Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 My Intro - I am stuck in 2nd edition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KaraSilver Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 03:31:39
Hi there. I'm new to this forum, but have been reading the older novels off and on for the last 20 years. I also found a list of FR sourcebooks - mostly 2nd edition from the 1990s - and am downloading and reading them for background as well.
What I really like is maps, so I am investigating the maps of Faerun and Toril. Am still trying to get my head around the fact that I have to look for 2 versions, before the spellplague and after the spellplague.
My favourite city is Cimbar on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but that went into ruins after the spell plague. I like Cimbar because it was a very intellectual city - everyone knew how to read and write - even the slaves did.
My character is a ranger thief - started off as a thief and later switched to a ranger and a horizon walker. Am working on writing a story of someone walking around the Inner Sea before the spell plague, and (because she is part elven) doing it again after the spell plague.
Then maybe she will go further afield to the Sword coast and Waterdeep down to Calimshan or perhaps maybe to the Hordelands and the Shining South.
OK. That's enough chatting about me. Just so you know. I prefer to read the 2nd edition D&D novels because I love the OLD FR logo a lot better than I like the new one.
Ciao
Kara Silver (1/4 elven, 3/4 human)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2016 : 05:59:33
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Depends which country you are in Wooly :)

They're illegal in the IP holder's nation, which means we do not discuss them here.
The Masked Mage Posted - 28 Dec 2016 : 23:39:52
Depends which country you are in Wooly :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 20:25:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Kara, I've read everything published by TSR, and about 75-80 percent of the newer stuff. For the most part, I'd say that the older novels were more interesting and rarely seemed as though they had some goal they were trying to cram into them that just didn't fit. This started later and rarely had good results in my opinion.

That said, there are some very good books from 3rd/4th Ed. so don't shy from them.

ALL of the older novels are available in PDF online if you look, so if you can't find hard copies the digital versions are readily available. I know the guys frown on mentioning this, but as far as monetary rights its no different than paying someone on eBay.

Except for the minor fact that one is illegal and the other isn't.
The Masked Mage Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 19:20:06
Kara, I've read everything published by TSR, and about 75-80 percent of the newer stuff. For the most part, I'd say that the older novels were more interesting and rarely seemed as though they had some goal they were trying to cram into them that just didn't fit. This started later and rarely had good results in my opinion.

That said, there are some very good books from 3rd/4th Ed. so don't shy from them.

ALL of the older novels are available in PDF online if you look, so if you can't find hard copies the digital versions are readily available. I know the guys frown on mentioning this, but as far as monetary rights its no different than paying someone on eBay.
KaraSilver Posted - 06 Dec 2016 : 02:51:42
I'm glad I am not going against Type to say I prefer the 2nd edition. Thank you all so much for your support. Well, I'm not worried so much about the quality of writing, but I do want to get some idea of the utter east. SO far I have found only one map that shows Var the golden (before the spell plague) and pretty much all other maps show Var the drowned after the spell plague and nothing of Durpar and Ulgarth. I have no idea what the geography of that area is AFTER the spell plague - they all stop at Var the drowned. I have to assume that Eglarond, Durpar and Ulgarth did not survive... So I want to read these novells, perhaps to get some idea. That's all. I'll check out e-bay since I already have an account there - thanks.

Rymac Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 23:08:54
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

You aren't the only person who prefers the 2nd edition novels and sourcebooks.

I persisted in playing 2nd edition while buying 3rd and 3.5 (and later edition) sourcebooks for the lore. Oh, and welcome to Candlekeep!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 22:08:17
You aren't the only person who prefers the 2nd edition novels and sourcebooks.
TBeholder Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 21:02:03
quote:
Originally posted by KaraSilver

Hi there. I'm new to this forum, but have been reading the older novels off and on for the last 20 years. I also found a list of FR sourcebooks - mostly 2nd edition from the 1990s - and am downloading and reading them for background as well.
What I really like is maps, so I am investigating the maps of Faerun and Toril. Am still trying to get my head around the fact that I have to look for 2 versions, before the spellplague and after the spellplague.
My favourite city is Cimbar on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but that went into ruins after the spell plague.

I'll limit myself to mention that it's far from the only thing that went into ruins after the spell plague... and that the most obvious way of dealing with this problem is pretty common.

quote:
Originally posted by KaraSilver

The series is called - Double Diamond Triangle series.

Also, fair warning:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Well, Ed was given an afternoon (!) to write the third book (it's called "The Mercenaries" but when Ed was given the plot outline, he said it should have been called "The Pirates"), but he had the luxury of two full days to co-write the ninth book - - which arrived in his hands twice as long as the final wordcount was allowed to be!
Given those circumstances, how good would you expect the writing to be?

I confess this doesn't quite kill my curiosity.
But perhaps it would be best to reserve one's high hopes for other books. And to decide whether curiosity is worth the price with both eyes open.
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 19:33:06
I'm still hoping the lore Ed makes will be pre spellplague mostly.
Seravin Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 19:24:00
There are many, many reasons to love 2nd edition era of FR more than the post-Spellplague era. I've not heard of the logo being the main reason before though :) The Sundering and 5th edition has done away with almost everything that the Spellplague did except the time jump...oceans/seas have gone back to their spots and empires returned, deities and characters were "in hiding"...lots to like in 5th edition but we're low in lore content until Ed and co can get their work on the DMG up and running.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 14:21:06
I see them on eBay from time to time, with prices ranging from the reasonable ($10-$30) to the insane (the guy that's been trying to sell them for $250 for at least a couple of years).

I've not dealt with the sites, but Alibris.com and Abebooks.com are ones I've seen others recommend. Nobleknight.com has some deals from time to time, as well, though their focus is in gaming material more than novels.

There are also people on Amazon that sell the books.
KaraSilver Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 12:19:40
Thanks Rupert. I do have one question... Does anyone know where I can find the series of Novellas that are set in the Utter East. Published in 1998, these novellas tell the story of a bride-to-be who gets kidnapped from Waterdeep and taken all the way to the utter east. The series is called - Double Diamond Triangle series. None of the books are more than 100 pages long. I can get most of the official novels at the Kobo store where I usually buy my books, but these novella books are not listed, and I would really rather not going having to submit my credit card details to some place I will only use for a short time. Thanks. for any help. Kara.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Dec 2016 : 10:12:13
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000