Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Skyships

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LWhitehead1 Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 03:45:07
Hi folks I need help with my Skyships for my Homebrew setting Shatter World, an World without Oceans.

In this setting the Hulls of the Skyships are made out of Wood the Floats naturally due to the Sap in the Wood which is based on Living Oak.

Normally they are powered by Sails, but series of Airships powered Coal and the use Blimp like AirBag with metal Stove pipes pointing up and a series of stove pipes in the back for movement control over by a Vent Master.

LW
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Dec 2016 : 04:40:17
Bastion Press even had an Airships book. I don't recall anything particularly noteworthy about it, though -- at least, not for what I was looking for when I got it.
TBeholder Posted - 12 Dec 2016 : 03:06:54
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

Hi folks I need help with my Skyships for my Homebrew setting Shatter World, an World without Oceans.

yes, but what it has to do with "D&D Core Products"? Or even Realms, since there are almost exclusively ships from Halruaa with their specific quirks.
Unless you want Eberron, wide variety of airships appears in Mystara.
Of course, since you homebrew anyway, could as well look into other settings - like Sundered Skies (for Savage Worlds), Upwind (card based RPG) or Tephra (d12 based, steampunk).
LWhitehead1 Posted - 11 Dec 2016 : 05:00:30
The Oak that these Trees are based on are also called Evergreen Oak,

They also can't land they Dock in various forms in the the Landmasses from the very bottom to the Middle in Caves to the top of building tower docks,

LW
LWhitehead1 Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 19:40:46
The Wood Floats once it is cut from the Tree it's the Sap once comes in contact with the Air it reacts, This type of Tree was created during the after effect of the Distaster. Sails on the Top and Side of the ship which is the standard form movement of these Airships,

The reason on Shatter World why all forms of Magick is Fear and Hated normally is due to the reason why the World is Shattered, a long time ago there was once Magical Imperial Empire that once cover most the crust of this world until they decided to tap the Core for power they ended up shattering the Planet causing the Landmass to fly out into the Air in orbits around differant highs around the Core.

LW
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 15:58:51
Some sort of magic would work better for explaining your floating wood... Trees need nutrients, and they need to be accessible if someone's going to do something with them. If they float naturally, then you've got trees floating around in the air, difficult to reach and having no means of sustenance. The former makes them hard to get to, and the latter makes them not grow at all.

So some sort of magic would make it work a lot better.

Also, floating naturally doesn't address altitude changes, once it's fashioned into a ship.
LWhitehead1 Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 15:15:33
No Magik these Skyships are part of my Homebrew setting Shattered World the Floating Wood is based on Live Oak, not Living Oak the Oak that Old Ironsides is made out of.

Alchemy and Coal help them along well at least One Nation of Landmass that has the Coal that is,

LW
sleyvas Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 14:13:08
On the blimp like airbag... remember we are talking about magic, so physics can be a little wonky and still make sense. For instance, what if unlike an air balloon, you don't have to heat the air in the ballon to make it expand. What if instead, you had some kind of small portal to the plane of air, and through it you could simply add and remove helium and/or other gases. Think of it like a decanter of endless water, but instead its for gases. In theory this same device could provide oxygen as well to allow for travel higher in the atmosphere or even possibly outside the atmosphere. In essence, your skyships could become like extremely slow spelljammers (which people don't mention it, but the big thing about spelljammers is how fast they can travel through space, not that they can enter space... planets are FAR apart, and realmspace's crystal sphere is huge).
Kentinal Posted - 09 Dec 2016 : 08:19:06
What type of help do you need? Rules for them, costs, etc.

Living wood and burning coal does sound like a fire hazard. As to Blimp, capture of lift gas might be interesting as well to explore.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000