Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Relic hunting guild in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Baptor Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 04:29:30
Scribes,

I am running a FR game soon and plan to have the party be members of an elite guild of treasure and relic hunters who seek out lost objects of lore and magic to either protect them (that belongs in a museum!) or to destroy them if they are evil or too dangerous.

Think Lara Croft or Indiana Jones, but a guild.

Is there an existing organization already in the Realms that does this kind of thing? I always like to use existing Realmslore if possible.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Barastir Posted - 03 Mar 2017 : 11:07:06
There are some elven relic hunter orders among the faithful of Corellon, Sehanine and Labelas, IIRC.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2017 : 04:26:44
You know what might be fun? Create such a group, but secretly have it being run by some very bad guys. Maybe the PCs are sold on this mission of "keeping powerful items out of the wrong hands" -- not realizing that to the folks running this group, "wrong hands" means "not our hands."

Then one day the PCs are sent to find this nifty thing, the doodad of niftiness. What they don't know is that the actual mission is for the thingy of kewlness. Of course they find both, but for whatever reason, they keep the thingy of kewlness.

Suddenly, some surprisingly well-informed assassins are after them. After a lot of running and dodging, the PCs finally figure out what they've got and who they were really working for... So now, of course, they feel obligated to stop these bad guys. Unfortunately, the PCs themselves have supplied the villains with a small arsenal of magical toys....
portose_sharpe Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 09:24:34
3rd edition ( epic handbook )

"The Gleaners" Hunt Artifacts and any magic item they see as powerful across the planes. Very elite group. 500+ members and lead by a council currently of 7 wizards, ranging from level 21 to 27
VikingLegion Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 04:52:17
It's not a perfect match, but the Society of Stalwart Adventurers, based in Suzail might scratch that itch. I think they've devolved, for the most part, into a "good ol' boys" club of pompous windbags, but there are some core members who strive to do good. About a year ago I read The Ring of Winter and used the same line as you (that belongs in a museum!) because one of the main characters - Artus Cimber - gave me a bit of a Young Indy vibe.

Again, not a great match, but maybe something you can tweak to fit your needs if you can't find something better.
moonbeast Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 04:49:20
I'm sure this idea had been proposed at least once in some of the older Dragon Magazine articles, etc. But in any case, it's a good idea, I'd say go for it! Who cares if there is already a cannon Realmslore that says such a group already existed? Go ahead and create another such group tailored just for the enjoyment of YOUR players!

And remember…. a successful Relic Hunters Guild could potentially be an incredibly powerful group. They will also attract lots of enemies in the end. Eventually, bands of greedy wizards, bandits, liches, and even the Zhentarim's assassins will hunt them down for their precious toys.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000