Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So how come no one is discussing SKT?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 27 Aug 2016 : 13:08:01
You would think with a new adventure out people would be talking about it. I haven't seen much about it to be honest. I have seen they brought the Tressym back.

Anyone have the adventure?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KanzenAU Posted - 19 Sep 2016 : 07:05:09
That connection to the dwarves is definitely another point that could be used to tie it all together... perhaps in the early experiments to bind elementals to the "bloodforges" they had to create rifts to other planes, and along the way created a rift to their own original home world. Or, they required something from their home world to create these forges.

Thousands of years later the dwarves, also from that world, found the other side of one of these portals and came through to Toril in the Yehimal mountains.

I'm not sure how well it fits, but I've always fancied the idea of dwarf-giant animosity stemming from them both originally coming from the same world, where the dwarves were slaves of the giants.

Edit: on reflection this wouldn't fit with the all giants descended from Annam-on-Toril mythology. As an alternative, perhaps giants travelled through a gate to the dwarves' world and enslaved them there. Perhaps they were even used as slaves to build the forges - brought through from another world to be the perfect slaves for that purpose (being naturally equipped for such a task). However, all those brought to Toril early on would be worked to death. Then later, after Ostoria's fall, dwarves came to Toril through that gate.
Markustay Posted - 19 Sep 2016 : 06:06:03
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Gemstone limbs? What is that from?
It was the stuff regarding Pandorym, in Bruce Cordell's novel, Darkvision.

I found the story a bit convoluted, but it was a fun read, and the lore was pretty good, and lead us to some connections we wouldn't have otherwise made (regarding Imaskar, The Wastes, The Utter East, and even Kara-Tur and Zakhara). Seems 'imprisoning big-bad and then using him as a magical fuel source' goes all the way back to Imaskar, and perhaps beyond (let us not forget the Dragon that became the Dragonwall of Shou-Lung was also imprisoned, first by a magical mirror, and then in the wall itself).

The Bloodforges were exteremly potent magical devices. We had theorized that each contained some 'Elder Evil' (Primoridal, arch-fiend, whatever) for its power. In the video game Blood & Magic, you needed a 'pearl of Power' to control one, and the golems it created. In one case, however, a throne was used, which is what made me first theorize about there having been two sets - a 'lesser' Imaskari version, and a TRULY ANCIENT (primordial?) version that the Imaskari studied and copied. Both types would have been artifacts, but the originals would have been of a 'divine' nature and near-limitless.

Most of that is pieced-together theory from what little 'deep lore' the game had, and even less in the few sources dealing with that region. Some of our musings made it into that Vingette Brian James wrote in the GHotR.

In the Utter East project/thread, I was trying to connect them to the Vedic Pantheon (that exists in Malatra), and the fall of Tempat Larang. Their very alien nature lent itself to that pantheon rather well, IMO, and to the whole region in general (there is a Vedic-like group in the Ue called 'Mar'). HOWEVER, connecting them to the Giants works just as well - they are another truly ancient, pre-human (pre-Creator?) race, and we know that FR's dwarves originated in that mountain range (The Yehimals).
KanzenAU Posted - 19 Sep 2016 : 04:28:40
The more I think about this Bloodforge:Yak-folk link the more it appeals to me. They love slaves, and they love appealing to their god through sacrificing these slaves through elemental sacrifice. Immolation is literally one of the ways they do this.

So here's an idea I'm kicking around:
The giants create the elementally-powered forges that will later be known as "Bloodforges" at the peak of their power as a way to create more soldiers (golems) to fight the dragons and their slaves. The initial experimentation with creating these devices takes place in the Utter East, far away from where the dragons are watching. As they refine the technique, they then build a perfect one in the Ice Spires, closer to home, to create one of their mightiest weapons - the colossal golem known as the Vonindod.

However, eventually the giant empire collapses despite their efforts, thousands of years pass, etc.

The Yak-folk culture arises near the Utter East. They're told by their Faceless God to immolate people, and he's benevolent towards them if they do. So these sacrifices in some way probably empower the Faceless God. One of these giant forges happens to be in their lands, and they are encouraged by the Faceless God to use it as a ritualistic way of immolating people. They do so, and he grants them power. The term "bloodforge" comes into existence", for using sacrificial blood to forge power.

