Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mirt and the Retreat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 02:15:12
I seem to recall reading somewhere that while the elven Retreat was going on, Mirt the Moneylender helped get elves to Evermeet (I'll be dipped if I can recall where I read that). And the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook names Mirt as a Sha'Quessir, or Elf-Friend.

First question: Where did I read that he helped with the Retreat?

Second question (which may have to go to Ed): Do we know how Mirt became an Elf-Friend?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KanzenAU Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 08:29:39
Thank you both for all the info, actually helps my plans a great deal.

As for Mirt, the Morning Bird, and the original questions 10 years ago, perhaps it was Mirt's help during the Retreat that gained him the status of Sha'Quessir?
I'm going to post in Ed's scroll asking for more information, hopefully there's a story there he'll be willing to share.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 02:30:32
As Markus Tay noted Glorea is noted as being part of the Fallen Kingdom in Ed's article "The Ardeep" in Dragon #270. From my earliest Fallen Kingdom notes (c.1998) is was also "Gloraela" and the name for the gnomish duchy of Phalorm, the "Fallen Kingdom" that encompassed Dolblunde and the area around Maiden's Tomb Tor.

As for the Moon Tower of Elembar, it didn't make the editorial cut for the "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" product, but made the web-enhancement.

Sevenfall was as Markus describes, a part of the unpublished (in its original form) "Under Illefarn Anew" project that Eric Boyd completed.

-- George Krashos
KanzenAU Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 01:14:47
Wow, thanks!
Markustay Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 00:39:21
I edited the above post - thats all i have.
KanzenAU Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 00:37:43
I found a reference to Hardstone, the village of gnomes, in Eric Boyd's thread, so it is indeed probably something he made.
Waypost Water though is referenced in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.
Moon Tower of Elembar is referenced in the 3e Waterdeep Environs pdf, also by Eric.

I might try and find out more about Sevenfalls and Glorea from Eric, thanks!
Markustay Posted - 13 Nov 2016 : 00:27:16
Sevenfalls is the name of the 'falls' in that river, which runs into a very hard, porous earth there at that point, so most of those 'streamlets' are running under the ground, at least most of the time, to 'fall' out of the clifface (which I believe starts to disappear right around that area - the terrain starts to level-out. I don't recall which source names it - Eric Boyd would know.

Hardstone is probably something Eric came up with - he's the one who told me to place it. I 'think' its a village of gnomes, if I'm not mistaken. I know he created Waypost Water (so I may be getting them mixed up).

'Glorea' may be a name he came up with as well, for the realm that used to include Doblunde (also not so sure about that one).

The square/locale that you see to the right/east of Stoneturn is the Moon Tower of Elembar - which I also know nothing about.

Sorry, guess I wasn't much help. Its been so long since I drew that map.

EDIT: Hardstone is indeed a 'hidden village of gnomes'. Glorea is also a gnomish name, and IS canon - it can be found in the GHotR, as well as DDUGttU, and Dragon Magazine #270, pg.94 (Eric keeps great footnotes LOL). Glorea was the gnomish duchy that was part of the Shining Kingdom.

As for Sevenfalls:
"While the drow raiders are long gone, the sinkhole leading
into the Underdark remains, now known as Sevenfalls for the
series of cascades that lead down into the depths, capturing
much of the water that drains from the Ardeep Forest. The
trickle of water that bypasses the sinkhole forms a small creek
known as the Selpir (an elven word meaning “remnant”), which
then meanders along the largely dry former riverbed down to
the sea. The Trade Way crosses the shallow Selpir a little ways
downstream of the sinkhole, at the site of a centuries-­old ford of
the now-vanished river."
- Illefarn Anew, ©Eric Boyb
KanzenAU Posted - 12 Nov 2016 : 23:16:01
Oooh! That's great, thanks!
Do you remember sources for Sevenfalls, Glorea, Stoneturn, and Hardstone? I've never come across them before.

As far as the House of Long Silences network goes, here's a quote from Scourge of the Sword Coast:
quote:
To atone for those actions, an innocent member of House Floshin swore to protect the House of Long Silences. This structure in the depths of the nearby Ardeep Forest was the destination of many portals and served as a means for elves to flee to Evermeet. It also gave access to an extraplanar nexus of portals created by elven high magic in ancient times.

On rereading it I realise I may have had it wrong, and this doesn't necessarily imply a portal TO Evermeet, and it could line up with elves fleeing first TO the House of Long Silences from other lands, before moving on to Evermeet, as described in other sources. That would mean Mirt would have had a lot more elves on his hands around 1344...

I may try and drag a story about Mirt and the Morning Bird out of Ed.

Edit: I realized Stoneturn was another name for the House of Stone.
Markustay Posted - 12 Nov 2016 : 22:23:14
You got all this, right?

Ardeep Forest and Environs
KanzenAU Posted - 12 Nov 2016 : 11:22:23
Apologies for the massive thread necromancy...
Was the Morning Bird ever mentioned anywhere else?

I ask because I've been compiling Ardeep lore, and Scourge of the Sword Coast differs from prior lore by saying that the portal at the House of Long Silences could go TO Evermeet (at least in the past), rather than just from as it does in other sources (which was necessary to explain some other plot points). This could be explained away by saying the portal was damaged somehow during the days of the Retreat, becoming only one way from Evermeet, forcing many elves to turn to Mirt for help...

But I wonder about how many elves the Morning Bird could have possibly taken, and if such a ship is perhaps still occasionally being used to take elves to and fro?

Edit: I'm aware of Mirt's merchant fleet he uses, more specifically interested in the Morning Bird itself.

Edit 2: I see that the Morning Bird actually did many covert trips rather than a single one... but my interest in any more info out there remains!
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 05:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

For the first... the 2e CoS references Mirt's activities with helping ferry elves, by way of his ship... the Morning Bird... to Evermeet.

For the second... aside from the mention in Elves of Evermeet, I don't actually recall the specifics of Mirt's status as "elf-friend" being properly detailed. Sounds like one for Ed.

I think the first reference was the Environs of Waterdeep article in Dragon #127 or #128. Look at the write-up of Ardeep Forest (assuming I'm remembering correctly).

--Eric

Aye, I recall that. 'Tis almost word-for-word what was included in the 2e CoS write-up on pg. 12.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 05:05:00
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

For the first... the 2e CoS references Mirt's activities with helping ferry elves, by way of his ship... the Morning Bird... to Evermeet.

For the second... aside from the mention in Elves of Evermeet, I don't actually recall the specifics of Mirt's status as "elf-friend" being properly detailed. Sounds like one for Ed.

I think the first reference was the Environs of Waterdeep article in Dragon #127 or #128. Look at the write-up of Ardeep Forest (assuming I'm remembering correctly).

--Eric

Page 8, issue 128... But that's about the same as the reference in the City of Splendors boxed set (which I didn't find, originally, because I was scanning for the wrong words ).
ericlboyd Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 04:26:37
quote:

--Eric
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 02:32:28

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000