Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does anyone still buy NEW?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 19:42:43
So I go over to B&N today to kill some time during my lunch break. I see a massmarket paperback book that I've been waiting years for that was finally released in that format. I snatch it up and walk around the store a bit before glancing at the back cover and see the price tag: $9.99. It was then that I realized it's been awhile since I purchased a new book from a store, leading to my curiosity on what other scribes are doing ....

Are you still buying brand new books from the bookstore? (any format book, any type of bookstore, ie online) This applies to Realms-related stuff and other books as well. Maybe I'm in the minority since I have access to a fabulous local used bookstore, in addition to Amazon/eBay like everyone else, but I think I might be done with purchasing new, unless of course it's one of those rare gems that you are drooling for.

Thoughts?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 02 Sep 2016 : 21:22:05
I got my Core 5e books from an online retailer (used work comp points, so it was basically free) but if I didn't have that route I'd have gone to B&N to get them. I still enjoy going to the book stores, especially Half-Price Books because there's always a good chance there's a few supplements, adventures, accessories, of 3.5/4e/5e in there to grab at a decent price. I picked up Legend of the Crystal Shard for $9.99 (a malleable adventure for 3.5, 4e, or 5e) and was super excited.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Sep 2016 : 17:56:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Yes, I still buy new books. It goes back to the days when I was a child and the thrill of a new book.

My son recently started kindergarten, and the other day brought home one of the flyers from the Scholastic Reading Club. That took me back! I was always really stoked about getting new books through those, back when I was a kid.

So my little guy and I happily perused the flyer, picking out books for him. He enjoyed doing this, but I don't think he was quite as enthusiastic as Daddy was.
aries04 Posted - 01 Sep 2016 : 16:25:24
I basically get ebooks for my fiction reading now. Far easier to store :)
Kiaransalyn Posted - 13 Aug 2016 : 08:25:25
Yes, I still buy new books. It goes back to the days when I was a child and the thrill of a new book. The way the pages don't fall open until I find a favourite section.

On another note, I was in a D&D/gaming shop the other day and saw the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. After looking at the price tag I thought that I could buy it for cheaper on Amazon. Realising how much I like browsing in that shop made me buy the book there and then.
KismetRose Posted - 12 Aug 2016 : 21:03:32
I don't buy as many books as I used to, but when I do, I buy used or I buy new from Kickstarters. There are few rare exceptions to that. Just about everything I buy is online and has been for quite some time.
DiscerningDM Posted - 02 Aug 2016 : 06:02:41
I buy new, but digital-only for fiction. If audible is available I buy both audible and the book together so I can listen during my commute and pick up where I left off for my evening reading.
BrianDavion Posted - 31 Jul 2016 : 03:21:30
I stopped buying FR stuff when 4th edition came out, WOTC had, bluntly put, taken a setting I'd loved and made it a new setting, why would I wanna read it.

I've been slowly getting back in with 5th edition but there's not much to buy if you've grown tired of drizzt.
froglegg Posted - 28 Jul 2016 : 23:00:28
Yes, 5th Edition has brought me back as far as picking up new stuff.

John
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 28 Jul 2016 : 07:28:55
For non-Realms books I also prefer to buy them new
Mirtek Posted - 28 Jul 2016 : 07:03:19
As for non-realms-gaming stuff or just stuff in general I always buy new except when it's only available as used
Bulak Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 23:13:35
I used to buy a lot more books than I do now. This goes for both Forgotten Realms books, other RPG books and other books in general. The reason is the same for all kinds of books: I don't have as much time to read as I used to.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 15:45:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What about non-Realms material? The question was a general one, but I see a lot of people here focusing on just Realms stuff.

I didn't specifically note that, so I'll simply say that my previous philosophy of RPG book purchases, pretty much applies to just about everything published for role-playing games either generally or setting-specific.
Cards77 Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 15:10:43
I only buy books relating to the Realms, so I don't have a "general" vote. I have my field manuals for identification of plants, birds, fish, mushrooms etc that I bought long ago so I no longer really buy general books.
Adhriva Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 12:48:09
The majority of books I purchase are art reference books (fashion, architecture, interior design, plants, anatomy (human and animal), arms and armor, etc) which are already expensive as hell. Even at half-priced, you're still looking at $20+ each. As such, I only buy used unless the only option is new if I want to be sure it will last for years. Most novels (Realm books in this case) I have are often on the Kindle - I have a few hard copies but they are aging, they have been read through a few too many times to be structurally sound, and I don't get to sit down and just read a hard copy book any more so...
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 12:38:22
I don't buy near the books I did when I was younger, but I both new gaming material/books and non-gaming books. By new though, some of the books may have been printed 20 years ago, but its a new copy that I'm buying off amazon. I rarely visit used books anymore, as I buy most of my used stuff through amazon as well. I have an old used book store still around that I used to go to 20+ years ago, and I recently went there with my girlfriend and we bought a stack of maybe 10 books, but the selection was poor (and most of those were for her daughter).