As the Yak-folk set out from their homeland to take more and more slaves, they eventually run into the "Bloodforges" in the lands of their (then primitive) neighbours in the Utter East, well before Blood & Magic. Eventually the Utter East peoples rise up and kick the Yak-folk out of their lands, and their Bloodforges go unused for centuries... until the time of Blood & Magic. Hence the name "bloodforge" comes from an Utter East term for their use in the ritualistic sacrifices of the Yak-folk (as described in the stone-carvings of their forebears), even if they're not used in this way in Blood & Magic. The peoples of the Utter East use them in the traditional way of the giants - to create golems.

But the Bloodforges had become a part of Yak-folk culture. Although they had lost what they had claimed in the Utter East, they now knew there were more beyond their homeland. And so the faithful of the Forgotten God went out in search of others, and eventually discovered ancient giant runes describing the perfect forge in the Ice Spires. And so the Yak-folk came to the Ice Spires, and have honoured the Faceless God there ever since, by sacrificing any fool that comes their way...

Just some ideas.
KanzenAU Posted - 19 Sep 2016 : 03:57:00
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As for that forge the Fire Giant has... hmmmmmm... I seem to recall something about 'BloodForges' over int he Utter East. In our investigations of all the related lore, we had pieced-together that those devices were actually prisons for beings of enormous power, that acted like 'magical batteries' and allowed users to create various things (including 'Basal Golems', which was a major aspect of the Blood & Magic video game).

So maybe that giant had a Bloodforge? That would have been powerful enough. 'Ancient Artifact from a bygone era' (Imaskari?) We had theorized that the Imaskari either created them, or created 'lesser' versions after studying them, because the Imaskari were also known for capturing and housing 'beings of immense power' (like Pandorym{sp?} )

Knowing nothing about these Bloodforges or the Utter East I did a quick google and read the bit on Bloodforges in Grand History of the Realms. The first mention of them I can find in the Grand History is 648 DR (say what you will for pdf vs hardcopy, but damn search is handy), when they're "discovered". That means someone built them a long time ago... and a possibility (although a leap of logic) would be the giants.

This thought might have ended here, if not for the presence of the Yak-folk at this forge. I had never heard of Yak-folk before, but the impression I get is that nearly all of them are in northern Zakhara - quite close to the Utter East (I think, I don't have a good head for the geography over there). What in the Hells are Yak-folk doing setting up camp over a giant forge in the Ice Spires?

Now I haven't read the adventure fully yet, but it doesn't seem to really spell out why the Yakfolk are here. It says they arrived "thousands of years after Ironslag was abandoned" (Ironslag is the fire giant forge, and the main fire giant claims it as his by "ancestral" right), and they set up a village on top of it. They've fiercely defended it ever since from dwarven attempts to claim the site's riches for themselves.

So...what if this Bloodforge thing isn't so far off the mark? It is after all, being used to recreate what is essentially a colossal golem from the days of Ostoria. Different to the Utter East ones, but still linked to golem creation. Is it possible the Yak-folk could be linked to these Bloodforges in some way? And if so, why have they just been sitting there for whoever knows how long (it's really not clear)? Maybe the Bloodforges are linked in some way to the Faceless God of the Yak-folk?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Sep 2016 : 03:09:09
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

They would have been better off using the Acorn of Wo Mei; an established powerful artifact for housing such beings of tremendous power, and canon in the Realms (Eastern Realms, but still the Realms). The thing has been a prison for an archfiend/demigod before.

As for that forge the Fire Giant has... hmmmmmm... I seem to recall something about 'BloodForges' over int he Utter East. In our investigations of all the related lore, we had pieced-together that those devices were actually prisons for beings of enormous power, that acted like 'magical batteries' and allowed users to create various things (including 'Basal Golems', which was a major aspect of the Blood & Magic video game).

