Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Running a campaign on the Sea of Fallen stars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 04:07:06
I plan on running a campaign that starts off in a dread pirate ship in the middle of the Sea of Fallen stars. I don't plan on keeping them their the whole time but I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of the lore surrounding the pirate isle and Cormyr. .

(Or any other tips).

Thanks
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 24 Feb 2017 : 08:24:01
Alright, the part finally got to Cormyr.before getting off the pirate ship I had them stop on the island Sarr. Now in Cormyr they talked to the high warden and I'm habit the run to elversult. They definitely don't want to cross the Lake Of Dragons. (Hahaha, I don't blame them) so they're gonna take land... light have them run through Skull Crag. I'm thinking a goblin ambushes

Anyway I've been using Markustay's maps and they've been really helpful. Thanks. I have to make my own map for skull crag, so I'm excited about that.

Anyway, lots to do I'll keep this updated when I can
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 22:10:48
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

Oh good, I will check that out. Thanks.

I enjoy your maps as well. I'm always excited to see what you have next

Thank you for the kind words.

Mike Schley is a far superior artist than I (I don't even consider myself an 'artist'... maybe an 'illustrator' at best) and the late Karen Fonstad was a superior cartographer (AND artist). I suppose I should throw Robert Lazzaretti's name out there as well - his work is consistently amazing. I pride myself on accuracy, and actually knowing every little detail about each feature I place. - THAT is where I shine.

Also, in case you missed it - I linked to a version of the Fonstad map someone pieced together years ago (not me), but if you can find a copy of the original work - The Forgotten Realms Atlas - it is worth procuring. Of all the stuff I lost, that is definitely in my 'top ten' I am most sad about.

You're welcome. I saw that and saved it. I'll be using that map as my reference for players
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 20:24:45
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, in case you missed it - I linked to a version of the Fonstad map someone pieced together years ago (not me), but if you can find a copy of the original work - The Forgotten Realms Atlas - it is worth procuring. Of all the stuff I lost, that is definitely in my 'top ten' I am most sad about.

I see the print version pop up on eBay from time to time. I don't know about the price; I've not paid attention to that detail.

I don't recall if that was how I got my second copy or not... The original, now-lost copy was something I found by chance at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando (back when it was called that, and when they still had that tiny location with no parking).
Markustay Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 20:16:42
quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

Thank you for the kind words.

Mike Schley is a far superior artist than I (I don't even consider myself an 'artist'... maybe an 'illustrator' at best) and the late Karen Fonstad was a superior cartographer (AND artist). I suppose I should throw Robert Lazzaretti's name out there as well - his work is consistently amazing. I pride myself on accuracy, and actually knowing every little detail about each feature I place. - THAT is where I shine.

Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 19:55:25
Actually, I had to rethink using the southern route from spandeliyon to Cormyr l. Tactically it would be safe for Cormyr freesailers to be closer to the dragon reach then in the reaches of the dread pirates
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 08:34:06

Markustay Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 08:17:04
The 5e maps are VERY different from the 3e/4e maps - they are more like 1e/2e, and even like Ed's originals.

The best one to use is the old Fonstad Atlas map, and as you can see, the Whamite isles appear on that as well. Ed himself has said that was the closest thing to his originals in the published Realms, and the newer (beautiful) maps being done by Mike Schley look like they are going back to those originals and starting from scratch (probably to avoid all the mistakes that have crept-in over the years).
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 04:18:01
Cool. So should i, or shouldn't I use the 3e map. Is it the closest thing in current 5e canon???

It's sometimes hard to find stuff that is current. I'd like to keep my campaign in the current fr date (1497 DR)
Markustay Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 03:24:09
The Whamite islands are indeed canon, although they never appeared looking that way on a published FR map - that layout was from the game-board of The Great Khan Game by Tom Wham, and all the names of and on those islands are also taken from that map-board (and theoretically, the game itself DID take place in FR... but most of that has been 'swept under the rug' because it was just plain silly). They have appeared several different ways on canon maps, changing much on the 3e map (and none looking like those from the game). I have since located the original archipelago, and it was called The Rocks of Lontos (on Ed's maps), and on my new series of maps I will have an amalgam of all versions, and BOTH names (the 'rocks' trailing-off from the larger isles).

The islands ARE indeed clustered too close together, and too close to the coasts, but thats 3e's fault, not mine. 3e lost a lot of geography that I put back, which makes even more crowded (5e has now fixed all that, thank goodness). As you can see by THIS LAYOUT I posted awhile back, the new maps will look VERY different.

As I said, everything outside the Five Shires conversion itself (almost entirely located in the Gulthmere) is CANON. I'm actually missing a couple of things over in Cormyr, believe it or not. The Five Shires feels very much like it belongs in The Realms, because it was written by Ed Greenwood, and he says he had Luiren in mind when he wrote it (and its just a darned great product). It DESERVES to be in FR (especially now since Mystara has been abandoned).

EDIT:
And I actually have a newer, better conversion for the Five Shires, WITHOUT inverting it, which was 95% finished when I got side-tracked yet again. {sigh}
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 02:18:34
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Five Shires is from another setting that Ed Greenwood did. Its a Halfling land. Mark added it to the Realms. Hence the "mashup". So you can keep it if you want, or discard it.

Clarification: Ed didn't do the setting, but he did write this particular book for it -- though with Luiren in mind.
Brimstone Posted - 27 Jan 2017 : 00:00:33
The Five Shires is from another setting that Ed Greenwood did. Its a Halfling land. Mark added it to the Realms. Hence the "mashup". So you can keep it if you want, or discard it.
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 26 Jan 2017 : 23:45:34
I haven't heard of this . Was this around the time of the sundering? I'll need to get the facts for my campaign because I want the party to use the southern route under the pirate isle (maybe visiting a few islands as well). Thanks
Brimstone Posted - 26 Jan 2017 : 22:55:18
Wasn't there a big scroll on Ilighon awhile back? Like four or five years ago?
Brimstone Posted - 26 Jan 2017 : 22:53:12
I believe it's from Mark's Five Shire's mashup.
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 26 Jan 2017 : 22:26:51
Hey what are the Whamite isles? I've never Sen those before
Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2017 : 20:40:24
I hadn't noticed this earlier - my bad.

the newest one I did with those isles is my 5Shires conversion. If you just ignore the conversion (all that stuff going on in the Gulthmere Forest area), the rest of the map is 100% canon.

However, it uses the older 3e/4e layout for everything, which was 'squished', so its not geographically accurate to the 1e/2e or 5e Realms.

The Five Shires/Gulthmere Conversion Map

And, of course, you can just use the Five shires as well (its been inverted though - I have a newer version coming soon).
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 20 Dec 2016 : 17:21:06
Does anyone have a detailed map/DM map of the Pirate Isle. I have a standard map, I just need some more detail. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 17:46:28
Pirates of the Fallen Stars (TSR 9346) is mainly AD&D but it can be easily converted to 5.0
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 11:38:50
The Sea of Fallen Stars migh also have some more recent info on the pirate isles.
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 11:19:25
Thanks
Markustay Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 08:51:17
Everything you need is in Pirates of the Fallen Stars (TSR 9346)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000