Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Map & Guide to Ardeep Forest

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KanzenAU Posted - 17 Nov 2016 : 04:13:51
I've finished my latest map, this time it's of Ardeep Forest at a 1-mile-hex scale. This time I've added a short guide of the forest, drawing heavily from other products, with a reference list for people to find more information.

Ardeep Forest Maps & Guide on DM's Guild

It's also done in ink pen, as in my Cormyr map, which I think results in a better look.

The map has a version with all known locations, a version with some locations, and a map with no locations shown. There's both a black and white version and a colour (parchment backing) version of each. As with my previous maps, they're hand-drawn. The idea is to present them as maps characters might see in the world (I got the idea from Ed in Elminster's Guide to the Forgotten Realms).

The guide has brief information on each location, as well as some other brief information about the forest. All information is canon, with a couple of hypotheticals about how things might stand in the current era. I've drawn from sources from all editions, taking every scrap about the forest I could find.

Thanks to Markustay for helping me out with a couple of locations.

As usual, it's available as a Pay What You Want - so, free if you're so inclined! I've experimented with a $1 price tag before, but the money it brought in was about the same, with far less people getting access to it. As the aim here is to spread Realms-love, I plan to keep this and future maps as Pay What You Want to ensure they become as widespread as possible.

Also as usual, feedback is not only welcome, it is desired. The aim here was to be as true to canon (past and present) as possible. Some sacrifices had to be made along the way, as the canon doesn't always line up - for example, Phylund Lodge used to be IN the forest, but the Scourge of the Sword Coast map, which is more recent, has it just on the edge of the forest. I've tried to get the best of both worlds by including it just inside, so the user can choose which is most appropriate - which might make more sense once you see the map.

I hope people like, and perhaps more importantly, find some use for these!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KanzenAU Posted - 21 Nov 2016 : 01:23:46
I did, but it's relatively brief, as the idea was to get people to go look at the original sources. Send me a PM though if you'd like my document of all the compiled stuff I could find. It seems to be a bit of a complex one. I was unsure if it had originally served as part of an extraplanar portal network linking elven realms across the continent, or just a few scattered portals. The original sources don't really explicitly say, although Ardeep forest is definitely a place people teleport to on their way to Evermeet. It's only modern sources that explicitly said the House was used for an extraplanar network of portals.
Cards77 Posted - 20 Nov 2016 : 20:59:25
Did you do a write up for the House of Long Silences?
Markustay Posted - 18 Nov 2016 : 06:39:32
I just noticed the plug - Thanks.
KanzenAU Posted - 18 Nov 2016 : 06:00:04
Thanks Cards! It's great to hear positive feedback.

I'm mainly into the hand-drawn look because I like handing these maps out to my players and telling them anNPC made it. That said, I plan to get a tablet I can draw on digitally once I have a job in a couple of years (still in university).

At the moment I'm scanning them and making edited versions in photoshop. My skills are very slowly refining themselves.
Cards77 Posted - 17 Nov 2016 : 23:44:54
Hey Kanzen. I love your work. Have you considered partnering with an artist to render your maps digitally in a program of some kind? I'm not against hand written maps at all mind you. I've done this successfully more than once. I did have a cost up front to the artist but it was worth it and I gave the rights to the artist, and it became their best selling map.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000