So maybe that giant had a Bloodforge? That would have been powerful enough. 'Ancient Artifact from a bygone era' (Imaskari?) We had theorized that the Imaskari either created them, or created 'lesser' versions after studying them, because the Imaskari were also known for capturing and housing 'beings of immense power' (like Pandorym{sp?} )

Interesting idea... and maybe the primordial plans to insert itself into any kind of golem like creations made with this new adamantine/blood forge..... kind of like that entity way down south that was helping people with gemstone limbs.

Gemstone limbs? What is that from?
Mirtek Posted - 18 Sep 2016 : 17:43:39
One other problem with the primordial just being imprisoned in another forge is that it's not imprisoned in the forge of gauntlgrym to start with. The forge was just build next to it's prison to take advantage of leakage flowing of the prison. It's not the mere forge doing any imprisonment at all
sleyvas Posted - 18 Sep 2016 : 03:01:44
quote:

They would have been better off using the Acorn of Wo Mei; an established powerful artifact for housing such beings of tremendous power, and canon in the Realms (Eastern Realms, but still the Realms). The thing has been a prison for an archfiend/demigod before.

Interesting idea... and maybe the primordial plans to insert itself into any kind of golem like creations made with this new adamantine/blood forge..... kind of like that entity way down south that was helping people with gemstone limbs.
sleyvas Posted - 18 Sep 2016 : 02:57:19
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

That still leaves us with her prison, one of the greatest work of art in all of Faerun, collaboratively crafted from the magic of dragons, giants, arcanists, dwarves, elves and drow, simply being brushed aside by the flask.

Also once in the flask, she is supposed to be delivered to some firegiant king who just happens to have an adamantine forge able to also indefinitely imprissioning her (makes all the elves, dragons, giants, shades, etc. real bad for having to put so much effort in the old prison).

Also once inside the flask she's fully bound by it and even including to obey the holder of the flask for one hour if released.

I frankly wonder if whoever came up with this particular hook knew anything about her beside "some big fire elemental trapped under gauntlgrym - seems like a nice throwaway plot hook"

Or so they think about the new place that they're bringing the primordial. My thoughts ran along the lines of primordial wants to leave place X where they are trapped... willingly uses the iron flask knowing tha tthey'll go to place Y that they know they can escape from. Again, haven't read any of this yet. Just throwing out options that might work.
Irennan Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 23:59:18
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU
He took a week off work before writing Chapter 3 of STK to read through all the previous sourcebooks on the North (Volo's guides etc).

That's really nice to hear.
KanzenAU Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 23:55:46
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I though Chris Perkins was their story/settings guy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he is. He speaks with Sernett on the podcast, and seems to have a pretty good handle on basic Realms. He took a week off work before writing Chapter 3 of STK to read through all the previous sourcebooks on the North (Volo's guides etc). I get the impression he has good basic knowledge which allows him to get the ideas for the big stories, and then people like Sernett and Reynolds etc advise on the details. That would be my guess anyway.

Edit: I get the impression Perkins is more story guy than settings guy. He seems further along on the creative spectrum than the details spectrum. That said, like anything, it's hard to tell how much Realms-knowledge any one individual has.
KanzenAU Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 23:45:26
I listen to the podcasts. It's hard to tell if Sernett really knows his lore and is just a nervous guy, or if he just "kind of" knows it. On the podcast he never really sounds that confident when talking about Realms stuff, so it's hard to tell. Nothing has been blatantly wrong as far as I can tell.

In STK's credits, Salvatore is listed as a story consultant, so it sounds like he has had input into this adventure and would know about the Maegera plotline. Editors and editorial assistants (which I assume includes lore-policing) include Sernett and 6 others, which includes Sean K Reynolds, who has worked on a number of Realms products and seems to have a genuine interest in the setting. The other names are unfamiliar to me, but that doesn't mean they don't speak any Realmsish.
Irennan Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 23:38:34
I thought Chris Perkins was their story/settings guy. In any case, that position isn't the same as a "traffic cop". In fact, even at its very beginning, 5e already had incongruences in its dates for the events in Tyranny of Dragons.
arctic79 Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 23:25:16
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ed Greenwood was supposed to be the "Realms Traffic Cop" when 5E was announced in 2012...

