Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Alexander's introduction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alexander Clark Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 15:02:31
Hi! Let me talk about myself a bit. I first encountered Forgotten Realms in video-games. I played Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. Later I read some novels and even played a bit of pen-and-paper D&D 3 and 3.5. After that I stopped keeping up with the Realms for a while. Now I decided to play Neverwinter MMO and the whole 4th and 5th edition stuff is completely new to me. Who are Dragonborn? What happened to Mystra? What is that "aspect" stuff happening to the rest of the deities? Why does Zhentarim work with the good guys? What is going on with Myth Drannor? So many new stuff to learn!

Unfortunately there are no specific forums for Neverwinter role-players so I'll have to ask my questions about the Realms here if you guys don't mind. I already spent several hours reading those great forums.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alexander Clark Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 21:17:06
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Why did they say that?

It was something like "You can't roleplay when your warlock wears blue!"

What would be the best books on Cormyr in general and War Wizards in particular? I am considering buying Volo's Guide to Cormyr.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 19:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

When playing Neverwinter today I noticed somebody said that wizards should wear blue clothes and warlocks should wear red. As far as I know it is not the case, but I'd like to get a confirmation from people more educated than me.

And barbarians should wear frilly pink tutus, and paladins should wear plaid.

Seriously, an organization might have a dress code, but classes generally don't other than "fighters should wear as much armor as possible, and arcane casters should be squishy."
Irennan Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 17:15:32
Why did they say that? There's no rule stating which colors wizards, warlocks or what you have should or shouldn't wear. Orders devoted to deities, or members of the priesthood, or members of certain organizations may be likely to wear a given color, but that has nothing to do with what you were told.

Heck, it's not written anywhere that magic users even have to wear robes at all (I guess they usually do because such clothes tend to have many pockets that can be used to store material components of spells in easily accessible places)
Alexander Clark Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 16:18:20
When playing Neverwinter today I noticed somebody said that wizards should wear blue clothes and warlocks should wear red. As far as I know it is not the case, but I'd like to get a confirmation from people more educated than me.
Irennan Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 15:07:44
Sune's entry in Faiths and Avatars includes good info on her holy days and the daily activities of her followers. Plus, it also provides info about their preferred garbs and equipments.
Alexander Clark Posted - 08 Dec 2016 : 14:46:47
My friend is playing a paladin of Sune. I linked them an article about Sune and this thread. Is there anything else they should read?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Dec 2016 : 17:00:50
What Irennan said
Irennan Posted - 01 Dec 2016 : 15:58:57
quote:

What kinds of Evles participated in the retaking of Myth Drannor? I assume Sun, Moon and Wood?

They came from Evermeet, an army led by Seiveril Miritar (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Seiveril_Miritar) with the help of people like Ilsevele Miritar (his daughter), a resurrected Fflar Starbrow, and mages like Aerevin (sp) Teshurr. You'll read about them in the Last Mythal books.
Irennan Posted - 01 Dec 2016 : 15:46:44
Tyrrans are more about law than justice. They try to enforce the law above all else, and are often not very well seen by the population, because of this attitude. They make better judges than protectors.

Helm is more about a combination of protection and strategy. Being a guardian and a protector, loyal to their duty no matter what, but never rushedly. He encourages to carefully plan your actions, to try to predict what could represent a threat to whatever you are sworn to protect, and to always have a plan ready to deal with that. In battle, you should study foes and anticipate their moves, relying on patient observation more than just strength or skill with the weapons. IIRC, but I'm not really sure about this, Helm doesn't encourage his followers to sacrifice themselves for others (unless, I guess, it becomes necessary to protect your charge).

Tormtars are the closest you get to the paladin archetype. His paladins strive to be loyal servants of the cause of good and justice, and try to offer their services to "masters" that embody those values. Accomplishing your duty towards those causes, being loyal to those "masters" comes before anything else. Laws should be respected, but questioned when they lead to evident injustice. After the ToT, Torm considered the results of his followers' actions to be a failure, and now he asks them to "redeem" by 1)aiding followers of all goodly gods, especially those who are struggling (to make up for the persecutions of Tantras) 2)hunting Cyricists, Banites and all Zhents, to try to put an end to those major strife sources (since Tormtars failed to avoid conflicts during the ToT) 3)helping to restore dead and wild magic areas.

Oh, and I forgot to say that Torm and Helm are friends, but their followers are at odds.
Alexander Clark Posted - 01 Dec 2016 : 15:00:49

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Read Richard Baker's Last Mythal series.

Thanks. I'll try to get those books soon.

On a completely unrelated note what is the difference between roleplaying paladins of Torm, Tyr and Helm? I read their wiki articles and this thread.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 30 Nov 2016 : 19:29:42
Read Richard Baker's Last Mythal series. It is about the reclamation of Myth Drannor. in Greenwood's The Herald Shade (home of the Shadovar) fell on Myth Drannor, but we have been told the city hasn't been entirely destroyed.

In the Grand History of the Realms, at the end (1385 DR), it states Mystra is killed, and that brings on the Spellplague. She was killed during the Time of Troubles as well, but her power went into the girl Midnight, and Midnight later became Mystra. The Avatar series covers this. The post-Spellplague era was 4e, then the Sundering (well, second Sundering), occurred, which brought about 5e, and now the gods who died in the Spellplague (and even some who died earlier, lie Moander), have been restored.