By the way, on the side of non-gaming, American Gods by Neil Gaiman and Curse of Chalion/Paladin of Souls/Hallowed Hunt were some that I've discovered only in the past few years that I recommend (along with the Song of Fire and Ice trilogy... but if there's anyone here that's not reading those, I'm surprised). Also, the old Deryni series is still being written on, and I'd recommend if you can get the originals (Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate / High Deryni and the prequels involving Camber) it is well worth the read. In fact, given that Impiltur has a sizable population whose genealogy goes back to ancient Jhaamdath.... it could be interesting if Impiltur's paladins/churches don't trust psionicists kind of mirroring the Deryni idea of psions having to keep themselves hidden and people even wondering if they're a myth.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 10:17:59
What about non-Realms material? The question was a general one, but I see a lot of people here focusing on just Realms stuff.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 08:05:15
I apply a rather simple philosophy. If the printed source provides material that I can make use of in my games, then I'll buy it. If it's a source that I can make use of later, then I'll either wait for it to hit the bargain bin, or until it's made over into e-book format.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 07:30:49
Yes...I buy new books... Actually, D&D books of the Realms i buy them in 2 copies...One for gaming use and one for my collection which i keep in protective bag in brand-new condition...
Shadowsoul Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 07:09:03
I couldn't be arsed, unlike I used to, because of how utter shite the books are now. It still amazes me how the quality of products has taken a nose dive and burned to death in a flaming inferno.

If I come across something I actually like then I will pay whatever price is on it.
Brimstone Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 04:20:48
I tend to buy Realms Novels from Half Priced Books, unless its a new Hard Cover like Death Masks.

I did buy Princes Of The Apoc and Out of The Abyss for $34 each at Barnes and Noble last Saturday. Two 20% off coupons, along with 20% off for members.

That would make me a yes and no...
Thrasymachus Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 03:48:35
Yes new and only physical books. I don’t do the kindle type thing.
Yeah, I am that guy.

It’s cost me some tales I would pay through the nose for to have a physical copy. One of my favorite Realms authors is Richard Lee Byers. After gobbling up everything he did for the Realms I went back and started reading his earlier works. That’s something that I haven’t done for any of the other Realms authors. Last time I checked everything Byers does now is electronic only.
I miss Byers, but I have a stack of books so high that I know I have to take up a workout program so I can live long enough to do tackle the stack.

I admit I am fringe. I also know looking around these halls that no one can really point fingers about fringyness.

But I will buy old when I can’t get new. Ebay is killing me.
Cards77 Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 01:39:11
Any books that I am or would be interested in, including gaming supplements are no longer in print so I literally cannot buy anything "new" at a book store. Nor would I, 90% of what's out there now is utter garbage and that includes gaming supplements (including Realms material with few exceptions).

Right now the best material for the Realms isn't even nor will it ever be published. The only place i'd ever consider buying another "new" supplement would be on DM's Guild or if George Krashos, Jeremey Greenmeyer, Ed Greenwood, Richard Baker, Elaine Cunningham, Eric Boyd, Richard Lee Byers and Bruce Cordell started to publish all the awesome lore they've been hoarding these many years.

I would cut off my finger for the materials that that Eric Boyd has on the High Forest, and virtually anything that George has been working on.

I would pay literally any price. That is priceless lore.

I would pay pretty much anything to just pick Rich Baker's mind of Realmslore for a few hours.

He's already forgotten more Realmslore than most of us will ever know.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 00:10:28
Yes, but not nearly as much as in the past. Mostly because of time constraints.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 23:04:18
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I will be buying Brent Weeks' next book in lightbringer.

I'm still waiting on book 2 in massmarket paperback format. It's driving me crazy.
Firestorm Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 22:53:41
I did until they stopped producing books from authors I like.
I buy digital books more now.

I still occasionally buy a book. But losing Kemp and others because they are cheap penny pinching idiots, cancelling several other authors books, and a general disinterest in new authors outside the realms has culled my book buying.

I will be buying Brent Weeks' next book in lightbringer.
Mirtek Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 22:16:01
Since I reached the edge of the release schedule I started to buy twice. Once upon kindle release to read as soon as possible and a second time once the paperback is released to put it into my collection

While still pursuing my collection I bought anything new that just came out or was still available at amazon or the local gaming stores and also bought a lot of used paperbacks on ebay if I couldn't find them anywhere else
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 21:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

While it was, partially, a preference for buying stuff new, the larger reason was the selection. I had perused the shelves of the used bookstore so oft that I had pretty much gotten all that I wanted that they had. Going elsewhere was necessary, for the books I wanted.

I'm lucky here because my place is constantly stocking new stuff for fantasy books and even RPGs. Just the other day they had a full set of the Encyclopedia Magica 1-4. Each one looked brand new. I picked up 3 and 4 to complete my collection for much less than I've seen them sell for online.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 21:25:04
I used to make heavy use of a nearby used bookstore, but that was when my funding was quite limited. As my paychecks gradually got bigger, I made less trips to that bookstore and more trips to the places selling new stuff.

While it was, partially, a preference for buying stuff new, the larger reason was the selection. I had perused the shelves of the used bookstore so oft that I had pretty much gotten all that I wanted that they had. Going elsewhere was necessary, for the books I wanted.

It got to where I was only hitting the used place a few times a year... Then one day, I realized I'd not been in several months, and drove over -- and the place was gone. That really sucked.

I'm sure there are other used book stores in this area, but I've gotten into the habit of buying new and/or online; again, because of selection.

Sometimes I'll go a month or so without buying new books... But that's pretty rare. I've bought a handful this month already, there's one that came out today that I want, and my next Amazon order (in a few days) will include another book.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 20:51:22
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Physical books are a precious thing. I try to get as many as I can, including all my gaming materials. I find it much easier to reference things in hard copy.

I agree, I just buy all of my books used so long as they still appear pristine.

Arivia Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 20:46:57
Physical books are a precious thing. I try to get as many as I can, including all my gaming materials. I find it much easier to reference things in hard copy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000