They have a lore guy. Matt Sernett, he has even posted here before. Not that anyone here would care but he and chris perkins have had a lore segment on the d&d podcast for the last couple of months.
Irennan Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 22:29:27
To be fair, as far as I know, most fans got pissed at WotC, not at Lisa Smedman (although she warped a lot of the lore herself). As for retconning the dark elves, their introduction was ugly, it was forced and it had ugly implications, that defeated and flat out went against what Eilistraee stands for. So, I don't mind at all that lore that basically consisted of warping characters and their goals and ideals was retconned. It was a sort of a re-retcon from my perspective.

In general, disrespecting the lore of a shared setting is not something to be praised. RAS at least mostly stayed in his sandbox, so whatever, but it shouldn't be praised in any case.
Lilianviaten Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 22:08:41
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

If Salvatore isn't done and wants to write more of Gauntylgrym and its primordial, he will do as he always has. Ignore anything that doesn't fit his plot.

People always jump on his case for that, but I don't see anything wrong with it. WOTC has editors and, at least in the past, has had a "traffic cop" to handle discrepancies. His job is to tell great stories, and he stays in his own sandbox for the most part anyway.

The really funny thing is that for all the hatred of RSEs, he should be praised in this regard. The only major power balance that Salvatore has shifted, to my knowledge, is Luskan. Even then, that's WOTC's fault. Both Salvatore and Erik Scott de Bie wrote very compelling visions of 4e Luskan, but they are considerably different. Yet WOTC let both authors publish these books, so I can't blame the authors.

And as you can see, WOTC tosses out the continuity established by authors whenever they fee like it anyway. The most egregious example is probably Lisa Smedman. They give her the impossible task of killing off the drow pantheon and racially changing 20% of the race within 3 BOOKS!! So all the fans get pissed at her for the outcome of the novels, and then WOTC completely ignores the new "dark elves" in 5e and resurrects the whole pantheon anyway. So good for RAS doing exactly what he wants!!
Irennan Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 15:42:35
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

On the controversial Iron Flask-Maegera thing:

• The earliest mention of this goal of the fire giant lord describes it as a goal "easier imagined than accomplished".

• The fire giant lord has allied with drow of House Xorlarrin because they know the layout well, so at least it links in to previous stories. Maestro had them with a shrine set up in Maegera's chamber from memory, so they know how to get in and out (even if the dwarves can be assumed to change things up a bit). p85 on Gauntlgrym actually describes these drow as using secret paths the dwarves haven't discovered yet.

• p168 specifically describes the situation as an IF it works: characters have chances to foil it. This is enforced on p186 - there is no in-game guarantee that it will work, and so this may not make it into canon. If the characters go to Gauntlgrym, they can thwart the drow's attempt to transport Maegera to the fire giants before it occurs. My guess is that Hero and other future canon will have the attempt foiled before Maegera can be contained. It's just simpler, and it fits with the adventure.

• IF the drow succeed in getting it to the giants, the giants plan to use it to power their own forge, which is made of adamantine, and is described as an artifact(presumably better to house such a thing). The fire giant forge also has ancient rune magic protecting the forge, that also prevents Maegera from escaping. The adamantine plus rune magic thing fits well with the description of how the dwarves channel Maegera's power into the Great Forge of Gauntlgrym in the Neverwinter Campaign setting.

I have to admit, I don't particularly love that it's a "normal" Iron Flask moving a thing of such incredible power either, even if it is a legendary item. For my own campaign, if I use this thread at all (not required in the adventure), I think it will be an artifact of even more power.

A thought I had is that maybe a primordial was used by the fire giants to heat their greatest forge in the days of Ostoria. I might even go as far as to say this could be probable in the days of the greatest days of the giants, whether it was Maegera or not. If the dwarves can use it now, why not the giants at the peak of their power?

Maybe this exact Iron Flask was designed for containing Maegera (or another fire primordial) in the days of Ostoria. Maybe fire giants designed this Iron Flask for the purpose of transporting the primordial from their greatest forge (perhaps even the adventure's one in the Ice Spires) to where it now sits in Gauntlgrym, to further enhance its power with the natural energies of Mount Hotenow, and create an even more powerful forge. That event then may have ended in complete disaster, with a volcanic eruption and collapse destroying those fire giants, but leaving Maegera there to be rediscovered by the dwarves of Delzoun.

