maybe large reptiles, large felines, large spiders, giant slugs - why not?
Ari Posted - 08 Feb 2017 : 17:55:41
Ponies, 100%, assuming they hadn't bred a kind of tiny horse or mule. Dogs aren't very good mounts, and look way worse when you come riding in on one.
Cards77 Posted - 08 Feb 2017 : 14:03:33
One last question. Would gnomes ride small ponies or riding dogs? :)
Ari Posted - 06 Feb 2017 : 05:41:57
This sounds fantastic, Cards77! I'm sorry I'm not one of your players, though perhaps that's for the best.
Cards77 Posted - 06 Feb 2017 : 03:29:23
This is how it played out: The community banquet went off quite well. Much sausage, cheese, cottage cheese, goats milk, buttered moss and mushrooms were consumed. Along with much mushroom wine and mead. Dessert was cloudberry and bearberry pies.

After the meal instruments were brought out and music and dancing began. Some instruments were gnomish inventions, variations on a foot powered accordion, and a sheep stomach rudimentary bag pipes.The pan pipes, lute and drums were of the utmost craftsmanship (even the dwarf was impressed). Illusionists created elaborate scenarios for entertainment. Wizards fighting dragons. Comical trolls chasing the children. Many gnomes asked our PCs every possible question. The gnomes had much debate as to whether our fighter had giant's blood (he's 6'4" 250ish lbs).

The party had several mundane items for trade as all magic items had been taken away. But we still had misc gems, small items like smokesticks, tindertwigs, mess kits, healer kit, map making kit, ink quills, our trail rations etc.

The outriders eventually caught our hobgoblin scout, and he was brought into the common hall. Everything stopped.......

the children cowered in fear under their mothers skirts. Everyone moved to the opposite side of the hall. Our hobgoblin was in chains and a catch pole around his neck. He is quite frightful looking, yellow eyes, large canines, very strong and lean 6'0" 200+ lbs. Filthy dreadlocks, a belt made from the hair of a hobgoblin chieftain.

Our elf was able to convince the elders to allow the hobgoblin to join our group in the feast, but under heavy guard. The festivities resumed if somewhat tentatively.

Eventually one of the gnomes who had an eye on our gem stones worked up the courage to come forward. He was a weaponsmith and he had created a dagger that appeared to be nothing but a small bone carving of an eagles head. But, if you touch the eye a hidden button causes a spring loaded blade to shoot out, as if the blade was thrown. Or another catch can be flipped to retain the blade in the handle like a switch blade.

It was ours for about 20 platinum in coins and gems.

Once the hobgoblin caught on to the bartering, he laid out a small leather wrapped bundle, an extremely high quality lock, some steel fish hooks, and some hand made throwing darts. One of the Wardens had his eye on the fish hooks, and gave some smoke pellets in return.

A young miner gnome desired the fancy lock, and gave the hobgoblin a spring loaded extendable metal pole that he uses to test the tunnel ceilings for cave ins. About the length of a short sword, it has pins on either end, and can be extended up to 10 feet to act as a trap springer, wedge open a door, even strong enough to tight rope walk across a gap.

The hob grudgingly gave up his best practice lock for the gnomish pole.

All was well in the end. The elders mentioned that tribes of orcs had moved into the Evermoors. Even orogs had been seen. Hunting has been poor, and the trolls have moved out south and west toward the Evermoor Way. They hinted that perhaps the hob could learn from the orcs why they have come to the Evermoors. This will hook my group into the next adventure (the hall of the frost giant jarl) in the Spine of the World. The frost giants have pushed the orcs out of the spine of the world to the south, the orcs in turn displaced the trolls causing all the attacks along the Evermoor Way.

Markustay Posted - 06 Feb 2017 : 01:02:31
quote:

ummm..wow lol
And I even left-out the worst part - the unwilling human females ALWAYS die in childbirth.

Yeah... *UGH*

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000