Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 FR Canon, Alternative Futures, and the DMsGuild.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
goatmeal Posted - 24 Jan 2017 : 03:59:14
Four years ago, I started putting together a game idea for a campaign in a futuristic FR setting. I never ended up running that game, as I got bogged down with making all the nobles and bureaucrats and decided to find a similar themed game in a different setting to run instead (Council of Thieves, as it turns out).

I’d migrated to Pathfinder and didn’t realize until a few months ago that the DMsGuild allows people to publish material using the Forgotten Realms setting. I was elated at this possibility, and so started to work on getting up to speed on 5e and putting together these ideas from four years ago.

Yesterday I downloaded City of Danger: Reconstruction and have been pretty dejected by what I’ve seen. Three major aspects of my four year old idea show up in this, but they don’t go near far enough to create what I had hoped to create with them.

So I’m not sure what to do next. It feels like if I go ahead with this idea, people will feel like I’m ripping off what they’ve already done. Any thoughts or ideas about how to proceed?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
goatmeal Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 20:58:46
Thanks for the response. I’m buried IRL (part of why I’m delaying my own project) but will look into it when I get a chance. I do have some interest in Thay, and also like the approach of sharing the work of others. (Is this something you contacted the other authors ahead of time about, or did you just do it?)
I’m still fairly new to 5e, so I’m probably not going to be focused overly much on rules changes unless it feels like something that really should be there but isn’t. (like Endure Elements as a spell in the Moonsea, for example.) I’ve been running Pathfinder adventures set in the Moonsea, but am looking forward to getting more experience with 5e.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 03:29:21
quote:
Originally posted by goatmeal

actually, I suppose it's four if you count ships that show up in inappropriate places, but who's counting.

Anyways, I think I'll wait until summer and see if I still feel like doing it by then. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have a link to what you've made, Sleyvas?

Sure do. Its a little over a hundred pages and "pay what you want", so I'm more interested in hearing what's broken in it that I should fix... or what you think is really good.... or maybe a better way I should have done something. I wrote frantically, so I know I've got issues in it. I only use the profits (which is usually only maybe $2 a month) to buy other people's stuff that interest me.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/189094/The-Complete-Red-Book-of-Spell-Strategy?term=complete+red++book&test_epoch=0

BTW, if you check back over the last week or two, I saw someone thread necromanced a forum entry where I was listing some products other people made that I found really good

I also created this free entry for some heraldry prints I made if you like to use Waterdeep and make printouts for your players.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/177650/Art--Forgotten-Realms-Heraldry?term=sleyvas&test_epoch=0
goatmeal Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 02:43:46
actually, I suppose it's four if you count ships that show up in inappropriate places, but who's counting.

Anyways, I think I'll wait until summer and see if I still feel like doing it by then. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have a link to what you've made, Sleyvas?
Markustay Posted - 24 Jan 2017 : 17:01:09
Just publish it.

"Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door"
sleyvas Posted - 24 Jan 2017 : 14:21:13
Honestly, I look at DMs guild as a means for some of us to put forth concepts and improve upon them for the community. That's kind of why I wrote up the red book of spell strategy, and how I also changed some of it. Some guy had written up some rules for "blood magic" in which you had to give up hit die in order to use some abilities. This gives a character this finite pool of stuff that they can use each day. I turned around and used the same mechanic but in a different way in order to allow people with certain feats/backgrounds, etc... to cast more powerful versions of "find familiar" in essence and summon companions that can "do" things, while still limiting the fact that its a ritual and can be cast repeatedly. I did a few other things using this finite mechanic.

I also plan on delving into the Maztican area, and some other folks did some good rulesets there, but I want to change some of the historical aspects of the time in Abeir, plus change some populations slightly, etc... Hopefully, people will understand that the intent is just to make a better world... and of course, nothing's canon, so they can take and use what they want.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000