Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Hello!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Taleras Posted - 17 Feb 2017 : 15:55:14
Hi all, and well met,

I had my first D&D experience in high school, when visiting my cousin I joined in on his campaign for a session. Little Wabdakin, a gnome fighter was with them for a spell. Since then I've had an interest, but never really chased it until not too long ago the Legend of Drizzt short stories were free on Audible. I downloaded it and eventually made it through my list to this little anthology. I was hooked, right away! I went back and played some old games (NWN and BG) and started reading some books. I have yet to play another session of traditional D&D, but if I find some folks who are interested I definitely will. The Forgotten Realms are quite a fun universe to explore.

I stumbled upon Candlekeep when I was looking for some book recommendations, and now I'm here! Figured I would introduce myself and say hi! So, hi!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Taleras Posted - 21 Feb 2017 : 03:20:01
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Thank you for the warm welcome! Looks like a great community, I've been lurking a little bit before deciding to register and post.

I'm definitely looking forward to picking some brains about the Forgotten Realms. Here's a question for everyone to start - if you had to pick one book what would your favorite FR novel be? If it's a series pick one of the series...

Homeland. At the time I first read it I had already been exposed to a fair amount of traditional "Western European" fantasy - heroic knights, princesses in distress, dragons terrorizing the countryside, etc. Descending into the depths of the earth to read about this fey race of drow - both beautiful and horrifying at the same time - was pure magic for me. I don't think anything before or since has quite fired my imagination like the city of Menzoberranzan. I see from your earlier post you've already read some Drizzt stories, and I'm not trying to knock any of that later material, but I believe Homeland was Salvatore's magnum opus - his Aegis Fang, if you will.

I never thought about it like that, but Homeland is a pretty awesome book in that way. The rest of the Drizzt books that I have read so far don't stand out in any way on their own, but I am loving the ongoing story.
VikingLegion Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 04:40:21
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Thank you for the warm welcome! Looks like a great community, I've been lurking a little bit before deciding to register and post.

I'm definitely looking forward to picking some brains about the Forgotten Realms. Here's a question for everyone to start - if you had to pick one book what would your favorite FR novel be? If it's a series pick one of the series...

Homeland. At the time I first read it I had already been exposed to a fair amount of traditional "Western European" fantasy - heroic knights, princesses in distress, dragons terrorizing the countryside, etc. Descending into the depths of the earth to read about this fey race of drow - both beautiful and horrifying at the same time - was pure magic for me. I don't think anything before or since has quite fired my imagination like the city of Menzoberranzan. I see from your earlier post you've already read some Drizzt stories, and I'm not trying to knock any of that later material, but I believe Homeland was Salvatore's magnum opus - his Aegis Fang, if you will.
Fellfire Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 02:55:27
Welcome to the 'Keep. The hamster has got it right. Any of Elaine's, Kemp's or de Bie's are among my favorites.
Taleras Posted - 19 Feb 2017 : 02:39:55
Nice, that's one of my favorites so far, but I don't think I have read enough to really have a favorite!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Feb 2017 : 03:04:09
Elfshadow
Taleras Posted - 18 Feb 2017 : 02:18:32

Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Feb 2017 : 17:02:05
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000