Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Napoleonic D&D books that I need

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LWhitehead1 Posted - 14 Dec 2016 : 10:51:10
Hi I need D&D books for a Napoleonic Era D&D world a Black Powder Fantasy setting, one differance is that are National Gods now

That's one even Ed Greenwood haven't thought of,

LW
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LWhitehead1 Posted - 17 Dec 2016 : 16:19:26
I've got some good books on Napoleonic era, I may have to borrow some character types from Steampunk source books such as the Musketeer kit

I need to find some 18th Century kits for my players and world,

LW
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Dec 2016 : 16:30:38
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

I get it start small, getting local players interested that;s going to be a chore at least. I Need 2nd D&D books that can help me.

LW

Not just D&D books. You want to create a Napoleonic setting, you need to read non-gaming stuff, too. Get a feel for the real Napoleonic era before you spin it into something else.

It's one of the central tenets of writing: know what you're writing about.
LWhitehead1 Posted - 16 Dec 2016 : 15:15:37
I get it start small, getting local players interested that;s going to be a chore at least. I Need 2nd D&D books that can help me.

LW
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Dec 2016 : 05:07:04
I think you're setting yourself up for failure if your goal is to get a published D&D setting.

For one thing, WotC is barely publishing their flagship setting, right now. For another thing, they generally don't go shopping around for new settings. They've only done that twice -- once was with Ed, who'd already "auditioned" for them by providing years of content in Dragon, and the other time, they did an open call which was still, essentially, an audition.

Don't try to create a setting. Start small -- just do adventures and such. Get your name on the map, first, and hone your skills while doing it. After you've got some experience under your belt and enough publishing credentials to be able to say to a company "Hey, you want to look at my game world?" -- that's when you really want to start trying to publish a setting.

And honestly, I'd say that's when you want to start working on it. You'll be able to produce something much better once you've spent some serious time working in the industry and learning the ins and outs of creating something new.
LWhitehead1 Posted - 15 Dec 2016 : 20:43:48
Well I'm trying not to rip off Iron Kingdoms but I think that my Napoleon era D&D setting which I hope One day well be official, I thought Bonaparte would have made for a God that wanted alot of the same things as his mortal version in our world, and I like the idea of National Gods.

LW
TBeholder Posted - 15 Dec 2016 : 14:06:18
Did you have a look at Skull & Bones (in Mythic Vistas from Green Ronin)?
Markustay Posted - 15 Dec 2016 : 02:30:48
The historic series that came out for D&D back in 2e was pretty good - I had them all. There was none, though, for that late a period of time.

The A Mighty Fortress one goes from 1500-1650, so it would be the most 'technologically advanced' of the lot, but still a century or so behind Napoleon. There are rules in there for guns, and other historical stuff you might like. If its just the (primitive) guns you need, you could get them from the Spelljammer setting, the Red Steel setting, or even the 2e FR update book, Forgotten Realms Adventures - all have rules for firearms. I think Masque of the Red Death may have as well. If you go outside of D&D, there are TONS of rules that could cover that period, including the 'Cthulhu by Gaslight' setting, some of the White Wolf (WoD) stuff, and the Deadlands/Weird West setting (one of my favorites).

But I think as far as rules goes, I think Wooly hit the nail on the head, if you wanted to keep a little 'magic' in your games - Iron Kingdoms has a really great, unique take on firearms and 'clash of nations'.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Dec 2016 : 18:54:01
That doesn't sound too different from the Iron Kingdoms.

And Ed has worked on a hell of a lot more than we know about. I'd be hesitant to say he'd not thought of something unless he himself said it first.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000