In Sword Coast Adventure's Guide, which is the 5e version of a campaign guide, Amaunataur and Lathander are listed as separate deities, but there was at one point a division among the church of Lathander, because some believed in an event known as the Deliverance, in which Lath would become Amaunataur. Others believed this heresy. During 4e, Amaunataur took the place of Lath, but now both are present.
Alexander Clark Posted - 28 Nov 2016 : 17:08:54
What kinds of Evles participated in the retaking of Myth Drannor? I assume Sun, Moon and Wood?
Irennan Posted - 27 Nov 2016 : 16:23:31
You mean after it was destroyed again? Because the elves did reclaim Myth Drannor towards the end of the 1370s DR, only to be destroyed again by the Shadovar at the end of the Sundering (1487 DR). As of now, the refugees are going to Semberholme, with only few elves remaining in the main city, defending the Tree of Souls from scavengers and monsters. I think that the elves would be suspicious of humans, so volounteers would get mixed reactions (after all, it was a human nation to destroy Myth Drannor once again). I think that factions like the followers of Shevarash and the Eldreth Veluuthra would get more supporters than ever among the refugees. And we know that such organizations can only worsen the relatinship between elves and other races.

These explanations by Ed might be of help:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18725&whichpage=17#449911
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=25
Gary Dallison Posted - 27 Nov 2016 : 16:16:24
Depends on when and where the help was offered i think. The realms is wonderfully complex and the answer is always 'it depends' which of course makes anything possible for the DM
Alexander Clark Posted - 27 Nov 2016 : 16:11:23
What would happen if some humans or other races volunteered to help Elves reclaim Myth Drannor?
Irennan Posted - 26 Nov 2016 : 15:21:26
quote:

quote:
Afterwards, Mystra is killed again (I know, I know...), leading to a much heavier cataclysm.

I am still a bit confused. I thought that death of Mystra and following spellplague was the reason for the most of 4e changes. However, according to forgottenrealms.wikia.com a 3.5e book The Grand History of the Realms mentions that death of Mystra.

That's because the end of 3.5e was a bunch of preparatory changes (i.e. deaths of NPCs and gods) for 4e.
Alexander Clark Posted - 26 Nov 2016 : 14:29:39
quote:
Afterwards, Mystra is killed again (I know, I know...), leading to a much heavier cataclysm.

I am still a bit confused. I thought that death of Mystra and following spellplague was the reason for the most of 4e changes. However, according to forgottenrealms.wikia.com a 3.5e book The Grand History of the Realms mentions that death of Mystra.
Irennan Posted - 23 Nov 2016 : 16:08:03
quote:
Wasn't Mystra killed by Helm? Or it appears like there were two instances of Mystra getting killed leading to two different spellplagues.

That was during the ToT. Afterwards, Mystra is killed again (I know, I know...), leading to a much heavier cataclysm. Although it turns out that she actually managed to survive, and spent a century gathering back forces and hiding, only to appear again during the Sundering

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)#History

quote:

I have no money for novels right now - I spent my last "gaming money" on Volo's Guide to Waterdeep as Wooly Rupert suggested.

In short, in Death Masks it is hinted that the Zhents are trying to gain control over noble houses and guilds of Waterdeep to further their own goals. They are also involved in an attempted coup, playing their part in trying to murder some of the Masked Lords of Waterdeep, although during that year more than one organization was tyring to kill Masked Lords and replace them with their own agents.

quote:

Is Amaunator still a Greater deity? Do we still have racial pantheons?

Amaunator is the same as Lathander, but they are worshiped as different deities. Lathander seems to be the more prominent face of the medal right now. Yes, *all* racial pantheons are back to their 2e/3e selves, either because all the killed deities have been revived, or because the "aspect" thing ended up being scrapped.
Alexander Clark Posted - 23 Nov 2016 : 15:51:58
quote:
In short, 4e killed Mystra, leading to a cataclysm (the Spellplague) that did quite a lot of damage, and swapped certain Torilian continents with those from another world, Abeir. The dragonborn come from there. In 5e, Ao decides to fix all of that, and Abeir and Toril are separated again (so Maztica and the Old Empires return, while Laerakond (sp) and Tymanther go back to Abeir).

Wasn't Mystra killed by Helm? Or it appears like there were two instances of Mystra getting killed leading to two different spellplagues.

quote:
The Zhentarim have changed outlook and are a bit more willing to cooperate, but--if you read Ed Greenwood's recent novels--they are still up to no good.

I have no money for novels right now - I spent my last "gaming money" on Volo's Guide to Waterdeep as Wooly Rupert suggested.

quote:
As for the deities, 4e retconned lore about the interloper deities, and claimed that they were actually human deities in disguise ("aspects"). In 5e, that is being ignored, and we're back to the old lore.

Is Amaunator still a Greater deity? Do we still have racial pantheons?
Irennan Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 15:14:58
You can get a decent overview here:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Spellplague
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_of_Toril_and_Abeir
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630

In short, 4e killed Mystra, leading to a cataclysm (the Spellplague) that did quite a lot of damage, and swapped certain Torilian continents with those from another world, Abeir. The dragonborn come from there. In 5e, Ao decides to fix all of that, and Abeir and Toril are separated again (so Maztica and the Old Empires return, while Laerakond (sp) and Tymanther go back to Abeir).

Myth Drannor was retaken, but in 5e it was (almost) destroyed again, and the elves are returning once more to Evermeet, or are finding shelter in Semberholme.

The Zhentarim have changed outlook and are a bit more willing to cooperate, but--if you read Ed Greenwood's recent novels--they are still up to no good.

As for the deities, 4e retconned lore about the interloper deities, and claimed that they were actually human deities in disguise ("aspects"). In 5e, that is being ignored, and we're back to the old lore. All the gods that were killed in 3e or 2e are now back in 5e (this includes the likes of Myrkul and Leira), supposedly brought back by Ao (or supposedly never dying, but merely withdrawing or being weakened for a century or so).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000