Alternatively, maybe they designed the Iron Flask to take Maegera away from Hotenow to their greatest forge all the way back then, but their plan was foiled by the war with the dragons and infighting amongst each other, and it is only now that this fire giant has finally attempted it. He'd be what, 8th generation giant from Annam according to Giantcraft? I can definitely imagine him scrounging through great great great granddaddy's things and finding details on this plan and the Iron Flask. Heh.

Edit: Added last paragraph as an alternative idea.

Ah, well, thanks for explaining it. This makes this matter not as bad as it seemed, especially since it's not a guaranteed success (and given that the players can stop it, it almost certainly will fail in canon). Still, they could have spent a few more words on something like this.
Gyor Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 15:33:36
I think the next adventure is going to be in Chult searching for the Ring of Winter.
Brimstone Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 10:16:06
The Fire Giants are trying to "re-create" a magical giant construct called a Vonindod that was used during the Dragon vs Giant Wars. Parts of it are scattered all over the North in the Uthgardt Totem Mounds and other places...

Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 07:37:04

moonbeast Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 06:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yep, though I don't usually game in that corner of the realms, I will be buying it for Chapter 3 alone. Now they need to start moving some of these adventures into other areas of the realms and fleshing out those areas.

If you think that, then why not simply give that opinion to one of the WotC bigshots? Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford are available in Twitter all the time. If I was a Twitter guy (sorry I don't have a Twitter account) that's how I'd interact with them and tell them what I feel they should do next.

It could be a simply Twitter post like "Hey Mike, I'd love to see future (adventures) campaign books set in other parts of the Realms, how about Cormyr?"

There's no harm in suggesting that.
KanzenAU Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 05:57:01
On the controversial Iron Flask-Maegera thing:

• The earliest mention of this goal of the fire giant lord describes it as a goal "easier imagined than accomplished".

• The fire giant lord has allied with drow of House Xorlarrin because they know the layout well, so at least it links in to previous stories. Maestro had them with a shrine set up in Maegera's chamber from memory, so they know how to get in and out (even if the dwarves can be assumed to change things up a bit). p85 on Gauntlgrym actually describes these drow as using secret paths the dwarves haven't discovered yet.

• p168 specifically describes the situation as an IF it works: characters have chances to foil it. This is enforced on p186 - there is no in-game guarantee that it will work, and so this may not make it into canon. If the characters go to Gauntlgrym, they can thwart the drow's attempt to transport Maegera to the fire giants before it occurs. My guess is that Hero and other future canon will have the attempt foiled before Maegera can be contained. It's just simpler, and it fits with the adventure.

• IF the drow succeed in getting it to the giants, the giants plan to use it to power their own forge, which is made of adamantine, and is described as an artifact(presumably better to house such a thing). The fire giant forge also has ancient rune magic protecting the forge, that also prevents Maegera from escaping. The adamantine plus rune magic thing fits well with the description of how the dwarves channel Maegera's power into the Great Forge of Gauntlgrym in the Neverwinter Campaign setting.

I have to admit, I don't particularly love that it's a "normal" Iron Flask moving a thing of such incredible power either, even if it is a legendary item. For my own campaign, if I use this thread at all (not required in the adventure), I think it will be an artifact of even more power.

A thought I had is that maybe a primordial was used by the fire giants to heat their greatest forge in the days of Ostoria. I might even go as far as to say this could be probable in the days of the greatest days of the giants, whether it was Maegera or not. If the dwarves can use it now, why not the giants at the peak of their power?

Maybe this exact Iron Flask was designed for containing Maegera (or another fire primordial) in the days of Ostoria. Maybe fire giants designed this Iron Flask for the purpose of transporting the primordial from their greatest forge (perhaps even the adventure's one in the Ice Spires) to where it now sits in Gauntlgrym, to further enhance its power with the natural energies of Mount Hotenow, and create an even more powerful forge. That event then may have ended in complete disaster, with a volcanic eruption and collapse destroying those fire giants, but leaving Maegera there to be rediscovered by the dwarves of Delzoun.

