Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's Guide to Monsters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delwa Posted - 02 Jun 2016 : 03:22:59
Details at link.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 09 Nov 2016 : 14:05:52
As I recall, Alaundo has said that merging matters such as those suggested for similar scrolls, is currently outside the purview of the forum software.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2016 : 14:52:32
It depends on the critter. Beholders were setting-neutral, but giants are Realms-specific. That's as far as I've read, thus far -- I've only skimmed the playable races section.

As for merging the scrolls, so far as I know, the forum software either doesn't permit this or doesn't make it easy.
questing gm Posted - 08 Nov 2016 : 11:37:57
I'm already hearing talks about the new playable races and monsters in the new Volo's Guide, but does anyone here with the book can say if the lore of the monsters presented there are Realms-specific or tend to be more generic to be plugged into any other settings?

I might have noticed in some of the previews where Realmsian monsters like the Leucrotta have had their origin lore painted over with something not so tied to the Realms.

(Also why isn't this scroll merged with the other scroll with the exact title?)
sleyvas Posted - 04 Nov 2016 : 00:17:23
looks like a lot of giants and beholder kin, illithids, and other aberrations. Still its got the official froghemoth, and I was just about to use them for the very first time.
Gyor Posted - 03 Nov 2016 : 23:58:14
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm actually thinking those are snakes, as in 'Snake Pit'.

EDIT: Egads! Someone buy that poor stone Giant a cheeseburger!

Its a giant, buy him the cow the beef and cheese came from.
Markustay Posted - 03 Nov 2016 : 01:47:27
I'm actually thinking those are snakes, as in 'Snake Pit'.

EDIT: Egads! Someone buy that poor stone Giant a cheeseburger!
moonbeast Posted - 03 Nov 2016 : 01:21:03
Yes, with the obvious tentacle appendages, I first thought that he was an Illithid servant or thrall of some type. But the Volos Guide previews say nothing about linking the Pit Master with mind flayers. He could just as easily be a servitor to another tentacled race. Aboleths perhaps. Is there another tentacular race?
eeorey Posted - 02 Nov 2016 : 11:30:28
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast
#2. Pit Master. What on earth is it?? An aberration to be sure, but is Pit Master a member of another Monster Manual race? Where else can he be found besides an old-fashioned Texas BBQ?

I'm thinking an extra corrupted slave that acts as a slave-driver/warden for the others slaves in an illithid colony or perhaps an aboleth's lair.
moonbeast Posted - 02 Nov 2016 : 03:21:54
Two things:

#1. Here is one of the better "previews" of Volo's Guide I could find so far.
http://www.tribality.com/2016/10/24/dd-volos-guide-to-monsters-previews/

#2. Pit Master. What on earth is it?? An aberration to be sure, but is Pit Master a member of another Monster Manual race? Where else can he be found besides an old-fashioned Texas BBQ?

Charles Rampant Posted - 29 Oct 2016 : 21:06:34
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Why does this book costs so much while other 5E books with more pages cost less?

To maintain profit margin, probably. The book will be priced and shaped according to how many copies they expect to sell; at the same price point as the MM, but fewer buyers, they'll need the book to be smaller (i.e. cheaper) to make the same return.

Pretty much the same reason why 'boutique' items cost more than 'budget' ones, even if they have the same basic materials and similar profit margins for the overall line: number of buyers.
farinal Posted - 29 Aug 2016 : 14:47:23
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

You can get the book for 34 dollar from Amazon and Chapter.ca I believe.

it's 49 normally but 42 on discount price on Amazon now.
Gyor Posted - 29 Aug 2016 : 12:33:09
You can get the book for 34 dollar from Amazon and Chapter.ca I believe.
Khelben Posted - 13 Aug 2016 : 06:58:16
quote:

The first ones are to get you hooked. Honest Wizards needs to come out with cheaper PDF verisons.

