Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 favorite adventure book lorewise

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
farinal Posted - 14 May 2016 : 03:01:25
what is your favorite forgotten realms advanture book lorewise? I have lot of the old sourcebooks and such but I never checked the old 2E adventures for the Realms before. The crunch or small technical details are not important for me but lore and storywise which adventure you enjoyed most and why?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VikingLegion Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:28:16
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint
The Hordelands Trilogy
My nr.1 in conbination with the hordelands boxset. Awesome, breathtaking journey full of fantastic encounters, unfamiliar customs, for a group used to play in the Dalelands I DMed back then. If memory don't fails me the adventure touched even the borders of Kara-Tur.

You beat me to it. I opened up this thread with this specific set of adventures already in mind. I also DMd a primarily Dalelands/Cormanthor/Moonsea focused campaign, but at some point 2 of my 4 players decided they wanted to try more eastern flavored heroes (a monk and a samurai). We conceived a really intricate backstory where one was hunting the other for a deed that was wrongfully attributed and they ended up meeting the rest of the party in the west, where their fight was broken up and the entire group decided to travel back to their homeland to get to the bottom of the mystery.

So many great memories: the fabled city of Ra-Khati, the purple dragon Gaumahavi, the lich/emperor Ambuchar Devayim aka Tan Chin and his banshee wife Kuo Meilan, the Stone Scepter of Shih. I had excellent players back then, who fully embraced this storyline. This several months long arc was the finest D&D I've ever been involved in, and no table I've sat at before or since, as player or DM, matched that magical time.
sleyvas Posted - 18 May 2016 : 01:36:47
You know.... most of my favorite adventures were actually in dungeon magazine. I found them as something more playable in short bursts for my gaming group, whereas other adventures like undermountain would just drag on so long that they would forget their end goal.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 May 2016 : 00:17:56
I actually haven't read most of the adventures, myself, preferring to stick with novels and sourcebooks... But two "adventure" books do spring to mind, because they were an odd amalgam of sourcebook and module: FA1 Halls of the High King and the often-maligned Mysteries of the Moonsea. And obviously, I favor those precisely because of how much lore is in them.

Mysteries of the Moonsea also gave me a hook I needed for one of my Lords of Waterdeep. His backstory was very weak until that book reminded me of the one nugget of Realmslore that I needed to turn his story from a weak, overly complex origin story to something much more tightly focused and workable.
Faraer Posted - 17 May 2016 : 23:12:30
As Dewaint mentions, the FRE Avatar modules are like a companion to the Old Grey Box, showing more of the areas they pass through and other characters active in the region. The adventures drawn more or less directly from Ed Greenwood's campaign, including FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, Ruins of Undermountain and Ruins of Myth Drannor, are again as much sourcebooks as scenarios -- such a shame so relatively few of them were published. Steven Schend's The Fall of Myth Drannor is very much a continuation of Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves. Those are what first spring to mind.
Diffan Posted - 17 May 2016 : 09:36:42
Not haven't played much pre-3e I guess I'd have to go with Cormyr: tearing of the weave.
Misereor Posted - 17 May 2016 : 09:08:53

2e Adventures. (Not a module, but it has "adventure" in the title)
It added a huge amount of very cool lore to the Realms. Particularly the City entries were useful.

2e Draconomicon was pretty cool too, and had some neat adventures too.
Some 20 years later, my players still occasionally talk about how their players got charmed by Ralas the Black Dragon. It sidetracked the campaign for weeks as they made an official fan club for the dragon and set up manufacturing of various collectibles for resale, to add to his hoard.

Dewaint Posted - 15 May 2016 : 23:52:10
mhhh ... lorewise

if we speak of 2e FR adventure modules, providing regional as well as backgrounds to countries and peoples then my favorites probably are:

The Avatar Trilogy
It provided a nice summary and previously unknown lore of the regions and cities the adventure took the players through.

and

The Hordelands Trilogy
My nr.1 in conbination with the hordelands boxset. Awesome, breathtaking journey full of fantastic encounters, unfamiliar customs, for a group used to play in the Dalelands I DMed back then. If memory don't fails me the adventure touched even the borders of Kara-Tur.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000