Alternatively, maybe they designed the Iron Flask to take Maegera away from Hotenow to their greatest forge all the way back then, but their plan was foiled by the war with the dragons and infighting amongst each other, and it is only now that this fire giant has finally attempted it. He'd be what, 8th generation giant from Annam according to Giantcraft? I can definitely imagine him scrounging through great great great granddaddy's things and finding details on this plan and the Iron Flask. Heh.

Edit: Added last paragraph as an alternative idea.
KanzenAU Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 03:18:22
The map from SKT has been released as a met goal on the D&D Extra Life page. It's publicly available, but it's also a great cause!
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=27339
Fellfire Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 00:43:15
If Salvatore isn't done and wants to write more of Gauntylgrym and its primordial, he will do as he always has. Ignore anything that doesn't fit his plot.
Lamora Posted - 17 Sep 2016 : 00:20:16
My main problem was more along the lines of Salvatore detailing book after book about the primordial, and he finally solved the riddle of the primordial by reestablishing the Drarven Kingdom of Gauntylgrym to always prevent the beast from escaping. And the next thing Wizards does is allow it to escape. I am an only Books guy, no game, so if Salvatore and others are really done in the Realms then I guess I won't have to worry about this again anyway. It just annoys me a bit.
Mirtek Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 23:21:05
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Or being pasted out because of the water elementals for over millenia, its pretty weak and vulnerible for a Primordial.

Well, it was build over her while she was out from being smote down by a deity, it just prevented her from getting fully back on her feet.

And even that required a miles long arcane apparatus crafted and kept operating by the one of the most powerful magics ever assempled by mortals on Toril
Gyor Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 23:01:50
Or being pasted out because of the water elementals for over millenia, its pretty weak and vulnerible for a Primordial.
Mirtek Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 22:56:35
That still leaves us with her prison, one of the greatest work of art in all of Faerun, collaboratively crafted from the magic of dragons, giants, arcanists, dwarves, elves and drow, simply being brushed aside by the flask.

Also once in the flask, she is supposed to be delivered to some firegiant king who just happens to have an adamantine forge able to also indefinitely imprissioning her (makes all the elves, dragons, giants, shades, etc. real bad for having to put so much effort in the old prison).

Also once inside the flask she's fully bound by it and even including to obey the holder of the flask for one hour if released.

I frankly wonder if whoever came up with this particular hook knew anything about her beside "some big fire elemental trapped under gauntlgrym - seems like a nice throwaway plot hook"
Irennan Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 17:59:10
IIRC, Maegera is imprisoned in Gauntlgrym, forced into some kind of slumber through the use of water elementals which costantly flood its chamber. It's also used to power the forge in Gauntlgrym. The last time it was freed, Neverwinter was razed to the ground. I think that it is possible that it wanted to be freed, and purposefully let the flask contain it, in order to break free from the prison.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 17:33:13
I literally JUST got my copy 2 minutes ago. But something just occurred to me about the iron flask / primordial thing.... and bear in mind I know nothing of the 4e lore regarding neverwinter and some bound primordial..... but what if the primordial WANTED to escape where he was. Could he make this iron flask able to transport himself? I'm thinking maybe.... Maybe it figured wherever it might be brought to would be easier to escape from?
Markustay Posted - 16 Sep 2016 : 17:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Sorry man, humor is my attempt to cope with the horror of it all.
Had absolutely NOTHING to do with you. I'm talking about the conversation in-general.

People who loved the 'old' Realms greatly dislike most of the changes, thus constant negativity (which is fine - I feel the same way).

People who like the changes have to put up with all that negativity here (which makes me wonder why they even bother).

But really, my comment was aimed more at the lore itself. Its become 'comic bookish', in that every time some new writer gets their hands on the material, they decided to completely ignore the past so that they can shoe-horn in all their 'kewl new ideas'. Both industries (along with so many others, like film) have become a cesspit of 'fan-fiction' made canon. And not the 'good kind'... the bad kind people make fun of.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000