The releases are longer in between and I'll always prefer paper over pdf - but that's just me
Gyor Posted - 12 Aug 2016 : 17:38:46
The first ones are to get you hooked. Honest Wizards needs to come out with cheaper PDF verisons.
farinal Posted - 12 Aug 2016 : 14:03:47
Why does this book costs so much while other 5E books with more pages cost less?
Gyor Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 15:40:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A little hooded bird flits past, just long enough to murmur:
The cultures sections REALLY pleased Ed!
;)
love,
THO

I wonder if planetouched or Mulhorand will be one of those cultures?
Gyor Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 15:38:16
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

Its been confirmed by Mike Mearls that Aasimar in the Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Huh. Are they different from the DMG ones, or are they just providing variants like they did for the Tiefling in SCAG?

I doubt it will be like in the SCAG, there might be the basic stats, plus variants, but we won't knkw for certain until its spoiled or released.
The Sage Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 14:50:33
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

;)
love,
THO

Oooo! Can you possibly share any potential hints about what cultures particularly tickled Ed's fancy?
Irennan Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 02:16:07
That's really good to hear. I'm looking forward to this book.
The Hooded One Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 01:36:15
;)
love,
THO
Delwa Posted - 04 Aug 2016 : 23:38:23
quote:

Huh. Are they different from the DMG ones, or are they just providing variants like they did for the Tiefling in SCAG?
Gyor Posted - 04 Aug 2016 : 23:30:50
The Sage Posted - 01 Aug 2016 : 15:03:10
Interesting choices, both.

The old planewalker site compiled most of the official information from those games on the gith races too, as I recall.
WarBaby2 Posted - 31 Jul 2016 : 16:05:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I hear there are going to be some cultures section like Gith, Goblins, ect...

Either or both will be welcome. And I hope the Gith section includes diverse information of the various incarnations of the basic Gith species.

Would be nice to finally see some more info about the followers of Zerthimon... I've been using house rules created from Planescape Torment and NWN2 for Zerth characters for a decade now.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jul 2016 : 04:31:11
quote:

Either or both will be welcome. And I hope the Gith section includes diverse information of the various incarnations of the basic Gith species.
Delwa Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 16:14:44
quote:

That I'm really looking forward to. I'm developing a love for Gith, and anything on them is welcome.
Gyor Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 16:12:22
Irennan Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 23:01:40
Ed's new article, related to the book: http://tinyurl.com/jkkzjf4
Gyor Posted - 05 Jun 2016 : 20:00:09
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

What was everyone's beef with SCAG? I thought it was a decent book.

My beef is that it was *way* too short. A lot of the changes (most of the stuff that returned) were also barely explained--or explored--(likely as a result of its limited size), so it felt like some kind of weird in-universe retcon, if that makes any sense.

This sums it up well.

In my annoyance at no FRCG, I'm been ignoring D&D in favour of the CoD (Chonicles of Darkness, which is basically New World of Darkness 2e, looking forward to Changeling 2e).

But Volo's Guide to Monsters has me really intrigued. I'd love more details like a list of monsters in it, especially the playable ones and ones that can be summoned by PC spells, but I doubt that will happen.

One thing I like about CoD is the greater transparency/communication.
moonbeast Posted - 04 Jun 2016 : 02:26:41
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I hope they FINALLY break away from republishing all the same monsters over again. On average the monsters in these books have been done at least 5 to 7 times before (not including the ones that had original entries in magazines).

I understand that some are common, but enough already - move on to something else :)

All monster ideas have already been done to death. There really is nothing left to create. I guess they can create some silly-stupid surreal monster with weird unpredictable features and an equally bizarre alien name and disposition. Oh wait…. the Jabberwocky has already been done since 1st edition AD&D.

Try coming up with a "new" monster idea yourself, and I can tell you that you are simply copying something that was already done by 35+ years of D&D, Pathfinder, Tunnels & Trolls, GammaWorld, Traveller, or Call of Cthulhu, etc. All you are doing is simply giving it a new name.

And if you truly do come up with something completely new and bizarrely interesting …. I'll bet good money that you just created a monster that belongs more in weird Pulp-Science Fiction rather than traditional (D&D) high fantasy.

Look at the existing Science Fiction games, they have Monster Creation tables that allow you to come up with a 5-eyed, 16-tentacles, fire-breathing, half-bat, half-ogre, half-gnome, and 100% Drow monster. It can fly, it can breath underwater, and it can speak fluent Klingonese. It also has 3 types of special attacks. It also has the psionic abilities of the most elite Zhodani Psionic Special Forces Commando.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000