Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 the Minotaurs of the Stonelands

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shades of eternity Posted - 07 Jan 2017 : 20:47:09
From the Depths of the Stonelands, a strange society is revealed at last. The Stoneland Minotaurs have adapted well to this harsh land and have created a unique culture that is all their own.

- The history of the Stoneland Minotaurs.
- Playing a Minotaur, both the race and the culture within.
- The Old Sod, a new settlement with plot hooks a plenty.
- Sod this!!!, an adventure where a plucky bunch of minotaurs retake their home.

We're also releasing an additional release called Wormsmacker, which was written by a good friend of mine that presents a new sport that can best be described as full contact cricket. :D

Let me know if you want to give feedback, otherwise, I will be releasing it on January 31st, baring complications.
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Feb 2017 : 14:06:22
I just downloaded it a couple hours ago... I've not had a chance to even open the file yet, though... My boss frowns upon the idea of goofing off on the clock.
shades of eternity Posted - 10 Feb 2017 : 12:33:27
btw out now

any feedback would be most helpful. :)
shades of eternity Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 16:46:10
officially coming out on the 31st, but testing the file to confirm I didn't make any errors
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203993/The-Minotaurs-of-the-Stonelands
enjoy. :)
Wrigley Posted - 22 Jan 2017 : 20:41:46
Usualy you do not mate with what you eat...
shades of eternity Posted - 22 Jan 2017 : 20:14:21
honestly, not touching that one with a 30 foot pole.

what you do with your game is your own business. :p
sleyvas Posted - 20 Jan 2017 : 23:34:42
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

The original minotaurs in the mm, were carniverous, but I made them slightly more omnivorous.

They raise rothe (brought from the underdark) and sheep, but they also have gardens.

My cowriter ran with it and decided that they are the inventors of haggis in the realms and it used to be made from their enemies in the bad old days. :p

Lol, they raise and eat underdark cows? Well, I guess some humans may eat monkeys...
Do any of them mate with the rothe? Is there any taboo against this, or is it even considered acceptable?
shades of eternity Posted - 16 Jan 2017 : 17:12:52
The original minotaurs in the mm, were carniverous, but I made them slightly more omnivorous.

They raise rothe (brought from the underdark) and sheep, but they also have gardens.

My cowriter ran with it and decided that they are the inventors of haggis in the realms and it used to be made from their enemies in the bad old days. :p
Wrigley Posted - 16 Jan 2017 : 17:05:14
What are their eating habits? Are they herbivores or carnivores? It would be great touch if they are indeed herbivores. Drinking a lot of beer - no problem but meat?!? Have you just said BEEF??
shades of eternity Posted - 13 Jan 2017 : 13:16:12
ha

that dove tails nicely into my other work, the saurials of the lost vale, that during the great dispersion, the stonelands is where Cormyr sent the saurial refugees and created a lot of issues that happen when you send communial talking dinosaur men into a wasteland.

I like the idea that the stonelands are a place of monsters, but some of them are your allies.

as for the Minotaurs, they were also involved in the crusade against the horde and it's how they won their citizenship and even a military order (the horned watch). Mainly because it's in homage to a game played a while back where we had a cormyrian group that consisted of a purple knight, a war wizard and a minotaur whom were a troubleshooting team for the crown.
Markustay Posted - 13 Jan 2017 : 04:38:30
And I purposely added the name of the Hunter's Hills on my latest map just for reference.

quote:

That works. :)

The main objective of this article is to figure out a way to allow Minotaur PCs as viable characters in both the crunch and fluff (aka not attacked on sight for being monsters).

They are affiliated with Cormyr, but seeing that even when they are on the side of angels, they are still a cantankerous, manic, stubborn species.
That works nicely for me as well. I may give your work 'a nod' in my own.

Gwarch is also part of Cormyr now, technically, even though its a goblin trading post. I wrote some lore awhile back, about Azoun writing new laws after the Crusade about 'monsters' (sentient, non-humans) having equal rights in Cormyr (he befriended some orcs - and even gave them medals - during that war). So moving forward, after his death, it would make sense that Alusair would 'pay it forward' and continue her father's work, especially with her own interest in the Stonelands (it was her 'stomping grounds' between the time of the Crusade and the Death of the Dragon). The Stonelands became strategically paramount to Cormyr, because of what happened to Tilverton and the threat of the Shades (and Gwarch's dead-magic zone proves VERY useful).

So, with what I envision and your work, it all ties together with Cormyr using the native humanoid populations to 'hold' The Stonelands, since their previous campaign of getting people to settle - and tame - it hadn't worked out very well.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Jan 2017 : 02:11:51
quote:

I based a lot of their culture on medieval and revisionist Scottish practises subverted so it would be easy to extrapolate from that.

They are communal (aka herd mentality), but monogamous, mainly because it's hard enough to have one mate when you are a temperamental cow person.

Lathander is their religion because it was his worship that led them out of the underdark. I did a class breakdown in the book.

Sports will be listed in the Minotaur book and a buddy of mine even wrote out their key sport that will be a free release at the same time.

They also have had a bit of cross cultural pollination from Cormyr as well as material goods from that area.

If you want a preview copy, pm me. :)

Nah, just let me know when it comes out. I'll gladly donate towards work like this.
shades of eternity Posted - 12 Jan 2017 : 15:07:05
I based a lot of their culture on medieval and revisionist Scottish practises subverted so it would be easy to extrapolate from that.

They are communal (aka herd mentality), but monogamous, mainly because it's hard enough to have one mate when you are a temperamental cow person.

Lathander is their religion because it was his worship that led them out of the underdark. I did a class breakdown in the book.

Sports will be listed in the Minotaur book and a buddy of mine even wrote out their key sport that will be a free release at the same time.

They also have had a bit of cross cultural pollination from Cormyr as well as material goods from that area.

If you want a preview copy, pm me. :)
sleyvas Posted - 12 Jan 2017 : 14:08:32
So, in the above, are their any "favored" things amongst their society? For instance, amongst our society, large breasted women are generally preferred. So, are their any things that make a male minotaur more attractive, or that may make a male minotaur feel self conscious? For instance, if his horns are too short... or they are twisted instead of straight with a simple curl. Is shaggy hair considered unattractive? Is it not "looks", but rather some other feature.... such as the amount of musk smell they produce.... Is monogamy the common practice or polygamy based on who can provide the most in either protection or food? What types of priests do they have (Clerics? Druids? Shamans?)? What is a common sport of their kind?

Just throwing out some ideas that might help spark something for you to help the article with flavor. I know it helps me a lot to hear someone else's thoughts even if they are random as hell. Some of the guys here have sent me down some strange paths with the simplest of remarks in the past.
shades of eternity Posted - 11 Jan 2017 : 12:55:09
These Minotaurs have been converted to the worship of Lathander and are very stubborn in this belief.

They come in the same colors as cattle (and heck even have a random table to create your family colors).

They definitely have reverse knees (which explains the kilts), hooves and horns at the minimum.

Honestly, if there is a real life (or not so real life) type of cattle you want to use as a base for your minotaur character, go for it.

In my opinion, I could see the coloring of fur, branding and hoof/horn decorations.

and it often extends to their pets (Stonelander Minotaurs are rather found of mastiffs).

In game terms, I based them on the Kryannian Minotaurs and tweaked them to fit the location.

Stocks and exile are the big punishments, and a lot of lesser offenses are settled during the stonelander games. :)

If you need clairification, let me know. :)

edit: as for weapons and other equipment, the answer is yes and it will be listed in the book. :D
sleyvas Posted - 11 Jan 2017 : 12:46:03
Just wondering... one of the things I've noted with minotaurs over the years is the differences in appearance. Some have horns that come out the side of their heads, some directly to the front, some an angle betwixt the two. Some are brown, some black, some white, some are a painted mixture. Horn length varies from relatively stubby to the frankly humongous. Fur length also varies... some shaggy, some very close trimmed. I've attributed this to different clans having slightly different feature sets. What commonalities will these minotaurs have? Also, are their any commonalities of culture with regards to body decoration (tattooing <and ink colors>... branding... fur dyeing/bleaching into patterns... hoof decorations.... piercing of the nose, lip, ears, horns, privates... necklace types... wrist band types... torcs... horseshoes... spiked/bladed horseshoes? )? Are their any special punishments (sawing off horns?)? Any commonalities to clothing types (kilts, scale mail skirts, furs, bottomless)? Are their any commonalities of weapons (figuring great axes/battle axes, but tridents? double axes? hand/throwing axes? halberds? Glaives? Spears/Great Spears? Swords? Bows versus crossbows versus slings? Horn attachments that make their headbutts more dangerous? Brass Knuckles/clawed fist attachments?)?
shades of eternity Posted - 11 Jan 2017 : 02:26:35
That works. :)

The main objective of this article is to figure out a way to allow Minotaur PCs as viable characters in both the crunch and fluff (aka not attacked on sight for being monsters).

They are affiliated with Cormyr, but seeing that even when they are on the side of angels, they are still a cantankerous, manic, stubborn species.
Markustay Posted - 10 Jan 2017 : 23:49:28
I would have to read it to know the proper placement. Off the top of my head, I would think somewhere around the perimeter, since most of the 'interior' has been fairly well documented (although not in a hundred years LOL). I would think on the High Moors, along the border of the Stormhorns - did we get the Farsea Marshes back in 5e? The map got really weird moving into 4e, so I'm not sure about along the southern edge like that (PLUS, there's Cormyr itself, which does indeed 'claim' the Stonelands).

So I guess ideally, somewhere along the northern edge of the Stonelands, where it meets the desert (how is that desert in 5e? It was becoming fertile again - a bit - in 4e). There are several small ranges of hills all along there that are never shown on most maps - maybe in the Hunter's Hills (sounds appropriate), between Orlath Wood and Griffon Hill (settlement)? Still part of the Stonelands proper, but not so close to anything else as to interfere with established lore.
shades of eternity Posted - 10 Jan 2017 : 21:26:35
it's a minotaur village I made as a sandbox in the stonelands

I kept it deliberately vague beyond that to make it easy to place as needed.

If you have a suggestions of placement, let me know. :)
Markustay Posted - 10 Jan 2017 : 21:18:44
Just curious - where would 'Old Sod' be? (In The Stonelands, of course - I meant more specifically).

Only because I plan to write-up Gwarch for the DM's Guild eventually, which Brian James made canon with his (4e) Cormyr article and accompanying map.
shades of eternity Posted - 10 Jan 2017 : 20:45:04
It will be shortly, but requesting feedback before I officially release it. :)
Evrat Posted - 10 Jan 2017 : 20:01:01
Its on the DM ?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000